Very small, rustic Paris vegan restaurant decorated with lush plants. Serves French cuisine in vegan versions: soups, tarte, pate, patty, gratin, moussaka, dessert. A pastry chef prepares the desserts which might include lemon bars, carrot cake, and blueberry bundt. Offers a 3-course dinner menu. Reservation suggested to ensure seating. Kitchen stops at 10pm. Vegan since 2012. Directions: From metro station Rambuteau, you see rue Rambuteau from the exit, the place is 50 meters on the left. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, French, Beer/Wine

stefanh
stefanh

Vegan As It Should Be...

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2014

Yes: the Restaurant's prices are high. Yes: the room is small...but hey: the meal was fantastic. We had a bottle of a good wine, a seitan and a hazelnut meal and a creme brule for 70 euro...and it was really mjommi. The Restaurant is a real Restaurant - not a punk or hippie shop. Whenever I'm in paris again, I'll go there again!

LauraMay
LauraMay

Simply the best

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2014

On top of visting numerous vegan places across Europe, I've been going to Le Potager du Marais for several years now. They are simply one of the best vegan restaurants in Europe.

I've tried about everything on the menu now and it's always a tough decision, the croustillant with cheese remains one of my favourites, as well as the Aubergine surprise and I often recommend the seitan Bourguignon to my meat-eating friends (which they always love-it's a really great dish to convince omnis that vegan food can be filling and "homely"). You can choose your side for many of the mains (buckwheat, rice...) which is also nice. The crème brûlée has always blown me away although I do wish they had some creamier desserts. They even have Gluten-free bread if you ask. And if you want to be extra healthy, there are big salads as mains as well.

The mixed juices are a very nice surprise as well, I've rarely found such great non industrial-made mixes outside of dedicated smoothie bars. Overall I'd say their cuisine is in the perfect spot between healthy, homely and creative without being bland, greasy or weird. There's really something for everyone. If you're a tourist it's also worth it because many of the dishes are close to French cooking.

The other thing that puts le Potager du Marais above other eateries is that the service is absolutely stellar, second to none. The owner and other members of staff are just so lovely, polite and attentive. They also speak english and just do everything to make you and your guests feel special and appreciated. It's really great to feel like they genuinely care that you are having a nice evening and as a returning customer, they've made me feel very valued.

Prices are good value for the food, location and service. I generally pay about 28€ for a juice, main and dessert. Cheaper than Soya which is a similar type of restaurant where I spent... 44€

The restaurant is small but with a nice atmosphere for all occasions; I've brought big groups (14 people), family members, done birthdays there and also been for casual meals. I recommend you book ahead as they are often full.

At this point I'd say maybe the only downside is that they haven't had a daily special on my last visits and I've been so often that I am craving something new!

I've visited just about every other veg restaurant in the capital and they are the best vegan dining experience in Paris.

Pros: Amazing food for all tastes, Lovely people, Cozy space
Cons: You generally need to book ahead, More daily specials please!
Babette
Babette

One of the highlights of my trip to Paris

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2014

I had a list of almost twenty restaurants to visit in Paris, and in spite of that, I went to Le Potager twice because it was so delicious.

The desserts are really amazing and original (it's not the cookie-brownie-energy ball kind of deal you get at so many places when looking for vegan desserts).

It's better to make a reservation.

Pros: French desserts, Excellent food, Friendly staff

veganmommy09
veganmommy09

Favorite Restaurant in the World

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2014

In all of Paris, with its numerous vegan restaurants, Le Potager du Marais is the one place I would be heartbroken to miss. It is not to be skipped, by herbivores or omnivores.

The French onion soup is a must. Every review will state this. I tend to order it and a salad (the big one with potatoes, tofu, and cheese that I never remember the name) and always feel pleasantly stuffed when I'm done. Of course, I always manage to make room for the chocolate mousse, because it is delicious (but very rich, you can easily share unless you *really* like chocolate). My husband likes to order different things, and has always been happy with his choices. This past visit he went with the quinoa burger (not on a bun) with mashed potatoes and he says it was excellent. Our son had the buckwheat crepe with leeks and mushrooms and, despite being a finicky five-year-old, devoured it. My omnivorous parents ordered lasagna (dad) and a veg plate (mom) and both enjoyed them. There was some confusion with my mother's order, in that her "vegetable plate" was actually just a salad (with shredded carrots, cucumbers, etc.) and her "green salad" was some greens and dressing - not what we expected.

My mother ordered a fresh apple juice, which was incredibly yummy, though it was a carroty-orange color so we're not sure if there was something else in it (the flavor was all apple, so maybe just skins?) My husband ordered (as always) the lemonade and probably would have had multiples had they not cost so much. The rest of us just had tap water, which is brought in bottles and replenished consistently (and free!).

The staff is always friendly and, while on the small side, the space is full of atmosphere and exactly what you'd hope to find in a classic (non-trendy) Parisian restaurant. Just be prepared to spend a lot, because it is not inexpensive (vegan + Paris = empty wallet).

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Cozy atmosphere
Cons: Expensive, On the warm side when crowded, Not easy to just walk in
bw76
bw76

Great Food - Must Visit

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2014

My wife visited this restaurant recently after seeing reviews on Happy Cow. We didn't have a reservation which is apparently required because they are so busy but they were kind enough to make room. The food was fantastic and was our favorite meal in Paris. Must visit.

Kryx
Kryx

Best Vegan Food In 2 Years Of Veganism!!

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2014

The portions are NOT small. They are appropriate/big as of September 2014. It was very pricey (80) for two of us, but we got 2 appetizers, 2 drinks, 2 main courses, and a dessert. The French onion could've been a meal by itself. The hazelnut roast was really good as well.

Pros: Taste, Diversity, All Vegan
Cons: Price, Cramped Seating, Hot Inside
psysof
psysof

French vegan Gastronomy

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2014

During a 3 days trip in Paris, I had the chance to have dinner at Le Potager du Marais with a group of non-vegetarian/vegan friends. They were all amazed by the quality and taste of their cuisine. All the dishes were carefully prepared and presented. The spinach lasagna, the aubergine, the felafel and the quinoa burger were a delight.
We are a group of foodists and all agreed that this was our best food experience while in Paris. Yes, it is a little more expensive than other places but this is not just a vegan restaurant, it is french vegan gastronomy!
Personally, this was my best vegan food experience ever.
If you want to enjoy this place, make sure you have a reservation first.

Pros: Quality of food, Friendliest staff ever, Choice of food
Laure
Laure

Delicious food and nice service

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2014

Central location in the vibrant Marais/Halles quartier of Paris, great French vegan food made with organic ingredients, nice deserts, all vegan (even the cheese) and well the food is really good.
The restaurant itself is somewhat small but the food makes up for everything.
The prices are however kind of high and although worth it given the quality, it is frustrating to eat there on a limited budget.
The price (ok given quality) is the only reason for us not eating there more often.

Pros: Food, Service, Organic ingredients
Cons: price
JonJon
JonJon

Vegan, amazing desserts, but expensive

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

I tried this restaurant twice and both time my experience was good but not fantastic (except for desserts!). The starters are usually very good (try the pâté) but portions are a little bit small for their price. The main dish was each time what I less preferred. The chili sin carne had nothing special (I could have done it myself), the sarrasin crêpe was good but not the best I've eaten and the spinach lasagna a bit overpriced in terms of size (half of the plate was basic green salad). However, their desserts are all amazing! If I go back to this restaurant, it will be for their desserts. Otherwise, the whole meal is overpriced to my view.

The place is small (you feel a bit cramped) but cute and staff really friendly. It's a good vegan restaurant, a little pricey...

Pros: 100% vegan now, amazing desserts, friendly staff, cute place, location
Cons: expensive, small area, main dishes sometimes rather basic
Pim
Pim

Awesome food!

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2014

Really loved the food and the service!! Only con: a bit too many tables in this small restaurant.

Pros: really good vegan food, super friendly service
Cons: too many tables in small space
StacyLeibowitz
StacyLeibowitz

Vegan Happiness!

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

The food was terrific. I had "French" Onion Soup for the first time in years...yum. We enjoyed everything we ordered.

Pros: Great Food, Great Desserts, Warm And Helpful Staff
pupa
pupa

French onion soup!

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2014

What a nice rustic small place. Very traditional Parisian look and feel, but with vegan food. Nice and clean atmosphere, service is as good as one would get in most French restaurants.
I can't hide that the Onion Soup was the highlight on our meal. I can't really compare it, because it is my first. But it was really delicious. Great balanced but very pronounced flavors. The vegan cheese on top was amazing and the croutons add a great texture to a wonderful soup that I can only expect to be done in a small village, where they decide to spare the beef for the broth.
I wasn't too crazy about the main course and the creme brûlée that I had to try, but not that special. It was delicious, but the texture and consistence was not there. Can't blame them, at least they offer one and I have to give them props.

Pros: Cozy atmosphere, Location, Onion soup!
Cons: A bit expensive
EarthyKrunchie
EarthyKrunchie

Great Food

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2014

I loved the food and would definitely go back. The Mushroom Pate was to die for. I was also happy with the wine list. We sat outside because the dining room is a bit tight. The have a few tables on the sidewalk. I would definitely make reservations before going. People were turned away on a Thursday night around 8pm. Some reviews said it was pricey, but I found it comparable to other Parisian experiences.

Pros: Great food, Fun location
Cons: Small dining room
drwiz
drwiz

good, but not great

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2014

This vegetarian restaurant is one of the very few with vegan offerings in Paris. It is in a great location in the Marais, in the center of the action. The room is very small and people are really packed in. The service was good and the food came fairly quickly. BUT, on the downside, it seems that they were trying too hard to appear to present Paris style offerings, with more emphasis on presentation perhaps than ultimate taste. The spinach lasagna was so chock full of spinach that it drowned out the taste of everything else. The seitan faux meat was cooked well, but was a little under seasoned and bland. The prices were fair and given the limited selection to choose from, this was a good choice. But on the whole could have been a bit better. Would have given it about a 3.5, if able to do so.

Pros: great location, one of few options available, good service
Cons: small restaurant, some offerings are bland
annaegel
annaegel

good food, a little pricey

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2014

My daughter and I ate here twice during our trip to France. The first time, we arrived at 7:00. Apparently, you need to make reservations for dinner. There were several tables available, but we had to be done by 8:30. I figured we would be out way before 8:30, but the service was very slow. Our food did not come until 8:00. The owner is very nice and spoke English very well. We both really enjoyed our dinner. We felt rushed (not by the owner, but knowing someone was waiting for our table). We did not order any desserts. We came back several days later for lunch. Again, we enjoyed our food, and this time ordered desserts. I was a little disappointed in them, but still they were good. I felt the price was a little high.

Pros: good food, friendly owner, nice atmosphere
Cons: price, small, long wait time for food
Richme
Richme

Good food, great dessert!

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2014

The food was good, nothing special but not bad in any way. The chocolate mousse was delicious, highly recommend it! The only downside except for maybe not that interesting food is that just across the street you'll see a butchery. Not the restaurants fault of course but it's not that appetizing to see carcasses when eating your food.

Pros: Chocolate Mousse, Good atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Just across the street lies a butchery..
walnut_brownie
walnut_brownie

Delicious Food And Very Friendly Stuff

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2014

The restaurant is in a very small, cozy and beautiful place. The staff is extremely nice and friendly - my french wasn't the best anymore, but they were very patient. If you don't speak French, don't worry, they explained the menu in good English to other guests. Unfortunately, the 3-course-dinner is not on the menu anymore, so we ordered a shared starter, two main dishs and two desserts. The food was just awesome, so delicious!!! We had the Tourte(?) as a starter and the seitan stew and the gratin (day dish). The gratin wasn't really what I understand as a gratin, but it was actually my favorite dish of the three. Unfortunately, we really didn't like the dessert. It was crème brûlée (with ginger) and tarter tatin. However, I still give 5 points, as the rest was wonderful. It is a bit expensive, but when I registered the prices in other restaurants in Paris, especially in relation to what you get for the money, I found it okay. I would also recommend to make a reservation. When we arrived, the restaurant was still empty, but it didn't take long until it was full (and almost all of them seemed to have made a reservation).

Pros: Extremely nice stuff, Delicious food, Nice Place
Cons: Didn't like the desserts
kbevis
kbevis

Vegan French food!

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

Our favorite meal while in Paris. We didn't have a reservation, but came in around 9pm on a weekday. Great selection to choose from, and were happy to be able to eat some French dishes, veganized. French onion soup is highly recommended! Also they have vegan creme brulee, which is just really neat - and tasty.

Marie Berlin
Marie Berlin

Delicious

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

Nice and little restaurant which serves high quality and delicious vegan food. We had a starter and main dishes - both tasted realy good - and were realy filled up afterwards. The prices are not cheap but regular for a restaurant in Paris. You should definitly make a reservation, because the place is small and always crowed.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 28, 2014

Pros: Nice staff, Great food
Cons: Not cheap
Chris W
Chris W

Fantastic Vegan Rustic Food

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2014

I love this place - went twice on my last visit to Paris. Very small and atmospheric restaurant with really friendly staff. Food is mainly veganised French classics - the French onion soup and seitan bourginon are highly recommended! It is generally packed so it is a good idea to book ahead.

Pros: Great French food, Atmospheric busy restaurant, Great staff
erikabooyah
erikabooyah

so nice and so good

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2014

It was so nice to have a good vegan option in Paris. The servers could not have been nicer and the food was tremendous. I had one of the quinoa burgers and my husband has beef stew. Both had great flavor. We also had mushroom pate as an appetizer and it reminded me of thanksgiving. Make reservations or go early. It does get busy.

Pros: food, service
MitziTant
MitziTant

Amazing!

Posted on 05 / 15 / 2014

We went there only to get dessert (Moelleux and Tarte Tatin, both were heavenly and freshly made!), The waiter was the friendliest I have ever met in France, got us a table outside even though the restaurant was fully booked that night (Do make a reservation if you're planning to go there for a full meal!)
We are definitely coming back next time we're in Paris. Everything on the menu looked delicious (Vegan Boef Bourguignon? YUM!) and our neighbors' food smelled so good!

Pros: Very friendly and helpful staff, Lovely neighborhood, 1L of filtered water for free
Cons: Reservation needed, Bit pricey, Only one unisex toilet
SabrinaTtz
SabrinaTtz

Cozy and delicious vegan restaurant

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2014

This cozy spot near Centre Pompidou offers an incredible menu, and the best part, ingredients are 100% vegan. Everything was delicious. They create original dishes, mixing tasty vegan ingredients. It's a little bit pricey, but totally worth it.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 10, 2014

patporter
patporter

Excellente!

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2014

Had dinner there with 2 14 yr. olds who griped about vegan food, until they ate it!! This is a lovely little restaurant with fabulous food and delightful service. Everyone loved their dinners. I only wish Paris was closer to New Jersey! If you want to eat there, definitely make a reservation. By the time we were having our entrees, they were turning people away. This is a "don't miss!"

Pros: Delicious food, great variety, friendly, efficient service
Cons: not cheap!, but worth it!
maryveganclimber
maryveganclimber

Best vegan restaurant in Paris!

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

I would highly recommend this place. I visited this fabulous vegan restaurant on March 26, 2014. Service is great, everything is vegan! It's a super quaint restaurant. Food is soooo amazing and everything is labelled if it's gluten free. I ordered an Aubergine/eggplant dish with melted cheese inside. It was superb! The desserts are amazing too. Can't believe that everything is vegan here.

Pros: gluten free option, great service, everything is vegan
Cons: prices
MiriamW
MiriamW

Delicious food, great service

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

We were delighted to find an all-vegan restaurant in Paris. The food and service were outstanding when we ate there on 27 March, 2014.

We note the comments about the lack of space but we didn't find it a problem except for one slightly 'grand' couple next to us who were obviously not happy and left after a drink which they complained about! The other diners near us were friendly and sociable and the temperature was just-right. The atmosphere was really good and the restaurant appears to attract interesting people with socially and politically-aware views.

We will definitely be going back, given half a chance!

Pros: Lovely food, cooked just right, imaginative menu, Excellent service and atmosphere
Cons: Slightly cramped
UtGenomRutan
UtGenomRutan

Small but nice

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2014

It is always welcome when you have the whole menu to choose from when you're a vegan. The food was abslout okay, but I would have liked a little more seasoning. The staff was very kind and the service high.

Pros: Good service
Cons: a bit bland
StephanieTighe
StephanieTighe

Rustic french cuisine vego style - a must for all.

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2014

If you are looking for french style vegan food or a good quality meal, Le Potager du Marais is you kind of place. Well priced and great dishes. I have been to Paris three times not and have not had a visit with out eating here - it is that good. Make sure you book a couple hours ahead as it is bound to fill up quickly. Also the waiters are hospitality gurus so your bound to get great service. Enjoy!

Pros: well balanced yum meals , great service , nice hourse wine
Cons: make sure you book ahead
Grieselpfrue
Grieselpfrue

nice atmosphere but disproportionate prices

Posted on 12 / 12 / 2013

I ate at le potager du marais twice, once alone for lunch and once for dinner with my boyfriend in october/november of 2013. In general I would recommend a reservation.
I liked the cozy atmosphere and the staff was very hearty.
As a starter I ordered a spinach-chickpea soup which was tasty but rather too salty and already a bit cold.
As main dishes I/we tried the spinach-walnut-lasagna, the seitan bourguignon and the vegetable stew. The lasagna was great (though a bit cold, too). The seitan was tasty as well, though it was a bit heavy - I would have preferred some vegetables with it and less seitan instead. The vegetable stew was quite nice, although some parts were stewed too long for our taste. As a dessert we REALLY enjoyed the mousse au chocolat.
In general I/we enjoyed my/our stay at this restaurant. Still, in my opinion the meals are far too pricy for what they are. But being in a city like Paris, I would still recommend le potager du marais as one of the best 100% vegan options.
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 12, 2013

Pros: cozy atmosphere, hearty stuff
Cons: high prices
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Vegan French Onion Soup!

Posted on 12 / 05 / 2013

We recently ate dinner here during a 4 day stay in Paris, and it was the best meal we had! We didn't make a reservation, but they were able to accommodate us after only a few minutes wait. Unlike other places, we promptly received water and bread without having to ask. The waiter was extremely friendly and courteous and spoke impeccable English (I certainly don't expect that of a French restaurant, but it's nice).

My husband had the soup of the day, a pea soup. I was super excited to see French Onion Soup on the menu. Both were excellent. I enjoy fake meats and cheeses, and the "cheese" in the French Onion Soup really delivered. The portion sizes were the best we've seen in Paris. My soup was pretty large, as were our main courses.

The vegan take on French food was much appreciated. The main courses were delicious. It was definitely the most money we spent on a meal in Paris, but we considered it well worth it.
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 05, 2013

Pros: French classics, Staff
Cons: Price
Kuhdo
Kuhdo

Small but powerful

Posted on 10 / 29 / 2013

Located around the corner of Centre Pompidou this tiny vegan restaurant provides delicious vegan food at a fair price in a cozy atmosphere with friendly service.

The menus were visually and nutritionally attractive, well-portioned, and didn't try to drag the eater into a protein-coma as other vegan restaurants do. I personally like lentils and their preparation here was delicious in every culinary freedom degree.

Oh the other hand, the menus rather often featured fake cheese and tofu. Though, the cheese could be an attempt to preserve a French touch. This could be a nice place to convince French people of vegan food even though I did not find any fake-escargots on the menu :-).

Nice extras: Salad was served with optional add-ons like sesame salt ("for the extra calcium") and nutritional yeast.

Even though this place was fully booked, the service kept being attentive, conducting new guests to the wardrobe and immediately refilling the filtered water without being asked.

No wonder Le Potager du Marais is located next to the centre of modern arts - this place is a living vegan artwork.

visited on 25.10.2013

Pros: Filtered water served + refilled, Friendly, fast, attentive staff, Vegan creativity without excess
Cons: Reservation recommended
EmileKuijvenhoven
EmileKuijvenhoven

Wonderfull taste sensation

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

This small restaurant might need a reservation although we managed to get a spare table. Good combinations and wonderful flavours.

Pros: taste, fresh , healthy
Cons: reservation, price
BlisterBlue
BlisterBlue

Looks & tastes like a classic French restaurant

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2013

The restaurant has turned completly vegan recently after several years of being "vegetarian".
The place is quite small so I would advise you to book a table for lunch or dinner.
The restaurant offers a large variety of dishes and most of them are also gluten free.
This is THE place to try typical French food that you can find in all the "mnivorous" restaurants. We tried "soupe à l'oignon", "rôti aux champignons" and "crème brûlée" for dessert.
The waiter was lovely! Always smiling and checking if everything was going fine for us.
Highly recommanded place!

Pros: Vegan, Variety of food, Staff
Cons: Small place, You wanna taste everything :-)
Mademoisella
Mademoisella

Best place in Paris!

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2013

This place was wonderful! We ate a lot and the quality of our food was good for the expensive price. The waiter was very friendly and did his best to speak English. I loved this place and I would recommend it to everybody who wants to spend an evening in a top-class Parisien restaurant.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, easy to reach (metro, busses)
Cons: Small place, tables very close, expencive, a bit noisy when there are many people
Tiggy
Tiggy

OK but not all that...

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2013

I went to Le Potager twice while I was in Paris (9/23/13 and 10/3/13) and even though this place seems to be held in high esteem by reviewers, I have to say I wasn't that impressed. The food was nice enough generally, but a bit uneven in quality. The first time we went, I ordered the vege burger with mushroom sauce and this was nice, as was my partner's vegan lasagna. I ordered an entree of potatoes with herbs and tapenade, and while this was OK, it wasn't amazing. The real issues occurred the second time we went. We ordered the potato entree again and this time there was an olive pit left in the tapenade, which is not only unappetising but also potentially dangerous. My partner ordered the Seitan Bourgignon and both of us agreed that this was terrible to the point of being almost inedible, with little flavour and a dry, rubbery texture. There is a long waiting time - as I think patrons may be warned beforehand - and you can expect to take two to three hours for an entree and main at peak time. The owner is very enthusiastic when interacting with diners, but it may take some time to be attended to. The restaurant has a nice ambience, with stone walls and some attention to decoration, but the space is fairly small and the tables quite close together. I would go here again but be selective about what I ordered, although I must admit that only a few menu items appealed to me.

Pros: Fully vegan restaurant, Varied menu
Cons: Uneven quality, Long waiting time
PhilippaPickering
PhilippaPickering

Perfect!

Posted on 10 / 11 / 2013

My husband and i managed to visit here on our last day in Paris and i am so pleased that we did. The food is delicious, well seasoned , excellently balanced and pretty too. The portions are big but we both made room for dessert which was also generous but delicious. I only wish i could have tried a starter too! Or gone back again. The waiter was lovely and could not have been more helpful. This place definitely deserves the excellent rating that it has.

Pros: excellent food, lovely staff, generous portions
Manuela
Manuela

A really lovely place to eat

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

My favourite Veg place of all Paris: cozy, small (booking is necessary), very kind stuff, mouthwatering dishes. I did eat there 3 out of the 4 nights I spent in Paris during my last trip. My mom, a fond meat-eater, asked me to get back, night after night. Too bad I did not get to meet the chef: the guy definitely knows his cooking and the place is really excellent food for good money. A place you really must try.

Pros: excellent fresh food, nice price, kind staff
Cons: booking is necessary
JenniferKoukla
JenniferKoukla
  • herbivore

French Vegan Food is Rare!

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

I was happy to try this restaurant, French classics done the vegan way. It was nice to be able to experience French food, as French restaurants hardly ever have a vegetarian or even harder, vegan options.Sadly, it seems the French can not think outside the box of "meat and cheese". The food was delicious, service was exceptionally friendly and location is great ! Only negative is the hours, I always seem to go when its closed ! So just keep the hours in mind.

Pros: French Food, Service, Location
Cons: Hours
MinaMurray
MinaMurray

loved it!!

Posted on 08 / 30 / 2013

the food is superb, the staff very friendly.

Xaddar
Xaddar

well done

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2013

nice place (better book in advance), good choice of dishes with creativity, efficient service, friendly staff

Pros: food, service
drewwarner
drewwarner

superb french food

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

Some of the best food and service we received in Paris.

The menu was diverse and featured many french favorites prepared all vegan.

They speak English as well as French so we were able to navigate the excellent menu with limited French and they didn't make us feel good about it.

We are appetizers, main courses and desserts and had no objections on any part of the meal.

The restaurant is very crowded and slow in typical European fashion. You should call ahead for a reservation.

This is the best dining experience you will have as a vegan in Paris. Enjoy!

Pros: excellent food, kind and honest service, authentic tasting French
Cons: very busy
stepnic
stepnic

Delicious vegan food in Paris

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2013

A wonderful meal: the gazpacho (soup of the day) and the Hazelnut loaf were sensational! The entrée baked potato with olive tapenade and pesto, and the Provençal stuffed vegetables also highly recommended. Washed down with a half liter of white wine, a perfect lunch on a perfect day in Paris. A special mention too for the waiter: never flustered, always around, always helpful, cheerful (and English-speaking). An excellent dining experience well worth the price.
Thanks to Petra, Edita and Kristijan Horvat for the recommendation!

Pros: delicious, fresh, healthy food, friendly, accommodating service, good atmosphere
Cons: wait time for food (though worth it)
pixi42
pixi42

Very Tasty

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2013

Very good and innovative.
Large choice.
Tables too close (small restaurant).
Time for service is sometimes long.
Updated from previous review on Friday August 02, 2013

Pros: Tasty, Innovative
Cons: Noisy, Service Time
AcEastend
AcEastend

wonderful

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

We really enjoyed the very imaginative food in this cozy little restaurant. It was not cheap, but worth the price. Very good and friendly service. But it's really necessary to book a table. Enjoy!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: high prices, noisy and less space
Anettvegi48
Anettvegi48

oh yes

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

we went there during our honeymoon, and were lucky enough to catch a table - it`s a really small Restaurant, but lovely and with a nice atmosphere. the waiter was very passionate about the Food and answered all of our questions. the plates were delicious (best onion soup I ever had!)and served with a smile.

Pros: yammy food, friendly stuff, easy to find
Cons: very small - reservation is recommended
wushu
wushu

Nice place !

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2013

The waiter was available and smiling. (even looked a bit over the top but I appreciate the effort).

I had made a reservation before showing up and they directly knew who I was when I arrived which show a good logistic between their stuff.

The meal was nice. Medium + vegan food.

I'm happy I went there and I was satisfied when I left.

ShelA
ShelA

OMG

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2013

Food was amazing! It was great to try some French styled dishes in a land where butter, cream and meat rule. The service was great and very friendly.

For a guaranteed spot make sure you ring to make a booking, it is well worth the effort!

I hope they put out a cookbook!

Pros: French , delicious, atmospheric
veganinseattle
veganinseattle

Best Vegan Dining In Paris

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2013

Nothing much to add to the generally positive comments. The night we went we arrived about 15 min early and sat on the sidewalk chairs.

The owner came out to open promptly at 7:00 and asked if we had reservations. We didn't and he said that was fine as long as we could done by 9:00 as he was fully booked that evening.

We loved the French Onion Soup and the Warm Cheese Salad. So great to get tasty vegan cheese in Paris of all places. I enjoyed the Buckwheat Crepes.

I had the Stuffed Eggplant for my main course and it was excellent. I can't remember the main dish that my wife chose but the pepper sauce with her dish was over the top peppery which put a damper on her experience.

We were lucky that the owner was our server and he was courteous, prompt and engaging despite that the restaurant got busy quickly.

Our best overall dining experience in Paris but not quite to the standards of the top vegan restaurants in the U.S.

Pros: Excellent Food, Gluten Free Options Inc Bread, Good Service
Cons: Cramped, Reservations For Later in Evening
Vittoria
Vittoria

Very good food and service

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2013

We're so happy we found this place. The food was really good. We tried the quinoa burger and the lentil balls and they were both excellent. I really liked their vegan cheese, too. The main dishes are not cheap, but the ones we tried were very varied and well balanced (with vegetables, cereals, legumes and vegan cheese). The mains were big enough and we didn't need to take a starter nor a dessert.

The service is very friendly and the location is perfect (in the Marais, just next to the Centre Pompidou).

Pros: Food, Service, Location
Cons: Nothing
carolinedenonlambert
carolinedenonlambert

Cosy, friendly all vegan restaurant with good food

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

Food:
A good choice of food on the menu (written in French and English) all of which sounded appetising. I had the vegetable quiche with salad (a starter - but more than enough for me). I had seen somebody else eating it, so I knew what I was getting. It was more like a pie than a quiche, but all the better for that - it had lovely pastry and a vegetable filling. My friend had the lentil balls on a bed of spinach served with mashed sweet potatoes and a broccoli dish, which she really enjoyed. I wish I could have eaten more as the desserts sounded lovely.

The location:
Fantastic location a few metres away from the Pompidou Centre. The restaurant is small, rustic and cosy.

The service:
The service was extremely friendly and professional. We didn't feel hurried, but weren't left around waiting either. The waiter was a bit busy, but still able to be friendly and take the time to explain things. He spoke French to me, but replied to my friend in English as she can't speak French.

Pros: Great food, Excellent location in Le Marais, Nice ambiance
Cons: Small, Paris prices, not a budget meal.
DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

Delicious food, great deserts

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2013

this place was one of my favorites in Paris. In Potager I was finally able to have a traditional french onion soup and it tasted also. My girlfriend and I also ordered one dish each (be careful, their dishes are huge) and they were pretty good.

but the highest point for sure was the deserts. I had an awesome chocolate cake (sorry, i don't remember the french name)that was amazing.

The place is kind of expensive but it might be the only chance to have french traditional food in a vegan way.

Pros: onion soup, very "french", desert
Cons: kind of expensive, but worthy
SoniaS
SoniaS

Cozy, delicious but a little pricy place.

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

Me and my boyfriend went to lots of vegan/vegetarian places in Paris and tried out different things after searching through Happy Cow. We went here our last night and it was really nice. If you've been to veggie places in Paris before, you might know that most places don't really have that restaurant feel to them. They are usually hidden and a lot of times they don't even have a decent sign outside so you have to go inside to see if you're at the right place.

This place is NOT like that. It has a parisian, cozy atmosphere, and although it's not very big it's still very nice. It was also very easy to find, it's really close to the Rambuteau metro station and you can also walk from Chatelet which we did. We made a reservation, which I recommend, since it's not very spacious and you might risk not getting a seat. The owner was REALLY nice and kind, he remembered my name from the reservation and kept saying "Merci mademoiselle Sonia, bonne soirée mademoiselle Sonia" etc. Really cute and he made me feel very welcome.

The food was great. I had the quinoa burger with mashed potatoes and mushroom sauce, and it was amazing! I love that they actually take the time to make it look pretty, too, it's not like they just throw some food on a plate. It was pricy, because we ate the same thing and shared 50 cl of red wine, and ended up at 50 Euro. Usually, that's what we pay having dessert, too. So no, it wasn't the best price and you have to be prepared of the fact that this is not a budget place to dine at as a veggie.

To sum this up, I really recommend going here if you afford it. It's a lovely restaurant if you're looking for a cozy, vegan restaurant that serves delicious and creative food. You will not be disappointed!

Pros: Delicious and creative food, Nice atmosphere
Cons: A little on the pricy side, Not very spacious
Dynamic Duo
Dynamic Duo

Very French!

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2013

We ate at Potager twice during our week in France and were glad we did. The food and atmosphere are very French and we loved that. Usually (as you know if you are vegan and in France) it is very hard to eat anywhere French in Paris due to the dairy/meat problem. Le Potager du Marais is refreshing because we felt like we were getting a French experience without the troubling meat and dairy. The French Onion soup is a must. The other foods are good but not great by good vegan US standards but are definitely adequate. We should say that we were a bit limited on what we could get because we have soy allergies and much of the menu has soy. But there was enough that we could still dine there twice and be happy. The tart tartin was delicious for desert also. Be aware that, like other traditional French restaurants, the service is not fast - so be prepared to be there for 2 hours or more for a full dinner - but alas this is Paris and this is part of what we love about it so savor it if you can!

Pros: French onion soup
Cons: not so fast service
herbivore07
herbivore07

Pricey but memorable

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2013

Pros: I really liked the rustic atmosphere of this place (although as in many Paris restaurants be prepared to be on top of your neighbors). I went twice and tried the seitan bourgignon and the lasagna and both were delicious. We had good service here, too. I'd say as the vegan places in Paris go this one comes possibly the closest to replicating classic French cuisine, for those of us who want to partake in local cuisine but not the meat and dairy.
Cons: It's pretty pricey. Also I didn't at all like the Tarte Tatin (but we had a chocolate moelleux which was tasty!).

swade
swade

Very good. Not quite as good as pre-vegan days

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

I love this restaurant but I'm just a little disappointed since it's gone fully vegan. On my most recent trip (April 2013) The 'seitan bourguignon' was great but the French onion soup wasn't as good as I remember - not just the addition of vegan cheese but the soup itself was lacking (surprisingly!) in onions and was a little bitter - the herbs tasting dried rather than fresh. But overall the menu still looks good and always seems to be being updated around the edges so there's new options to try.

Be warned - it's very popular and you'll probably need to book unless you get there as it opens. It's also very cramped - not that bad a thing as we got chatting to our neighbours on both sides but if you're looking for a more intimate, private dining experience then this is not the right place!

Despite the size the staff are very accommodating and even managed to manoeuvre a full sized pushchair through the restaurant and store it during one table's meal.

I'll just mention in passing that on the night we were there I'd say 90% of people were from UK / US / Canada, which was interesting as normally - even in veggie restaurants in Paris - I've not noticed the split being quite that in favour of English-speaking patrons.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff
Cons: Small and a bit squashed, Better when non-vegan
Jayneisastarr
Jayneisastarr

Simply Fantastic

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2013

One of the best vegan meals I have ever had. The food is flavoursome, well presented and a rare treat for a vegan in Paris. Not to be missed for any vegan in Paris - I can't believe it has taken me this many trips to Paris to try this place! Great central location and excellent service also help to make Le Potager a standout.

Pros: Vegan French Cuisine, Superb food, Great Service & Great Location
Mariannes
Mariannes

My favourite parisian restaurant

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2013

This is my all time favourite restaurant in Paris. It used to be vegetarian but now it seems to have gone compeltely vegan - hooray! Everytime I'm in Paris, I go there and the food is amazing! Last time, I went there, I had this chocolate mousse which was the best chocolate mousse I've had, well, ever! I'm going to Paris in a couple of weeks, and coming to this restaurant will definitely be one of the first things I do! :)

Notre-Dame
Notre-Dame

All changes are not good...

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2013

The food is not great and the prices have become too high for what they serve. It was better before they change their address. It was friendlier and more generous. Now there is more space to sit, but less food on the plate. I am very disappointed.

Cons: Price, Portion, Ambiance
bencamps
bencamps

Delightful

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2013

Visited on Sunday 10th February 2013. My girlfriend and I had visited Le Potager du Marais a couple of years ago and since then it's turned totally vegan and the layout and decor has changed somewhat. This is all positive stuff, its more cosy than we remember it and the menu has benefited from dropping the dairy. We both had spinach and walnut lasagne for a main and shared a creme brulée for desert. The menu is French cuisine and offers lots of choice, there are also daily specials. There is a large drinks list, we had a great bottle of organic bordeaux. The food was very nice, the waiter very pleasant (also spoke excellent English) and the atmosphere nice and relaxed. It is pricey but its worth it for a bit of a treat.

nardanddee
nardanddee

in LOVE

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2013

Now that I know where it is, I will certainly return before going home. The portions are huge and the food is well-seasoned. My waiter was very kind and was able to decifer my poor French. He did speak English but patiently allowed me to try out some French. This restaurant is cozy and can fill up quickly (probably due to the combo of good service and great food). I had the zucchini soup to start and finished with an entree of stuffed cabbage. I had totally intended on partaking in dessert but was too full. I shall return for another entree and to get one of those tummy desserts!

Pros: large portions , metro accessible, friendly service
Cons: not a one!
wuthering
wuthering

Get the Onion Soup

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2012

I don't remember much else about this restaurant except the 'French' Onion Soup. As a vegetarian for 20 years, I haven't had it for 20 years, so this was such a treat. It even came with the requisite croutons and melted (vegan) cheese. Delish. Probably could have done without the main course, but we both got one - it was too much food and we were stuffed.
It is expensive, but if you just get the soup, and then maybe move on to share a main course, you'll be fine. Excellent bread, too!
It's tiny, so unless you're the first through the door, you'll need to reserve. As it was we were first in and still needed to vacate our table by 8pm (that was fine though- glad to see them very busy). And yes, it's completely vegan.

Pros: Vegan, French onion soup
Cons: Prices, Hard to find
Derina
Derina

Delicious Selection of French Cuisine

Posted on 12 / 07 / 2012

I went to Le Potager du Marais this evening for a nice dinner out and was very happy with my overall experience. The restaurant is all vegan with a good variety of items on their menu. My partner and I had a really difficult time choosing but settled on the French onion soup, vegetable quiche, seitan bourguignon, and lasagna. We were pleasantly surprised by the decent portion size, which is sometimes a problem at expensive vegan restaurants. The entrees would have been sufficient for a lighter meal on their own. The stand-out item was the French onion soup- I had never had this as a omnivore so I don't have a basis for comparison but both of us absolutely loved it. The soup was flavourful and almost smoky. I enjoyed the experience enough that I am planning on heading back tomorrow for lunch (partner and I will split the soup, a giant salad, and a creme brulee). Highly recommend for a "special" evening (it is a bit pricey).

Pros: Service, Portion Size, Selection of Food
WayneV
WayneV

Vegan in Paris?

Posted on 11 / 27 / 2012

Can't say anything bad about this restaurant. Great variety of food, excellent quality, knowledgeable and friendly staff and even vegan desserts! Highly recommended. It is on the small side so you will probably need a reservation in high season.

Pros: Food!, vegan desserts!
Cons: none
Yamuna
Yamuna

Delicious, cosy and classy

Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

Restaurant visited in 2011. It was a great finish of an exhausting site seeing day! Prices were really ok for Paris and you really felt how much love they put in the preparations. Vegan wine was available!

Pros: Love to detail, very friendly atmosphere, classy ambiance
Cons: -, -, -
Wine Lover
Wine Lover

Totally vegan menu now!

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2012

This place is now 100% vegan I'm pleased to report. It used to take up two shops but now is only one, the other shop (on the corner) is vacant.

I enjoyed my meal there this evening. I had quiche stuffed aubergine and chocolate cake. The aubergine was especially good but I enjoyed everything. It was a bit pricey though - starter €10, main €17, dessert €8.50.

When I left, around 9pm on a Friday night, the place was busy but not quite full. There was just one waitress but the speed of service was fine and her English was good. Most other diners were French.

Pros: 100% vegan, Good portions, Serve wine
Cons: Not cheap, Tables quite close together
Filipka
Filipka

Delish Paris Vegan

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2012

I wish we were staying in Paris longer so that we could try more of the delicious looking meals served at Le Portager du Marais. I couldn't help myself from eyeing the other patrons' dishes as they were served.My dining companion and I both began with two of the yummy soups on the menu. I had the pink lentil with star anise and my partner had the French onion. The anise did not overpower the fine textured lentil purée and benefited from a little splash of soy sauce ,which was one of several condiments provided on the table. The onion soup was a real treat,as onion soup is typically made with a rich beef broth and gooey cheese. This vegan version did not disappoint. Both soups were served in very large bowls and were quite satisfying. For our main courses we had stuffed cabbage and a walnut terrine ,of sorts. Both entrees were served with a delightful medley of roasted vegetables. The ample portion of lacy cabbage was stuffed with rice and seitan then served with a nice tomato sauce. The timbale of walnut terrine had a distinctive mushroom flavor and was accented with pine nuts. A flavorful white sauce rounded out the dish and went well with the accompanying dauphinois style potatoes. Overall we had a very nice dinner. The restaurant did become quite crowded and there was only one waitress who's English was not the best and at least half the patrons spoke English which slowed down service. The prices were also a bit on the higher side..although we left with our stomachs quite full. We didn't have room for desserts although they looked and sounded great!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 26, 2012

Pros: Variety, Innovative, 100% vegan
Cons: Price, Not enough servers, Lack of English
robguz
robguz

Veganized French food

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

I really enjoyed my meal here. It wasn't the best thing ever, but it was quite good and interesting. I ended up having the beef bourguignon which was made with seitan. It was the kind of vegan dish I've never had in the US. It was close to where we stayed in the Marais. As others have mentioned it wasn't cheap, but Paris is expensive. Vegan options clearly indicated and English menu available.

Pros: French dishes, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Pricey
gracep
gracep

Awful

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2012

I'm generally positive about restaurant experiences, but it doesn't apply in this case. This restaurant is simply terrible. I don't have a problem with paying for meals that are on the expensive side, but when the quality of the food is inferior, 26 euros is extortionate.

I went to here tonight, ordering the spinach-walnut lasagne and the creme brulee. The lasagne was not so bad as to be inedible, but it neither tasted fresh nor tasted as though it was the work of a restaurant chef. The restaurant describes itself as being homestyle. "Bland and sloppily prepared" is a more honest description. The pasta of the lasagne had a tough texture, which made it taste as though it lacked freshness, and there was no real creaminess to the dish. It tasted mostly of parmesan (which I'm guessing and hoping was a substitute, since the menu stated that they are fully vegan, which isn't said on Happy Cow) and bland, overcooked spinach (actually silverbeet as we'd call it in Australia, which is less tasty). The real shocker of the experience was the dessert of "creme brulee." It bore no resemblance to the dish whatsoever and was a liquid tangy, acidic mess with some brown burnt spots on top and undissolved granulated sugar throughout. I ate a small spoonful of it and just thought, "What?" I thought I might have been being hasty, so I tried another small spoonful. Nope, it was awful. I wish I could describe in words just how unpalatable the dish was. In 7 years of veganism, this is the worst restaurant cooking I've ever encountered. I genuinely felt offended that those running the restaurant believed it acceptable to serve food of this standard in a restaurant environment. Honestly, I cannot believe I spent the money that I spent on this meal for the quality of food I received. This was the only time I've ever felt close to sending food back to the kitchen because of unacceptably poor quality. I'm a bit timid, so I didn't. I wish I could've brought myself to, because the food was disgracefully bad.

I wouldn't recommend going to this restaurant, even in a city like Paris where veg options can be hard to find. I like to try out every place with vegan options when I visit cities, and I've done that in Paris. Many have been average. This one was poor, and after this experience, it won't be getting another chance from me.

Pros: Apparently vegan, Side salad seemed fresh, Relatively convenient location
Cons: Worst restaurant food I've had yet, Service slow and a bit cold, You pay a lot of money for what you get
Daffffff
Daffffff

Le Potager du Marais used to be better

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2012

I agree with the last few reviews -Le Potager du Marais used to be better, and the food seems to have gone downhill.

We visited three times -each about a year apart. The first two times, we really liked it, but were quite disappointed by the last visit (31/8/12). Essentially, the food just isn't as good as it used to be.

We ordered the quinoa burger and a nut bake. Both were ok, but a bit tasteless -I felt I could do better myself at home. The salad was dry and boring. Mains were 15 euro each, and we didn't feel that they were worth this. Meals also arrived very quickly -within a couple of minutes of ordering -as another reviewer pointed out -they are not cooking to order. Just putting out the food canteen style.

Other than the food, the restaurant is ok. Service is friendly, tables are a bit cramped. We did like the wine.

This review isn't really a complaint about the prices, as we expected that -we just expected the food to match it.

Pros: Wine was good, Staff friendly
Cons: Food not tasty enough, Price far too high for low quality meal
suzkay
suzkay

Very surprised (and disappointed)

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2012

Le Potager du Marais was the only vegetarian restaurant that we actively sought out when we were staying in Paris. We were excited to go there and arrived a little after 1pm, two of us and our french bulldog, my husband's service dog. We were promptly told that we would not be allowed in the restaurant with our dog (claiming that there was no room for a dog). Please note that the restaurant was NOT full--there were only a few occupied tables. We were completely shocked...a vegetarian restaurant unaccepting of a clean, well-behaved, service animal?! This was the ONLY restaurant/cafe/brasserie in all of Paris that did not allow our service dog. In every other dining establishment, he joined us, rested under or near the table and was treated very warmly by the staff. We were extremely disappointed and surprised with Le Potager and will not return--with or without our dog.

runsten
runsten

agree with previous review

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2012

This restaurant is in Marais almost next to centre Pompidou so I can imagine that many tourists would come here.

However, I warn you. This is an expansive restaurant with tasteless food.

It started with that I got a glass which was dirty, asked for a new one and got another dirty glass. I gave up.

I ordered the main course for 17 euro, asked first if starter was not included but it was not. 17 euro, even though it is Marais, in a simple restaurant with dirty glasses is a lot when you are served food after 5 minutes since it is already prepared (see previous review).

I ordered lentils with tofu. Completely tasteless. I tried to eat it but I have eaten so many delicious lentils courses in my life that I gave up.

There are many other better vegan/vegetarian restaurants in city center of Paris so why visit this one?

It is really too expansive when they serve canteen food.

Pros: in Marais, nothing else
Cons: tasteless food, not clean, bad service
mhsnowwhite
mhsnowwhite

Really disappointing...what happened?

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2012

Ok, I never write reviews but this needs to be done... so a couple of years ago me and my partner went to this restaurant were we had a fantastic tartiflette dish.....so we were so excited to go back here. Once we got here, the interior was changed and the menu is changed as well. No tartiflette anymore..but ok, we went for something else. We got the suggestion main (spinach pie with goat cheese) and a salad (with warm goats cheese and honey walnuts and olives). It was like 5 minutes later on our tables....surprisingly quick. The quality of the food was not so impressive. The salad was really boring and tasteless....just green leafs of salad with four pieces of tomato, a few pieces of cucumber,lots of grated carrot and some walnuts...o yeah, and 3 salty smushed kalamata olives....nothing was done with it, no dressing...just a dry salad with no taste. Just like a pre made bag of salad from the supermarket....O and of course 3 pieces of soaked bread with goats cheese..bad quality. I thought this was really disappointing because we payed 16 euro's for this salad. Its a scam, totally not worth it. Thats all I can say about this...As for the spinach pie...well this is something you can make at home. Nothing special..also for the price of 16 euro's....
We really wondered what happened in the kitchen because this didn't taste like someone had cooked this diner with some passion for us, like we were used too with the tartiflette dish. When my boyfriend went to the bathroom, he saw what happened. Its just a soup kitchen...with big containers under warm lights where the food is resting..and the 'cook' is just putting it on the plate...well that explains the short time between ordering and getting the food.
Really disappointing. Don't go here. I don't know what happened in the last couple of years, but its totally not worth your money. Don't go here. This is zero cows worth...not 2.

For the dutch speaking ppl here:
De salade is eigenlijk net zoals een zakje voorverpakte salade van een willekeurige supermarkt...blaadjes sla met wat geraspte wortel....echt belachelijk, meer woorden heb ik hier niet voor. Voor 16 euro.

Pros: none
Cons: bad quality, nearly impossible to contact, seriously overpriced, not worth it
edupacifico
edupacifico

Excellent service, great food

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

This restaurant, very well located, is an excellent options. The service is wonderfull and the food is great. I really recommend.

Pros: Service, Food quality
Laura Lou
Laura Lou

Delicious food, helpful staff

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

The food here is excellent. I am a vegetarian with coeliacs disease and the menu clearly marked all gluten free options (and there were many gluten free options!) The staff were very helpful and provided me with delicious gluten free bread to accompany my quinoa and tofu burger. My partner had the same as me and he thoroughly enjoyed it.The portions were very generous and we were very happy with our visit.

Pros: lovely food, friendly staff
hairybec
hairybec

Must-visit for vegans

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

This restaurant is what most vegans dream of: friendly staff, plenty of choice, clear descriptions of each dish and delicious food. I had a vegan quinoa burger and my partner had a vegetable gratin, both of which were amazingly tasty and so filling that we didn't have room for dessert. No problem though, the friendly waitress boxed up one of their vegan cakes to take away. I'm so glad we did because it was delicious! A light moist cake topped with chocolate mousse and raspberries. The only downside here is the cosiness, with tables packed in very close, but it does give you chance to get to know some other travellers!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff and good ambience, Menu in English and good vegan choices
Cons: Very cosy!
Gobbledock
Gobbledock

The vegan Opera Cake is to die for!

Posted on 04 / 26 / 2012

A tiny all vegetarian and very vegan friendly restaurant in the Marais, just down the road from the Pompidou, which serves primarily French/ European cuisine. The food was really delicious, and the portions generous- the style was homey yet carefully prepared with interesting flavours, just what I love! But the real highlight for me was the desert... an absolutely devine, delicate, moist Opera Cake.... something I would never had thought could be made vegan... I loved it so much I wanted to go back the next day and buy one of each of their patisseries just to try them all.

Also, they have the menu in English.

Pros: patisseries, ambiance
LaVanessa
LaVanessa

Excellent, classy, friendly

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2012

As noted, this place is not cheap so it's good for a treat. The food is varied and tasty, portions are generous. Very friendly staff. My only complaints: their new phone number and opening hours are not on their website. We had tried to make a reservation but since the phone number didn't work, when we just showed up we had to wait about an hour. It wasn't a big deal because of our particular circumstances but that's something that should be easily and quickly corrected. Also, there's a major draft that blows in on the benches near the front door. They need to seal that up. Otherwise, I'm really glad I came here and would recommend it to anyone looking for upscale organic vegetarian and vegan food in Paris. I came with my partner and a friend, and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meals.

Pros: lots of vegan options, friendly staff, quality food
Cons: expensive, drafty
VegoRob72
VegoRob72

A must for vegetarians in Paris

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2012

We've eaten here at least half a dozen times. It's so great to get the 'French' dnining experience at a vegetarian restaurant. We found the service to be great, the ambiance exceptional and the food options both tasty and filling. It is expensive but worth it.

The new renovations have created a bit of space, but it can get squashy when it's busy. The thing is though, customers seem to be super-cool about it which adds to the atmosphere.

Love it!

Pros: Variety, Ambiance, Experience
Cons: A bit pricey
Sarayna
Sarayna

Great place

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2012

Have just got returned to my hotel after eating at le potager du marais and I am absolutely stuffed, the portions were very generous, and very tasty. I had french onion soup, and seitan bourguignon. I like that they do classic french food as all too often vegetarian options are restricted to the same dishes wherever you are in the world (like vege lasagne, houmous, tomato pasta...) Also liked that it is a 'normal' restaurant with the emphasis on having a nice meal out with your friends with no guilt inducing posters or health supplement juices - a good place to eat out with meat eating friends. Very slight criticism is that there is a high presence of fake meat in the main courses it would be nice if the dishes showed off vegetables themselves more rather than depending on 'meat'. The service was good, and the place was packed so would defintiely recommend reserving. The phone number listed here (same as that on the restaurants own website) seemed to be out of order when I tried to reserve so if that happens to you fear not it has not closed down.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff, Picture menu so you know what you get!
Cons: Lots of fake meat, Nothing that inventive on the menu
Laudi
Laudi

Simply Great!

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2012

We were looking for a French restaurant serving vegan "French" food, and we were lucky that we found this place. We were also lucky to get a free table, so you should definetely consider a reservation if you plan your trip upfront.
Okay, the food is expensive, but it is just outstanding, so you get what you pay for. I am looking forward to visit Paris again - and this place is one of the reasons why.

Pros: Great Chef, Original atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Hard to get a table
AnnFromIllinois
AnnFromIllinois

We'll soon be regulars

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

On a house-hunting trip to Paris, we discovered this wonderful little restaurant. It's casual and wonderful. Most of the options are vegan, including a huge dessert selection. Great service and wonderful tastes. We had the seaweed tartare, mushroom pate, seitan, mushroom/nut loaf, creme brulee and charlotte. We'd have any of them again. This restaurant is making us lean heavily towards renting an apt. in this neighborhood so that we'll just be walking distance away. Definitely go!

Pros: location, wide selection on menu, great service
Cons: only 32 places
kwanza
kwanza

Outstanding

Posted on 01 / 18 / 2012

I had a fantastic time at Le Potager du Marais. I took two meat-eating friends and they were very impressed. It's a small, cosy restaurant with friendly staff and plenty of character.

I had a vegan nut roast dish (with a French twist), which was excellent. Many of the main dishes come with a choice of rice, quinoa or potatoes. There is also an impressive variety of vegan desserts, including creme brulee (which waas pretty decent)! The meal was quite pricey, but definitely worth it.

It was very busy when I went, so it's worth booking.

Pros: excellent food, extensive menu, vegan desserts
hwalton
hwalton

Expensive, but Good.

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2012

My wife (vegetarian) and I (vegan) went to Le Potager du Marais this past week while on vacation from New York.

The restaurant was full but the staff squeezed us into a corner table. We then ordered the Seitan Bourguignon, Mushroom Duxelles, Charlotte Cake and Creme au Chocolat. Both the Seitan Bourguignon (with fried potatoes) and Mushroom Duxelles were excellent. We were also very pleased with the Charlotte Cake and Creme au Chocolat for desert. The Creme au Chocolat was one of the best vegan renditions of chocolate pudding I have ever had. Overall the food was very good.

The wait staff was friendly and were relatively attentive, although a little slow.

Despite the satisfying experience, we did have a few criticisms. Our main criticism is the cost. Although the food and service were good, the cost was too high for the quality of the experience. For this price the atmosphere was too cramped and casual.

Specific to the food, the flavors of the Seitan Bourguignon were great, the seitan itself was soft and would have benefitted from bring grilled or sauteed before incorporation into the dish. The Mushroom Duxelles was also delicious, but the pureed broccoli that accompanied the dish had a displeasing taste.

Pros: Location, Excellent Food
Cons: Overpriced, Decor
vegsdnjoms
vegsdnjoms

Positive experience

Posted on 12 / 26 / 2011

Food was very good and creative. I had a seitan stew, my wife the vegan burger with mushrooms. The burger was made from quinoa.
All food was very delicious, atmosphere was good, service very attentive.
Pricing moderate.

Pros: creative menu, good food, atmosphere
Carolegod
Carolegod

gorgeous

Posted on 12 / 15 / 2011

this was a fab place to eat, lovely setting, brill choice (I am vegan) no rush, lovely atmosphere, excellent service, highly recommended

Pros: food
Cons: little pricey but worth it
JulianUK
JulianUK

Excellent organic veggie restaurant central Paris

Posted on 11 / 13 / 2011

I was delighted to find this organic veggie restaurant so close to central Paris and my other favourite places in the Marais. We paid 25 euros for 3 delightful courses that
were full of flavour and presented really well by the friendly owner and staff, as well as healthy organic and vegan - this is typical price in central Paris, in many places you'd pay a lot more for tourist crap. We tried the soup, a quinoa dish, the bean curry with tasty wholegrain rice, and carrot and orange pudding, then came back on our
return trip through Paris a few days later for more. Come the day when everywhere will have such good eateries!

Pros: great food, friendly english speaking staff, location, atmosphere
anne1
anne1

Awful

Posted on 10 / 10 / 2011

We really thought this would be a nice treat for us but could not have been more disappointed and angry! We waited at least 20 minutes for a menu and then another 20 minutes to order food and wine. All this time, there was a complete lack of eye contact or reassurance that the (busy) staff knew we were then. The staff then told me that my 'dish of the day' had finished so I gave them my second choice only to end up with the original choice! Both mains were cold though so were returned to the kitchen with a response from the waitress of complete incredulity! By this point, of course there were no more 'dish of the day' mains left so I resorted to my original second choice! Again, both dishes were lukewarm but by this point we just wanted to eat something and get out. We needed to remind the staff four times that we had ordered a bottle of wine which never materialised. 32 Euros for vegan chilli and seitan goulash is a joke but coupled with appalling service and lack of heat is an absolute insult. Shame on this restaurant which could be a shining light in this beautiful city. We left, annoyed and let down, and went in search of a bar and some culture.

Pros: It's in Paris! That's all
Cons: bad food, no imagination, bad service
  • Orchidgirl Orchidgirl

While I'm sorry that you did not have an enjoyable experience, I wanted to second the response from Vancity25 - when I first visited Paris, I was completely unaware of the dining customs there. It's true that meals are generally a social occasion to be enjoyed at a leisurely pace, and being in a hurry is considered rude. At most restaurants, you will not be presented with your bill until you ask for it, so that you feel welcome to sit and talk for hours if you like. Now I'm much more aware of how fast we eat in the states...so much nicer to slow things down and enjoy!

• anne1 anne1

Thanks both for your feedback. I am well aware of the European relaxed approach to dining and, as a busy person, welcome it!! I think the point here was that it wasn't 'relaxed' but dismissive, uninterested and lacklustre. Despite your defence, I am afraid I/we maintain our opinion and I will take a lot of persuading to spend hard earned money here again!! Happy 2012.

• Vancity25 Vancity25

I wanted to comment on the slowness/lack of service you've mentioned. In France quick service is actually considered rude. There people go out to eat as an event and good service is allowing the customer lots of time to linger, etc. This leads to courses coming very slowly, barely seeing the waiter, etc. Pretty much the exact opposite of what people are use to in other countries.

tsap
tsap

Enjoyable Food

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our meal here. It was not among the best vegan dining experiences either of us have had, but the food and the service was good. We left happy and full.

Traveller
Traveller

Not impressed

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2011

We have eaten vegan and vegetarian food all over the world and expected a restaurant in Paris to be right up there with New York's eateries. We were quite disappointed. The food was expensive and bland. The service was so-so. It was not the experience that we were anticipating.

Pros: nice atmosphere, pleasant staff
Cons: food, service, prices
gkreitz
gkreitz

Good food

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2011

Well-made food - nice western-style vegetarian and vegan food, with the vegan dishes clearly marked. We didn't have a reservation, but were lucky and still got a table. The note in the listing is correct though - you really should make a reservation.

Pros: Excellent food, Central location
BettyBoo
BettyBoo

Am I the only one not liking this place?

Posted on 06 / 26 / 2011

Le Potager du Mariais has a great location and excellent apple cider, and that's about it. Been there in December of 2010 with a friend and left rather drunk than full, as we couldn't finish our dishes not because portiones were big but because the food was bad.

My friend had chilli sin carne and sin taste and I had a root vegetable mash dish with fried potatoes and over powering nut loaf.

Two main dishes and a bottle of cider came to 50 euro. Totally not worth the money.

Pros: great location, big portions
Cons: mediocre food, expensive
Ruby X
Ruby X

Delicieux

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2011

We almost didn't find le Potager, but luckily we did!

It was quite early and because we had eaten a cheesecake a few hours before, we skipped the entrees and went straight for the main course. I had a quinoa burger with goats cheese (there is also a version with tofu). It came with a pretty plain salad, but also delicious beans. The burger was excellent and the goats cheese was not to dominant but accented the dish just right.

My boyfriend had a spinach lasagne with 3 cheeses, one of the suggestions. It was very tasty and had huge amounts of spinach. It came with a slightly bigger portion of the plain salad, but without those yummy beans.

We each had one of the eight (!) vegan desserts. They were quite tasty, but unfortunately did not have much of the lemon aroma we had hoped for. Although they both had "lemon" in their name. But like I said, they were very tasty.

Also good to know, we got free water with our meal. And it came in a wine bottle. Nice touch! When we emptied it, they swiftly replaced with a filled one. Without us even asking.

All in all a great place to eat in Paris. Plenty of vegan options for those who want it, friendly service and most importantly: a menu that isn't filled with mock meats. A rarity in vegetarian Paris.

This is certainly one of the better options in Paris!

Pros: menu with original dishes, plenty of vegan options, free water!
Cons: a bit pricy (hey, it's Paris!), plain salads
lauraismynametoo
lauraismynametoo

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2011

Had a delicious meal here with a friend. Nothing to complain about. The service was nice and the server was very helpful. The dessert was mind-blowingly amazing. I will definitely eat there again.

Pros: tasty, many vegan options, friendly service
davidbridel
davidbridel

It's okay

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2011

It might be a bit over-rated. Sure, it's refreshing to find well-made vegan food in the heart of Paris. But I found the three entrees my party ordered to be lacking in variety, the desserts to be less than fresh, and the price to be pretty severe. It's good, but I can't say I thought it was great.

ssstique
ssstique

Simple and nice

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2011

Nice organic vegetarian/vegan only food. Some really boring and non creative dishes probably for raw food customers. Dessert was something I could easily have done without because it wasn't great (chocolate cream). Soup of the day was fennel cream which was not extraordinary. My friend had the boring salad and then a quinoa burger with some kind of beetroot mash which he could not finish because it had a very strong smell of probably orange and lavender essential oil. Wine was nice (expensive). Slow and kind service.

Pros: vegetarian
Cons: menu dull, slow service, boring dishes
chrisvolta
chrisvolta

Perfect Night

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2011

After a long day my girlfriend and I were both very tired, she was excessively so. Once we got here and ordered and had an amazing bottle of wine we both felt like a million bucks. We got the on a monday night at about 7pm and it filled up fast. I got the 3 course set meal and at 25 euros for a full veggie dinner with no worrying what we ordered and more importantly GREAT FOOD, I'll take it. Desserts were very good as well. Service was a bit slow in the side room, theres two rooms to this restaurant, so if you walk into one and see no staff dont freak. But it was pretty buzzy for a monday. All in all we are going to try to go again.

Pros: Great Food, Great Wine, Good Service
Cons: Get there EARLY
SunFlowerChild
SunFlowerChild

Close to Pompidou Centre

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2011

Enjoyed our meal. Lots of choice. Expensive as all places are in Paris. Toilets were down a dark alley. Didn't realise until we left that there were two parts to the restaurant - we did wonder why all the food came in through the door!

Pros: Excellent food, Easy to find
Cons: Location of toilet
Heatherjayne
Heatherjayne

Good portions bit more pricey

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2011

Whilst in Paris we visited this restaurant twice along with Aquarius and Saveur Vegethalles. Lovely menu/specials board - we were spolit for choice. Of the three restaurants, this place was most expensive (50E for two courses not including drinks) however it was the deserts that made it expensive as these were 8E each. Portion sizes though were best here and it was nice to see the meals coming with chipped potatoes (which were yummy!) rather than just rice or cous cous.

Pros: Portion sizes, Menu
Cons: Overpriced deserts
Kim Stallwood
Kim Stallwood

Vegan in Paris go to Le Potager!

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2011

In the Marais neighbourhood in the third and fourth arrondissements of Paris is a lovely organic vegan/vegetarian restaurant called Le Potager du Marais. This week we had dinner there. We highly recommended Le Potager as a restaurant to go to when you're next in Paris. We chose from the table d'hote menu a three-course meal for 25 euros. Our two appetisers were a fresh green salad and a walnut pate. The salad was fresh and generous. The pate was firm and tasty. One entree was a slightly smokey flavoured casserole with mixed chopped vegetables, chickpeas and raisins. The casserole was served with diced fried potatoes. The other was quinoia burger which was expertly fried as it was firm on the outside but soft in the middle. It was served with salad. The desserts were a rich chocolate mousse and an orange and carrot flan, which complemented each other very well. The refreshing flavour of the flan made a delicious counterpoint to the intense flavour of the mousse. This time it was good to share desserts! The Marais is an historic neighbourhood undergoing a creative revival. It is not very far from the Pompidou modern art museum in the nearby Beaubourg neighbourhood. We did visit the Pompidou, which is always fun but the spectacular building is looking a little neglected in places. The Mondrian was interesting but there's only so many little red squares that can be enjoyed before they all become, well, a lot of little red squares. The Musee d'Orsay art museum is much more interesting. A grand old railway station on the bank of the Seine across from the Louvre is now a stunning art museum specialising in the period 1848-1918.

Pros: Delicious food, Great tasting desserts, Helpful service
Claire Bear
Claire Bear

Paris in Spring!

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2011

We had a fantastic meal for our wedding anniversary last June (2010) in Le Potager. Delicieux bourginonne (I am now a fan of seitan) and my husband had a fab goulash. Yummy chocolate mousse for pudding. The Patron was charming and seemed to understand my schoolgirl French. Highly recommended and thanks to Happy Cow - would never have found this gem without you in the first place!

Pros: Imaginative food, Charming service, Central location
Cons: May need to book as it's tiny
meagan
meagan

Not to be missed!

Posted on 12 / 26 / 2010

Ate a delicious dinner here just before Christmas. I ordered the croustillant quinoa burger with mushroom sauce, which came with salad and mashed sweet potatoes. My partner got the mushroom and walnut dish with roasted potatoes. For dessert we had the apple tart. Everything was very very good and I am definitely planning a trip to eat here again! The staff were all friendly and let us sit in the smaller more intimate part of the restaurant (there are two dining areas, I recommend the smaller one, it has a warmer feel to it) We made reservations, which is a good thing to do if you are planning on dining there on the weekends, as the restaurant seemed to fill up rather quickly. Le Potager du Marais is now my favorite place to eat in Paris!!! Don't miss it!

Pros: creative dishes, warm atmosphere, good-sized, tasty portions
Cons: too full to eat more!
comahony
comahony

Favorite Restaurant EVER

Posted on 11 / 29 / 2010

Le Potager is a perfect little cozy Parisian restaurant. My husband and I went 3 times on our 6 day trip to Paris. We even took our meat eating friends who loved it! It's a little more expensive than others, but the meals are so worth it. The specials were incredible and the desserts were all fabulous. We took one of everything to go! There's even a separate little cafe for more casual dining. I just love this place.

Pros: delicious food, generous portions, super service
dianec
dianec

Vegan friendlly but pricey

Posted on 11 / 18 / 2010

The menu selections provided several vegan options without the use of soy. The salad was large enough for a meal. The portions were large. The staff was friendly and spoke English.
While the food was excellent it was a bit pricey.

Pros: excellent food, nice decor, english friendly
kraimondo
kraimondo

Tasty!

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2010

Very nice restaurant serving French food in Paris. It was expensive though - 17 euro for a la carte main dishes, and 10 euros for entrees. Wait staff were very friendly, helpful, and spoke English. I had a mushroom fricasse with quinoa and a salad, and French onion soup, all of which was delicious. My husband had a crunchy quinoa burger, which wasn't exactly French, but good nonethless. This also came with a salad. Wish we had known this because he got a salad to start, which was just lettuce in a bowl - no dressing or other vegetables - for 7 euros. Overall though, its a good restaurant and I would recommend it.

Pros: tasty, vegetarian, open all day
Cons: expensive
veganstastebetter
veganstastebetter

amazing

Posted on 10 / 08 / 2010

After a day of wandering Paris I was ready for a meal. This restaurant was easy to find in a nice hip neighborhood. It is small but we had no problem getting a table. I found the prices more than reasonable for an expensive city like Paris. The food was amazing, I was stuffed from my meal but managed to find room for dessert. The staff were very pleasant, the friendliest in Paris.

Pros: location, great food, great staff
Cons: small but cozy
smultron
smultron

Sometimes good, sometimes...

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2010

I went to the Potager two times now. The first time, the food we ordered did not convince us at all. We tried it a second time a few months later, and this time, the food was very good. I don't know if we chose the wrong dishes or the wrong day the first time. The portions are not very big though, and relatively expensive. The restaurant is small, better make a reservation.

Pros: lots of vegan options, food can be very good, cozy atmosphere
Cons: taste somehow unrealiable, relatively expensive
conservomom
conservomom

Vegan French Food - superb!

Posted on 10 / 02 / 2010

We were starving after a day full of museum-hopping and this dinner topped off the day perfectly. The food was great and so was the service. The intimate setting allowed us to meet and chat with some fellow travelers too.
Perfectly sized portions - we had room for scrumptious vegan dessert.

Pros: Great food, nice atmosphere, helpful staff
veglife
veglife

Posted on 09 / 30 / 2010

Walking distance from the Pompidou. Went here twice during a week stay in Paris. Had the special both times and it was amazing. My travel companion had the quinoa burger, which was equally amazing. Portions are hearty and a little green salad comes with each meal. Very good organic Bordeaux - I don't usually like organic wines. All vegetarian, many vegan options. Very friendly staff and a few speak English. Menu in both French and English. The deserts leave something to be desired, however. Tried the gluten-free chocolate cake and the lemon tart. Perhaps the others are better.

Pros: the food, organic wine, many vegan options
Cons: desserts are just OK
Veronica01
Veronica01

Decent for vegan food in Paris but small portions

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2010

Decided on this place for dinner because of all the good reviews.

We ordered the Quinoa "burger" with mushroom gravy and the special of the day was a non spicy curry with rice.

The food did not take very long, I suspect because all of it is premade and just needs to be heated up and/or plated.

The burger is just a patty, served with a little gravy on top, a small dollup of yams and a little bit of salad. It wasn't bad, it's just not really a burger. They give you a basket of plain sourdough bread pieces as well, wasn't sure what to do with that.

The curry I liked, since I don't like spicy, but it was bland for my husband.

We asked if they could give us an idea of what other specials they would have for the rest of the week and the waitress said the chef basically makes up the special with no advance planning every day and she could not tell us. We were hoping to find out if they would make goulash since we wanted to try vegan goulash. No luck

Pricey for a small premade vegan meal, we opted out of the appetizer and wine but it still wasn't cheap!

P.S. stay inside unless you want smoke in your face from the other patrons!

Pros: vegan friendly
Cons: small portions, pricy, limited menu
Carmelita
Carmelita

Makes Paris all worth while

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2010

We were a group of 7 eating dinner at Le Potager du Marais. We didn't find the place as small as other people write, it was cozy and comfy. We love the food, especially the Quiona burger and the Walnut and mushroom burgers. The salads were lovely. The desserts (except for the green tea fruit compot) were great as well. The staff were friendly eventhough some of us couldn't speak French.

The freshly made juices were excellent. We loved the place so much so we visited them again for lunch and enjoyed that as much.

Coming from Sweden we didn't find the prices high and felt we got good value for what we paid.

The only thing we didn't like so much was the toilet outside.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff
Cons: Outside toilet
janice vitullo
janice vitullo

Recommend it!

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2010

We ate here twice and found the food to be very good and the service adequate. The first time, we ordered specifically vegan entrees and they were excellent. The second time, we ordered pasta with pesto sauce without the cheese and it was a bit bland, so we would recommend sticking to the explicitly vegan items.

jmw5577
jmw5577

Delicious French Vegan Food!

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2010

This place is absolutely wonderful. We went there 3 times during our week in Paris. The service is exceptional! There were many vegan options, all of which were very clearly marked, the menu is in English as well as French and the staff is exceptionally helpful. The daily menu was always excellent (a Hungarian ghoulash, kohlrabi with pesto and eggplant moussaka on the days we were there). We also tried to seitan bourguignon a couple of times and it was perfect! For dessert, the soy cappuccinos are great: foamy and well-made. In our various visits we also had the vegan chocolate cake (very dense and rich), the vegan apple pie (so tasty) and the vegan chocolate mousse (light and perfect). And one particularly hot day, we were in the mood for ice cream. Although they didn't have any, the very kind waiter told us exactly where to find a chocolate soy gelato less than two blocks away. So kind! The place itself is also very cute, with a couple of tables outside for dining in nice weather and also a very clean bathroom.

Overall, it's a bit on the expensive side, but the food is incredible and the service was wonderful which makes it worth the price. Very highly recommended!

Pros: Excellent service and helpful staff, Incredibly delicious food, Clearly marked vegan options
vegetalien
vegetalien

Very Good

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2010

My partner and I went here about a week ago, and had a very nice meal. We split the seaweed tartiner, and I then had the nut roast and my husband had the plat de jour, which was moussaka. Since it was a birthday dinner, we also had some of their gluten-free vegan chocolate cake (made with chestnut flour), which was great--the chestnut flour makes it very fudge-y! (I should note that that cake may have been a special for that day.) Everything was very, very good. I think the nut roast could have a been a *little* less salty, but it was still delicious; and the pureed cauliflower and fried potatoes that came with it complimented it really well.

Also, I should mention that our waiter was wonderful. He was patient with our slow and ungrammatical French, and was generally very friendly without being overbearing.

Their menu is translated into English, so if you haven't yet mastered your French food words, ordering is still very easy. All vegan options are clearly marked.

Since we're vegans on a graduate student budget, we can't really eat here all the time--but this is a very good place for a nice vegan meal, and the prices are reasonable.

Pros: Pleasant atmosphere, Good food, Kind staff
estefinparis
estefinparis

Great location - ok food - poor service

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2010

This little restaurant in the Marais has a charming atmosphere and a great location. Personally I didn't enjoy the food too much but my friends did and the presentation was attractive. We had a couple of starters to share (mushroom pate, onion soup) and the quinoa burger, chili sin carne and vegetable gratin as mains (too hearty for an evening meal...) I'm not a dessert person but those were the best! Unfortunately the service was slow and at times the waiters were not as polite as would have been expected, considering it is a pricey restaurant. I was a bit disappointed but I will give it another try.

JulieandMike
JulieandMike

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2010

My husband (who is vegan) and I went to this restaurant twice while we were in Paris. Both times, the food, wine, and service were excellent! Lots of vegan choices (menu and specials are mostly vegan) and friendly service. Both servers we had spoke some English and the menu and specials were available in English as well. Warm, quaint atmosphere but make a reservation as the place filled up both times we were there.

Pros: Great Location, Delicious Food, Friendly, efficient Service
Cons: A bit pricey but worth it
rach
rach

LOVED this place !!!

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2010

What a find - in Paris. I wish this restaurant was in Sydney!! The food was great, its a sweet little restaurant, nice for a lovely evening out. The chocolate mousse (vegan) was to die for. How do they do that without dairy!! The waiter was really friendly and spoke good english. Loved this place and would definatley go back!!!! Worth going out of your way for.

Pros: Great find in Paris, Chocolate mousse, Sweet little place
Cons: NOTHING! maybe expand?
DonnaC
DonnaC

Small and sleek

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2010

Small sleek restaurant, Be prepared to sit very close to other diners and tables have to be moved to gain access to seats. However, the restaurant has a lovely atmosphere and extensive choice of meals including good choice for vegans. I opted for the mushroom duxelle which was good. The biggest con was the service and attitude from the waitress who served us, we waited about 40 mins to be served and the waitress's manner was quite unpleasant at times, however, this did not prevent us from having an enjoyable experience. Booking is recommended.

Pros: good choice, lovely restaurant
Cons: very small, poor service
hack_man
hack_man

Tight squeeze with a Please

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2010

With the Victoire Supreme du Coeur sadly closing in 2009 this is probably the most widely known vegetarian restaurant in Paris. Booking was pretty essential as it was packed out on Saturday night for the second sitting at 9pm. Service was poor to the point of almost being ignored but this is Paris and Paris is amazing, so who cares. The food was very good (sauteed aubergine wrapped around goat's cheese served with roast potatoes and mushroom duxelle served with rice). The whole meal (2 mains and a bottle of white came to €51). Not bad for Paris. The restaurant seats diners on one side only so the person sitting next to the wall has to be let in by staff moving the table away for them. It's a cosy place with a good atmposphere. There was only one waitress attending to everyone so that may explain the long wait, I can give the benefit of the doubt. Would definitely go again.

Pros: food, atmosphere
Cons: size, toilets outside, long wait for food
chrystanthem
chrystanthem

Posted on 04 / 03 / 2010

my mom and I went to Paris this easter, and we ended up eating here three times in a row!

We ate:
*quinoa burger with provencale sauce
*chili sin carne
*vegetables baked with chickpeas and raisins
*dish of the day: Aubergine gratin

The burger was exeptionally good, so was the aubergine gratin. The chili was very good, and the baked vegetables was okay (a bit too soft to my liking)

The staff was very friendly, and even though the seating area was small and narrow, it was so cozy inside that we didn't really mind...

the mains cost about 15 euros each. Lots of vegan choises, but they also serve cheese. most of the mains come with a choise of starch; either brown rice, quinoa or potatoes.

all in all a wonderful place. recommended!

Pros: friendly staff, good food, cozy
Cons: a bit small
SagarKShah
SagarKShah

Amazing Food

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2009

My vegan girlfriend and I had dinner here in December 2009.

It's located in a very trendy part of Paris.

Food was pricey - but defiitely well worth the splurge... Food was delicious...Waiter was incredibly friendly and attentive and gave lots of ideas about what we should try. We ordered one set menu for 25EUR (starter, main, dessert), and two mains a-la-carte, and 500ml wine. Worked out to about 35 EUR each - but definitely worth every cent!

Starter:
mushroom pate - was great - but we ended up eating too much bread and getting full...

Mains:
- quinoa burger with mushroom sauce
- walnut roast with saffron sauce

both came with salad, and sweet potato and parsnip mash.
latter came with choice of brown rice, quinoa and cubed potatoes.

Both mains were amazing - and very filling

They also gave give special japanese sea salt with toasted sesame seeds,and nutritional yeast flakes

Dessert:
- fruit compote with green tea -
- fondant de chocolat with chestnut flour - gluten free and almond chontilly

Both desserts were great - but the fruit compote was probably a bit pricey for what it was.

Overall a great dinner..

Pros: Great Food, Great service, Great location
TammyB
TammyB

Very Good!

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2009

It is a cosy place and the food is very good. I tried the seitan beef Bourguignon and the chilli sans carne - they come with your choice of carb - potato/brwon rice/quinoa. The vibe reminds that of a French Bistro, only the menue is vegan. The staff is quite nice. Closed between 3pm-6pm, mind you. Not cheap at all.

Pros: Very pleasant, Food is very good and inspired
Cons: Not cheap....
paypar
paypar

Nice food, crowded, bit expensive

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2009

My husband and I choose this place as it was on Happy Cow and it was reviewed by a guidebook we were using. The service was friendly but the place is VERY SMALL. We choose the menu option, where you get 1 soup, entree, and 1 dessert. I ate the soup, my husband ate the entree (a burger), and we shared the dessert (chocolate pot). We both enjoyed our meal, which came to Euro 25.

Pros: all vegetarian menu, tasty food
Cons: expensive, crowded
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

A small restaurant indeed

Posted on 11 / 01 / 2009

This was a very small and narrow restaurant but we got there early so we did not feel crowded. The place would not seat more than 30 people. Our server spoke English and the menu was in French and English so that made things comfortable. I had the cauliflower soup, followed by the lentils and sausage and finished with the apple tarte. I am always so pleased to find vegan food that I am not very critical but I did find the food a bit on the dense side. I don't think vegetarian in the French tradition is my cup of tea somehow but it was an interesting experience.

Pros: very vegan friendly, easy to order
Cons: food was a little heavy
Bettina
Bettina

Lovely atmosphere & absolutely great food!

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2009

Very cozy little restaurant, amazing atmosphere. Wonderful mushroom/seitan roast, lovely seaweed salad, the best lentil soup I ever had in my life. Will go there every time I'm in Paris. Unbelievably tasty vegan wine.

Pros: nice atmosphere, friendly staff
PhilippeNicolitch
PhilippeNicolitch

Needs work

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2009

Dear sir,

We had dinner at the Potager du Marais on Sunday September 13th. At the end of the meal, I asked for your email address to share experience with you. We did not feel it was right to do that while the restaurant was full, nor while you where busy working.

We are both vegan and we love to eat good and apetizing meals. Although we are parisians, we travelled a lot and visited many vegan restaurants in many countries and as such we are often tempted to make comparisons. This is why we are extremely frustrated to see that Paris falls way behind cities like New York or San Francisco where vegan restaurants within the same price range are amazing gastronomic restaurants. We particularly think of Candle 79 in New York City or Millenium in San Francisco, which offered an amazing food experience for both the eyes and the palate. Space rental in those two cities are very similar to Paris and business taxes are probably similar too.

We had dinner at your restaurant, we had the celery-curry soup, the mushroom risotto and the Tatin tart.

The celery soup was bland, and lacked curry and smoothness. It should be more seasoned, more 'creamy'. We felt we ate a bunch of boiled vegetables thrown in the blender with a little bit of salt. Nothing very fancy that anyone can do at home.

The risotto should have been prepared with arborio rice, the real risotto rice, which gives this specific sticky and creamy aspect. There too, the dish lacked taste, seasoning and attention. We felt we were eating rice boiled in ready-made vegetable broth, in which mushrooms were added at the end. Here again, we were very far from a gastronomic experience.

The tart Tatin was good, but nothing to write home about. However the whipped almond 'chantilly' needs work. It tasted like plain almond milk poured in the blender for a few minutes. It was foamy, but nothing else. By no means was it 'chantilly' cream.

The reason why we are so frustrated is that the recipes you served us needed serious improvement considering the prices you ask for. With just a little bit of attention and at a very low cost, you should be able to turn those dishes into something wonderful.

Finally, please train the young waitress on duty that night to be more friendly. You are yourself very smiley and full of attention to the customers, but she is a wall of ice. This is not acceptable in a business where customer service is a priority.

(Sent via email to the owner. Ten days later still no response).

Pros: Location, Friendly owner
Cons: Food needs work and creativity, No customer service follow up, Not good value for money
  • irlandaise irlandaise

I had the EXACT same experience! The owner was very very nice and full of smiles, but the waitress was HORRIBLE!!! Our food was good though, perhaps it depends on the menu of the day.

roxxy23
roxxy23

My favorite Paris restaurant

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2009

Le Potager du Marais was hands down my favorite restaurant during my week long trip to Paris two years ago. The food and atmosphere was very enjoyablem and I can't wait to return when I visit Paris again! When we arrived the server tried to explain that there was a large group reservation at 9pm, in case we wouldn't have time. I thought my French was bad because it wasn't yet 7pm, but being American I haven't yet mastered the 2+ hour dinner. The server pulled a table out from the wall and my Mom took a seat on the booth that spanned to wall of the restaurant. The seating area is approximately 15 tables sitting side by side in one long row, booth on one side & chairs on the other. Great use of space. I recall my Mom had a Hungarian goulash made with tofu that was amazing (all the food was spectacular, but I can't remember the details). Something that added to the fun was the two young models sitting next to us. They were discussing one of their photo books and barely eating anything...a very Parisian experience to me. If you've read this far, I want to highly recommend this restaurant!

Pros: Excellent food!, Creative cuisine, Great atmosphere
veganwanderer
veganwanderer

definitely worth a visit

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2009

very much enjoyed this restaurant and recommend it strongly. while it was expensive (though not over the top, and possibly this is the price to pay for healthier food) the portions were plentiful and we walked away stuffed and with leftovers. i'm traveling with my very NON-vegan spouse, who tolerates an occasional veggie meal. he very much enjoyed his meal, and it satisfied him completely.

the atmosphere was cozy and inviting, though we were there during a non-busy time and busy times could feel cramped; the service was friendly and welcoming.

as a side note, the menu was full of gluten-free options; while we didn't discuss with the restaurant if they are appropriate for celiacs, we are certainly going to recommend this place to our celiac friends and family travelers as a place where they could get a delicious, wholesome and satisfying meal.

Pros: excellent food, many gluten-free options
azna
azna

=)

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2009

We went here our first night in Paris, when we were absolutely starving. First of all, the waiter was really really sweet, even though his thoughts never seemed to be in order. The food was great (though expensive) and we could hardly eat it all. There's quite a lot to chose from on the menu aswell :) My only regret it not coming back and having dessert aswell some day!

mrtofu
mrtofu

Incredible food. Highly recommended!

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2009

With its graffito'd awnings and small street space, it would be easy to overlook this place. You'd be certainly missing out if you do. The food here was fantastic - my girlfriend and I each had a 3-course menu for 25 euro and a glass of wine for about 5. Everything was delicious and delicately made - as well as being pleasantly filling. A highlight of our trip to Paris!

Pros: Brilliant food, Nice atmosphere, Good selection on menu
Cons: Not cheap, Street tables were at an angle...
oddvegan
oddvegan

very disappointing

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

this was my first time here, i travel once a year or more to paris and this was our honeymoon so we wanted something nice...this was the wrong place. the menu must be different as there was no "page" of vegan options, there were vegan options but no seperate page. I had the seitan bourgognon (Sp)which was tough and boring and there was little more than a few big pieces of seitan a couple carrot slices and wine sauce. my version is much better and i expected top quality for the price and hey it's a french dish i thought they would do it justuce, but no. my husband had the quinoa burger with mushroom sauce and it cold, the burger and the sauce, we both ordered the menu but as they were out of one thing i wanted and i had to choose something else i had to pay full price, we left hungry and had spent 70 euros...i went and ate felafel on rue de rosiers afterwards and for 5 euros i was happier with the taste and quality... our experience was not good and i will not return... not recomended in my book...

Pros: location
Cons: price, food, service
liz Michael
liz Michael

excellent

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

I love this place. It is my favorite vegetarian in Paris. Good quality interesting food. Good service.
Highly recommend.

Andrew Knox
Andrew Knox

Best Main Course I've Ever Had

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2009

If you are in Paris and you don't go to Le Potager du Marais, you are wasting your life. I had the quinoa burger there, with the mushroom gravy. The burger was like the best grain or tofu based protein dense fried stuff I can imagine but taken up a notch and not too oily. I like to make mushroom gravy and frequently do, but I could study cooking for the rest of my life and never be able to make one as good as I was served at Le Potager du Marais. The two together made the best main course I've ever had. Some chefs are just gifted. The dish cost me 17 euros, but the flavours made for incredible value for money. I cannot recommend this restaurant and their quinoa burger highly enough. I would give it 6 cows if I could.

Pros: Exquisite food, Good Value
goldie711
goldie711

Good

Posted on 05 / 24 / 2009

Pleasant dining experience. The restaurant felt a bit cramped but the food was fairly good. But to be honest I was there a week ago and can not even remember what I ate. So, it was a good experience but not remarkable.

Pros: good food
Cons: cramped
sherill
sherill

Our favourite place to eat in Paris

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2009

We had an incredible meal at Le Potager du Marais. I had the seiten bourguignon and my husband had a quinoa and tofu burger with curry sauce. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meal. I liked mine so much that I've tried to replicate it at home. My attempt was good, but not even close to the bourguignon at Le Potager. We tried to go back again before leaving Paris, but they were very very busy, not surprisingly. We will definitely go back (with reservations) the next time we're in Paris. GO!

Pros: Amazing food, nice service, popular (also a con)
Cons: popular (also a pro) make a reservation!
X-tul23
X-tul23

Weird atmosphere

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2009

Something about this place doesn't feel right. The food was ok, although it only served food based on meat-dish-ideas, nothing highly original. But the guy (owner?) behind the bar must have been the most unfriendly person running a restaurant in the world. No hello, no goodbye. He looked as if all his customers were going on his nerves. The other staff was very friendly though. Decoration is quite awful too and so was the music. The wine we ordered as 50cl definetely was not the correct wine. Sancerre has taste.
This all made for an unpleasant athmosphere and we were happy to leave.

Pros: Food, Location
Cons: The unfriendly Barman, Wine, Athmosphere
sammytree
sammytree

Incredible, memorable meal!

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2009

I went to Paris with my vegetarian girlfriend recently, and we tried a number of vegetarian/friendly restaurants while there. After a few duds, we found our way to Rue Rambouteau to this restaurant. Our meals at Le Potager were major highlights of our entire time in Paris. The creative and gorgeous entrees were a pleasure. The atmosphere is a bit cramped but very friendly. We returned on our last night in Paris for a send-off dinner and could not have been happier. Prices were more than reasonable given the quality. If you are a vegetarian or vegan going to or living in Paris, DEFINITELY GO to the Le Potager!! Allez!!

Pros: Food, Wine, Price
ChezPrune
ChezPrune

not worth it

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2009

Utterly mediocre and vastly overpriced. As a non-veg living in Paris and hosting a veg friend for the weekend, I looked online, found the reviews of this restaurant at this site and booked a table. Well! Vague 'California-style' vegetarian food that either of us could have made at home although with perhaps less grease: she took the tofu steak and I had the quinoa burger (which wasn't carefully cooked as it was still cold in parts). We both got a boring side of grated carrot and cabbage, and she had some greasy fries as well. Her dish was 17 euros, and I had the menu at 22 euros!! The broccoli soup I had was the best thing on the table, and the fromage blanc was standard. Both of our meals should have been 5-10 euros cheaper for the style and care that was put into preparing and serving them.
We were told we only had 2 hours as they have a second service, and it was no problem. We wanted to leave as soon as we finished our cafeteria-type meals in this crowded, loud cafe. Bottom line? Very bad 'rapport qualite/prix' which the French rightly take seriously. I don't know if it's a pure racket, as the owners know they have something of a captive market? Probably high rents because of the central location play a role. Or a combination of the two. My advice: great Lebanese/Israeli food with lots of veg options in the many restaurants on the rue des Rosiers right around the corner. More interesting food, prepared better, for less money.
I feel sorry for foreign (and French!) vegetarians if this is the best food they can get in Paris. I'm happy that I'll never have to go back.

Pros: Broccoli soup was good
Cons: bad value, uninteresting food, mediocre service
  • oddvegan oddvegan

i agree completely! as a vegan i would never return....

TAS
TAS

Posted on 03 / 27 / 2009

this place is great, wonderful personal service and exceptional food. It was not cheap but the experience was worth it. Make a reservation as it is small and books up quickly. Try the blackboard specials of the day. I am a very picky vegetarian who doesn't like a lot of vegan foods and this place was delicious!

dwc840
dwc840

AMAZING

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2009

flat out some of the best food i've had in my entire life - restaurant or home made. the french onion soup was beyond anything i've had elsewhere in paris!
truly spectacular food. only downside was slightly meagre crust on the tarte tartin. oh well.
nice, small and cozy restaurant. definitely make a booking beforehand as they were turning lots of people away throughout our meal. go!

Pros: food, atmosphere, food
Cons: toilet was down an alleyway
skybirdie
skybirdie

Absolutely delicious

Posted on 01 / 01 / 2009

The onion soup is to die for. The salads were colourful and fresh. The helpings are very generous so only order starter and main if you are very hungry. The only small grumble was that the puddings were a little disappointing. The staff were friendly and explained the menu and specials. Also happy to squeeze us in without a booking. It was very popular in October 2008, even on a wet evening. Right on Rue Rambuteau in the heart of a shopping area. Lovely place. Highly recommended. They do a set menu for around €22.

Pros: tasty food, generous portions, good value
Cons: bit of a squeeze
zetetic
zetetic
  • herbivore

Yum

Posted on 12 / 19 / 2008

It's worth a try if you're willing to drop some money. Interesting menu.

Pros: Tasty, interesting
vegan sunshine
vegan sunshine

Lovely

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

I was having a miserable food experience in France last month. They really do eat only chocolate, meat, bread, and cheese. However, this restaurant was amazing. The food was wonderful. My boyfriend and I shared the 20 euro three- course meal. Potato soup, quinoa burger, salad, sweet potato mash, and chocolate pudding. We were SO full! Viva le Potager! The server spoke English, and he was very kind.

Pros: delicious food, nice server, portion size
Cons: tiny eating area
Food For Thought
Food For Thought

Yum!

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2008

The food was delicious! At first i was a bit scared about being vegan in france (they're famous for frogs legs and cheese) but the food here was delicious! I got the nut roast which was really yum and the rest of my family all got the quiona patty

Pros: Yum!, Yum!, Yum!
Taraxacum
Taraxacum

Slightly disappointing

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2008

We went here because it was near our hotel, sounded interesting, and was said to have good food. It wasn't a bad experience, but I've had better veggie food for the price. I should say that it was still cheapish by Paris standards, and the exchange rate was aginst us. The waiter did the thing about reservations that other people have mentioned, but service was OK overall - we've had worse and better in Paris! The quinoa with curry sauce and cheese appeared to have no curry sauce and the cheese was burnt, but the salad was good. The wine was fine for the price. The restaurant wasn't as characterful as we'd heard, but perhaps the diners just happened to be a quiet lot that night. We normally get chatting to people if they seem communicative!

Pros: Good portions, Nice salad
Cons: Bland food, Little ambience
gigi1033
gigi1033

Great Food-Very expensive.

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2008

WE came here as our second choice because of the three carrots and the joy in food was closed but it should recieve 4 carrots if there was a choice =D. Very tasty gourmet food though we had the fresh mushroom pate which was DELICIOUS at 8,50 euros. We also had the special for the time which was chips and guacamole-the chips seemed to be homemade tarot or red potato chips with Amazingly smooth guacamole at 7,50 for a small plate. Then we had a superbly tasty quinoa burger which wasn't what we ordered but we were very satisfied with it because it came with a tasty mushroom sauce and great tasting cauliflower mashed potato style at 10 euros. Every savory dish comes with a small salad made of shredded cabbage, carrots, and lettuce with a nice basalmic. We also had THE BEST chocolate mousse I have ever hadm and although I am not vegan, my friend is and there were a lot of vegan choices of foods and desserts. There was also an option to get a fixed meal with different selections of an appetizer, entree, and a dessert for 22,50. I guess it wasn't too bad in price but we are poor college students and weren't planning on spending that much but if you plan to spend the monies, you'll enjoy it verry verry much. Bon apetit.

Pros: Tasty, Great Food, satisfying
Cons: Expensive, Small portions, slightly cramped
SallyP
SallyP

Very tasty

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2008

The tip here was to get there early. So, we were waiting outside the door when it opened at 6 (Friday evening.) We were the only people there, the place was empty, and the waiter took one look at us, looked around the empty restaurant and said 'have you booked'. You would think he would have remembered a booking if it was the first one of the night. Hey ho. Anyway, he let us stay and eat. The menue is divided between veggie and vegan which makes ordering very easy. However, the prices are scary. I opted to have just a main course, no drinks or starter because it was so pricy. The meal though was very, very tasty. And by the time we'd finished, there was only 5 other people in.....

Pros: very tasty
Cons: very expensive, waiter a bit snooty
marybheine
marybheine

Please make a salad dressing!!

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2008

I went here tonight to give a place a try, as I'm always looking for my next "favorite" vegetarian place. I read all the many reviews, and some were favorable, and some were not. I appreciate all that had written in with their experiences. I knew to make a reservation and to make an early one, so I wasn't eating my meal in someone's lap. I got there just as they opened, but because the waiter was late, it was another half an hour before any food was served to me. I was beyond famished, and a dog outside the restaurant was beginning to look delicious to me. I had the complete menu, which was 22.50 euros. I chose the "salade verte", which was greens, but no dressing (what is it with the French and the no dressing thing?) I was given a spray bottle of vinegar and another bottle of oil. Yuck. It's not difficult to make a delicious vinaigrette. Had I known it was going to be a tasteless salad, I would have chosen something else to eat. My quinoa burger was delicious. And the chocolate mousse was very chocolately, and I only ate half and shared the remaining with the friendly folk next to me. Another family came in, and I recommended the crostillant that I was enjoying. It came with a side salad (again, no dressing), a timbale of pureed sweet potato, and I chose the mushroom sauce. I could have inhaled three of these deep-fried morsels. Very friendly service, I was well tended to, as I spoke French to the handsome waiter, and translated for other people in the restaurant.

Pros: good vegan choices, quinoa burger, yummy, friendly staff
Cons: no dressing for salads, slow to get food to table
Miggi
Miggi

Worth finding 4 good quality meal & great service

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2008

This is a lovely small restaurant. Having read other reviews we went looking for it armed with the address and a map and still nearly missed the narrow entrance. It is worth looking for, through, and a good stop-off if you're going to the Pompidou Centre.
The service was great, very friendly. They had English versions of the menu chalked onto their mini blackboards (there is a set menu and daily specials) and spoke good English too. They were happy to explain which dishes were vegan.
The food has a good range of French influenced and international with a fresh, good quality and home-made feel. There were loads of vegan options on the main menu and the specials board.
We tried a vegan "beef" in red wine stew, quinoa burger with a gorgeous creamy - yet vegan - mushroom sauce, and their vegan desserts were delicious, especially the chocolate tart. Freshly squeezed juices, vegan coffees are good. The Hot chocolate is excellent and everyone should try it!
It's not cheap - restaurant prices rather than cafe prices - we had a great meal for about £20-£25 each. But it is a relaxed good quality meal with good service.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Range of styles , Good quality
Cons: Hard to find, May feel cramped if busy
Ari
Ari

Great Little Place!

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2008

We only got to eat here once during our trip. They unfortunately were closed for renovations. This is a really cozy restaurant in a great neighborhood. The food is delicious. The quinoa burger is a must! Mushroom pate is scrumptious. Service was good... and they serve wine!

Pros: great food, cozy atmosphere, wine list
jrm212
jrm212

Tasty Veg Food

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2008

Our waiter was not at all friendly, and not well informed either because she said she looked at me like a weirdo when I asked for a side of brown rice (they did have it though because it came with someone else's entree). But a pleasant break from normal French food. Ate outside with a small group and had the lasagna special, delicious!

beavers
beavers

Bags of character - a fun experience

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2008

Smsll, intimate, welcoming, cosy - this quirky place just round the corner from the Pompidou filled up rapidly as we had our lunch, mostly with people who appeared to be regulars. I'd say there are 20 tables in there, slotted together to make a single long one so that the waitress has to pull one out to let the 'inside' person in. That can be a bit intimidating if you feel you want to get out to spend a penny! But it also adds to the character of the place and, unlike one earlier reviewer, I actually liked the communal feel when it had filled up. Food-wise, I can see why people should think this expensive, especially for a place which does not have the trappings of an expensive restaurant. But our (15 euro)lasagnas and salads were scrumptious, as was the fresh orange juice and coffee - the only real black mark being that some of the pieces of bread we were given were stale.

Pros: Atmosphere, tasty food, good choice
irlandaise
irlandaise

Cute place! Good food! Rude waitress...

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2008

My mom and I had a good experience at this cute little restaurant. The food was good (especially my moms moussaka) and the owner / boss of the place was SUPER sweet and accommodating. There were several vegan options as well. The waitress was rude though. Very condescending. We didn't have a reservation and she actually asked us "How long are you going to take to eat?" (A little weird.) But the atmosphere was relaxed and the decor was REALLY cute! Just be sure to get a reservation!

Pros: Vegan options, Cute & cozy atmosphere, Friendly owner
Cons: Rude waitress, Very small ("cozy"), Need a reservation
draeyk
draeyk

mixed

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2008

service was friendly. first time we went we had a seitan dish that was absolutely awful. the chocolate cake was also burnt.

second time we went the gratan was good so was the tart tartin (though not very authentic with wierd filo pastry base) and a foam that was utterly tasteless.

expensive, 23 euro for main and dessert.

Pros: friendly
Cons: bland food, expensive
missmai27
missmai27

great food

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2008

hey, been here twice, first visit it was by accident, second definitely planned! I love the food and my omni boyfriend does as well. Yes, its a little bit cramped but it's in paris, its meant to be that way! ; )

Pros: food, location
juliej
juliej

Bad!

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2008

I wouldnt ever eat here again. You are sat literaly right next to other people where as you may aswell be eating dinner with them. You cant have a private conversation.
The food is overpriced 9 euros for a soup is just too much. In the menu it didnt say what i ordered had mock meat in it. I dont like it and my dish was mostly that with hardly any veg.
Everytime someone opened the door to go to the toilet you could smell poo. This was very unpleasant when you are eating.

Cons: overpriced, smelly, menu not explained very well
  • irlandaise irlandaise

I agree the place was cramped, but I'm not sure how this person smelled pooh considering the restrooms were OUTSIDE and down the alley way with an out door entrance.

swt-rasums
swt-rasums

a vegan gem

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2008

I see that some people had issues with reservations. I just popped in around midday in the weekend, avoiding any lunch or dinner rush and it was quiet, with just over half the sets taken. Thirteen tables for two, so small enough. My bf had a main (large plate of food, I was glad to see) and I had a soup and dessert (8e) and the whole lot came to over 30 euro. Pricey indeed, but it's great to have such a large selection of vegan meals available. The waiter had good english and was welcoming and accepting of my unfamiliarity with restaurants and french :) my bf swore that my dessert was the best he'd ever tasted (tarte tatin with a cream like sauce). I would highly recommend it, but with high prices and few seats... you've been warned!

Pros: good selection of plates, cosy, rustic feel, frienfly staff
Cons: small premises, expensive
wombat
wombat

Good food, BAD service!

Posted on 04 / 20 / 2008

The food was great but I'm afraid I won't be going back because the service was truly appalling !
I had a scrumptious veggi 'tartiflette' (gratin with reblochon cheese) followed by a pretty good tarte tatin and my friend found her burger and crumble delicious too. BUT (and this is a big but!) after our desert the waiter asked if we wanted anything else - my friend asked if they do herbal teas and then came the stunning answer 'well, we do... but.... the problem is you haven't got much time left because there's a group coming and they need your table'. It's not as if we'd even taken much time. I've lived in Paris for more than 10 years and I find the 'grumpy waiter' culture kind of charming, but this really was over the limit. So we paid up promptly, having decided not to give a tip. When they didn't bring us our change (more than 20 % of the bill), this only confirmed our view that while the chef may be excellent, the waiting staff has not even a soupcon of professionalism!

KC2406
KC2406

A must for any vege in paris!

Posted on 03 / 22 / 2008

I loved this restuarant. I only went to three while in Paris and this was my favourite. It had a really cosy rustic feel. It is very small, there is about 10 tables crammed in. We went early about 6pm and we were the only ones there it slowly filled up and i noticed that there was a few tables reserved. The staff were really freindly, they spoke excellent English and were happy to speak it. There was plenty of choice with a mix of vege and vegan food. Everything sounded nice but we choose the burger, it came with a beetroot and carrot salad and mashed veg. You also had a choice of sauce and lots of bread. It wasnt the boring vege burger you usually get in Britain it was really tasty and full of flavour. It was a lot nicer than many meals ive had in restuarants back in Glasgow. My freind is a meat eater and she loved it too. The desserts were gorgeous too, I had a fondant au chocolat which came with a home made custard sauce. The bill came to around 54euros including service for the two of us. This place was a pleasant suprise, i didnt expect to find really good quality organic vege/vegan food in Paris. Tres bein!

Worth the visit......

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2008

While staying in the Marais for a few days, I stumbled across this place. The outside awning which is yellow, has written on it Macro-Biotique....which most veg places in Paris will; not all but most. I went around 2pm for lunch and had no problem getting a table accompanied by great service. A lot of great menu choices and the food is very good. At the table, they even provide you with a Vitamin B12 supply (Nutritional Yeast) to add to your food along with Celtic Sea Salt if you need it. The place is tight inside, but most cafes in Paris are like that.....that is one of the romantic things about Paris. Make a visit....you will appreciate it.

Pros: Good Food, Vitamin B12 at the table, Cozy
ProtonVehiCROSS
ProtonVehiCROSS

Crowded, a little bit bland, still worth the visit

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2008

My dinner was good but a little bit bland. The flavors just didn't seem to "pop" in anything I had. However, I will give this restaurant another try the next time I'm in Paris. Staff were friendly and ready to speak English if requested.

The restaurant is located in a great area of town that's busy with plenty to do. Check out this place after a trip to the nearby Pompidou Centre. Due to the limited seating space, it's probably best to dine very late or very early, or be prepared to wait a while.

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Friendly staff
Cons: Crowded, Noisy
vegfriend
vegfriend
  • non-vegetarian

Great food but couldn't go back!

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2008

Arrived at opening time so service prompt and efficient - food was good although not cheap - veg paella and a tasty cassoulet. Even a vegan apple tart. Would have returned but my very beautiful veg/non dairy friend was hassled so much for a date by the persistent waiter that we dare not go back. It spoiled the evening and made us feel very uncomfortable. Not a place we could recommend for unaccompanied females - even in their late 40s!

Pros: good choice, wholesome
Cons: seating cramped, hassle from waiter
smartheidi
smartheidi

Excellent little restaurant!

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2008

We stayed for two nights in Paris and went here for dinner twice. Had we been there longer we would have gone back every night as we wanted to try everything on the menu!
The staff are really friendly and speak excellent English. The food is reasonably priced and the atmosphere is really homely and intimate. I would whole-heartedly recommend this restaurant to anyone, and look forward to going back on my next visit to Paris.
One thing i would say is, keep your eyes peeled. It's tiny and very easy to walk past without noticing!

Pros: Excellent food, Very friendly staff, Great choice
PlanetEarth
PlanetEarth

Good food!

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2008

Tiny place. Fun! Good food. Good price for Parisian standards. Recommended! Good localization. Definitely unique.

Pros: Small., Tasty, French
Cons: Small.
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

This is a 5 star experience VEGAN HEAVEN IN PARIS

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2007

You should come to Paris just to eat here. YOU MUST GET A RESERVATION. They do traditional French Cuisine vegan style. Its a small place where they pull the table out to let you get in, so supersized Americans should skip this place so we don't have to read your complaints! I am so happy for this place. I read about it in VegNews and brought the article in to show the chef. A vegan in Paris is defined by your visit to this restaurant and it deserves 5 stars all around. The food (seitan a la creme) will leave you yearning to return for the rest of your life. The ability to dine like the French while vegan is priceless. GO HERE. Get a reservation. Show up on time. Enjoy!

Pros: Traditional French vegan food, staff, ambience
jennybe
jennybe

not again

Posted on 11 / 29 / 2007

We were so excited to get seated, and then we watched as natives got served with much higher service than we did. We speak french, but they seemed uninterested in our enjoyment. The onion soup was terrific, though. My entree was totally burnt on the bottom, and we had to ask for everything from napkins to bread. Maybe just a bad night for our waitress, but, unfortunately, it was our only night in our lives to eat there, so we were bummed. Not worth the large price tag, either. Would not go back, sorry.

Pros: nice decor, good location, great onion soup
Cons: terrible service , very high prices, burnt food
supervegan
supervegan

Very nice!

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2007

I arrived at Le Potager soon after it opened, hoping to eat dinner. Luckily, they were able to squeeze me in before the dinnertime rush. Unless you go really early, definitely make reservations here so as not to be disappointed! This place is tiny! I had a lovely soup and dessert here, but wasn't crazy about my entree. Still, it was a very nice experience.

Pros: english-friendly, vegan dishes marked
Cons: simple food
Pabs
Pabs

Good but not great

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2007

If you want to get a nice but nothing extraordinary this place is great, a little cramped, but still any place that has Vegan/Vegetarian food is a plus.

msmayz
msmayz

Favorite restaurant in Paris

Posted on 10 / 20 / 2007

I freaking love this restaurant. As a student in Paris, I went here every chance I could. The staff is so friendly and the food is absolutely amazing. I've had almost everything on the menu and my tastebuds shouted with joy every time. The restaurant is very small, with just one row of adjacent tables; you'll be sitting practically on top of your neighbors, but you're in Paris, and no one really cares. Le Potager is just a stone's throw from the Pompidou, so go there for the morning or afternoon, and then eat here when you're done. Take métro line 11 (the dark brown line on the map) to Rambuteau.

Pros: lots of vegan options, amazing flavors, cheerful staff
Cons: if only the restaurant were bigger!
geekster
geekster

Excellent place

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2007

My wife and I had the opportunity to try this place for dinner. We reached around 8 pm and there was just one table available. So we squeezed in there. This palce is really tiny and so you are practically seated rubbing shoulders with others !
The food choices are really good with lots of options.
My wife went for the day's special of lasagne and a desert of choc mousse.
I had a starter of aubergine caviar and a main course of risotto.
The main courses were delicious and good portions. The aubergine caviar was served with bread and delicious.
A very good gastronomic experience this one and highly recommended. Expect a bill of around 50 Euros with a couple of glasses of wine.
Waitress speaks good English and is very polite and always smiling.

MandyR
MandyR

Delicious!!!

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2007

Excellent food, clearly marked vegan options, very nice service, waitress spoke some English, very small, NEED reservation. The food itself was very innovative and unique. They even had vegan desert options (major pro in my view).

GAJ
GAJ

Vive la difference!

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2007

This place is obviously quite popular with locals and there was quite a mix of Parisians and tourists, most of whom seemed to have aimed to be there rather than having discovered it by chance. My regards to the reviewer who did find this by chance and put it on this site, as we were led there by a Happy Cow review. We were impressed by the imaginative menu and found the portions to be generous. Everything was freshly prepared and there was lots of evidence of fresh seasonal ingredients. The prices were quite reasonable, especially bearing in mind this is the middle of Paris. Also, they spoke English with a smile, which is priceless, and also allowed us to practice our French. Very busy on Sunday lunchtime, make sure you book.

Pros: Friendly, Imaginitive menu, Fresh & seasonal
Cons: Very cosy

disappointing!

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2007

I am sorry, this place had very expensive prices for just average food, enough said. Richard

cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Good, French, Expensive

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2007

We had a good experience here, however it was because we knew what we were getting into. The place is very small so make reservations. The food was delicious, it was french, but was quite expensive. The portions were medium-small sized. It is definitely a place to go when you are trying to be fancy and don't want to eat too much (like a date). I speak french (well-enough) but my partner doesn't, we had no problems at all with language or politeness. The service was great.

Pros: delicious, french
Cons: small, shared tables, small portions, expensive
mshah1025
mshah1025

Good restaurant with a great location

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2007

This is a nice, small vegetarian restaurant. The 20 EUR menu option is a pretty good deal, although you cannot use it with any of the specials. The staff is nice, but the space can get crowded. Its location right by the Pompidou center is great. The food itself is very good, but not great.

Pros: Location, helpful, menu option
Cons: Small

Vegan meals

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2007

I am a Vegan and had a good meal here. I had confidence in them that I would get a true Vegan meal and I did. They speak English, so it made it very easy to order my meal. The menu is in French and English.

Pros: Vegan meals
Cons: Small restaurant
Saddler
Saddler

Vegan friendly

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2007

My wife, who is vegan, and I visited the restaurant on a Friday night in June. We had booked for 7:30, and they were turning people away by 8pm, so booking is advised. The menu, and the people, are very vegan friendly and there is a good selection of food. The place itself is very narrow, which leads to some furniture rearrantgement whenever anyone wants to come in or get out, but that sort of adds to the charm of the place. We spoke French to the staff who repled in very clear French. I think they could speak English too. The menu had both languages. The food itelf was fine although not inspiring. Despite their reputation for food, The French do not do vegetarian food too well. But it was pleasant enough and, if you are staying in Paris for more than a day, I would certainly go there

Pros: Vegan friendly, Choice, Friendly staff
Cons: Small

Our Paris favourite

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2007

The set menu for 20 euros is good value, with half a dozen choices in each of three courses. The range of food is good for a group - we were four, and all had different things on our plates. Negotiate your vegetables - there is a range in the kitchen and you don't have to have the ones you don't like. The staff are friendly and professional.
It's open all day, and on Sunday, so you can have a late lunch or an early evening meal, but you'll hear a lot of English spoken then as the locals don't arrive until after 9. It also means you can go by earlier and book a table for later - essential at the weekend.
We ate more cheaply round the corner at Piccolo Teatro, but we didn't eat as well.

Pros: choice on set menu, delicious desserts, something for everyone
Cons: can be cramped
Annelies
Annelies

Good food

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2007

We had diner here, and it was very good. The place is small, but everything in Paris is. The gratin was nice. My boyfriend had ravioli, that wasn't so special. The chocolatemousse is really great. Its a little bit expensive though, but again: everything in Paris is!

How to get there: go to metro station Rambuteau, you see Rue Rambuteau from the exit. Its on your left after 50 meters. Easy!

Pros: Nice staff, Good food, Easy to find
onejamie
onejamie

Highly Recommended

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2007

We ate dinner here in March 2007. Of the vegetarian restaurants that we visited in Paris, this was the best for flavour, atmosphere, and value! If you only visit 1 vege restaurant, try this one.

Our waitress said that she did not speak English, but her English was better than our French. Communication was not a problem.

Highly reccomended. Book ahead (there were people turned away on the night we visited).

Pros: Great Flavour, Good Value, Quirky Atmosphere
Cons: Ummm... no views?
button
button

A great experience!

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2007

Super tiny little place - make sure to get reservations! The food was excellent and the staff is sweet as could be! Though small it has a really cozy atmosphere.

Pros: Excellent food, Lot's of vegan options, Wonderful staff
Cons: small, tiny, little room
MrFalafel
MrFalafel

Good things come in small packages

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2007

Menu in French and English and organic wines available. Food was very good and original. However, small restaurant means tables are literally crammed together and you need to move the table out of the way to get up! My Hungarian tofu goulasch with quinoa and porcini mushrooms was excellent. Lovely friendly service and the place is very popular at night. We were lucky to get a table even on a quiet January tuesday night! Book ahead.

Pros: Top quality food, Excellent location
Cons: Small restaurant, Frequently booked solid
Marco
Marco
  • non-vegetarian

A lot of satisfaction in very little space

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2007

When we are in the Marais district, we often go to Le Potager. It is a small place but they serve great meals, all day (which is great if you don't like to have dinner late). Last time I had a wonderful Chile sin Carne. We were served by a very nice english speaking knowledgeable waitress, a vegetarian herself.

Pros: opening hours, great food, nice staff
Cons: little space
SarkeBeeley
SarkeBeeley

Small but perfectly formed

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2006

We were quite lucky as we found ourselves here when it was pretty much empty. Must've been the time of year (December) and the fact that it was late afternoon when we found it. It wouldn't be the best place to go for a romantic meal due to the tables set out in one long row. Our waiter spoke quite good english which was helpful and the food was pretty nice. It may be a little hit and miss though as I seemed to pick the nice choices and my boyfriend ended up with food that wasn't quite so nice. In all it's definately worth a visit even though it's a little pricey for the quality of food.

Pros: Good vegan options, Filling meals
Cons: Strange layout, Little pricey
Serendipity
Serendipity

Interesting layout, but good food...

Posted on 11 / 23 / 2006

By the time we got to the restaurant, it was full and we were promised a table within 15 minutes, even though we hadn't reserved. When we returned after walking around the Pompidou area, we were happily seated between French locals and were quite ready to experience our first vegetarian Parisian meal. The very busy waitress was quite charming and patiently went through the options with us, and we settled on Broccoli soup, French Onion soup, and a salad for starters. Main courses were spinach lasagne and a leek pancake, followed by a very rich chocolate mousse and absolutely heavenly cheesecake. While not the tastiest or most superb meal ever eaten, the food was pleasant and had we not been keen on trying the other veggie restaurants in Paris, we probably would have come back again. They also make fresh fruit/ veg cocktails, and overall, it's well worth a visit.

Pros: Nice variety of dishes, Friendly staff, Good location
Cons: Used frozen spinach :-(
ninn
ninn

2 nice evenings in paris

Posted on 09 / 07 / 2006

Great Location - nice bars around Marias for pre dinner drinks and classic French Fashion Show walking past. Lovely Restaraunt with very nice atmosphere - went two evenings and staff both nights very friendly and helpful - specially if practicing your French!. Food average 1970s style veggie and vegan. Portions quite small - style of Food seems to be general 'French' problem with Veggie/Vegan food. Enjoyed both evenings though! Full of Americans and some English and the odd french couple. MAKE SURE YOU BOOK ITS SMALL.

Pros: nice atmosphere, nice staff, nice location
Cons: bland food
Miru
Miru

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2006

Tied with La Victiore Supreme du Couer for favorite restaurant I tried in Paris. Great food, very friendly staff, big portions. It does fill up fast. I went early and snagged a table before the crowds showed up.

Pros: Excellent food, Very nice staff
Poundie
Poundie

Top notch

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2006

The food was absolutely great in every way. The service was a bit slow--not surprising, since the place was packed to the brink with only one overworked waitress on hand.

Pros: Great food, healthy
Cons: crowded, slow service
MBermingham
MBermingham

Cosy, tasty and friendly

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2006

I went to this restaurant over the Easter Bank Holiday with my girlfriend who is vegan. We picked it in advance of going to Paris and I booked it from the Uk. I am glad we did as it was very small and extremely busy! We were half an hour late so I phone ahead and in appalling Franglish apologised, they were very understanding and friendly. The food was 100% vegetarian with plenty of vegan options, I had a lovely goat's-cheese lasagne and my girlfriend had what she said was a great mushroom pie. Everything was fresh and full of flavour, and the bill was surprisingly low. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Great staff, Tasty Food, Good Value
Cons: Small, Need to book in advance

Dear Owner and Manager of Le Potager du Marais: