Nice atmosphere. Offering German and international plus coffee, cake, and snacks. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, German, Asian, International, Beer/Wine

KGeorgiou
KGeorgiou

favorite vegan restaurant in Hamburg

Posted on 05 / 23 / 2015

Just perfect!! I'm a frequent costumer and they surprise me, with their often changing menus, every time anew.

Pros: everything
Semiconductor
Semiconductor

It's a question of speed

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2015

No doubt, the Leaf is one of the best vegan/vegetarian restaurants in Hamburg. It's not a restaurant where you can eat until one is full. It's creative cooking to some extent. The menu is small, but changing regularly.

It's small, and I like the interior. I've been there two times, and the real problem is the service: It takes much too long till the meals are served. And that's why I throw it from my list.
Updated from previous review on Sunday April 12, 2015

Pros: Quality, Creativity
Cons: Service, Speed
ChristianaHasldorf
ChristianaHasldorf

Gourmet!

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2014

This is a great place to have an exquisite dinner. We did. I can`t remember the name of the dish I had but it was so delicious. I could not even tell what I was eating, there was something similar to calamares in it, but I trust that it was all vegan! The decoration and the atmosphere are great, too.

Hafenhase
Hafenhase

Nice place for vegan dining

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2014

Try the root beet soup! I love it!
They offer good wines and nice food. Price is ok. Cheesecake Berliner was la little too sour.

Pros: warm atmosphere, big portions, good music
Cons: no chocolate or praline
elrujo
elrujo

HIGH END VEGAN RESTAURANT

Posted on 03 / 09 / 2014

if u want a slightly classy vegan place u really want to c this one

Pros: great location, warm people
Cons: little portions & expensive
vegitill
vegitill

Best veganrestaurant I know in Hamburg

Posted on 01 / 01 / 2014

I've been here several times and I simply love it. The menue changes every two or three month and offers just a few options of verry delicious and creative food.
You have to reserve a table, otherwise you won't get a seat. I've been there with friends, family, and business partners, with vegs, vegans and omnivores - everyone loved the food. It's allways hard to choose the meal, because everything sounds so good.
The stuff is friendly and the vintage tables and seats let you feal like home. :)

Pros: Creative Food, Changing menue
Cons: It's slightly too expansive to go there as often a
Seahorsea
Seahorsea

Disappointing

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2013

Before I say anything else, I'd like to say that I am pleased and appreciative that there is actually a vegan restaurant in Hamburg! I read the reviews online, and came here quite excited to maybe finally experience some amazing vegan food in Germany, as so far I haven't experienced anything worth repeating.
I am also someone who spends quite a bit of time on the west coast of the United States, where one can be spoiled with so much choices and abundance of healthy, organic, vibrant vegan food. So I do have quite a high standard I suppose.....

That said, I do feel compelled to say, that our dinner at Leaf was hugely disappointing. Huge plates with small portions and a high price. Lots of dishes relying on seitan, tofu, and flour, which I find all quite unhealthy. No fresh greens or raw salads of any kind. Strange food combining, with melon in some savory dishes, which nutritionally, to me spells bad digestion.
Our salad was nothing more than a tiny pile of shaved cucumbers with some nori in a sauce and a little chunk of grilled watermelon...so little food and not very satisfying. We had a creamy green bean soup that said it had smoked tofu, which was more like those little soy protein crumbles. OK flavour for a soup but very very little served in the biggest bowl I've ever seen.
The main dish was the worst. There were four choices- 2 with seitan, one with polenta, and I forget the last. I normally don't go for seitan but we thought we'd give it a try without so many options. It was just a big pile of seitan with a port-wine sauce and some kind of floury white gratin. It was seriously like bland cafeteria food. Sad.
After all this, I wasn't brave enough nor wanted to spend another 10 Euro on dessert.
Just not very tasty flavorful food...some creative ideas and unusual combinations but it didn't all meld into a sensational delicious experience for my palate.

I feel a bit bad to say it, with so many glowing reviews, and I can say the place is cute and cozy, and our server was friendly (for German eating-out standards....)
But honestly the food, in my opinion, was terrible for the price.

Updated from previous review on Thursday September 19, 2013

Pros: friendly, cozy, creative, organic
Cons: expensive, small portions, not so tasty, not very healthy
  • meringa meringa

Thank you!
    I had exactly the same sad and expensive experience in this "restaurant". Bis dishes and nothing healthy on them, i think they work a lot because the strong gentrification in the area :-(

Arya
Arya

Excellent meal in a lovely, cosy place

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

We had dinner at Leaf restaurant for our anniversary. Such a cosy, well decorated place with friendly staff. We had 3 course meal, which was very well presented, delicious and tasteful. Very nice and different soft drinks also a menu in English which was a bonus. We were very pleased with everything . If we visit Hamburg again, we will eat in this place again for sure.
Updated from previous review on Monday July 08, 2013

Veganda
Veganda

Food that makes a bad day turn good

Posted on 05 / 15 / 2013

they have good and even better days. Food is always good but sometimes it is really a revolution of tastes. Their "egg nogg" dessert is of such kind... great cakes as well.

Pros: simply delicious, nice staff
Cons: sometimes the food takes quite long
David Jones
David Jones

Delicious food and delightful cosy atmosphere.

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

I can sincerely say that Leaf has provided me with the best meals I ever ate in Hamburg. In many ways Leaf even surpasses Terre à Terre in Brighton, England - which many regard as Europe's best veggie restaurant. Leaf is 100% vegan, so the food is even healthier, and the warm atmosphere just adds to the great experience.
Also very nice drinks and a menu in English.
If you're in Northern Germany then I can thoroughly recommend making a detour to visit this gem of a restaurant.

Pros: Remarkable food, lovely atmosphere
Cons: pity I don't live in Hamburg !
NIlsI
NIlsI

Haute cuisine

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2013

The menu at the 'Leaf' is changeing every five weeks and I experienced all menus in the last year.
I can say that the food is excellent, different and with a lot of love! Every menu is surprising me again and again. The higher price is justified because of the high quality, difficulty level and the brilliant tast.
There are always options without soy, gluten or raw. They really do everything by themself so it's always possible to change something.

Furthermore, they offer a wide range of different excellent wines, spirits, selfmade lemonade and other drinks.

The 'Leaf' is one of my favourite restaurants! You should not miss that when you are in Hamburg
Updated from previous review on Friday April 05, 2013

Pros: excellent food, changing menu, friendy staff
Aricakes
Aricakes

Wonderful

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2013

Lovely place with a lovely atmosphere, great food and generous portions too, with really friendly service. Can't say enough good things about it, will definitely go back if I'm ever in Hamburg again.

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Great service
Nicolas
Nicolas

Great experience not to be missed in Hamburg

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

I went there on a Sunday night after spotting the place on HC. I showed up at 10pm and although they were running out of food, I was eventually offered a meal consisting of pastas & gulash with seitan. I was even alarmed by the team that my meal may not suit my alcool-free lifestyle as the gulash was cooked with wine. I had a delicious panna cotta for desert. Moreover on this rainy evening, I was happy to find a cosy location with nice music in the background and a helpful team.
Maybe the only neutral feedback would be Id rather have had wholewheat pastas instead of white, but this is only a detail.

Pros: Tasteful, Friendly service, Nice atmosphere
JackityJack
JackityJack
  • raw

Good size starters

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2012

Although I thought the main courses were a bit expensive (around €15-€16) I was happy with the appetizers at between €4 and €6 and found the portion sizes to be really generous.

I had a large appetizer salad for €8 and there was plenty to eat and my fried had the coconut soup for €4 and it was also huge for the price. Also the freshly squeezed juice was only €2 which was a bargain.

The staff didn't seems at all troubled that we were only eating starters and they were very nice.

More raw food would of course be welcome but it was a nice upmarket place to eat and chill out.

Recommended.

Pros: Big starters
Cons: Expensive Main courses
TonyF
TonyF

Great VEGAN restaraunt

Posted on 08 / 24 / 2012

Leaf is a great VEGAN restaurant; I went there with some non-veggie work colleagues for dinner. The food and the service were excellent and everyone was impressed! Keep-up the good work Leaf; I'll be back next time I'm in Hamburg!

vegantonio
vegantonio

Nice place, good food, fair prices

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

We were there in June 2012 and we enjoi the place and the food. It was so nice that we decided after we had a brunch in a nice sunny day to comeback in the evening to eat for dinner. The personnel is very friendly and as loving hut was closed in the week, this remained the only vegan option. Food is fine with some creative solutions, the place is cute with some romantic touch. If you are vegan and in Hamburg then don't miss it.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, nice place
sglcklch
sglcklch

Solid restaurant

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2012

I had reserved a table for me and my partner and ended up arriving early at around 6 on a Wednesday evening. There were only two people dining at that point, but it did get a lot busier towards 8 o'clock. The place wasn't that big so I'd suggest making a reservation just in case.

For the food, we ordered an appetizer, two mains and a dessert to share:

Halved and grilled avocado stuffed with tofu - good and different. Expected more though given the price tag
Canarian potatoes with red & green mojo, seitan & water spinach stir-fry - OK but salty
Herb-stuffed potato balls, green salad with mushrooms - potato balls were good, mushrooms not bad, but again quite salty
Mixed berry poppy seed cake - light, not very sweet. Frosting made from cream blended with berries and poppy seed. Cake layers were thin, a little dry and bland

Menu was in German only, but waitress spoke English and would gladly explain everything. Service was cordial. Food was overall pretty tasty but heavy on the salt. Good portion size except for the starter. We paid €46 including a big bottle of sparkling water, a little high I felt.

Pros: cute decor, service
Cons: salty food, price
Ladan
Ladan

A lovely vegan restaurant

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

I love this resturant. My sister and I had diffrent food and we were both happy with that.
Reservations required.

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: a little expensive
ulpu
ulpu

Finally some fine food!

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

The food was well thought, tasty, interesting and beautifully set. The prices are a bit high, but for a good reason. Wine was also good. Actually the first time I get to have a bit of a fine dine feeling with vegan food in Europe. The portions are according to that. I recommend taking a menu if you don't wanna leave hungry. All in all - very good job!

Pros: Interesting food, Beautiful plates, Vegan
mollyolaf
mollyolaf

Great food, a bit on the pricey side (for Hamburg)

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2011

Ate here last week with friends. The food was excellent. I had the baked avocado with a mushroom and 'cream' sauce stuffed crepe. Friends had the moussaka and the seitan pepper steak.

Great place for a nice dinner out. Mains were about 13 euro. Good wine selection. Beers were 3 or 4 euro.

Good service. Would definitely recommend for a nicer experience.

Pros: Delicious, Vegan!
Cons: A little pricey
Laudi
Laudi

Absolutely Delicious

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

If you are vegan (or not) and live in Hamburg or visit Hamburg, this place is absolutely the place to go! Very nice and cozy atomosphere, very nice staff, and the food is fantastic. The portions are very generous and the prices very good considering the perfect quality of the food.

Pros: Delicious food, Great menue, Very friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Leaf: