CLOSED: Latasha's

Serves meat, veg options available. Offers some vegetarian selections which are marked on the menu. Features South Indian cuisine. JAN 2014 location reported shut down but company still exists. Price: Moderate more-less
Indian, Buffet, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Petesternz
ThrowingMuse
ThrowingMuse

Best Indian In Perth

4 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2011

Last month, I gave Latasha's another go after a very lengthy break and must say I was very, very impressed (again!). The shopfront, whilst cluttered, has a lot of personality with an interesting variety of organic teas, bottled drinks (including young coconut juice) and books on vegan and whole food cooking. The owner was extremely helpful, and very clued on the vegan diet, offering help in identifying vegan dishes from the bain marie and the a la carte menu (most of them as it turns out as they don't use ghee). But the star was the food; home made with love and with the freshest ingredients - The dishes contained many curry leaves and cinnamon quills adding to their deep, complex flavours.

I have returned there about 3 times since, and have not experienced any diminishing returns in quality, if anything my opinion has only improved. What I love most about Latasha's is their willingness to introduce new and unusual dishes (from a western perspective). Examples that I love include a very spicy black eyed bean coconut curry, a sweet potato dry curry and to my delight, a mixed vegetable korma that used coconut cream instead of the usual cream. They also do a vegan desert, bean in a sweet coconut base that is certainly different but delicious to those with an open mind. This is a welcome relief from most Indian restaurants in Perth in which the vegan options are usually restricted to Dahl and a potato or mushroom curry (that's if they don't use ghee). In fact Latasha's has now set the bar so high that it will now be very difficult to eat Indian anywhere else in Perth.

Latasha's receives a fair amount of criticism for its price, particularly in regards to amounts charged for the extras such as chutneys and rice. Yes this is true, however keep in mind that they use the freshest quality ingredients and made from scratch so their food costs are going to be higher to start with. You can get around this problem by ordering a vegan Thali, which for $22 (at time of writing) includes 5 dishes, rice, salad, chutney, bread, and dessert. Fills you up for no extra costs, plus perhaps the only place in Perth in which a vegan thali is possible.

My main criticism towards Latashas is that although it is vegetarian friendly, meat features heavily on the menu. This fact makes itself evident on the Baine Marie, where the meat and vegetarin dishes sit side by side. The sitting areas is also a little on the chaotic side. Otherwise, this excellent eatery comes highly recomme

Pros: Exotic dishes, Fresh spices, Helpful staff
Cons: Serves meat, Seating
Gabriel
Gabriel

Great food at affordable prices

4 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2007

This place offers some of the best South Indian dishes that I have ever come across in Australia. I checked it out after it was recently named in the Bulletin as one of the 5 best regional places in Australia for this type of food. In fact it was the only one in Perth. Anyway, check it out I did and was I really thrilled. Of course, its offerings are mixed, ie both meat and vegetables. If you are truly vegetarian, then you will enjoy the exotic dishes that no other restaurant offers eg tomato and onion pachadi, avial, roasted vegetables curry and mixed lentil sambar. Thoroughly recommended.

Pros: Great simple decor, casual, reasonably priced
Cons: somewhat tight seating, no reservations for 2
Petesternz
Petesternz

The worst restaurant in Australia

1 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2007

Be warned. This was the worst meal I have ever eaten at a real restaurant (non-fast food category). There are lots of veggie choices specifically identified, and amazingly, there were people there. It's well decorated enough, but the food was awful. It is supposedly South Indian, but everything was horribly flavoured, over spiced and just completely disgusting. We left 90% of what we ordered right where it landed. BEWARE!!!!!! If my computer allowed, I would give it zero cows, but since the lowest I can give is a 1...

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Latasha's: