Serves meat, veg options available. Has a few vegetarian and vegan choices such as Sicilian vegan ricotta pizzas, vegan calzones, vegan eggplant bake, and the usual pizza vegetable toppings. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Beer/Wine, American, Pizza, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg

First Review by Mimi710
imightnotloveyou
imightnotloveyou

super meh

2 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2014

Very bland pizza. The two stars are for at least having a vegan option but it's pizza like this that gives vegan food a bad name.
I've called several locations to try and find out if the dough is vegan or if the cheese is made with animal rennet and no one seems to know anything about the ingredients.
Bottom line-pizza is bland, way overpriced and no one knows what's in it...dun dun dun.

breathingwater76
breathingwater76

Vegans Beware

2 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2012

I went to Lanesplitter a couple weeks ago. A man took our order. My friend ordered her items, including the "Vegan Herbivore". She mentioned having seen it in the display up front. She's not vegan but wanted to try it. I am vegan and severely lactose intolerant. I ordered the same thing. I, as I typically do in non-vegan restaurants, pointed to the item on the menu & specifically stated "Vegan". I order 3 slices because I'd barely eaten all day and was starving. It was my last day in CA before flying back to NYC. My first ever visit to Berkeley, & my one day to spend with my friend I hardly get to see. We were talking & eating, I commented that the cheese was very much like real cheese, as far as I could recall. When the waiter came to get the plates, after I'd eaten all 3 slices, I said "Wow, that vegan cheese is a lot like real cheese". He said "Oh, you wanted the vegan one"? I said "Yes, that is what I ordered". So I spent about an hour or more barfing in their bathroom, which, after chemo, I really bleeping hate, and then we went to get some lactose digestive pills that cost me $12! The waiter apologized and comped most of our meal, although he did charge us for a drink which I felt was really lame. He should have comped us AND offered us what we really order to go so I could eat vegan pizza after I barfed up the rest. I can't get that time back, but Lanesplitter can fix their menu. If you offer a vegan version of a non-vegan pizza give it an entirely different name. Apparently they have one called "Herbivore" and one called "Vegan Herbivore". I've been vegan a very long time so I am good at being specific. The waiter didn't ask us "vegan or non-vegan" so I had no reason to believe he had not heard me say "vegan". Plus, I had not seen on the menu that that particular pizza came as anything but vegan. Pointing at the menu should have made it obvious. It ruined my last day in CA, which makes me sad. Very disappointing & stomach upsetting visit.
Updated from previous review on Sunday December 23, 2012

Pros: Location, Atmosphere
Cons: Service, Unclear Options, Unspecific Menu
Vaja
Vaja

hit or miss - mostly miss...

1 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2011

I have been extremely disappointed in Lanesplitters recently. I normally order the Herbivore pizza with their vegan cheese option Sicilian style. The last couple of times I've ordered it have been misses. I have decided that I just can't take a chance on them anymore as their pizza is not cheap.
What I liked:
-Good sauce! I usually order it with a side of extra sauce because I like it so much.
-Yummy thick Sicilian style dough (when its actually cooked through and not completely black).
My complaints:
-The vegan ricotta tastes so much like Tofutti cream cheese and plain tofu that it is bland and boring. It's not hard to make a decent tasting tofu ricotta without using Tofutti which tastes fake like plastic, imo. Not to mention that every time I have gotten this pizza the ricotta is still cold which is gross.
-the dough which is usually my favorite part of this particular pizza is hit or miss as sometimes it's not cooked all the way through and you get raw dough in the middle which completely ruins the experience for me, I stated asking for it "well done" which sometimes means having to deal with a completely burnt crust. Ugh!
-The last time I ordered this pizza it smelled like a wet dog! It was so unappetizing that I couldn't even eat it and that's saying a lot! The onions seemed strange and the spinach was revolting, and the mushrooms seemed like they hadn't been cleaned. That sealed the deal for me, never again!

Pros: vegan options, good sauce, yummy dough
Cons: tofu ricotta is tasteless, nasty tasting produce, cold and uncooked dough

Humanicide
Humanicide

PIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

4 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2009

I'm pretty much in love with any place that makes a vegan pizza, and a vegan pizza with "cheese". It's tofu ricotta, but it's delicious. The whole pizza is huge as well.

Pros: PIZZA, PIZZA, PIZZA
Katka
Katka
  • raw

Beer. Vegan. Conventional. Everybody Wins.

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

I've had their vegan pizza slice and vegan calzone. Both were scrumptious and reasonaably priced.

They are open late (past 1AM), so you can hit it up when the munchies hit.

Pros: Good vegan "cheese", Can get a table, They have slices!
Cons: Open late, Post-bar hop eatery
Mimi710
Mimi710

delicious!

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2007

Delicious vegan pizzas! (Even if half of your pizza falls off of your plate onto the table in a drunken state - it tastes good eaten off of the table too.) You can buy by the slice or get a whole pizza. They stop doing whole pizzas past a certain point though. Open until 2am!

Pros: yummy vegan pizzas, quick service, open late
Cons: can't get whole pizzas if it's too late

Dear Owner and Manager of Lanesplitter Pizza: