Landia vegetarisches und veganes restaurant. Vegetarian cafe in a casual and colorful setting. Vegan except for some cheeses which are not. Food is prepared daily and displayed in glass case at the counter. Organic beer and wine served. Non-smoking. Directions: turn up the Neubaugasse from the Mariahilferstrasse, walk 4 minutes on the left side (you pass two roads off to the left in the proceeds) until you reach the Reformhaus Buchmaller (health store). Between this shop and the dry cleaners opposite is a covered pedestrian footpath that takes you up some low steps, past a small apartment block complex & through to Ahornergasse, almost to the Landia front door. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Western, Asian, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by aFormerClarity
heywood100
heywood100

Not totally my cup of tea, but still done well

3 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2012

I first tried to go to Landia a year ago, and after schlepping around Vienna for quite a while trying to find it's slightly obscure location, I arrived only to be told that they were shutting early due to a lack of custom. However, on my next trip to Vienna, I managed to go again after much effort (it really is a bit tough to find), and found it in a much healthier situation.

The staff were very friendly, and patient with our poor attempts to pronounce things in German and our need to have certain bits of the menu explained to us. The food itself was...well, I feel that I can't be too harsh on it, as I am coming to the realisation that I'm simply not a big fan of central European cuisine. A lot of the food is vegetarian and vegan equivalents of traditional dishes from this part of the world, like goulash and schnitzel. In that sense, they were perfectly successful, I just find much of the local food a bit bland it seems. To reiterate, the problem is with me, not them, I think Landia did a good job of what it was trying to do.

Excepting my taste issues, the place was very nice, a cosy atmosphere, friendly staff, good beer, and a reasonable price. If you're up for potatoes, breadcrumbs, cheese and 'ham', this seems like a fine choice.

SimonaSignorelli
SimonaSignorelli

nice vegetarian cafe

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

Vegetarian and vegan cafe with soups, salads, main dishes i.e. pita bread, falafel, noodles, veg curry, desserts.

Pros: nice food, nice staff, good location
Cons: small choice
piratechick
piratechick

great place for vegans

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2012

We had a celebration there, and the staff was super friendly. They made a vegan menu for us with a choice of cordon bleu or Zwiebelrostbraten (Austrian speciality: pan-fried seitan and onion gravy). The servings were huge, and I don't think I've ever had a better vegan meal at a restaurant. Also: vegan cocktails!

Pros: super friendly, great food, vegan cocktails
Cons: a bit hard to find (but we managed)
Tara HD
Tara HD

Good vegan selection of typical Austrian food

4 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2012

I am not a great fan of veganized meat dishes but wanted to try out this place. I had "Gulasch mit Semmelknödel" (goulash with bread dumplings) which was good but nothing special and a very yummy cake. I also also tried from the cake my friend had which was excellent too. The atmosphere is nice and the waiter was very friendly. Overall Landia left a good impression on me but will not become my favorite.

Pros: mostly vegan dishes, friendly staff
Cons: focus on meat substitutes
xeasyx
xeasyx

Fine restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2012

Good menu, most meals are vegan or have vegan options. I do not drink wine but they offer a huge range of it.
Food is delicious, atmosphere is fine and some vegan cakes

Pros: delicious food, nice atmosphere, good prices
VeganJulia
VeganJulia

Awesome cooking!

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2011

Every dish can be made vegan! -> big selection
Very friendly staff, and instead of just frying some veggies, served with rice, they have dishes that really make me think "Wow, I couldn't have made that myself"!

33rpm
33rpm

Typical austrian dishes vegan-style

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2011

The restaurant is located close to the city's main shopping street, i was tired of all the bustle there and so i decided to go for this place.

It took me some time to find though, it's not too easy to find if you're not a local.

I like the style of the restaurant, it has lots of small nice tables, some are even outside the restaurant. You choose by menu card where you get offered several typical austrian meals vegan-style. I chose the "rinderrostbraten" with dumplings.
The taste was quite good, but nothing special.

The restaurant itself is mixed vegan-vegetarian.

Pros: close to mariahilferstraße
Cons: difficult to find for non-locals
Senkenberg
Senkenberg

Favourite in Vienna

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2011

I only found this on my last visit in November 2010. Excellent vegan choice and good quality cooking, sort of gastro pub vibe, ie waiter service but relaxed ambience with a central bar you could also stand at and have a beer. Well worth the slight walk, even in November, and area is safe and pleasant. Looks impossible on Google Maps, but there's a pedestrian passage (past a health shop!) from Neubaugasse onto Ahornergasse. As almost everywhere in Vienna, cuisine is primarily mock-meat orientated.

Pros: Food quality, Vegan Choice, Helpful service
Cons: 20 minute walk beyond the Ring
andrea
andrea

Local Foods Veganized

5 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2010

Our Viennese friends took us here, so we didn't have to worry about finding it! The people are really friendly and did speak some English, but it's really best to learn some food words anyway as a travelling vegan.

My husband got the Cordon Bleu seitan, just one of the best vegan main dishes we've ever had. Amazing. I had a schnitzel thing. Also fantastic. Can't remember the sides, but they were good too. Our friend got the celeriac breaded cutlet, which was incredible. Good beer selection, but only one on tap. Prices are super-reasonable, especially for Vienna. And vegan desserts! The chocolate coconut cake was very good, but not super-rich or gooey.

Pros: FOOD, Prices, Clean & Friendly
Edz
Edz

Quite sweet

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2010

Tucked away in a side street off one of Viennas less touristy, but equally busy, districts. Very pleasant staff, one of the two spoke very good English. We choose two seitan-filled pittas which were delicious and filling. Extensive range of drinks and all for a reasonable price (cheap for vienna).

+ Vegan cakes!

We wish this place was in London

xvegankx
xvegankx

Very nice place

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2010

It's a really nice place. Not easy to find when it's quite dark though.
The food is delicious and not expensive at all.
We had the meal of the day which costed almost 7 euros. It was couscous with a lot of vegetables. We also had a dessert. Chocolate cake (3 euros) and a sort of cookie cake (4euros).
They are really friendly and speak English very well.
The only con was that you can still smoke in there (in a seperate part of the place).

Pros: price, food, service
Cons: smoking area
roxette521
roxette521

Delicious and friendly

5 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2010

There is no English menu here and only one person speaks English. However, you can get "menu" or plate of the day without much German. It's big and delicious, and usually vegan (if you ask, vegan is vegan in German :). They have a delicious hemp beer (Hanfbier), and the desserts are great, especially the blueberry pie with almonds MMMMM (also vegan). The food leans towards Indian, but also has some traditional Austrian things like fried onion. They will make almost anything vegan here. It's also affordable. Plate of the day with a beer and a dessert runs you only 12 euro (pretty cheap in Vienna).

Pros: Delicious, Good value
Cons: Smoking allowed on one side, No English menu
wildfang
wildfang

Great food, relaxing place, perfect!

5 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2009

Landia is a great place. The food is lovely. I remember we tried the Landia pita with aubergine and saitan which was delicious and a soup. We tried the lassis (mango and raspberry) which were very tasty as well, though rather like milk than like lassi.
We paid around 18€ for two people including drinks, so not bad for Vienna.
There is a non-smoking area! So good.

Powerbex
Powerbex

Austrian, Vegan

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

Great little place. Menu is very Austrian with gulash, schnitzel, sausages etc almost everything is vegan or can be made vegan. Food very tasty and service was great :)

jayober
jayober

excellent vegetarian cafe in vienna

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2009

Had a good meal at Landia. The staff doesn't speak much english but are super friendly. And there isn't an english menu so bring your dictionary. Items are marked vegan or vegetarian. everything we ordered (wine, goulash, samosas, blumenstrese??) was quite good, so you really can't go wrong here.

Pros: tasty food, vegan and veg, organic wine
Cons: little english
aFormerClarity
aFormerClarity

Local Cuisine!

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2009

Great to eat vegan local cuisine - variations of traditional meat and snitzel dishes. Really friendly personal and a great variety of organic drinks.

Pros: great food, nice staff
Cons: the price, located on a backstreet

Dear Owner and Manager of Landia: