Laughing Planet - Blair Blvd

Serves meat, veg options available. Quick-service restaurant with locations in Oregon. Opened in 2004. The vegetarian and vegan friendly menu includes burritos, bowls, soups, salad, smoothies, cookies, beer, and cocktails. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Mexican, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
760 Blair Blvd (8th)
Eugene, Oregon 97402
868-0668
Closed now

Mon 11:00am-9:00pm, Tue-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

First Review by bee
MarkUser
MarkUser

Low price, Low taste (usually)

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2011

If you get the right items here they can be pretty tasty, but a lot of the burritos are just bland as all can be. Here's a quick tip for everyone using Tillamook cheese in their food. Use the 2-year aged white cheddar or (better yet) 3-year aged white cheddar, because everything else they make is worthless filler at best.

I did have some really good soup there last time I was there, and the prices are always spot on for what you get. Chips & Salsa ain't bad either. Nice spot and the food comes at you super fast. Ingredients list available on request for all of their soups and stuff and I was surprised their was no filler or chaff at all in their soups, just the good stuff. Overall a borderline 4 cow experience, just depends on what you get and who is the cook that day I guess.

Pros: Service, Price
Cons: Food can be hit or miss
S1ghk0mantiz
S1ghk0mantiz

Awesome

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2010

Burrito was amazing and Salsa and chips were really good too, Atmosphere is rad and I really liked the way they had a lot of "themed" burritos, also you can get anything as a salad or bowl and prices were good!

Pros: Good Food, Veggie Friendly, Great Guac
Cons: Out of the way a bit, Usually a line
advolente
advolente

I like'em but...

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2010

Their burritos are a little teeny bit on the tasteless side but with some salsa squirted on it's great. They are huuuuge and inexpensive for what you get. I've not tried the bowls much but if I were to get one of those I would just go to Cafe Yum!. LP's my burrito place of choice. Staff has always been friendly and I love the outdoor seating in the summer time.

Pros: Portions , Inexpensive, Outdoor seating
Cons: Could be more flavorful

Mitch Cohen
Mitch Cohen

Try the Soylent Green!

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2009

I really enjoy the grain bowls, such as its Soylent Green. The tempeh and mushroom gravy are great! The staff was really friendly to me, and I was a smelly, sweaty, hungry & thirsty customer who just bicycled a long ways. The delicious iced tea had free refills [even for dehydrated bicyclists].

At least the meat they serve isn't factory-farmed. I hope they've remedied the problems from their earlier negative reviews. I wish service, atmosphere & a menu like this could be found in the SF / Berkeley area!

Pros: excellent food, great selection, great value
  • kindlizard kindlizard

respectfully Mitch (I enjoy your reviews and such) from one vegan to another, you should not defend a cafe's meat usage or selection. it demeans you, us, and the lifestyle; especially on a vegan site.

kindlizard
kindlizard

Upon further review

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2008

The food I got was fine. It sounded better on the menu than what I got, but there was nothing wrong with my dish. My wife enjoyed her burrito.

When this first opened, I loved the staff, the attitude and such. I feel like a lot has changed since then. I also think they made more of an effort to isolate the meat from veg sections of the kitchen. However, they ought to make more of a concerted effort. I have heard locally that there have been cross-contamination. For burritos, they are surrounded by brilliant authentic cafes, both in the strip mall, and around the corner is my all time fave Latino restaurant Taco Loco, which is way better.

I still enjoy the atmosphere. The drinks are excellent. But the food is just alright, nothing special. In a town where burritos or rice bowls are abundant, it seems they should try to really focus on the food quality.

I would possibly try it again, but not w the highest of expectations. But they seem like good people, folks you'd want to root for.

Pros: drinks, ambience , family friendly
Cons: meat, potential cross contamination, just alright
moonshadoe
moonshadoe

Vegan's Beware!!!

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2008

My husband and I have been Vegans for 8 years and we don't eat out very often because we really don't have very many exclusively vegan restaurants here in Eugene. We tried to order some take out veggie burritos from the menu on a hot summer night to enjoy on my back deck and when I took my first bite I was shocked to find huge pieces of chicken in my vegetarian spinach and black bean burrito with rice cheese. After this aweful experience my husband called the restaurant and the manager showed no concern at all except to say they would give us a replacement burrito on the next visit. As my husband tried to explain to the manager the gravity of the situation, the manager hung the phone up on him repeatedly. Management is very poor and no concern for the Vegan customers they try to attract with the veg items on the menu. The cooks have little concern in preparing vegan menu items, as we have found with the few times we have tried to order food from L.P. I think they pay no attention at all to the separation of meat and cheese from the vegan items they prepare. I would be very careful before eating here. Until the owner takes the time to really care for the Vegans in Eugene and have conscious people working for him, he should not try to attract Vegan customers.

Pros: Veg items
Cons: Bad Management, Uncaring Cooks, Meat prep in same veg space
  • advolente advolente

The chicken thing happened to me once too. Nasty!

• The Hungry Vegan The Hungry Vegan

Me too! I complained and they told me to just pick it out, because that's what they would do. I haven't gone back.

suesara47
suesara47

Nice Relaxed Atmospher, great Parking!

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2008

The staff is great, food is good and not too expensive, it is child friendly. I really appreciate any restaurant that gives vegetarians a place to eat, meet and hang out. I have to say I am so disappointed in the neg reviews (political). The restaurant never said they were vegan in the first place guys! This is Eugene, these people are trying - how many restaurants have YOU started?? How many people have YOU provided jobs for? Can we just stick to reviews to help people decided what restaurants to try and refrain from hurting others?

Pros: healthy cuisine, good value, friendly staff
Cons: good portions, great dinosaurs, child friendly
  • flurbot flurbot

You sound like you're the manager. Being defensive and accusing other people of not starting their own vegan businesses? It's a totally illegitimate argument, like saying if you have a problem with America you should either love it as it is or leave it. I don't know if they necessarily say they are vegan or not but if they are a restaurant that "gives vegetarians a place to eat, meet, and hang out," as you say, then they should deliver actual vegetarian food. It's as easy as that.

Negative reviews ARE helpful for people trying to decide where to eat out. I don't think restaurants like Laughing Planet should be accepted for simply "trying" because they are clearly not trying very hard if there are chunks of meat in everything. That's not being considerate to the clientele and it is absolutely unacceptable. I would definitely want to be warned about a problem like that before eating anywhere!

• kindlizard kindlizard

Wouldn't the reviewer give it 5 happy cows if he/she was the owner? I think, flurbot, you overreacted to a legit review. He/she likes the food and cost. You can disagree but save the American diatribe... its a bit overboard.
    I've only been here twice, but I didn't have any non-vegan items in my food, nor has anyone I have talked to about this place. Perhaps y'all have an agenda to bad mouth a legit cafe?

bee
bee

Don't Bother with this place

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2008

Not only is the food NOT VEGAN, but they are participating in kicking out Holy Cow from the EMU. Holy Cow IS VEGAN. If you really support the vegan lifestyle, you should not support this imposter. They only buy local when convenient. The service is okay, but I will never go back. They won't even let you buy a kid's burrito unless you can show them the kid! The people that run this place must just be out for money as they do not consider their customers.

Cons: not vegan, uncooperative, not locallly owned
  • kindlizard kindlizard

First you are so wrong about HC being vegan. They have plenty of dairy. That is a wrong idea to put into people's minds since they were out at a festival and sold strictly non-vegan soup, and were not even nice to my wife when asked.

Second, you should talk about your LP experience, leave all the other stuff aside. Months later HC is still in EMU and you rail against this biz for nothing after all.

Dear Owner and Manager of Laughing Planet - Blair Blvd: