Laughing Planet Cafe - Belmont

Serves meat, veg options available. Multiple locations. Its vegetarian and vegan friendly menu features bowls, burritos, quesadilla, veggie burgers, soups, salads, steamed veggies, vegan desserts, smoothies, and juices. Has tofu and tempeh add-ons. Vegan items marked. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Juice bar, American, Mexican, Beer, Take-out, Non-veg
3320 SE Belmont St (Belmont District)
Portland, Oregon 97214
503-235-6472
OPEN NOW

Mon-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm

First Review by prezeliz
Juliett_Oscar
Juliett_Oscar

Easy going patio on an otherwise posh street

Posted on 11 / 01 / 2013

Oh, Laughing Planet...you've come to my rescue when I'm hanging out with children, unadventurous eaters, older folks or omni's, and for that I think you. You have a lovely patio in the back and super-enthusiastic staff. They do smile a lot and that's something. I only wish I enjoyed your vegan food a bit more. Instead, it's food as I imagine my vegan options in my future retirement home: steamed, low-fat and under-dressed. But, you get an A+ for effort.

Pros: Comfortable, friendly and fast
Cons: Leaves a craving for fat, salt and sugar
AMT
AMT

Yum!

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

Stopped here on a trip to Oregon with my husband-- we were both very impressed!

Pros: Good food, Cool atmosphere
cattyshedevil
cattyshedevil

:-)

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

Amazing selection of vegan food and fresh juices. A little too spicey for me but they have great salsa for those that like it!
Salsa bar is not there anymore. You have to ask for some.

Pros: location, vegan options, raw juice
Cons: request salsa , too spicy, pricey for add-ons

Tserisa
Tserisa

Huge Burritos

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2010

I've actually visited several Laughing Planet Cafe locations. Belmont was most recent. I admit I always get the same thing -- a bean burrito with the Vegan Deluxe option (no vegan cheese). I keep wanting to try something else, but the burrito is just so good! The vegan sour cream is one of the better sour creams I've had, and I absolutely love guacamole.

My partners get much more diverse fare there, and always enjoy it. My husband loves plantains, so he had the Che Guevara Burrito last time (plantains, sweet potatoes, beans, rice, barbeque sauce) and said it was fantastic. He's also had various of their bowls and salads and always says they're delicious.

Huge burritos, very filling, great taste combinations.

Pros: Large Portions, Tasty, Good Prices
Jeffrey
Jeffrey

Splendid!

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2010

We found this place just in the nick of time when my wife and little daughter were about to pass out from hunger and we couldn't find anything good to eat. It is sort of a fast food place, but a lot more casual and without the weird corporate atmosphere that the other fast food places seem to have.
As for the food, it was really good and healthy. They have lots of interesting burritos with unique flavors. Our daughter couldn't get enough of the sweep potatoes, and loved playing with the dinosaurs they put on every table.
If you have kids and want to go somewhere kid-friendly, this is it.

Pros: price, great food, healthy
HM
HM

Awesome

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2008

I've been in there a few times, and have never been disappointed. Of course, I'm vegan and I love vegan food that tastes good, and you have that.
My grandparents who I haven't seen in 4 years, "omnivores", came up today (saturday) to bring me some of my childhood memorabilia and we came to lunch there so that we could all eat our "kinds of food". My grandparents live in Coos Bay during the summer and Arizona during the weekend and eat out a lot, and my hard to impress grandpa said that his burrito was the best he had had in a very long time. My grandma agreed.
So, thanks for providing a place where we could all eat, and thanks for wowing them:)
Of course, I had your Thai Me Up burrito in a bowl form and was very satisfied... of course.

Pros: good food, impressed the hard to impress
rccourtney
rccourtney

Yummy burritos and bowls

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2008

I went here with my husband and we both love this place. I had the cuban bowl which was great and huge, I had enough left for another meal. It would be nice to have the option of a small order of this food but I understand this is not how restaurants make their money. Would definitely visit again.

Pros: large portions, friendly staff
Cons: large portions
buttercup
buttercup

beware

Posted on 02 / 19 / 2008

I feel it is necessary to say something about laughing planet cafe. I did not really ever ponder their prices until today. Ya sure the rice cheese awesome but... I bought a bean and cheese burrito. When you read the description for this burrito, it includes tillamook cheese. The cafe charges 4.25 for a burrito that includes the dairy cheese. The VEGAN version is 5.75
I called the cafe. The explaination went like this... The tillamook cheese is 75 cents. The burrito is 4.25 minus the 75 cents for not eating the dairy cheese. Therefore the vegan price is factored at 3.50 (the burrito price minus the real cheese) plus 2.25 for the rice cheese equals 5.75.
On top of the rice cheese (2.25) ...to vegan deluxe (add guac and vegan sour cream) is 2.50 This a total of 4.75 in upgrades to the 3.50 burrito. A total cost of 8.25 for the vegan. A non vegan pays a total of 6.50 for the same option. The burrito is 4.25 (which includes the dairy cheese) plus 2.25 for guac and dairy sour cream.

Yes, we have a special diet. We always end up paying more. This is a huge price difference. I feel the cafe is taking advantage of our dietary needs. Please just be aware of how much more a vegan ends up paying for a meal than a none vegan at the cafe.

Pros: rice cheese, fast, filling
Cons: vegan pricing
Eddie
Eddie

One of my favs

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2007

Burrito city. They have other stuff too, of course. What more can I say? This place is great. Not upscale, but clean, fast, and friendly. The prices are right, and I will probably be eating there next time I go out. No cons!

Pros: prices, food, location
jambot
jambot

Great Food

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2007

We are in Portland on vacation and needed a late night eatery, Laughing Planet was where we ended up. The black jack quesadilla with vegan rice cheese added was awesome. My boyf got the Che Guevera and was pleased as well. The prices are great we ate for under 20 bucks including and appetizer and a dessert cookie. The only "complaint" was that the pico de gallo had cilantro and we both hate cilantro, so if you also hate cilantro don't forget to ask for no pico (which i was smart enough to do but my boyf was not and suffered the cilantro-y consequences)

Pros: cheap, delicious, nice atmosphere
Cons: cilantro in the pico
michal
michal

so good!

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2007

i LOVE the fact that you can pick your favorite hot sauce! or, try em all and see which is your favorite! they had frank's red hot & i was happy. the che guevara was delicous, sweet potatoes & plantains in a burrito? delicious. great staff, nice outdoor seating, family-friendly. it was great, went a few times. also, REALLY good peanut butter chocolate brownie type cakes. oh and so affordable!

Pros: affordable & delicious, vegan deserts!, nice place, overall
tofutodd
tofutodd

Best cheap vegan eats in town

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2006

Even with the raised prices, their burritos are the cheapest in town that are wholesome to boot. The Che at $4.50 is unbeatable. They have vegan sourcream and cheese as well. I feel the one on Mississipii is better, however they don't have the salsa bar. The baked goods are a deal. You can sub tofu or tempeh for any meat. They have brown rice and whole wheat tortillas, with nutrional yeast at the counter to boot. They are many variations on burritos, I still miss raging buritto in atlanta though. Look for the daily specials as well.

Pros: Ecclectic burrittos, wholesome veggies, V meats, chees, sour crea
Cons: They serve meat, V. Deluxe burritos $7-8
prezeliz
prezeliz

good pseudo-Mexican food

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2006

We all love Laughing Planet, and most often eat at the one on Lovejoy and 21st. I always get the Nacho Mama, which is a perfect small lunch. My husband usually gets the Che Guevara burrito, and my son *always* gets a bean and cheese burrito. My daughter is less predictable. :-)

Pros: quick, good, simple food, good prices
Cons: crowded at lunchtime

Dear Owner and Manager of Laughing Planet Cafe - Belmont: