Laughing Seed Cafe

Cafe featuring organic, seasonal, farm-to-table vegetarian cuisine with an international flair. The varied menu includes vegetarian sushi, sandwiches, salads, a raw tapas plate special, fruit smoothies and elixirs, dinners, and more. Sunday brunch til 2pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, International, Beer/Wine
40 Wall St (downtown Asheville)
Asheville, North Carolina 28801
828-252-3445

Open Mon, Wed, Thur 11:30am-9pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-10pm, Sun 10am-9pm.

First Review by aglenn0
DaveMiami
DaveMiami

This is my favorite type of healthy/vegan place!

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

Awesome menu! I got a zucchini marinara dish which was amazing. They also have juices and smoothies and kombucha. But most awesomely they have tonics! The tonics are mixtures of awesome herbs for digestion etc.

Pros: Menu, Tonics, kombucha
JLP
JLP

a wonderful jewel in a neat part of Asheville

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

This is a definite good place for dinner
The daily special has two vegan soups, three vegan appetizers, and two wonderful appetizers... Also great vegan dessert selections. See photos

kingopilates
kingopilates

Good variety; fresh

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2014

A good selection of healthy items menu items. Service is fast and staff is knowledgeable of ingredients and food preparation. Upbeat atmosphere and happy customers keep the place full, even during off-peak hours.

Pros: Excellent food, Great atmosphere
Cons: parking
NatalieHunter
NatalieHunter

Good for vegetarians, vegan, gluten free

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

If your vegetarian vegan gluten-free or even raw you can find a tasty dish here. They're healthy options for the kids. It should definitely be on your list of places to eat in Asheville.

aner1kind17
aner1kind17

Hit or miss

4 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

I love Laughing Seed for its variety and location. Some meals are delicious (raw dish) and some are just ok (barbecue Seitan sandwich). Definitely come here, just choose wisely!

Pros: Location, Service
Cons: Some food better than others

NJCAMANY
NJCAMANY

Good Not Great

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2013

In the area on vacation found it on Happy Cow.
Food was good but no wow factor.
Menu had a good variety to select from.
I tried the Apple Parsnip soup pretty blah.
Onion Jalapeno fries were pricey but good.
Would try again.

Farmaroundthebend
Farmaroundthebend

Great!!! One of my favorites!

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2013

Tons of vegan options, this entirely vegetarian restaurant is amazing. I've had pretty much everything on the menu and it's all amazing. The raw manicotti is awesome. If you can- go for brunch!!!! You can sit outside with your dogs, they're super accommodating to make vegetarian items vegan. Brunch is simply out of this world.
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 09, 2013

Pros: All vegetarian lots of vegan!, In lovely downtown Asheville , Vegan brunch on the weekends-a rarity!
Cons: Staff sometimes not overly friendly, Can be a little pricey
rmills12
rmills12

Terribly Disappointed

2 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2013

We were so excited to visit this place on many recommendations. We go to Asheville on a Tuesday only to find out they were closed on Tuesdays. Anyway, we decided to go the following day for lunch. We were the first ones in the door. We started with the jalapeno onion fries...Amazing! I then ordered the vegan Rueben and my girl ordered a veg plate. She got black beans (out of a can), brown rice(dry and chewy), and dahl, which was actually soup? She was gonna just suck it up and eat what she could until I found not 1 hair, not 2 hairs, but 3 hairs in my Rueben. Gross. Needless to say we both lost our appetite. They did comp the entire bill which was nice. Sadly, we will never go back :(

Pros: Vegan options, Atmosphere, Location
Cons: Hairs in food, Bland, Pricey
shsmile23
shsmile23

My kind of place!

4 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

Visiting from NW Indiana and this was one of the places many had recommended; we were a party of 4 and two in the group are omnivores and all were happy with the food choices. Collectively, we ordered the raw manicotti (delish!), the tempeh reuben, tempeh Cuban, and the laughing seed salad. Everything was very good; I will say I was looking for something more w/ the jalapeno/onion fries, but I may have had too high of expectations from the get go. Overall, very good and I will go back if another opportunity presents itself.

Pros: delicious food, lots of options including raw options, nice location
Cons: service somewhat slow
gwild
gwild

great location amazing manicotti

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

I ate the raw manicotti was and it was amazing. I loved it. My husband had the Sloppy Joe which he said was fair. It was mainly lettuce in a bun with some sauce. My daughter had the Indian thali which was very good.
The hummus and pita was good but after being spoiled with the Bombay hummus from Rebar in Victoria BC nothing measures up.
Another reviewer said prices here were half what they are at Plant but I found otherwise. My raw manicotti at Laughing seed was $14 while my raw enchilada at Plant was $15.
The food is a overall better at Plant but they are a bit more expensive. Laughing seed has a better location and is larger. I preferred the atmosphere at Laughing Seed.

Pros: location, patio, atmosphere
Cons: some food good some not so good
bunyak
bunyak

Amazing Brunch!

4 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

My wife and I have been vegan for about for about 14 years and veg 5 years before that. We have an 11 y/o vegan son. We've eaten at the best vegan restaurants in the country. Does it compare to Vedge, in Philly? No. Plant? Eh, questionable. It depends how you're judging.

We've been avoiding meat substitutes and wheat/corn for over a year. This week was vacation and all that went out the window, to have some comfort food. Laughing Seed delivered in a big way. We started with their Sunday brunch. It was a beautiful morning, so we sat outside. What a great setting. The biscuits, gravy and grits were ridiculous.

We followed up with dinner, another night. My son had Indian Dal, I had the Cuban and my wife had barbecued seitan. All delivered, at about half the cost of Plant. Based on that, I score them about equal. Nothing fancy, just good.

One more thing to add. We had different servers, on our two visits. They could not have been nicer, more eager to please people.

Pros: Delicious comfort food., Excellent service., Reasonable prices.
Cons: Have to go to Asheville to get vegan, biscuits and gravy, like this!
wuthering
wuthering

Not nearly as good as it used to be

2 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2013

I've held this place in the holy grail category of veggie restaurants for about 15 years. My hubby and I just went back there again (June 2013) with my parents and had those same high hopes. Dashed, they were, dashed. Unfortunately, the food isn't up to par. Small portions on huge plates, which makes it look even more like they've hit a wall. We had some strange 'vegan chorizo' thing, and the vegetables with it were steamed badly and had (no kidding) no sauce, dressing or anything. It's like they don't care. We tried dessert, mainly because we were still hungry. The chocolate beet cake was good, but incredibly dense. The funniest thing, or worst depending on your outlook, is that they charged $2 for a tablespoon of vegan ice cream. Seriously, a tablespoon size. (Save your money and go to The Hop for vegan ice cream.)
We did find out the ex-head chef left to go to Plant, and clearly took the interest and excitement with them. Most likely won't be going back until we find they've got a new chef with some chutzpah and when they lower their prices below extortion-level.

Pros: Central location, Nice servers, Some drinks specials sometimes
Cons: Out-dated decor, Food isn't great anymore, Sitting back on their laurels
Carrie C. Reid
Carrie C. Reid

Cute

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

The atmosphere is cute here, with its themed setting. It is a great place to spend a morning brunch or evening. It is clean, and reasonably priced. The portions are big. I would love it if they were a bit more informed about which items are vegan or not, but overall it was a pleasant experience, and I would go back.

Pros: clean, fun
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Nice Brunch

3 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

After stuffing myself at plant the night before I slept in and visited Laughing Seed Cafe for brunch. The place was quite busy (tattoo convention in town along with college crowd and people in the city for the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds concert) so it was hard to really rate the service. I thought it was adequate.

The food is priced very reasonably and it pretty tasty. The selection was rather impressive for a mere brunch. There are a lot of elements that are shared between dishes. I ordered the tempeh and root hash which was filling and tasty. I particularly liked the 'Freaky Tiki' drink - just the right type of sweet.

I would like to visit again during dinner service to see what aspects I was missing out on.

I give it three cows for now, but has potential for 4 if I make it back.

Pros: Price, Good brunch, Location
Cons: Service not the best when busy
djmichael
djmichael

Used to be my favorite restaurant

3 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2012

I travel to Asheville from Durham about once a year. I always used to go to Laughing Seed at least once per visit--but no longer. Don't get me wrong: I love that they are entirely vegetarian. There's nothing like it here in Durham. But lately, I've been disappointed: The menu is smaller (still lots of great choices), and the prices are high. On my most recent visit, I ordered a daily special tempeh dish, and I just didn't really enjoy it. Aside from the tempeh being rather bland, the food was not HOT. When I'm paying $15 for an entree, I don't think it's a lot to ask to have the food served PIPING HOT. In this case, I sent back my plate--and it came back only slightly warmer. Henceforth, I'll be frequenting alternatives in Asheville, such as Nine Mile and Green Sage, which are less expensive, have very tasty food, and serve their food HOT.

Pros: 100% vegetarian, Local
Cons: Expensive, Awful parking
appandy15
appandy15

Must visit

5 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2012

My wife and I enjoyed brunch so much we went back for dinner the same day. I had the Sunday Sooner, WOW, amazing breakfast/brunch extravaganza (pic added) that included home fries, gravy, sauteed spinach, tofu scramble, grits, toasted pita triangles, seitan, and guacamole for only $7!! I would eat this every Sunday if I lived in Asheville, and it was enough to share, in my opinion. My wife had the waffles with fruit but quickly started eating off my plate... The services for brunch was great as well.

Dinner was less exciting but was still tasty. I had the reuben, which in its original state is practically all animal based, was decent but not worth writing home about. My wife had a pasta dish which she devoured.

Laughing Seed offers a great local beer selection and cute clothing sporting their logo. Indoor and outdoor seating available with great decor.

Pros: Great veg and vegan options, Local craft beer
JessinJax
JessinJax

Awesome Sandwiches!

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2012

Visited Asheville over Thanksgiving and came here for dinner. Sat at the bar and had the Tempeh Rueben and the Tempeh Cuban, both were very good! Would totally go back here next time Im in town.

kristenstar4
kristenstar4

Main Meal Tasty

3 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2012

I have been here probably 6 times. Some highlights: The rueben sandwich is tasty but salty. Their fries are salty too. Maybe ask them to use less salt? Asian salad is great. Pakoras are a nice appetizer. Wagon Wheel was a special and it was great (husband got it & liked it A LOT). Recently ate the Mayan Brownie for dessert and it was really DRY. The waitress knew this and offered another dessert- the carrot cake and that was tastier. My husband got the cobbler and he said it tasted like instant oatmeal- maybe skip their desserts?

Pros: good value, good atmosphere
Cons: desserts so-so, salty
jniertit
jniertit

Deplorable Service

2 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2012

The hostess was gracious and seated myself and husband and two children outside. After that more than one server looked over at our table but never came over. Other tables were seated after us and drinks served...we left after 10-15min. of getting no attention and walked right past a server on the way out who did not make eye contact. Deplorable service, very dissapointing.

Pros: Decor
Cons: Service
hdeweyh
hdeweyh

Delicious asheville veg

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

Yum yum yum. Great restaurant. Everything clearly labelled as vegan, raw etc. We enjoyed the jalapeno fries to start followed by panang seitan curry for me and raw manicotti for my (non vegan non raw dad). Both meals were spectacular - the raw dish winning by a hair. definitely give this place a try.

Pros: vegan clearly marked, delicious food
Andrewrgibbs
Andrewrgibbs

Not bad

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2012

Food was very tasty, though the sauce was overdone on the low country pancakey things. And that's my biggest complaint.

Baby friendly and generally a pleasure to eat at. We'd go again.

Pros: Good variety, Friendly service
Cons: Not particularly eclectic
Julie R
Julie R

LOVE IT!

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2012

I love Asheville NC because it is so vegetarian friendly! It's hard to choose which vegetarian restaurant to go to.

I picked Laughing Seed this day, and loved it. It was late in the afternoon, so they still had the "lunch" menu out. I ordered a Sloppy Joe that was quite tasty. It came with blue corn chips, a pickle and cole slaw. I was stuffed when I was done eating it. It was really delicious, and the price was $10.

I think the prices are a tad on the high side; that's the only negative thing I have to say. The inside is beautiful and clean, but because it was such a nice day, everyone was eating outside. There is plenty of seating, inside and out. The service was FANTASTIC.

I really enjoyed my meal here and will be back. It is a way-different vibe than other vegetarian places I enjoy here -- a little more on the upscale side; I'm just happy to have choices when I'm in Asheville!

UPDATE: I enjoyed another meal at Laughing Seed today; I had the Reuben sandwich (marinated organic tempeh, house-made organic purple sauerkraut with cracked juniper and caraway,caramelized onions, and Swiss cheese on grilled multigrain bread with vegan Russian dressing). Ooooooh - it was so delicious! $10 for the sandwich and chips.

UPDATE: Ate at Laughing Seed again (May 2012). Another fantastic meal (and service is always great). This time, I tried something new; the Omega Hempnut Burger (V, GF option) - House-made, omega-rich hempseed patty, red pepper aioli, lettuce, tomato, red onion, clover sprouts, grated carrots and red cabbage on a housemade whole wheat porter bun. WOW, it was really good - just take a look at my photo! I love Laughing Seed.

Pros: Nice ambivance, Fantastic Service, Really good food
Cons: Might seem pricey to some people, Isn't in Miami
cheezyvegan
cheezyvegan

laughing seed never disappoints

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2012

my wife and i have visited asheville twice now, and we love that the city has a lot to offer vegans. we've sampled fare from as many veg and veg-friendly restaurants as possible, and laughing seed is one of our favorites. whatever your tastes or preferences, laughing seed is sure to have something on the menu for you. they've introduced some new raw options recently, and they have some great salads and simple dishes like their harmony bowl. but they also have thai- and indian-inspired dishes, and a fantastic brunch menu (on this most recent trip, we sampled the multi-grain rasberry pancakes with pomegranate-port butter, the tempeh and root hash, roasted potatoes, and vegan biscuits -- all superb).

some may complain that their prices are a little high, but i disagree. the portions are large, the food is fresh and creative, and you're supporting a veg establishment that consistently delivers. we love laughing seed, and i know we'll be back on future trips to asheville.

Pros: excellent food, healthy options, large portions
fatadam
fatadam

good stuff, a bit pricey

3 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2011

I've ate here twice. It's a bit fancy, much different than _______. The food is good but more expensive. I probably won't go back too often on accounts of that.
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 19, 2009

I realized this probably sounds like an advertisement for another restaurant, so I removed the name I'd previously mentioned. I could care less where you eat.

Pros: good food
Cons: fancy pantsy, expen$ive
lpass809
lpass809

Excellent! Many options!

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2011

Delicious food with many vegan options. I had an amazing vegan chocolate cake with cayenne pepper. My dinner was wonderful and the juice I got was so fresh and original in the combination. Definitely going back!

Pros: many options, fresh juices, vegan desserts
jshorts710
jshorts710

Amazing

5 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2011

Laughing Seed Cafe is a beautiful restaurant in a quaint little town. There is indoor and outdoor seating. The patio was a great place for people watching. There are numerous vegan options and many of the vegetarian dishes can be made vegan. The food was really good. Flavored well and the presentation was exquisite. I enjoyed the minestrone soup for an appetizer and the Pistachio Seitan Marsala for an entrée. The dish was pricey but was worth every penny. For dessert I had the apple toffee pudding cake which was warm, gooey, and delicious. Good portions, great flavor and friendly staff make the Laughing Seed a must visit in Asheville.

Pros: Amazing Food, Great Location, Relaxed Atmosphere
Cons: Price
mathman
mathman

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

As this appears in many travel guides, the Laughing Seed Cafe can be crowded, but don't let that deter you. I had a late lunch on a Saturday and was seated at the bar. The staff is energetic and always polite. The Tempecado (vegan) sandwich was fresh and hearty, even better than I expected, and the mini-salad it came with was also fresh. I'd certainly go back at any time.

cringer
cringer

Too Pricy

2 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2011

I have gone to Laughing Seed numerous times and most of the visits are usually negative. Either I have to deal with unfriendly staff, long wait, burnt food, or something. The only reason why I still kept going was for the seitan "fish" sandwich and now they have gotten rid of it. The food portions are so small that you leave hungry and it is very pricy for the "kids meal" you end of getting. I am glad there are other veg options around and that is why I haven't been back in almost a year. Im not planning on going back either.

Cons: Unfriendly staff/ Not Kid Friendly, Long Wait , Small Portions/Expensive Prices
halfthejob
halfthejob

A Safe Bet for All Vegetarians and Vegans

4 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2011

Laughing Seed Cafe is a safe bet for all vegans and vegetarians trying to eat out in the Asheville area. The major plus side is that they have an entirely vegetarian menu, most of which can be converted to vegan, and the food is delicious; the downside is that your meal can be rather pricey, and they often have a rather long wait-time. All in all, the positives out-weigh the negatives.

Pros: all vegetarian, a diverse menu, delicious food
Cons: price, wait time, an over-abundance of choices
lovintheveg
lovintheveg

Heavenly hempnut!

5 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2011

It was my first time to Asheville and was looking for a veg restaurant. I have yet to find one that I don't like. Laughing Seed is delicious. I had the hempnut burger with some pasta as a side. Definitely recommend that. Had Blue Sky cola to wash it down. This is a must visit restaurant for my fellow veggies!

Pros: service, food
veganmadre
veganmadre

Essential Asheville Stop

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

I pretty much love any place where I can purchase a tempeh reuben. I'm simple. Laughing Seed has much more to offer, though. I had the pleasure of dining on the patio during my visit and watching all the foot traffic. It's in a great city spot. The menu is varied and gives you the option of uber-healthy to nicely fried/non greasy comfort food.

The pub below the restaurant is a neat place to visit, as well. Jack of the Woods has bluegrass jams, open mics and live music - as well as a few vegan menu items to boot. The selection of ales are great.

Pros: Formal Menu, Healthy Cuisine, Fresh Air Dining
hippublican
hippublican

Nice

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2011

Laughing Seed isn't my favorite veggie spot in Asheville, but it was still nice to stop in and I'd definitely go back.
The menu doesn't have the widest selection, but there are definitely some great options. My favorites are the fries, the potato salad, and the minestrone soup. I had one of the sushi rolls, however, and I really really didn't like it. I'm a sushi-lover, so it's pretty rare that I dislike a roll enough to not even finish it. I think the problem was the tempeh being overly marinated and kinda squishy.
The service has been hit or miss. Some servers are friendlier than others. The restaurant itself is gorgeous.
Give Laughing Seed a visit if you're in town, but I'd go to Rosetta's first.

Pros: beautiful restaurant, good portions
Cons: hit or miss service, small menu
AJ
AJ

Decent but could be better

2 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2011

Service was competent but not especially friendly. Food was definitely vegetarian and vegan meant simply removing dairy to accomodate. However, substitute vegan havarti spread on sandwiches for cheese which was good. Vegan fries were over done. :(

andy42
andy42

Excellent Gourmet-Quality Veg Dining

5 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2010

I went here for the first time last weekend. Got the pecan seitan and raw spinach/pesto pasta dish... it was as high quality vegan dinner as i've ever had. could have easily been served at one of NYC's top vegan restaurants, except it was half the price. vegan dessert (raw sundae) was excellent too... so good that we returned the next day for sunday brunch, which included vegan versions of all kinds of breakfast staples in a vegan form (grits, biscuits, etc.)including the chef's rendition of bacon, using dehydrated mushrooms -- it tasted exactly like bacon. the chef's got SKILLS! I'll definitely be returning.

Pros: high quality, reasonably priced
hoffmans2
hoffmans2

Huge Menu, Couldn't Decide

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

I had the hardest time figuring out what to choose. As a vegan, I'm simply not used to having so many options. It was truly overwhelming, but so exciting!

The quality of the food was excellent. Everything from the appetizer to the dessert was filling. We will go back if we go to Asheville again.

Pros: Filling Food, High Quality, Excellent Service
Cons: Hard to find by car
snail
snail

Good but over-priced

3 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

Tasty food, but over-priced. Not completely vegan, though most things on the menu can be made vegan.

Pros: good food, lots of vegan options
Cons: expensive, not vegan
scgilles
scgilles

Rude Server, only vegan "familiar" not friendly

2 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2010

Very disappointed after going here on vacation, there are so many other awesome veg restaurants in Asheville, sorry we wasted our time & money here. Almost everything on the menu has cheese or dairy in it and my husband couldn't eat anything b/c they refused to make anything w/out oil in it (he's on restrictive diet). He insisted I get the meal I wanted (Reuben, vegan) and it was pretty good, not amazing. Fries are super oily and very crunchy, if you like that. Our server was NOT friendly, rude even. Will absolutely not be back on our next visit there.

Cons: Rude service, Expensive
Cris
Cris

5 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2010

This is the best vegetarian restaurant I have ever eaten at!
It is SO good in fact, I have decided to move to Asheville!
Okay, that is NOT the only reason, I fell in love with the city in 1999. Since then, I have gone back several times and a couple of years ago, decided I want to move there.

So, as soon as I can get my house sold here, and find a place there - I will be there! Seriously, PETA had once said that Asheville was voted the most vegetarian friendly SMALL city in the US, and that Portland was the most vegetarian friendly LARGE city in the US.

And, it is true of Asheville, almost every restaurant(even the best BBQ place they have, I hear) has vegetarian and vegan choices on the menu, and are listed as veggie-friendly on the PETA website.

They also have great vegetarian or veggie friendly grocery stores. And it is a great city for Art and culture. I also notice a lot of Hybrid vehicles parked there, so you get what it is all about.

I am from NY originally, have spent a lot of time in California and many other states. There are great vegetarian restaurants in many other cities, but in my opinion, the Laughing Seed is the best.

But the Laughing Seed has always been the highlight of any trip I have taken there, and it is likely to be a frequent eatery once I move there.

Pros: great food, good wait staff, nice atmosphere
AJ Veggie Girl
AJ Veggie Girl

Great vegan dining...

5 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2009

My husband and I visit Asheville often and always stop by Laughing Seed for dinner. They have a big menu with a lot of variety. I love their vegan sloppy joe, and my husband likes the harmony bowl. We've tried several items off the menu, and most of it is great. I wasn't a fan of one of their tempeh sandwiches, but I'm not a huge tempeh fan anyway. The hardest thing about eating here is finding a parking spot, and if you go on a weekend night, try to get there early or plan for a little wait. The most we've ever had to wait was 30-40 minutes though. Basically, it's a great atmosphere with great vegan food.

Pros: vegan options, delicious
Cons: parking, sometimes a little wait
veggietwin
veggietwin

Great Place to Eat

5 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2009

I visited this resturant in September 2009. I was very impressed with the food and the staff was wonderful. I ate there twice on my trip. On my first trip, I started with the pakoras which were great, a little heavy, but hey, their not health food. For the main course I had the mushroom enchiladas which had a great flavor and tasted great with the fresh salad. For desert I had the carrot cake which was rich and dense. The second trip I skipped an appetizer and had the Tico Burrito. This was very large and filling. The sauce on top was very rich and went great with the side salad. I had the chocolate cheesecake while it tasted very good, it was more like a moist cake than a regular cheese cake. I took a wrap to go to eat the next day which was very good and came with a side of quina salad. The prices were very reasonable for the quantity and quality of the food. This resturaunt also cares about the presentation of the food. Overall, this is a great resturaunt in a great area. I would recommend visiting this restuaruant.

Pros: Taste, Quality, Staff
  • Diner Dave Diner Dave

Yep, Laughing Seed is one of those restaurants that tempt you into ordering another meal to go for later... especially for you out of town folks...it IS that good.

mdorfman95
mdorfman95

Delicious!

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2009

I was amazed at how tasty the food was at Laughing Seed! My parents and I (they are not vegetarian) went there and we all loved it so much we went back the next day for the Sunday brunch. The service was amazing, and so was the food. I would eat here every day if I lived in Asheville.

Pros: great service, excellent food, beautiful place
Cons: a little expensive
Diner Dave
Diner Dave

One of the best...

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2009

The Laughing Seed is one of the best restaurants in Asheville for a vegetarian in my opinion. I really like Sunday brunch. They have a simply wonderful blue plate breakfast with really good gravy or you can choose from several tasty and unique entrees like tofu benedictine to huevos rancheros. After noon a bloody mary or maria is right on time. I go simple usually for lunch or dinner and enjoy the Harmony Bowl made up of rice, beans, steamed veggies, tofu and some rockin' tahini sauce or get a combination plate and select from a list of similar goodness. They have lots of good sandwiches and soup as well as good, but spendy entrees. The restaurant has changed a lot over the years, some for better, some for the worse, but you simply cannot go wrong with the Laughing Seed.

The downside used to be a long wait, but it seems to have decreased as prices have increased over the years. You can still find a wait to get a table usually on a weekend and it can be pricey, some may even find the atmosphere a bit undesirable at times and a vibe that is not quite ideal for them. Very different than Rosetta's for those familiar. I have encountered less than informed and intelligent servers as well as some with nasty attitudes, but the worst are the one or two over the years that possess both "qualities". Please understand that most servers have been good or great.

All in all, two thumbs up!

Pros: good food, healthy, all vegitarian
Cons: inconsistent , high dollar, occasional attitude
IpomeaBliss
IpomeaBliss

Used to be great

2 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2009

I went to Laughing Seed for the first time 3 years ago. And it was fantastic. But every time I have gone back (maybe 10 times over the years) it has been progressively worse. I am generally vegan when I go out to eat, for my own reasons. Of the times I can think of off the top of my head, they have put cheese all over the things I specifically ordered vegan version (because they OFFER a vegan option) and they have been rude when I comment on it. The last time, they brought an actual vegan hempnut burger out, but since we already bit into the cheesy one they served us prior, we asked if we could just have them both, since they obviously can't sell the one we started into. They said no. NO? They are the ones who messed up. She was so rude about it too. So we told them to keep the vegan one since she said they could use it. At least we didn't waste an extra one. The staff is generally snobby and the service is SOOOOOOOO slow -- and I mean glacial-- they don't deserve to charge that much. If you are vegan, just don't order something vegan option, go for the things that are always vegan. And don't go unless you have time. But when it is good, it is really good. Best of luck :)

Pros: clean, not greasy, Earth friendly take-out, No meat in house
Cons: S--L--O--W, bad service, expensive for the quality
sandition
sandition

Amazing Restaurant

5 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2008

Visiting from Seattle. Far surpassed expectations! Had the shitake corn cakes, asian dumplings, jalapeno fries, blueberry smoothie and took home chocalate raspeberry cake and coconut tart with berry sauce. So delicous, wonderful atmosphere, near lots of nice shops, great prices too.

Pros: Location, Atmosphere, Food
lentil
lentil

THE VERY BEST!

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2008

This is the very best vegetarian restaurant I've ever eaten at!!! I have been lucky enough to try at least half the menu & I've never been disappointed. Everything is AMAZING! They even have the most delicious cocktails...organic vodka & organic juices! They are upstairs from a micro brewery & serve green man ales awesome beer. My favorite meals are low country roll ups, Curried tempeh napoleon, & they have a great indian plate that changes everyday. Most entrees come with a mixed green salad. The dressings are all unique & yummy. The soups are wonderful. The menu is filled with exciting great dishes. Just go!

Pros: Super fresh, great selection, creative & tastes amazing
easydefault
easydefault

not family friendly

2 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2008

I went to Laughing Seed with my husband, friend, and two small children. The waitress charged us 20% gratuity because there were 5 or more people! I was offended by this because of the small children. I have been a waitress and know that should never happen. I am a large tipper too and would've given her a bigger tip. I even told her that too. I was not rude, I gave her constructive criticism. Then I gave them my "family" veg discount member card for 10% off and they only gave me .95 off of a $34 bill. I called to speak to a manager and he was beyond rude to me, interrupting me, and even started laughing at me! He said in a snotty voice, you can come get your, what do I owe you? Like $2? I was so offended. I am not going to take my family there anymore. I'll go to Rosetta's where I have never had any problem using my "family" veg discount card! That is why you pay the extra money for the "family" card...So your "family" can get the discount, not one person.

Cons: rude staff, rude manager, long wait!
ardizonisara
ardizonisara

• raw

raw food

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2008

this place friggen rules!! i would fly to asheville all the time just to eat here if i had money.if you go there try the raw food dishes and the hemp nut burger and the sietan and and the bowl thing with black beans and rice and the smoothies and the tea and everything else k? good service. the out door seating area is lovely. wish i lived there.

Pros: food, drinks, food
kider
kider

Amazing

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2008

Laughing Seed is an absolute must for any visit to asheville. Especially for you raw foodies. Everything on the menu is quite edible. They have a raw lunch special that comes with a raw desert. The hempnut burger is awesome, so are the reasonably priced teas. The smoothies and tonics are a little pricey, but worth it. Beautiful place to eat outside.

Pros: FOOD, Beer, Wine
Cons: more than I want to spend, but worth it.
  • ardizonisara ardizonisara

i love you!!!!

p.s I LOVE THIS MAN

Adnan
Adnan

Delirious food

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2008

We ate like Romans here; the bill totaled $100+. Aaah, it was worth it. This is a popular place, we saw many families with kids, and a group of college dudes who were so captivated by the food they didn't even notice that TVs are missing. At one point, a farmer was going around a restaurant selling fresh strawberries. We took a carton home, but didn't eat it until two days later when the food wore off. Make sure you visit this place before the bears from the surrounding mountains descend upon it.

Pros: Food quality, Service, Presentation
Willers
Willers

In concept, a great vegetarian restaurant

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2008

If you are a vegetarian visitor to Asheville, this is a must!

In concept, this is a great vegetarian restaurant. The menu choices and the specials are inventive and creative. The decor is calming and friendly. Freshness practically jumps off the plate. Over several years of visits, I have tried many different items, and have never been disappointed. The hempnut burger is one of my favorites. A thali special was delicious.

However, I did use the phrase "in concept..." On the down side, the prices at one time seemed very reasonable; now they seem somewhat high, and some portions have gotten noticeably smaller to the point of being an unsatisfying amount. The servers, while interesting and pleasant, are wildly variable in quality and attentiveness.

Pros: 100% vegetarian, Inventive menu
Cons: Somewhat pricy, Service varies wildly
tsap
tsap

Love the Laughing Seed

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2008

We first enjoyed the Laughing Seed about 10 years ago when staying in Asheville. This was our first time back to the area and we were looking forward to eating there again. It did not disappoint!!! Between the three of us across two nights, we had six different dishes that spanned raw, vegan, and vegetarian, and each one was excellent. The outdoor dining is relaxed and comfortable. No complaints regarding the service.

ali176
ali176

Upscale But Relaxed

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2008

What a treat! The vegetarian crab cakes are heavenly.

Pros: amazing cuisine, friendly staff, refined but still comfortable
Cons: a tad pricy
sleepydvdr
sleepydvdr

A great vegetarian restuarant

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2008

I recently ate here while on vacation and was impressed. It's decor was the best of any restaurant I visited and the food was excellent.

I applaud the fact that they have a lot of vegan options. The menu clearly states what is vegan or can be easily made vegan. They don't serve any meat at all, so everything is at least vegetarian.

The prices are a little high, as are almost all vegetarian-based restaurants. Most meals are in the $7-9 range. However, in the "Dinner Specialties" section, prices range from $13-$16.

I had the tempeh Reuben and it was a close contender to another nearby restaurant's vegan Reuben. They were both good, but neither tasted like a Reuben. The one thing that I particularly liked about this Reuben was their homemade Russian dressing sauce.

The only other menu item I tasted was a friend's "Rosemary Cider Braised Seitan". It tasted divine. I wish I had ordered it. However, the price of this meal may give you "sticker shock" - $15.95. It almost tastes like it's worth it, if that is any consolation. It's some of the best seitan I ever tasted. On vacation, I could justify it. On an everyday basis, I would just cook my own seitan.

I wish I had more vacation time to try more of their food. I'll probably go again on my next trip to Asheville.

Pros: Classy atomosphere, 100% vegetarian w/vegan options, Vegan options are clearly marked
Cons: Relatively high prices
Healthy Mama
Healthy Mama

Outrageously Delish

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

Wonderful ambiance plus delicious gourmet foods have made this one of my favorite restaurants. My only complaint is that I ate too much.

Pros: very gourmet, clear veg/vegan labels on menu, great ambiance
navski
navski

great vegetarian restaurant

5 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2008

Laughing Seed has great food and lots of vegan options, including a daily RAW special. Menu is really big and everything I've ever tried here is really good. I agree with some of the others that servers can space out, but they usually get the job done pretty well. They don't take reservations though, so it's hard to plan on going with a large group for a special occasion since it is usually pretty busy. Friendly, nice space. It's also closed on Tuesday, I believe, which is kind of random. But basically if you are a vegetarian in Asheville you have to try it out...

Pros: great food, tons of options, clean and pretty
Cons: don't take reservations, spacey service
goethe3
goethe3

Great Selection & Atmosphere

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2008

What I like most about Laughing Seed is their selection. They cater to vegetarians, vegans, and raw foodists. They are the only rsetaurant I know of that has a raw food special everyday. The atmosphere is great, but a little pricey, but it does serve upscale food. All veg heads must give the Laughing Seed Cafe a try!

Their vegan blue plate brunch is to die for!

Pros: Great selection, Great Atmosphere, Great food
Cons: A little pricey, Crowded at times

Great food

4 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2007

I love the fact that I can go to a restaurant and pick anything off the menu! The food is so tasty, and there is so much to choose from. Sitting outside while dining is a nice touch! Like mentioned numerous times before, I've never been happy with the service. It seems like the waitresses forget they have customers. If the food wasn't so great, I wouldn't go at all.

Pros: Amazing food
Cons: Poor service
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Great Ashville spot

4 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

I think the food is better during lunch. At dinner it gets a little crowded and your server will often forget about you and leave your food to get cold (noticed that in another review so I figured it's worth mentioning again) Its a great place to sit outside on a warm day. They've got a full bar, which makes it a nice evening spot as well. Upscale.

love it

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2007

The perfect spot at the end of a long day of hiking and mtn biking. I went here recently during a camping trip to the Smoky Mtns area... it can be hard to get enough protein while camping, so this spot was a godsend for the trip. Had the Hempnut Burger... delicious!

aglenn0
aglenn0

Best Vegetarian Sushi

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2007

I had a good experience with the Laughing Seed. I enjoyed the variety of food on the menu and everything I ordered was fresh and full of flavor. However, what stands out in my mind is the vegetarian sushi appetizer. The sushi was a special and I can only hope that they have since added this extraordinary appetizer to their regular menu. The sushi consisted of gingered carrots, fresh vegetables, and cashew butter! It was out-of-this-world and definately the best sushi I have ever experienced. Next time I am in Asheville, I will be stopping by The Laughing Seed!

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy cuisine, Good Variety

Dear Owner and Manager of Laughing Seed Cafe:

Thank you for being a FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Asheville page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2013/02/28