Le Grenier de Notre Dame

Serving vegetarian versions of French peasant food. Has vegetarian paella. Nice atmosphere, English spoken. Prices moderate to expensive. Not handicap accessible. Located in the 5ème arrondissement near metro: Saint Michel. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Macrobiotic, French, Beer/Wine
18 Rue de la Bucherie
Paris, France 75005

Mon-Sun 12:00pm-2:30pm, 7:00pm-11:00pm

First Review by Poundie
JonJon
JonJon

Beautiful fresh juices but expensive

3 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

This restaurant is the older vegetarian restaurant of Paris. And it seems to have remained in 1978... Main dishes are not bad and relatively well presented but they have not a crazy taste and remain relatively basic. Moreover, there are relatively few vegan options. However, what is excellent is their fresh juices! I love them and will return here only for them. They are huge and beautifully served, a savant mix of fruits and vegetables. Desserts are also good and the place is small but very nice and well located. However, the whole experience is a bit expensive for a not innovative food.

Pros: amazing fresh juices, organic, location, friendly staff, very nice place
Cons: expensive, basic and few vegan food
Richme
Richme

Boring and tasteless.

2 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2014

The vegan dish we had were boring. Not bad, just nothing we'd eat again. The apple pie was disgusting. Dry, tasteless, oily in some parts.. tasted like something they took from the freezer and heated in a microwave. I told the waiter about this, and he got offended and said "well it's vegan". Ok? I've had many vegan pies in my days and they can be tasty too. Remember this is a vegetarian restaurant, not vegan..

vikavegan
vikavegan

One of my faves in Paris

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2014

Classical French restaurant; have vegan options. I really love this place. Nice romantic atmosphere, friendly staff. It's a bit pricey, but the visit is worth it.

Pros: French vegan cuisine, classical, good location
Cons: pricey

Pamy
Pamy

good portion

4 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2014

i like this place. food is nice, filling and quality is consistent. it s organic. service is good. i went many times and i have zero complaint to make about anything.
just a main for lunch is enough to fill you up. you need to be seated upstairs.

Pros: organic, filling portions, location - notre dame/st michel
Cons: downstairs not welcoming
Arkin
Arkin
  • herbivore

Nice food

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

Food and drinks were nice. The waiter seemed a bit rude but after asking some questions about the food he was actually very nice.

As I know from experience that there are people who get offended very easily, I'm not one of them. Having said that...

I liked the shakes, very tasty. We had entre's because we weren't that hungry. Food was good and nice, no complaints. It was also quite busy, go and try it.

Pros: Nice shakes, Nice food, In the centre
Cons: Small chairs, I like to sit comfortable., have big toes? Waiters wears size 12 shoes
Sonia Silva
Sonia Silva

Strongly NOT recommended

2 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2013

Firstly, I would like to say that I would give a "0" in the classification if I could, but apparently a veg restaurant has to have 2 as a minimum. Why?
The food of this restaurant is the so called lazy food, with very weak flavour and not with many diversity of vegan dishes.
This last thursday, 7th november, I went there to have dinner (because I hardly know other veg restaurant is Paris), and the simply mixed up the whole reservation and said they did not have a table for us. The responsible was very rude, and have verbally and in written answered with heavy injuries to my complaint. He also came after me and my friend at the street with a threatening attitude. Of course I do not recommend it at all, unless you wish to use your money to fund poor food and even worse (and agressive) service!

Pros: Nothing
Cons: Awful service, Bad food
Ellay
Ellay

Nice but beware if you're vegan!

3 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

Small 2-floor restaurant located in a quiet street nearby the touristic district of Notre Dame. The setting is relaxing with lots of plants, a bit like a jungle. We were nicely welcomed. There is a soft music in the background (opera, accordion, classical).
The menu is well made with pictures of the dishes. It says if it's vegan or not.
The couscous was nice, with lots of flavor but the seitan brochette was a little burned.
Then I ordered the only vegan dessert, which is the tart of the day, on that day it was an apple pie. They forgot to tell me there was cinnamon with it, which I don't like much. And sadly it came with chantilly cream (dairy)!!! I was really disappointed by that and wondered if they do understand finally what vegan means. I did say I was vegan at the beginning of our dinner but the waiter confirmed me that when it says vegan on the menu, it is vegan. No need to ask for it...
We waited quite a while for each of our dishes.
I would come back in this restaurant but only for the main dish (no dessert) and I will definitely double check it is vegan, even if it says so.

Pros: Organic, Vegan written on the menu, Good value for main dishes
Cons: Waiting time, Vegan dessert not really vegan, Expensive dessert
Mademoisella
Mademoisella

Wonderful nice restaurant in the heart of Paris!

4 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2013

One of the best restaurants in Paris. Many vegan options available (says "vegan" on the menu). What we ordered was very yummy although a bit expensive. The waiter spoke English as well. It was very much in the center of Paris, where it's hard to find vegan/vegetarian food and therefore unfortunately a bit expensive (but definitely worth a try!) I loved their Provencal tofu! I would recommend this place.

Pros: easy to reach , fast service, very yummy food (portions right size)
Cons: expencive food
Tiggy
Tiggy

Great atmosphere and fantastic salads, but...

3 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

I love the setup of this place: the building is great, with a cool spiral staircase up to the second floor. I've been here twice over the last couple of weeks. The staff were attentive and explained the menu, on which vegan options were generally clearly marked anyway. On our first visit I ordered one of the vegan mains called Le Speciale Proteine. This was a decent sized meal, but unfortunately it was just not that full of flavour. There was a sense of a lot of different (largely proteiny) things put on a plate, such as beans, potato and soy protein, but not really working together. My partner ordered the spaghetti (with non-vegan cheese, but this can be left out) and said it was OK. The prices were fine for the generous portion size but not the quality. We went back a second time and this time ordered a starter of falafel and a salad. Both of these were absolutely delicious, and although we hadn't realised the salads were meal-sized, I would say based on my experience that they are the strength of this place. Unfortunately our mains - my partner's plat and my vegan cassoulet - were as disappointing as my first main had been, lacking flavour and texture. However, I definitely would come back here and order salads as my main in the future.

Pros: Delicious salads, Helpful staff, Great atmosphere
Cons: Mains not very good
VerenaBadofszky
VerenaBadofszky

LOVE IT

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2013

I haven't really tried anything else but the couscous but that's enough of an excuse to go there when I'm in Paris. It tastes SO good! The place is nice, well decorated, and it has a nice familiar feeling. The dishes are very generous, and satisfying. The only con is the fact that the staff doesn't speak much english and when we ordered a tea, he thought we meant 2 and when we asked to take back he seemed a little mad? And there is only one vegan desert with is quite disappointing since we don't eat dairy. Prices are ok. 5/5

Pros: Tasty, Looks Nice, Price is not exaggerated
Cons: No English Speaking, Only one vegan desert
Sarayna
Sarayna

Lovely

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

Nice little restaurant in a very cute area. Tasty food, good service. A little expensive, at 18 euros a main dish, but would go there again as it was lovely.

Pros: Good service, Tasty, Good atmosphere/not rushed
Cons: Expensive
Sphynxdani
Sphynxdani

Fantastic

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2013

Wonderful staff, gorgeous food and a cosy place to enjoy Paris in. I loved this restaurant and they staff was wonderful. My favorite dish is the vegan couscous, it is exquisite. I highly recommend this superb and homely place. The dishes are big, could be a great thing for some and everything has a homemade feel to it and welcoming atmosphere. The staff speak english and are very friendly and cool. It's in a great location and the deco of the place is great. What I liked most is that there are more vegan dishes than vegetarian so I was spoilt for choice and the wine was amazing!! Highly recommend this fancy yet inexpensive place.

Pros: Wine, Food, Staff
pixi42
pixi42

Not Very Innovative

2 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2013

Same menu for years.
Good food but not very tasty

Pros: Location, Service
Cons: Always Same Food
SoniaS
SoniaS

The dessert and the wine was tastier than the food

4 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

Me and my boyfriend went to lots of vegan/vegetarian places in Paris and tried out different things after searching through Happy Cow. If you've been to veggie places in Paris before, you might know that most places don't really have that restaurant feel to them. They are usually hidden and a lot of times they don't even have a decent sign outside so you have to go inside to see if you're at the right place. This place is NOT like that.

I actually don't know what the restaurant is like on the inside, because as soon as we noticed that we could sit outdoors we sat down there. It's a really nice and cozy atmosphere outside, it's not just an alleyway like most veggie restaurants in Paris. It was super easy to find as well, and it's very close to Notre Dame. You can take a nice walk along Seine after dining like we did, it was beautiful!

They had a pretty big menu with things like pasta with cream sauce, different mixed assiettes with salads, tofu, avocado etc. I didn't find this menu super creative, it's not like I tried something new or anything, but I still had a lot to choose from so that was good. It tasted good, too, so I can't complain on the food really. I guess it's just a preference thing, I'm more into different hot plates and this place felt more like a salad/mixed assiette kind of place.

BUT we had the most delicious wine we've EVER tasted here, so that was a huuuge plus! It's called "Le p'tit roubié". If you go there and if you like red wine. make sure to order that one! It was AMAZING! We also found that the desserts were a lot better than the main courses. They were actually reaaaally delicious, something we did not expect. I mean, of course, dessert is always tasty, but we didn't think that they would be so much better than the main courses. They blew our minds away! (or maybe it was just the wine, hehehe.... no but really, they were great!). I had chocolate mousse and my boyfriend had Tarte Tatin. He said it was the best apple dessert he'd ever tried before and I have to say my chocolate mousse was so creamy and chocolaty that I didn't want it to end!

Overall it was a really nice restaurant experience. I enjoyed the wine and the dessert more than the food itself, but if you're not looking for a gourmet meal with lots of warm options then this is a good place. It was a very healthy menu too, and the prices were average. I really recommend going here in the spring/summer and sitting outside!

Pros: Delicious desserts and wine, Big menu with lots of options, Cozy outdoor seating
Cons: Not a lot of warm/hearty food
swade
swade

Excellent, reliable place

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

I love this place. Been there many times over the years and it's always great. Reasonable balanced menu with lots of choices (English translations as part of menu). Very friendly staff, central location. Quite nice and romantic if you go upstairs as well - we had a little seat next to the window overlooking the street, which is quite pretty. For a central Paris restaurant I don't think the prices are too much at all.

Along with the Le Potager du Marais it's my favourite Veggie restaurant in Paris and on this trip (April 2013) still going strong. Of the two, this just shaded it for my girlfriend whereas I think Le Potager was just slightly ahead - mainly as the menu here was the same as it's been over the years and it'd be nice to see some variation. Both great though.

Pros: Intimate, Great food, Great staff
Cons: Menu could do with updating
kuuupo
kuuupo

Worth seeking out

4 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2013

This place took a little finding, but we were glad we made the effort. The restaurant was pleasingly busy midweek and had a nice atmosphere. I would describe the food as hearty and rustic, and it was just what we needed after a long day of sightseeing! Ordering was straightforward as the menu was also in English and well labelled. There was a good range of vegan dishes, and I enjoyed the miso, casserole and apple tart. My non-veg boyfriend particularly enjoyed his cheese tart.

I would definitely visit again when next in Paris.

Pros: Large portions, Tasty, Good range for vegans - had pudding too!
Cons: Not cheap (but not too expensive)
simgi
simgi

cute place, disappointing food

2 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

Cute little place, small tables, friendly staff. Reasonable prices, excellent wine, but rather tasteless food. It's all fresh, is presented OK, but lacks taste, creativity and fantasy. Food was served in an almost fastfood way, so not a place to enjoy a relaxed festive dinner.

Pros: cozy and small, friendly
Cons: flat taste, little creativity, served too fast
mmehart
mmehart

Great for a vegan and veg date night

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2013

My husband and I just went for a date night. I had all vegan and he (more of a flexitarian) was happy with his vegetarian fare. It was great!!! Clear menu and friendly staff.

Pros: great food, price
Cons: closes early
nardanddee
nardanddee

good but a little pricey

3 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2013

This place opens at 6:30 PM as opposed to 7. It is a cozy restaurant with nice enough staff. The food was good but nothing to write home about. Their vegan menu options are marked. However, do be careful as I did see one item marked vegan that contained honey (for you strict vegans out there). I had the cassoulet and the apple tart with a glass of wine. I believe it was 28 euros. Pricey, but not too bad. The hardest part is finding this place. Rue Bucherie is split by the square, and the restaurant is located on the part of the street that is directly across from Notre Dame on the left bank (not the part of the street near Rue Huechette).

Pros: variety, friendly staff
Cons: pricey, hard to find
michael504
michael504

the best restaurant we tried in Paris

5 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

My girlfriend and I had a two week vacation in Paris, and we tried several places listed on happycow. We liked this one the most. The food was great and seemed like it was the most genuinely french inspired vegan dishes we tried during our stay. We did not notice that the prices were too high-- in fact, they were quite reasonable, especially considering that the place focused on organic ingredients. By the end of the two weeks, we decided to come here again for a second meal (along with Le Potager du Marais which was a close second in our opinion). I recommend La Speciale Proteines and the Couscous Vegetarien. They were able to prepare the Proteines without the wheat for me since I'm allergic to gluten. The menu was not too specific about what was gluten-free and what was not, but they were very accommodating. The atmosphere was also very nice, cozy, quiet, and chill, and the server was very friendly. The menu was written in French AND English.

Pros: great vegan dishes, authentic French feel, not overpriced
Cons: gluten-free items weren't clearly listed
dkinjer
dkinjer

Great location, pleasant atmosphere - updated

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2012

Update July, 2012:
I reviewed this restaurant in June, 2011. We liked it then and this visit to Paris returned for a meal and a light bite, and enjoyed ourselves both times. The food is good, the atmosphere very pleasant, and the location is super. I upgraded my rating from Very Good to Excellent - we'd go back again, when in Paris again.
This is the earlier review
We only had a bit of time to grab a bite, so we had some soup, which was quite tasty. Vegan options are labeled, the staff (or owner - we don't know) was friendly and helpful. The rest of the menu looked appetizing and had we had more time, we would have been happy to order. The prices were a bit higher than some of the other veggie/vegan places we ate at in Paris.
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 25, 2011
Updated from previous review on Monday July 09, 2012

Pros: super location, friendly staff, good food
gonga
gonga

This place exists since 1978? Why?

2 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2012

Had a dinner there this week. What can I say about a place that serves raw tofu and tastless overcooked vegetables and calls it bt various fancy names? The plates contained an assortment of badly cooked seperate ingredients that lackes any flavour or taste or coherence with each other.
Tofu, in my book has to at least marinated and then roasted, cooked or fried.
The cook there has no clue whatsoever about cooking in general, vegetarian cooking in particular.
I'm vegan but my partner is not, so we had both types of dishes. Both were bad. And expensive.
I do recall eating in the same place 12 years ago, but perhaps back than it was not as bad. But this time - what a waste of time and money.
we tried 4 other vegetarian restaurants in Paris. None were outstanding but all were head and shoulders above this one.

Pros: None
Cons: Tasteless, bad cooking, expensive
Sawardja
Sawardja

Enjoyed this conveniently located restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2012

We stopped by this place for dinner one night while visiting Paris. As it's name implies, it is conveniently located near Notre Dame. We had a great meal--the cuisine was quite different from other vegan/vegetarian food I've had. We ate outdoors and oddly (or not?), the other 2 parties were also English speakers (England and US). I guess vegetarian food is not so popular among the locals. Definitely check this place out if you want to try some out-of-the-ordinary vegetarian (some vegan) fare.

Pros: excellent food, great location
Librahi
Librahi

My favorite in Paris

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2012

This place is right next to Notre Dame. It's a small place but I was blown away by my meal. It had tofu, seitan, and a tofu cake plus veggies and some other things. The tofu was one of the best I've had in my 8 years being vegan. That's saying a lot. It's a little pricey but well worth it. Can't say enough about how much I enjoyed my lunch.

Pros: Excellent Food, Very Friendly Staff, Location
Cons: Small Spaces/Tables
AnnFromIllinois
AnnFromIllinois

A hidden treasure

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2012

What a treat to find a restaurant in Paris that had vegan options! This place is a small two-story restuarant in the Latin Quarter very close to Notre Dame. The menu has vegan items clearly marked and a good variety of options. The server we had didn't know much about the food, but was willing to ask the chef questions. We were very happy with our meal and would go back. It's not fancy, but still makes for a very pleasant evening.

Pros: central location, lots of options, large portions
Cons: wait staff not knowlegable
RuthPennyFaith
RuthPennyFaith

Valentine dinner 2012

4 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2012

My husband, teenage son and I coincidentally booked for an evening meal on Valentine's day. We had a table at 6.30 p.m. and the restaurant fast filled up; it was beautifully decorated with rose petals. We enjoyed our meals (two cold platters and one white-bean cassoulet) and the bottle of red was lovely. We only had one dessert - again very good. The restaurant is small and cosy, the upstairs is reached by a narrow spiral staircase (toilet upstairs), so not easily accessible for some. Staff were very friendly and spoke English if needed. Portion sizes were fine for us, though the menu illustrations looked larger. All in all, we had a lovely evening. Our bill came to about 80 euros.

Pros: reasonable choice, friendly staff, pleasant atmosphere
Cons: bit cramped, upstairs not very accessible
FetchkaMafiosi
FetchkaMafiosi

A waste of money

2 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2012

I went to this restaurant with my boyfriend. We are both vegetarian and we like to cook (and eat, of course).
For one evening we didn't mind to go to a restaurant to have some food different from what we are used to have at home (and that was not indian or asiatic).

Le "grenier de notre dame" have been a pretty terrible choice.

The menu is embarassing.
There is almost no cooked dish.
All the main courses are just a *random assortment of vegetables, seitan and/or tofu.
The quality is just mediocre.
Quantity are small.
Prices are, of course, expensive.

For 56 euros we had:
1 assiette berbere * (random assortment of stuff -raw or cooked a few days before)
1 assiette proteines * (random assortment of stuff -raw or cooked a few days before)
1 bottle of wine (less than 15 euros - good price for Paris)
1 mousse au chocolat

No need for a restaurant to have this kind of food.

Amanda-JaneAnsell
Amanda-JaneAnsell

Ok but nothing special

3 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2011

My husband and I visited this restaurant during our stay in Paris in October 2011 after finding numerous reviews on the Internet. I am vegan and my husband is vegetarian.

This restaurant is ideally located, as the name suggests, very close to Notre Dame. As we had been sightseeing in this area it was the obvious choice for dinner. We didn't have any problems finding it but we were prepared and had a map printed out to guide us.

I was really excited when we first walked in as it looks like a proper restaurant as opposed to the many vegan/vegetarian restaurants that look and feel like glorified cafes. It's quite cosy especially downstairs.

The menu is in French and English and the waiters spoke good English too. The service was faultless.

Our research into vegan/vegetarian food in France prepared us for some disappointing culinary experiences and unfortunately this restaurant did nothing to change my opinion of vegan and vegetarian food in Paris.

Apparently we had miso soup to start but having had this in Japan whatever we were served was not traditional miso soup, it was a broth that was the wrong colour, wrong taste and had marinated tofu rather than plain silken tofu, none of which would have mattered had it had a flavour but it didn't. For mains we had spaghetti with garlic, herbs and cheese and the casserole. The spaghetti was served with some salad that was stale - the lettuce was bitter and the carrot was dried out. Both meals were tasty enough but nothing special and certainly not tasty or inventive enough to justify the price, you could describe them as a meal you might make when you're feeling a bit lazy and can't be bothered to make anything better so satisfying in that you're no longer hungry but disappointing in the flavour department. We had 1 starter, 2 mains, 2 drinks and that came to about 41 euros. As others have said the food isn't bad it's just not great and the price tag seems to be down to the food and drink being organic rather than the merit of the food. Being in the heart of Paris I would have loved a menu with an attempt at veganised/vegetarianised (ok I know these aren't real words!) French cuisine but the menu lacks a concept, it's just a mismash.

Whilst we were walking around the area I noticed lots of restaurants with at least 1 vegetarian dish on the menu at a far cheaper price so vegetarians you can eat elsewhere in this area if you want to!

Pros: Location, Interior/Atmosphere, Service
Cons: Price, Boring food
Olive
Olive

Good restaurant

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2011

I went there once, and really enjoyed it !

The food is tasty and fresh, the choice is quite large too.
The staff is nice, and it is ideally located for tourists (the center of Paris).

But it is so expensive !!!

Pros: good food, ideally located, nice staff
Cons: very expensive !!!
tsap
tsap

Just okay

3 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2011

Of the three vegetarian/vegan places we tried in Paris, this was the least memorable. The location is good when visiting the Latin Quarter. We arrived as the restaurant was opening so there were no crowds. Service was good. I rate the food as average based on the lack of sophisticated flavoring and mushy textures. The menu seems "tired" and lacks inspiration. Not bad, just not great.

teafour2
teafour2

Amazing food but a bit expensive

4 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2011

This tiny restaurant produces amazing food. We got a seat, but a few people were turned away, so it's probably best to book. We did struggle with speaking a bit of French, but the waiter's seemed reasonably happy to help us in English.

The food was really wholesome, full of flavour, really tasty. It was all vegetarian and as vegans we had a good selection to choose from (vegan food was clearly marked on the menu - the cassoulet was my favourite).

A few small complaints - it is a little expensive and when they're busy the speed of the service wasn't great. But with the quality of the food, we didn't mind too much.

Pros: flavoursome food, clearly marked menu
Cons: a bit expensive, slow service
Olympian Angel
Olympian Angel

A Left Bank Favourite

4 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2011

Spread over two floors it's a little cramped but has a lovely Parisian Left Bank feel to it. The menu is a vegan take on French cuisine with some interesting twists and surprises. As you'd expect in Paris it's not cheap, and portion sizes not large. However if you want a genuine Parisian dining experience midway between Notre Dame and St Michel in the heart of the Cafe Quarter then this is hard to beat.
Updated from previous review on Monday May 02, 2011

Pros: Good French Cuisine, nice ambience, great location
Cons: Not cheap, bit cramped, best book ahead
Vincent Vegan
Vincent Vegan

Budget Busting Boring Food

2 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2011

Le Grenier is located almost on the edge of the Left Bank just across the Seine from the famous cathedral, tucked down a small alley. I was expecting the hunchback to drop in for some table scraps at any moment. The service is great and the owner chef speaks enough English. And somehow they've been in business since 1978. That's about all the good I can say for the place.

I ate at Le Grenier twice in my first visit to Paris in April, 2011. On the first visit, I paid about 37 euros ($53) for a rather unexciting meal called "Proteins". My tongue, my stomach and my sense of nutrition were all disappointed. I was not starving when I departed but I certainly was not full. And at that price I can normally feed myself and a guest better than this at a vegetarian restaurant in America. The atmosphere is tiny and easily crowded at times. Vegan dishes are extremely limited in number, perhaps two or three.

A week later, I came back for a second try and was even more disappointed. I spent 25 euros (about 36 US dollars) for a meal of watery veggies, spread very thin over a wide plate, laid out artfully but with little regard for a real eating experience. The veggies were poorly spiced or not spiced at all and rather bland. I was determined to spend no more and opted for no dessert or other dishes. I could easily have eaten four times as much if I were flush with a lotto jackpot.

Granted, it probably takes a fortune to pay the rent at a prime location like this and I cannot blame the owner for trying to stay good with the landlord. But he would be well advised to actually feed his patrons on a filling level at these prices. And there's more to culinary art than making artistic displays of food without regard to that wholesome filling feeling we all need in our guts. These dishes are incredibly low on grains and just so boring you can get equal results from canned food. In fact, I have determined that the best way to eat for 20 to 25 euros per day in Paris Latin Quarter is to hit the Monoprix stores for veggies and whole grain bread and fresh mushrooms. Get soyburgers at Nature de Paris on Saint Germaine. Get fresh olives, bananas and other goodies at common stores.

Le Grenier would be better off serving high turnover low priced veg fast foods to go using their sidewalk window instead of trying to imitate the typical Parisian meat-fed bourgeoisie. No meat eater will get converted to vegetarianism by experiencing low density watery veggie-tofu dishes. C'est la vie!

Pros: Friendly, English spoken, Central location
Cons: Stingy portions, Way overpriced, Ltd Vegan options
chrisvolta
chrisvolta

Perfect Night

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2011

After a long day my girlfriend and I were both very tired, she was excessively so. Once we got here and ordered and had an amazing bottle of wine we both felt like a million bucks. We got the on a monday night at about 7pm and it filled up fast. I got the 3 course set meal and at 25 euros for a full veggie dinner with no worrying what we ordered and more importantly GREAT FOOD, I'll take it. Desserts were very good as well. Service was a bit slow in the side room, theres two rooms to this restaurant, so if you walk into one and see no staff dont freak. But it was pretty buzzy for a monday. All in all we are going to try to go again.

Pros: Good Food, Good Wine, Good Service
Cons: Get there EARLY
  • chrisvolta chrisvolta

sorry I got confused looking at so many different restaurants but this review is for Le Potager du Marais...we had a wonderful time there. We may try this place if we can. Again sorry.

SunFlowerChild
SunFlowerChild

Good

4 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2011

We enjoyed our meal though the toilets are up a winding staircase so not very accessible for the less-abled. Very easy to find and close to Notre Dame. Cramped dining room downstairs.

Pros: good choice, tasty food
Cons: expensive as all places are in Paris
tianchi-livi
tianchi-livi

Mixed impressions

4 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2010

I can understand why reviews are mixed. Opening hours are limited and there actually is not that much choice for vegans. Tofu seemed to be used as an alternative to meat rather than dairy but was cooked incredably well. The atmosphere was charming and the music ecclectic. Overall, I found it to be over priced. However, that is not to say that the food wasn't nice. It is obviously a specialist resturant that is popular with locals. Easy to find for a first time visiter to Paris and a step away from the busy meat district of Notre Dame. I would recommend if you are looking for a quaint, bohemian, romantic dinner after a long day wandering the city. However, it is not for those on a tight budget and there is not a lot of choice for Vegans.

Pros: charming, not touristy
Cons: not a lot of choice, expensive
NickNack1989
NickNack1989

Le Grenier De Notre Dame

4 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2010

After reading a few reviews on this site, I decided to investigate further when my long term girlfriend and I went on holiday to Paris (a few days ago).
We found it around about lunch time, after much searching (although it isn't actually that hard to find we just went to the wrong way. Paris can be difficult to navigate sometimes, especially in the cold). It seemed very busy, so we decided to go back there later on in time for dinner.
What I will say is that the food is very nice, but there isn't that much on offer for vegan diets (only a few dishes). I ate the Speciales Proteines (i think it was called). A nice selection of raw and cooked foods. It was very tasty and varied. However, the price is the sticking point, as my girlfriend and I discussed afterwards. For that price we expected slightly more in terms of the service side of things. It is steep, especially for what you get but as we were staying around about that area, it was the easiest place to get to. But overall I had a good impression of the place, theres a nice ambience (added to be the ecletic selection of music playing) and the decor is very pleasant. The next time I'm in Paris I will definitely go back.

Pros: Good Food, Good Ambience
Cons: Quite Expensive
dianec
dianec

Horrible,

1 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2010

The only good thing about this restaurant was it was near Notre Dame. Since it didn't open until 18:30 we went into Notre Dame and sat through a service. The menu selection was uninspiring. I had a seitan (fried hard) dish which was bland and the vegetables were boiled to mush. The salad on the side was drenched in a creamy dressing and being a vegan dared not eat it. While this restaurant may have been around since 1978 it needs to work on a more modern menu. Other than the location, there isn't much else to say about it.

Cons: bland food, overcooked
necropalice
necropalice

Perfect for a lone traveller.

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2010

I had lunch in Le Grenier de Notre Dame during April 2010. I was nervous to eat alone in Paris, and found the waiter to be incredibly kind. I had an autumn salad with tap water. It wasn't the cheapest salad, but the ingredients were quirky and flavoursome so I had no qualms with handing over my sixteen euros. The restaurant was really small, with condensation running down the door - a fact that I quite liked. It was cosy and bustling with smiling customers, and I found I rather enjoyed the experience.

Pros: great food, healthy options, friendly staff
Cons: cramped, expensive
ukraine
ukraine

bad food, no service and worst vine in my life

1 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2010

maybe it is because we came at 1Opm, but we had
1) no service (the young vaiter just throw the menu on the table, didn't propose anything, didn't ask if we are enjoying the meal... couldn't help with the vine or close the door because it was too cold for us and too hot for him)
2) casoulet was too sallty
3) lasagna didn't have any taste
4) and the vine (bordeaux) was the worst vine i had in my life!

P.S.
i've been to 5-6 vege restaurants in paris and this one is the worst one!

Pros: location, a lot of choise
Cons: food quality, vine quality, service quality
  • Sonia Silva Sonia Silva

Totally agree Vegman in France, I was totally irritated and surprised with the attitude of the manager, Antoine, as you can check out by my comment posted today. I only did not get to the police beacause I was with a friend and I prefered to rectify that really really awful moment. We all have our days, but threaten and start injuries asks for a reply - which I did.

• vegman in France vegman in France

After giving this resto several chances to get it right we stopped going there, especially as there is now far better and cheaper in Paris. This review mirrors what we experienced several times. How anyone can state that the salty food was a one time error.... ? What, so you are present everyday, surveying everyone's meal? Nonsense of course! Whether the food here is bland or not is completely subjective. The simple fact is that the standard of the cooking is very poor. Yes, over or undercooked vegetables. Yes, excessive (or even under)use of salt and certainly an amateurish use of herbs and spices. They simply can't cook here. It is entirely unacceptable to say "well, this or that dish is meant to be bland" I've never heard of any dining out experience where you would choose to eat bland food. Risible! Concerning the service, I am perfectly bilingual and the waiter and the owner have both been unfriendly, unhelpful (bordering on impolite) in both french and english. And don't dare return a dish complaining of the quality or lack of taste....... By the way, I am a vegan cook with 20 years experience of eating in Paris.

• delwinv delwinv

Amazingly, having lived in vegan heaven - San Francisco, and living now in Paris, I would have to say this is by far the best restaurant in Paris. If you had a salty casoulet, it was a one-time error. I have never been partial to the bordeaux, but wines do vary by bottle and year. I have never seen wait staff or the owner be rude, inattentive or anything but the most pleasant and helpful, even speaking great english to people who will not even try to speak another language themselves.

nigelangel
nigelangel

People must be mistaking this for another

4 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2010

Spent some time in Paris in summer '08 and this is the ONLY restaurant that my husband and I went back to. It was fantastic and the service was wonderfully friendly (hard to find anywhere in Paris). I don't understand the conflicting reviews on this site. The food was great! TWe had a sort of pot-pie (a gourmet kinda pot pie with yummy flakey crust) and some wonderful seitan and salads, I wish I could remember it all. I thought the wine list was quite nice, and I spent a few years in the industry. We sat in the lower main room and outside, which I would recommend.

The location is also fantastic. So close to many things to do and see.

I have had wonderful vegan meals in Rome, Florence, New York, LA, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Chicago and more.... and this is on my list of the most memorable restaurants ever.

What I appreciated the most was that it was not typical vegan fare. eg: it was not trying to find a greasy replacement for typical meat and taters dish or a flavorless raw veggie platter.... I also loved the atmosphere. Comfortable, welcoming and somewhat romantic.

I think it may have been hard to find, perhaps this is the reason for the confusing reviews. So, make sure you DO find the right place.

I would give a 5-star if i could.

Here is a short video review of the restaurant. http://www.geobeats.com/videoclips/france/paris/vegetarian-restaurant

Pros: high quality food, friendly service and atmosphere, location
Cons: hard to find the place?
Laura Hall
Laura Hall

Bland and uninteresting

1 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2010

This is the sort of restaurant that gives vegetarian food a bad name. The focus is clearly on health rather than flavour, lots of brown rice, overcooked vegetables, salads with no discernible purpose other than to bore you to death. I know it's Paris, and the location is good, but the food is actually quite expensive despite the poor quality. The wine was really poor, again considering we're in Paris. The staff were absolutely lovely, and we didn't have the heart to complain especially as a couple across from us were doing so very loudly! It's a busy spot, which amazed me, and you probably need to book on a weekend or at peak season. There are so many great options in Paris, don't waste your time or money here.

Pros: lovely staff, great location
Cons: food very poor, wine poor, overly expensive
  • delwinv delwinv

One of my best friends says this restaurant is bland too. BUT it is only one main dish that is (purposefully) bland - and I even told him not to get it. It seems people who are new vegetarian, non-vegetarian or believe the meat industry's insistance that we eat more protein find the food bland because they choose the protein plate. Go with the good food people. It's busy here because it is good food (and me coming from vegan heaven of San Francisco) and a great atmosphere.

vegan4theloveofitall
vegan4theloveofitall

A Gem of a Vegetarian/ Vegan Restaurant

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2010

I am here in Paris right now (March/April 2010). My husband (vegetarian )and I (vegan)have spent a month here this time. We have eaten at Le Grenier de Notre Dame seven times during this trip alone. (This is a lot of trips to a restaurant for us because we rent a furnished apartment when we come to Paris and I cook most of our meals.) We eat at this restaurant every time we come to Paris, as well as many others. We have come to Paris six times in the last nine years. The last time we were here (for three months, in 2007) we ate at this restaurant many times. When we read the notation that fish dishes were included in the menu, we scrutinized the menu as well as the specials boards at both of their restaurants. There is not one mention of fish anywhere. (Why would a restaurant serve fish dishes and not mention it on the menu or specials boards? Keeping dishes secret does not sound very cost-effective.) We have ordered just about every dish on the Le Grenier menu over the past 10 years. All are delicious, and they are served by friendly, polite and efficient servers. Wait time is kept to a minimum between ordering and the dishes arriving at your table. As for pricing - this is Paris --it is definitely not the most expensive vegetarian meal you will find in the city. Le Grenier de Notre Dame is also not the cheapest restaurant. If you don't mind eating your food while standing in the street, there is a great falafel place a block and a half away from Le Grenier . The falafel is tasty and it's very cheap. New York, as well as other large international cities all have equivalents in all price ranges. The decor was redone at Le Grenier in the spring of 2007 when we were here. It's not shabby, and it's not ultra-modern chic either. Neither my husband nor I know the owner or manager or any of the employees. We have no affiliation with any restaurant in Paris. As far as we can tell, Le Grenier de Notre Dame, and its smaller affiliate on Ile St.-Louis are completely vegetarian with a significant number of vegan options. The food is good and wholesome, and the service is well above average. We recommend it without any reservation. It deserves a 5-cow rating for an "excellent" vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly staff, good location
DonnaC
DonnaC

Great choice of food

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2010

Lovely restaurant with great choice of meals including a good choice for vegans. The food is very tasty, good size portions, not too expensive and set in a lovely area.

Pros: great food, great choice, Lovely restaurant
welithom-katagena
welithom-katagena

Tres bien

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

Il existe 2 grenier de notre dame: un sur l'ele saint louis et l'autre non loin pres de st michel! Personnel tres agréable, bonne cuisine!

error_911
error_911

Great Vegetarian, Vegan Friendly, Decent Prices

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2010

We visited the 'Grenier de Notre Dame' new year's eve 2009-2010 on our recent honeymoon/trip to Paris. Being vegetarians it was a bit difficult finding anything more than dairy, but the restaurant was a nice surprise in a very central location. We were staying in the north end of the 5th arrondissement, which was within a 10 minute walk to either of their locations (we visited the location on Rue des Deux Ponts, Isle Saint-Louis, 1st Arr.). The staff was very friendly and very accommodating (my wife does not like tofu and the chef was quick to replace the portion with seitan), and the food was great. We're used to the hippy-esque vegetarian/vegan restaurants of Montreal, and this was a nice take on French cuisine that was appreciated (instead of what we were used to). I had a plate of goat cheese salad, cauliflower souflee, and honey-baked apples that was good, though my wife's plate of a seitan steak, saffron-barley, layered zucchini/eggplant, and pumpkin stew was great (and VERY filling). Let me just say that the waiter smiled when he saw the plate - practically licked clean. Pricing was good for the portion sizes (approximately 20 Euro each, main-course only), and though we didn't have entrees or desert the selection looked very good, and again decently priced (for Paris that is). Would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting vegetarian in Paris, and reservations are recommended (as with most places in Paris anyhow). Enjoy!

Pros: Healthy/Balanced Dishes, Vegan Friendly
missmai27
missmai27

Terrible, don't go!

1 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2009

I have been to this one and their sister resto on Ile St Louis... both as bad as each other. I was expecting more as a lot of the reviews are positive but the food was way below par and in my opinion, it's veggie places liek this that give veggie food a bad name.
It's pretty impressive that in a veggie restaurant the veggies are overcooked, tasteless and slimy. Shouldn't hey at least get that right? I can't remember the name of the dish that I had but it tasted pretty much exactly the same as my friend's dish though we were having different menus.
Don't go, whether you live in Paris or you're just visiting... I'd far rather dine in Le Potager du Marais or at Bob's Kitchen.

Cons: tasteless, bad service, dirty
  • Sonia Silva Sonia Silva

Totally agree with Henley. Check out the review I have posted today. I have answered him badly also via e-mail, but it was simply fair after his injuries!

• delwinv delwinv

Strangely enough, Le Potager du Marais has the blandest food I have ever tasted anywhere in the world and I find the food at Le Grenier over the last 11 years (6 years living here) to be excellent, and the staff so incredibly friendly.

• ukraine ukraine

• Henley Henley

Hmm, I agree with your review. Vegetarian restaurants should do all they can to promote the veg lifestyle, and this restaurant is really a liability to vegetarians/vegans. I would be very embarrassed to take meat eaters to this place to showcase vegetarian dining. The rudeness of the staff is just unacceptable and unforgivable, and to be perfectly frank I think this place should be shut down.

Henley
Henley

Money for nothing.

2 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2009

Wow! Our most expensive dining experience in Paris, beating both Le Potager du Marais & La Victore Supreme du Couer.

Our dining experience started with falafel entree (that tasted strangely similar to my mother's tuna patties) and a couple of novelty overpriced beverages. For our main meals we had the macrobiotic plate and a tofu casserole. The macrobiotic plate consisted of overcooked tasteless vegetables, undercooked brown rice, canned tomato sauce, weird fried soy cakes and a mountain of plain soaked arame seaweed dumped in the middle of the plate. Nothing really seemed macrobiotic other than the idea of arranging these foods on a plate and labelling them as such. The casserole was much of the same nothingness arranged and named according to it's apparent likeness.

In conclusion, the dishes served to us were nothing more than the kind of food that a 12 year old kid with some good ideas could prepare in the family kitchen.

Pros: Location
Cons: Overpriced, Devitalised food, Uninspiring meals
  • delwinv delwinv

The two dishes you ordered are not the dishes to order. Agreed. They are bland. They are the ones I always advise against and for some reason everyone wants to order despite my advice. Why order this sort of thing if you don't want these flavours??? They are meant to be bland. Seriously? What would you expect? If I order boiled cabbage from an irish bar am I going to expect something with a lot of flavour?? DUH

roxxy23
roxxy23

Delicious!

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2009

I was there two years ago, so I can't recall specifically what I ate for dinner, but it was delicious. With all the wonderful things on the menu it was hard to decide. The restaurant was small, but friendly. It was hard to find because the street it's on seems to be only one block long, but it was fun searching (and around the corner we saw some work/graffiti by Space Invader, in case anyone is familiar). I can't wait to return to Paris to eat there again.

Pros: good menu, delicious food
veganwanderer
veganwanderer

kind of like a veggie t.g.i. friday's

3 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2009

the food, atmosphere and service were all fine - no real complaint, but nothing knocked my socks off. i'm a vegan traveling with a non-vegan spouse, and we visited here for dinner one night when it was "my turn" to pick a restaurant. we both had fine meals - and it was nice for me to have options of balanced meals on which to fill up. would i be a regular, no, simply because the food didn't match up to the price. also, while he can truly appreciate a good veg. restaurant, here my spouse enjoyed the bread most of all...

i'd only go back if, after trying a number of the other veg restaurant options in town, this place holds its own.

mnicola
mnicola

excellent choice!

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2009

We've dined here twice in august 09.
The place is small and the tables are all very close but the owners are very friendly and helpful and food is excellent.
Next time in Paris we're definitely going to come back.

hack_man
hack_man

In the Attic

4 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2009

Fabulous place a stone's throw away from Notre Dame. Wonderful cosy setting with a rustic feel. Our group sat upstairs reached by means of a steep spirally staircase (possibly like the steps in Notre Dame itself perhaps). The food choice is very good, and strong for vegans. The portions are big and with dishes such as seitan cutlet, cassoulets, and tofu steaks. If you are vegetarian or vegan this place is an absolute must and even if you aren't it's worth a bash rather than suffering the hussle and bussle of restaurants in the neighbouring area where food is a function rather than an experience.

Pros: location, choice
Carla Hahn-Hirsch
Carla Hahn-Hirsch

Favorite Restaurant in Paris

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2009

We found this great little restaurant after visiting Notre Dame. We had a wonderful lunch while sitting outside. My husband, two daughters (ages 9 and 11) and myself enjoyed a variety of Vegan dishes and beverages. The soup was one of our favorites!!! We were so pleased we can't wait to go back!!! Not cheep, but well worth it. Enjoy.

jrm212
jrm212

wow, what a gem!

4 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2009

first of all, the staff was super friendly! we ate outside, but great ambiance inside also, very clean. diverse menu, including beverages such as the fresh-squeezed veggie juice. not cheap, but fair value considering the quality. the berber plate was HUGE. and as another reviewer commented, the best part of this place is that you don't feel you're compromising your paris experience by eating vegetarian. it's right near notre dame but on a quiet side street, not too touristy at all. can't wait to go back and try more on the menu! (by the way, besides cheese, i didn't see any animal products on the menu, not sure what makes it non-vegetarian?)

Pros: friendly staff, tasty food, nice ambiance
Cons: bit pricey
goldie711
goldie711

My favorite restaurant in the world.

4 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2009

Le Grenier is my favorite restaurant in the world. The food can swing from excellent to mediocre but what I love about the restaurant is that it is a French restaurant first and a veg friendly restaurant second. When you visit Paris as a vegan, it is easy to feel that you are missing the oh so important food experience. Le Grenier always makes me feel as though I have had the food experience. It is clean, the staff is wonderful and ambiance is bistro like. I first visited in 1999 and have only seen it improve. They have a second location nearby that I have yet to visit. Earlier this month I had dinner there 3 of my 5 nights in the city.

Pros: food , ambiance, location
Cons: more vegan deserts
TAS
TAS

good but not great

3 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2009

I found the food here to be okay but not great, my soup was good but the tart was dried out and not very tasty

dwc840
dwc840

very good

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2009

the location is fantastic. you can't ask for anything better than a great meal in the shadows of notre dame - something that vegetarians can boast over carnivores in paris!
the food wasn't as brilliant as i was expecting, though that may have been more about the fantastic meal we had the previous night.
english isn't brilliant there, so if you aren't comfortable with ordering in french it may get a little tedious, but the menu is bilingual.
the food is a little more basic than the top places and the flavours were more run of the mill, but still a very good meal and a brilliant experience.
not sure what makes it non-vegetarian...looked pretty 100% veggie to me

Pros: location, food, atmosphere
Cons: price
Greysocialist
Greysocialist

Good location, good menu, good value

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2009

Good value set menu for central Paris, 17.50 euros, with lots of choices, and a couple of delicious specials of the day. Organic wines were much cheaper than at our other favourite, Le Potager du Marais.

The location close to the Seine is great, but the place is too small downstairs, with a spiral stair to the upper floor, which we couldn't manage. So next time we'll book and ask for a table downstairs. I don't know where the toilets are, but I think they need the ability to manage stairs.

Pros: tasty, good value, good price wines
Cons: poor disability access, cramped
skybirdie
skybirdie

A great find

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2009

Happened to be passing on our last evening and found this place yards from our hotel! It had plenty of seating upstairs, we had a very friendly waitor who was happy to explain things on the menu we weren't sure about. The homemade soup was delicious, and the sietan steak main course was very filling and tasty. The spaghetti main came up huge which my daughter struggled to finish. But we made room for pudding, which was the best we'd had from the veggy restaurants we'd visited in paris. With wine and beer it came to about €30-35 each which I thought was reasonable considering a) location right near Notre Dame, b) portion sizes c) its paris! Consider the same factors in another capital city and you realize it was a bargain. Would highly recommend.

Pros: portions large, friendly staff, varied menu
Isaure
Isaure

Don't go

1 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2008

First of all, please excuse my broken English. I am a French person and I feel obliged to warn you against that place. I myself had dinner at that restaurant and had a bad experience. The freshness of the vegetables in my lasagna was questionable, the dessert was taseless, the toilets were dirty. The owners of the "Grenier" don't care about their customers, for they know that most of them are foreign tourists who won't come back to their place anyway. I absolutely do not recommend that restaurant. If you're a vegetarian, there are plenty of other options, near the rue Mouffetard in the same district, you have "Les 5 saveurs d'Anada". If you're near the Louvre, you may try "La Victoire Suprême du Coeur", which has become a bit pricey, but you will have a good experience. If you're a vegan, you may go to "Saveur Veget'halles", which is near the Louvre, it's the only vegan restaurant in Paris. Those restaurants have web sites if you need more information. Voilà! And enjoy your trip to Paris!

Cons: Bad Food, Bad Service
SIR
SIR

A Wonderful Restaurant

4 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2008

We visited on the 30th anniversary of this restaurant. There was no problem at all in selecting vegan dishes. The menu detailed the ingredients of the choices in both French and English and indicated whether the item was vegetarian or vegan. Next to each item there was also a photograph of the dish concerned, which was helpful. But, be warned: the servings are much bigger than they appear in the photographs. We visited this restaurant twice: for an evening meal and for lunch the following day. On both occasions the food was excellent, the service helpful and the cost reasonable. We were very worried that we would not be able to find a decent vegan restaurant in Paris, but Le Grenier de Notre Dame was a fantastic find.

Pros: Excellent food, good value, friendly service
Cons: small room (seats 12), only open for lunch and dinner

Nice place - great food.

4 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2008

I wasn't sure what to expect when checking this place out. The reviews here at Happy Cow are diverse. Personally, I've had some top quality vegetarian food, and I thought this place was great. The service was really nice and helpful with me...something that is rare in France. If there are servers that are rude, though, then that wouldn't be a draw-back, as 'good' service is a non-French cultural expectation, and one isn't likely to find it much in France anywhere (at least in my experience after living here for 5 years). The banana-chocolate-caramel mouse wasn't good, but the pumpkin soup and main courses we got were great. One also gets a LOT of food. We couldn't finish it all. The prices for a regular plate are between 14-19 euros, depending...and frankly...that is normal for Paris which has a very high cost in restaurants unless one hits a crap cafe. I recommend this place.

Pros: Diverse selection, Nice atmostphere, heart of Paris
Cons: Vegan options too

Tasteless

1 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2008

The food was tasteless and very expensive (cca.20 Euros per plate). The toilette was dirty, broken, bad smelling with no light. The waitor was very grumpy and he went smoking few steps away while serving us. Not even the location would make me go there again. Do not recommend.

Pros: location
Cons: bad food, pricy, unfriendly staff
draeyk
draeyk

ok...ish

1 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2008

the staff were very, very unfriendly!

the mango and avocado tart was ok but basically a slop.

the macrobiotic platter was ok, but the wierd and tasteless overcooked tomato stew thing was awful, tasted of tinned tomato.

and of course far too expensive for what it was.

Pros: location
Cons: bad service, expensive, bland
lilmammal
lilmammal

Great place in great location

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2008

Cute restaurant near the Notre Dame. Unlike many French restaurants, they are actually open in August! We loved the atmosphere, the food, and the staff. The Prix Complet menu was priced reasonably, as was the regular menu. If the seitan brisket is available, go for it.

Pros: location, value, open in August
janelangton
janelangton

Lovely Experience

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2008

As a family (2 adults and 2 teenage daughters) who like to holiday in France, we have so often struggled to find something to eat. On one occasion we were served 'vegetarian' pizza with generous slabs of bacon on top. It comes as a relief to find somewhere that we all like, which is central and serves tasty food. The menu is varied, the service is good. We all liked the laid back and very friendly waiter. The place was busy but not too rushed. We will definitely go back and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to any other vegetarians or anyone else for that matter. Go and try it.

Pros: good food, central location, friendly staff
Cons: spiral staircase up to toilets
brownhare
brownhare

Would go again!

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

We (my parents, sister and I) came here after an exhausting day of trekking around Pere Lachaise and Notre Dame. The service was excellent and quickly switched to English. The food was filling, wholesome and reasonably priced. The seitan went down particularly well.
** Menu appeared completely vegetarian. Would give 5/5 if Happy Cow allowed. **

Pros: Friendly service, English speaking, Good choice/vegan dishes labelled
aclasse
aclasse

Still a good standby

3 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2008

This laid-back place (which I may have reviewed before) seems to be open most of the time, and I have never needed to book (but having said that phoning ahead wouldn't be a bad idea!). The food is fairly plain but is well-prepared. They now mark vegan dishes on the menu, and there are quite a few, but a word of warning: tell them if you're vegan, otherwise you may get non-vegan dressing on the salad accompanying your otherwise vegan meal. (This happened to me and they removed it, more or less, with a good grace.)

By the way I don't know why this is designated a non-vegetarian restaurant on HappyCow because they don't serve anything non-vegetarian as far as I know - certainly no fish was in evidence.

Pros: Great location, Flexible, Friendly
Cons: Not haute cuisine
KC2406
KC2406

Give it a go!

3 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2008

This was the first vege restaurant I went to in Paris. I choose it because it was mentioned alot in guide books and internet sites I had been on before I went. It was easy to find, if you cross the bridge by Notre Dame catheral carry straight on passed the cafe on the corner and it is on the first back street on the left. We went for it opening just after 6:30pm. There are loads of tables compared to other places over two floors so i dont think you would have a problem getting in. It was nice inside, would be suitable for a romantic meal. There is plenty of choice, I had paella which was a bit bland but my friend had the lasagne which looked nice. The bill came to 58euros for the two of us-we had a main, dessert & 2 drinks. The food was good not amazing but to be honest I was just glad to find a vege restaurant at all in Paris. I would give this one a go, its a nice little restuarant in a good location. The next day we went to Le Potager du marais which put this one in the shade.

Pros: Non smoking, Plenty of choice
Cons: Food lacked something

Paris Staple for 30 years

4 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2008

Food was good, many options in the menu, and the portions are quite plentiful. I went two times last week while in Paris and walked out very satisfied. The service is very good and the place has a nice decor. I will always go when I am in Paris. It is very close to Notre Dame, Shakespeare & Company just off the river.

Pros: Good food, Good selection, big portions
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

There are better places, but hey if you're near

2 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2007

I can't see how this place can have a fan club, but its not all that and wouldn't survive a day if not for it's location. I still have photos of my meal there. (yes I'm a weird vegan that takes pictures of his food, well if its good I often eat it before remembering to snap a pic) The funniest thing I ordered was this vegan jello (agar agar) deal that probably tasted close to the taste of a car tire. There are far better veg places to eat in Paris, so skip this one unless you find yourself at Notra Dame tired and starving. Other than the bland food, its a neat little restaurant.

Pros: location, charm
Cons: food, dessert
Pabs
Pabs

Greta little place in Paris

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2007

This is the place my wife and I go to every time We are in Paris, We love this place, the food is good, with a more home made type of flavors, the owner and the server are great, this is our place away from home,.
By the way who ever wrote that they serve fish was mistaken.
Also I would like to add to all the people that wrote that the food is bad:
My wife and I were ( and always go to one of this restaurants when we are in a particular city)to Alain Ducasse both in Paris and Monte Carlo, we've been to Robuchon, Arpege,French Laundry Etc, all the major restaurants of the world and the chefs in those restaurants always make incredible meals for us, dishes that are incredible, always making sure that they don't use animal products and they pull it of incredibly,
Having said this when you go to a restaurant like Le Grenier de Notre Dame you are not expecting a 4 star michelin chef to prepare you a meal, this place is a cozy home style vegan/vegetarian restaurant where you don't have to ask or call in advance so the chef can prepare a menu without animal products, so to " bitch " about this place is plain snooty and pretentious, this place is exactly what is suppose to be.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, just right
Cons: none

Le Grenier de Notre Dame

4 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2007

We loved the food at this restaurant and thought the cost moderate rather than expensive. They do not serve fish. The food is organic and macrobiotic. The owner seemed very passionate about serving high quality vegetarian food. We did not need a reservation, only two other people were there the entire time we were eating. I would go there again next time I am in Paris, it is so difficult to find a true vegetarian restaurant in Paris.

Pros: Organic, Innovative, Healthy
iwiley
iwiley

Excellent

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2007

Vegetarian paella (very good!), a glass of wine, and a late night sidewalk table--great experience! And of course the location is very convenient, easy to find (You'll see the large "vegetarian food" sign far before you see the "le grenier..." sign).

Pros: Flavorful food, Area, Open late
bfdnatalie
bfdnatalie

Excellent choice

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2007

Whilst in Paris had a recommendation to visit Le Grenier near Notre Dame. Choice of menu was excellent, prices a little high. Had the vegetarian cassoulet. Menu is OK but like home cooking. Had excellent fresh lemonade, I would certaintly recommend that. I would go again as vegetarian food in other restaurants in Paris is basically non-existent.

Pros: Menu, Fresh Lemonade
Cons: Home Cooking
vegman in France
vegman in France

Disappointing!

1 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2007

My first visit to this place was over 15 years ago and I remember it being expensive but quite nice. I have been 3 times this year and each time it was expensive and the food was very mediocre in the quality of the cooking and the taste. The couscous I have tried twice (to try and give them the benefit of the doubt) and the last time it just had to go back, virtually inedible through lack of flavour. It came back just spicy and bitter. I feel it the owner rests on it's central location and I can honestly say (I am 46 and have eaten in hundreds of veggie places) that a little trip to the less central veggie establishments will be worth it.
Jonathan

Pros: central
Cons: pricey, bland
jaya49
jaya49

Wake up and smell the tofu!

1 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2007

My husband and I have been vegetarian for over 30 years and have eaten memorable meals in some of the best restaurants in the US and Europe. We have found consistently better food at non-vegetarian places, and Le Grenier is no exception. Our experience there was frustrating and disappointing. The food would have passed muster 25 years ago, but the world and vegetarian cuisine have all moved beyond the menu here. You don't have to put up with this kind of mediocrity, especially in Paris. The food was vastly overpriced and the service bordered on rude. The best thing I can say about it is that the wine was good and reasonably priced and the kir was one of the best I've ever had. Other than that, we ended up wishing we'd gone to a falafel stand.

Pros: good wine
Cons: outdated menu, overpriced, rude

Wonderful!

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2007

This place is great, small, delicious, friendly, curtious and very Parisian! Richard

Enjoyable meal

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2007

Very good food. Had a very nice meal. Requested a Vegan starter, main meal and dessert - enjoyed every minute of it. The restuarant was very nice. It does help if you can speak French, if you are asking for Vegan food.

Would recommend it to any Vegan, my husband enjoyed the food, even though he is not vegan.

Would use again.

Saddler
Saddler

New Decor

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2007

This is the 4th time I have been and this year, in June, it had been re-decorated, without losing its ambience. It really is a very nice restauarant and, in my experience, it is just about the best you can get in Paris, which is not as good as in many other cities. The staff are always friendly and can speak English and there is plenty of choice for vegans. In the Happy Cow list, it is described as not being 100% vegetarian but I have never seen anything non-vegetarian on a menu there. If you have only one night in Paris, go to Le Grenier and you can stroll around Notre Dame afterwards and maybe even take a look at the famous Shakespeare and Co bookshop, which is around the corner.

Pros: Choice, Ambience, Vegan friendly
Cons: Not the cheapest
onejamie
onejamie

Cosy - Nice Food - Expensive

3 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2007

We visited for dinner in March 2007. The place is very small, and had a cosy, comfortable atmosphere. Our waiter did not speak English, but he was very patient with our poor effort at speaking French, so communication was not a major problem. The food in general was very nice, but not amazing. The lasagne was average. We did enjoy our visit but for the price one might expect more.

Pros: Friendly, patient staff, Cosy atmosphere
Cons: Expensive
MrFalafel
MrFalafel

The best veggie restaurant in Paris

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2007

I've been visiting this place for over 10 years now and have never been dissapointed. The food is a veg*n versions of standard french peasant food and emphasis is on rustic with big flavours in baked dishes. Couldn't be in a better location for tourists and the waiters have always been very pleasant and efficient and very practised dealing with tourists in english. Booking a table downstairs is essential as the tables upstairs are a bit cramped (as is all of Paris it seems!). Prices are the same as my favourite veg restaurants in London. Looking forward to my next visit!

Pros: big menu, great location, good wine list
SarkeBeeley
SarkeBeeley

Nothing spectacular

3 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2006

My first thoughts on Le Grenier was its size, they seemed to have crammed as many tables in a physically possible. Even though we went at a fairly quiet time I could imagine that if it was busy you would almost be sat on your neighbours knee!! There was nothing particularly amazing on the menu although the portion sizes weren't bad - the large bottle of wine was appreciated! The young waiter was very sullen and didn't speak any english although the person I assume was the head waiter or manager helped us out a little. Thie restaurant was a little pricey for the quality of food. As a vegan I find myself happy with just about anywhere that I can get food but if comparing this to regular restaurants I wouldn't have been particularly impressed. As far as vegan friendly restaurants go it was ok.

Pros: Large bottle of wine, Number of vegan options
Cons: Miserable staff, Crammed in, Too pricey
ninn
ninn

'Evening in Paris Spoiled'!

2 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2006

visited in evening - nice atmosphere and great location. Usual Bland French Veggie Food - stange combinations - also overpriced and couple of dishes where overcooked. It was more like 'daytime cafe 1970s style' than evening restaraunt food. Reasonable sized portions. My partner and I enjoyed the evening until the waiter made a very inappropriate (which was not a joke/flirt) proposition - avoid if single female or female couple - made us very uncomfortable as he was unfriendly once turned down!!. Spoiled our romantic Paris evening totally. However hard to say what other staff would be like.

Pros: Location and Atmoshere, Good Portions
Cons: Price and Staff, Food Bland
Miru
Miru

Not worth the price

1 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2006

Very disappointed with this one. Tried both lunch and dinner there on two different days hoping the disappointing lunch was just a fluke. It wasn't. Food was quite greasy and overcooked both times. The veggies were boiled into tastelessness and there was hardly any seasoning on anything. It's more expensive than both Le Potager du Marais & La Victiore Supreme du Couer but the food was quite inferior to both of those places. Can't say I'd recommend it.

Pros: Large menu selection
Cons: Overcooked, greasy food, Overpriced
Poundie
Poundie

Decent place

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2006

The location is great, right in the center of Paris. The food was very good, if not that special. If you are in the area, this is fine place to stop by.

Pros: heatlhy, location
Cons: a bit bland