Serves meat, veg options available. Boca Raton Vietnamese restaurant. Menu includes a large section of vegetarian food options. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Vietnamese, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Jo-Anne
kindlizard
kindlizard

Super ~~ have separate Vegan menu

3 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

Between four of us, we tried a lot of their menu. While being expensive ($16 or so per entree and $6 for small portion of soup) everything was truly excellent! We'd suggest this for a mix party (Carnies and veggies) or even a nice night out for vegans. The guy swore up and down they are Buddhists and take veganism seriously.

Something else they take seriously, their Hot and Sour Soup. I take this very seriously myself, and they hit this one right. I try this whenever available, this was one of the very best I have ever eaten. I would get that soup everyday of the week.

The spring rolls were good, but the black bean dipping sauce was even better. The crepe was similar to a dish I make but crispier. The noodles I got were solid and the veggies were not bogged down. Everything we had was lightly sauced, they key to not heavy feeling after many other Asian meals.

Everything tasted FRESH. Everyone loved their meals. For most, it was their first Vietnamese experience. Locals say this place is acclaimed as is the chef. Supposedly they have two cookbooks out of print; if they have significant veggie recipes in it, or even the hot and sour recipe, it'd be worth tracking down.

UPDATE*** The bad: the folks are not too nice & actually rude. the food after once or twice is not superlative actually. But for Boca, it is pretty good though a bit more $$$.

(also, MEN!!! best men's wear shop I ever have seen right next door. amazing threads!!!)
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 05, 2009

Pros: Fresh tasting, lightly sauced, hot and sour soup
Cons: does serve meat but swore its ok, a bit expensive but whatever, rude
  • kindlizard kindlizard

having been back I will say this: it is still ok to go to, but if you tell the owner you like his food he is a jerk and will call you fat or insult you. I don't like the guy at all. Saw him botch a reservation and flipped people away on xmas. The food is still good, maybe a bit overpriced for what it is, but in Boca, still a decent bet for a decent meal.

apaige7
apaige7

Bad vibes enter the food.

1 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2010

I'd read questionable reviews on other sites about this place, but since I saw it on HappyCow, I thought to overlook those and give it a shot. Boy, did I make the wrong reservation. Luckily my family and I were able to find humor in the mess and overlook it, but I'd still like to write a review cautioning others.
I entered the restaurant with high hopes for a delicious Vietnamese-flavoured vegetable mix and walked out with a nearly empty stomach and a tinge of regret. Before opening the menu, my mother had read through it and said, "Good luck finding something here.." I said, "No mom, they have a vegetarian page!" Well, those five items (in the back of a menu filled with duck, shrimp, pork, fish, etc.), were either fried or made up mostly of processed tofu (& did not fit within my current eating choices, Natalia's Rose's Detox4Women). So, I kindly asked the waiter, who obviously owns the restaurant, if he could make me a stir-fried veggie mix. "NO. The chef will not do that. No restaurant will do that. You will order a number."
Taken aback by his harsh tone and undeniable rudeness, I was actually quite shaken up that a man to whom I had been out-of-my-way nice on the phone and upon arrival would not only speak to me in such a way - but also be so incredibly unaccommodating, even after I'd explained that I was following a special diet. (I'm sure people on this website know what it feels like to have your conscious choices be slapped in the face.)
People at a nearby table saw this scene and told us not to worry- that they wouldn't accommodate me because it is a "gourmet restaurant."
Gourmet restaurant? Really? Please, someone, tell me what that actually means. Does it really hold any meaning at all? Upon a glance in the dictionary, I've found the only adjectivial definition of gourmet to read: "of or relating to gastronomy; gastronomic adventures." Indeed, what a gastronomic adventure it was. My aunt, a wine connoisseur by profession, ordered the grouper and said the food was anything but gourmet. According to the whole table, her fish had the taste of ammonium - an ingredient used to preserve fish and cover up the fact that it was actually rotting. That dish was cleared less than half eaten. The others at the table were not overly satisfied.
As for me - I ordered a small appetizer salad for dinner, for lack of any compromise on the part of the restaurant. The bitter watercress (sans sugar salad dressing) left an appropos taste in my mouth and mind.

Pros: decent wine menu, lovely wall paintings, vegetarian options exist.
Cons: miserable service, mediocre food, overpriced
  • kindlizard kindlizard

2 issues: first sorry you had a bad deal there, we went w infants and old folks and they were super nice about it so I wouldn't imagine they'd be like that.

second, please don't review fish on a veg site, thanks

boca is a hard town to find food, S FL in general

Jo-Anne
Jo-Anne

Lovely!

4 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2009

We'd like to second what the previous reviewer wrote. We had the crepe, the mixed veggies, and the lemongrass tofu and all were lovely- subtle flavours, fresh veggies cooked just enough, lightly sauced, not overly salty or sweet.
And, yes, a bit pricey- about $17/ entree.

Pros: healthy, excellent food, nice service
Cons: pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Le Tre: