Le Pain Quotidien - Galeri...

Serves meat, veg options available. Situated within the famous "Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert", 5 minutes walk from Brussels Central station. International restaurant chain featuring organic artisan bakery and communal table. Menu includes several ovo-lacto vegetarian dishes and a few vegan ones plus a vegan muffin. Many locations in Belgium. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Bakery, Non-veg

Amy1274
Amy1274

Quick service, limited choice

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2014

This is the larger Le Pain Quotidien in the centre; the upstairs is huge, with classical music playing in the background, and very speedy service. Many of the staff speak fluent French, Flemish and English, and in any case, the menu prevents communication problems by marking vegan and vegetarian items. To be honest, more vegan options would be nice – there were no vegan specials or desserts on the day I went – but my soup was delicious and with two types of bread and croutons that come with it, even the small portion was very filling. There is also a vegan salad on the menu, as well as rice-milk porridge on the breakfast menu until 12. I had the problem that the wifi didn't work – nobody could explain why – which was annoying but would not stop me going back. On the other hand, there are fully-vegetarian places in Brussels that I would make a higher priority.

Pros: size, labelling, service
Cons: limited choice for vegans
Gudrun
Gudrun

A pity...

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2014

I was really happy when I discovered this branch of "Le Pain Quotidien". LPQ has saved me in other non-veg friendly places many times - and Brussels is clearly one of those.

This branch is situated within the famous, beautiful and busy 19th-century shopping arcade "Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert" / "Koninklijke Sint-Hubertusgalerijen" very close to the Central Station. As usually, the menu has a couple of items clearly marked as "vegan".

I was served by a lady taking the order and a guy bringing the food. I ordered a vegan dish with salad, dips and bread and a soy cappuccino. When ordering I stressed out that I am a vegan and verified that the food was vegan. The guy brought me the food, and I asked what the white sauce on the salad was. He checked and said there was egg in it, and that he was sorry. He was very friendly. I then got an extra side salad with olive oil. The food was quite good and fresh, the bread excellent.

I started to drink the soy cappuccino but I felt it tasked pretty milky. It did not help that it looked exactly like the regular cappuccino on the table next to me, and on my voucher it just said "cappuccino". When the lady who took the order passed by I asked if this was really soy cappuccino, and she asked back: "What did you order?". I replied "Soy cappuccino". In a very unfriendly way she said: "If you ordered soy cappuccino, then you got soy cappuccino". I decided not to finish the cappuccino.

This is really a pity because the place is meant to be vegan-friendly. Unfortunately this does not seem to have been communicated to the entire staff.

Pros: vegan labels, fresh food, partially friendly staff
Cons: cannot trust the tabels, partially very unfriendly staff, partially veg-unfriendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Le Pain Quotidien - Galerie de la Reine: