Small family run vegan Chinese restaurant near Radmansgatan tube. Serves green tea from its own tea farm in Taiwan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Taiwanese

First Review by Poundie

Still best vegan restaurant in Sthlm - for 10years

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2014

I went to Lao Wai again a week ago and I can confirm that it is still the only and best vegan restaurant in Stockholm and probably in Sweden as well! It is also the best vegetarian restaurant in Stockholm and probably the only vegetarian restaurant in Sweden which actually prepare the food AFTER you order it. All the others are more like lunch restaurants, makes you feel like you are back in school canteen. And this is shocking with us Swedes. We go to restaurants, vegetarian or ordinary non vegetarian restaurants, and we vegetarians as well as meat eaters pay a high price for food which was prepared en masse in the morning, not even expecting to receive freshly prepared food. Canteen food is the standard for most restaurants in Stockholm.

This makes me sad. We have basically only Lao Wai, which serves great food. However, in other European cities you have plenty of great restaurants like Lao Wai. In Sweden - only one for probably 15 years by now!

Lao Wai should not be considered to be the best restaurant, this should be normal standard for vegetarian food at least! The demands are really low in Stockholm.

OLD review

I have been here many times during the last years and every time I come back home to Stockholm I try to eat here. It is the best restaurants for vegetarian and vegans. Might be considered to be expansive but it is a real restaurant, it is worth every crown! Most of the other vegetarian restaurants in Stockholm only have buffets or small lunch menu with food more like in a canteen.

You must go here, it is worth it. Even when I was a poor student I would make sure I could go here some times every year.

Most other veg restaurants will make you disappointed after a visit to this one.
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 22, 2012

Pros: vegan high quality food, service, only veg rest which serves fresh food!
Cons: small place - reserver table! , noisy due the empty kind of basementwall, really! too small, noisy and dull atmosp

Fantastic restaurant

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

The food here is a bit expensive for me, but it is seriously worth every krona. It's well composed vegan food, with vegetables to fresh you can taste it. As a sober person, I enjoy their beverages. They have excellent beverages to go with the dinner, and their tea is lovely (the coffee too, I've heard). Don't miss this place!

I don't like tofu !!!

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2014

First, the restaurant has been renovated, so now it looks clean & stylish . When you go in, you smells a very appetizing smell from the kitchen.
All dishes based on Tofu.
I ordered the veg dish ( comes with rice )
with out tofu and the taste was great .
My girlfriend ordered a tofu dish and she loved it .

The price was a bit high , but we enjoyed .
The rest open till 22:00 but the kitchen works until 21:00 .

lack of information.

2 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

Everywhere you read open till 10 pm, but when you get there suddenly the kitchen is, of course, closed since 9 pm.

Try the homemade icecream and cappuchino

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2013

All vegan restaurant close to the centralstation in Stockholm. They make their own soy-based ice cream in different flavors which is really too good. They make their own soymilk aswell so the cappuchino is like a delicious desert. A lot of dishes with tofu in different sauces and rice. Great food, though quite expensive.

Pros: Excellent food, Make their own soymilk and ice-cream
Cons: Best to book a table, crouded, Expensive

Favorite vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

However difficult it might be to get a table here when out in the last minute, Lao Wai is still the best restaurant in town. The food is all vegan and all delicious!

Nice Chinese restaurant

4 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

Tasty Chinese vegan food. Small and crowded around lunchtime; reservation is a good idea.

Pros: good food, reasonable prices, friendly staff
Cons: small, odd opening hours

Spicy eastern vegan

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

A favourite since many years, borh at luch and dinner.
Has a running 2-weeks menu on lunches. Check homepage.
Since it is small and popular, be prpared to wait a little at lunchtime and best book table in advance for dinner.
Our favouritedishes: Ma Po Tofu and Gong Bao (evening).

A number one vegan place to visit in Stckhlm

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2013

Have been many times there, everytime it feels like I am having the best meal of my life.

Pros: delicious, own made soy ice-scream, friendly staff
Cons: small, you need to book in advance

Amazing vegan chinese food

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2013

This place has some of the best vegan chinese food I have ever eaten. It is not particularly cheap, though reasonable by the standards of Stockholm, but I totally recommend it. The menu is extensive and all the food we ate was delicious, the 'Nutty Delight' a chocolate and almond pannacotta, was a dream, every vegan should eat this once in their life. The portions are a good size, plenty of free water was offered and there are a great choice of teas.
The restaurant is quite small and you really need to book ahead, as I was travelling from the UK I was able to book my reservation by email beforehand but usually you should telephone. At 5.30am on a Wednesday evening this place was already busy so it's probably not a good idea to just turn up.

Pros: Exceelent food, All vegan, Friendly atmosphere
Cons: Limiited choice of desserts, Must book ahead, it does get busy

An amazing choice for the traveling vegan

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2013

I took a 40 minute walk to this restaurant based on reviews I read here at Happy Cow. And I was not disappointed at all. The food was amazing.

You should know before you visit that it is a VERY small restaurant with a tiny dining room. Reservations are a good idea. Otherwise, you may be standing outside in the cold.

Pros: Very tasty food, Very quick service, Mmmmm. Ginger water.
Cons: Very small dining room, Not the most friendly people, It's a bit out of the way

Heaven

5 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

Lao Wai is absolutely the best veggie place I have tried so far. Me and my carnivorous bf had fake chicken protein with veggies and peanuts in a spicy sweet sauce and bean curd with mince in chilli bean sauce and they were the best meals of our lives. I didn't manage to try the nutty delight but had some lovely cardamon ice-creams. I wish I had this restaurant in my town as I would be there at least once a week.

Pros: amazing food, great choice, friendly staff
Cons: not great choice of dessert, small, a bit expensive

Yum Yum Yum

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

What can we say, get Asian vego food, nice selection of teas, yummy icecream. As well as the great food, the service was good and food arrived hot and fresh. As others have commented, the place is small so you either need to go early or book ahead.

Pros: Great food, Great tea, Great icecream
Cons: A bit cramped, Remember to book ahead!!

Unique food

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2012

We recently visited this restaurant whilst in Stockholm after reading wonderful reviews about it.

Never having really eaten Chinese food before, I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was absolutely beautiful. Everything on the menu (which they could luckily supply in English!) is vegan and they had a lovely balance between 'fake meat' based dishes, tofu and vegetable based dishes. All choices offered us unknown ingredients and a wide variety of sauces.

The desserts were also wonderful-we tried the 'nutty delight' (almond and chocolate pannacotta with a sea buckthorn sauce), pistachio, cardamon and bergamot ice cream and also the panam leaf and coconut ice cream (my favourite!)

As other people have said, it was fairly expensive, though they provided us with tap water straight away which was kept topped up throughout, and rice was included with the meal and again topped up as required, so the price is as seen on the menu without racking up too much! The quality and portion size of the food (we shared 3 meals between 4 people to much satisfaction!) definitely made it worth it!

Pros: unique ingredients, excellent quality, friendly and helpful
Cons: need to pre-book, fairly expensive

Lovely vegan chinese food

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

We ate at Lao Wai last night - and it was a real treat for us. We loved being able to choose anything from the menu - and really enjoyed the food - we chose 3 different main courses betwee 4 of us and shared them, as the menu suggests.

The sweets were great too - we tried 2 of the ice-creams (we found the flavour combinations really worked well) and the chocolate panacetta.

It cost more than we'd usually pay for a meal (main 170 - 200 SEK; sweets 40 - 65 SEK) - but we thought it was worth it for a treat. We were glad we booked - several people were turned away as it was full. There were also people dropping in for takeaways.

Recommended to try if you can get to Stockholm!

Pros: Lovely food, Unusual ingredients, Helpful staff
Cons: Need to book

Excellent

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2012

This place served us the best Chinese food I have ever had, Everything on the menu was/is vegan! Beware the weird ice cream only for the adventurous! Good service, but you must make reservations or high risk of no space.

Pros: Excellent food, Great Flavours and textures, friendly staff
Cons: Not cheap but worth it.

Wonderful Vegan Find in Stockholm

5 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2012

Today we tried Lao Wai....loved it! As the previous reviews mention, it is a very small place. We arrived at about 11:30 and found a small table in the corner. We had the "Dagens" lunch for 100 SEK each. Today's selection was #22 on the evening menu but I can't remember all of the ingredients. But the flavors were fresh, spicy and absolutely delicious...down to the (almost) last grain of rice! We spend our summers in Stockholm and as fairly new vegans we find great joy in discovering restaurants that understand our eating values. I know we will visit Lao Wai often.

Pros: Vegan, Fresh, Delicious
Cons: Small

Expensive but worth it!

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2012

Great range of food for Vegans - starters were both excellent. Mains were good but desserts were best of all - try the rice ice cream and the vegan cheescake was delicious too!

Busy so you may need to book - great central location - nice decor.

Pros: Excellent range of food!, Tasty food!, Great service
Cons: Expensive

Small but great :-)

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2011

We had to book a table upfront because the restaurant is very small and there's a lot of demand. The staff was very friendly and the menu left a lot of choice. The food was really delicious and everything vegan or even gluten free. I only did not like the vegan prawns (weird texturee and no taste).

Pros: excellent food, everything vegan and gluten free, friendly staff
Cons: small location

A must if you're in Stockholm

4 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2010

I'd heard great things about Lao Wai and so booked a table to ensure I wasn't disappointed. I'm really glad we booked - this place is always busy!

A small restaurant with an open kitchen and very friendly staff - they have an English menu if you ask.

The food was fairly expensive (175 SEK for a main course) but wholly worth it in my opinion. Portions are a very good size and we both left feeling full and happy!

There was a good selection of tofu and other fake meats on the menu and what stood out for me was how flavoursome everything was - you could really taste the ginger, chilli and garlic.

A great little place that really lived up to its reputation!

Pros: Tasty, Authentic, Popular
Cons: Quite pricey

small but definitely one of the best

5 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2010

Small place, quite far but well connected to the center by bus and tunnelbana. One of the BEST VEGETARIAN RESTAURANTS in Europe. Not really expensive.

Pros: good food, beautiful place, friendly staff
Cons: small place , closes early (sweden!)

Delicious but pricey

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2010

The tastiest vegan food in Stockholm comes at a price... but it is definately worth it for special occasions - main courses average about 160kr. Also nice to finish off a meal with a vegan dessert that isn't just fruit! :)

Pros: excellent food, clean and nice atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: expensive

My favourite restaurant in Stockholm!

5 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2010

I ate around 7 different places in Stockholm in order to compare the different vegan selections and meals that were offered.

Lao Wai really stood out in comparison. So much that I had to go back twice despite being a bit short on money. I haven't usually been fan of chinese or very hot cuisines ,but the food had such great flavour and the vegetables were of excellent quality. That it in a sense convinced me to like even super hot food. The worst is that I picked the least hot main course on the menue and it still burned my tongue!

The prices may be exceptionally high for swedish standards. However that didn't bother me as its still cheaper than my own norwegian standards. Even if you pay the double for food, you really got some excellent crafted meals. The place was very well designed, small but very cosy. It was fun being able to see the family working on the food through the door to the kitchen.

Next time I will try to reach their lunch menues, unfortunately I only ate in the evening there. I can't wait to come back as I have yet to taste better prepared food

Pros: Food Quality, Interior, Selection

Amazing food!

5 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2009

I have to agree that this is the best vegan restaurant in Stockholm (even though there aren't that many.. :P) It's a very small, chinese restaurant, and if you want dessert you should come early (otherwise they may be sold out). All the food is wooked, and the dish is served in the middle of the table and you get a separate rice bowl, so everybody shares the dishes and takes some from them to their own rice bowl.
The food is great, the place is nice and clean, and the staff friendly. Only con is the size of the restaurant, it gets a bit crowded. However I recommend it to everybody!

Chinese vegetarian!

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2009

It's great to find a chinese vegetarian restaurant! They have a very good choice of meals, which are quite traditional chinese meals but without meat and a lot of mushrooms. The wine card is also excellent.
The interior design is modern and not like a traditional chinese restaurant. It's quite small and you should go there early.

Pros: Good food, Good wine

Greasy food

2 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2009

Me and my boyfriend tried this place after reading the reviews. But we were both very disapointed. The food was very oily and the environment was narrow and noisy. Sorry but we cannot agree with the other reviews.

Don't judge a restaurant by its name...

5 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2009

Most Caucasians who spent some time in China are probably familiar with the term "laowai" meaning a Caucasian foreigner and will have their own view on wether this is a derogatory term or not - whatever your view is, at Lao Wai in Stockholm you will certainly not feel as a foreigner!

I spent a very nice evening in this restaurant with a friend and we were both impressed by the high quality of the food - fresh, flavoursome and authentic. The wine menu was ok, but a white wine without a wine cooler is actually not so cool... However the selection of tea was exquisite!

The interior of the restaurant is plain and simple and thus makes it easier to focus on the excellent food :-)

I truly appreciated the attentive service and Herbie Hancock as background music was actually more than I could have ask for.

To put it in a nutshell if I would have to choose only one restaurant in Stockholm it would be Lao Wai.

Pros: Excellent food, Attentive staff, Smoke free

We liked it even though it wasn't perfect

3 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2008

My partner and I went here for dinner a few weeks back because the reviews were so good. We looked up the menu online and we had decided what we wanted before we went. Unfortunately neither of the starters nor main courses we had chosen were available that evening. We picked some other dishes and we were happy with them. The ingredients were all fresh and well prepared. We could see into the kitchen and it looked very professional and clean. We both enjoyed our meals very much. When it came to dessert we were informed that they were all sold out also! So, it was a bit disappointing even though we really enjoyed what we had. I'll probably go back another time because I'd still like to try the items that weren't available that night. If you are looking for a romantic setting I don't think this is the right place. It's very bright and the tables are very close together. Our table for two wasn't comfortable. We hadn't enough leg room so I had to sit awkwardly with my legs out to the side and neither of us are tall or large people. I can only assume that the other tables are better. I'd give the food 4 stars and the setting only 2 stars.

Pros: fresh tasty food, friendly staff
Cons: small and tables too close together, some dishes unavailable

Best vegan restaurant in Stockholm

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

Lao Wai is simply the best vegan restaurant in Stockholm, especially for dinner. Fantastic food and service. During lunch there is only one course (changing daily). Make sure you try the desserts (but beware that they're very often sold out) and soy cappuccino.

The restaurant is rather small so a reservation is recommended. If you go without a reservation and dont't get a table, the cafe Organic Green and the restaurant Malaysia are both extremely close, and the restaurant Kokyo is within 5-10 minutes walking distance.

great tastes

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2007

All sorts of delicious dishes on offer at this TW restaurant. Loved the small and comfortable dining area. Attentive service always makes this place a great experience. A bit spendy indeed but worth the price when you get the urge for some great, fresh faux meat TW cuisine. My favorite vegetarian restaurant in Sweden, not all that hard to find but it is outside of the general area a tourist might visit in Stockholm. Be warned that because it is a small family run business they might be closed or on holiday from time to time.

Pros: delicious, fresh, lovely atmosphere
Cons: expensive

Superb place

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2006

This was the best vegetarian/vegan eatery that I found in Stockholm. The service was old good, and the prices were steeper than other places in town, but otherwise everything was excellent, with delicious and extremely healthy food. Also, it is much cleaner than most of the other veggie places in town.

Pros: Healthy delicious food

Dear Owner and Manager of Lao Wai: