Serving Caribbean influenced soul food in a colorful African art atmosphere. Sample menu items might include tempeh reuben sandwich, curried potatoes, marinated eggplant, teriyaki mushroom, and raisin-sweet potato. Offers a combo meal platter. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Caribbean, Soul Food, American

First Review by cshaw11
HeatherSwindell
HeatherSwindell

Delicious, different - a vegan haven in Columbia.

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2014

I was surprised to find that there is a vegan restaurant in Columbia, but I was eager to give it a try. I was lucky to come in on their first day open after a new owner/operator took charge. Their menu changes daily, so you can't count on being able to order the same thing twice in a row. You order at the counter before picking a place to sit.

I ordered the BBQ nuggets with sides of brown rice, kale salad, and roasted potatoes. The BBQ nuggets were a store-bought frozen brand (I don't know what kind), but they were well-prepared, crunchy and delicious, topped with a savory, tangy BBQ sauce and roasted slices of onion and red and green bell peppers. It was my favorite part of the meal. I only wish there had been more of it on my plate!

The kale salad (which I'd expected to be raw) was cooked, so it was more like collard greens than a salad. I'm not a fan of cooked greens, so I didn't care for it.

The roasted potatoes were nicely cooked, just a wee bit crunchy on the outside (they were a bit like fries, only in chunks).

The portion size was generous, which pleased me - nothing is worse than sparing portions at $10+. The price wasn't bad.

The d├ęcor is African-inspired and feels a bit overwhelming and dark. The staff is very friendly and attentive.

All in all, I enjoyed eating here and look forward to coming back and trying other dishes.

EDIT: 1 August 2014

I've since tried several other entrees and their mac 'n cheeze, all of which have been wonderful.

They've added teas to the menu, as well as lemon- or limeade options.

The decor is still African-themed, but it has been toned down and the walls have been painted to brighten the space - it feels much lighter and brighter!

Lamb's Bread Vegan Cafe continues to learn and grow, and I've no doubt they will become a landmark restaurant in Columbia.

Pros: Generous portions, Very friendly, attentive staff, Brighter, simplified decor
Cons: None! They've made some great changes
Doggiedoc
Doggiedoc

Delicious, fast, friendly

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2014

We had a two plates full of side dishes- purple cabbage, collard greens, ochra, yams, Mac and "cheese", potatoes, lentils, and brown rice. All were delicious, comforting and healthful. I would gladly eat here again.

Ned Harding
Ned Harding

fantastic!

5 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2013

We have been to vegan restaurants all over the world and this is one of the best. They made special food not on the menu for the kids, which they enjoyed, although maybe not as much as the adults enjoyed their meals. Fantastic food and super friendly. Highly recommended.

Pros: unique food, friendly people
Cons: none
ljjennings
ljjennings

SO GOOD!

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2013

Lamb's Bread is THE place to be for some vegan soul food! Management has always been friendly, food has always been great. It may seem a little pricey sometimes, but the portions are worth it. Go see them on North Main Street!

proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

a favorite!

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2013

i've eaten at lamb's bread multiple times over the past few years and have never been disappointed. the food has always been on point, and the staff has been welcoming & friendly.

if you're in the area, give this place your support.

Pros: food, staff, price
Hanauc
Hanauc

Go 4 the funky African ambiance; food is tasty 2

4 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2012

Large plate with 1 protein and 3 sides was plenty for two. Mock sausage was spicy but good. All sides very fresh and good. We had purple cabbage, butternut squash, curry potatoes. Sorrel drink was different and very good. Decor is all African art, masks. Incense burning in man room and bathrooms was at first a bit strong but you get used to it. Cozy.

Pros: Fresh, tasty food, Near 77: easy access, Good value
Cons: Decor could be overwhelming for some, Incense could be verwhelming for some
brandon.niles
brandon.niles

Breath of Fresh Air

4 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2012

On my way to Barnwell, SC, I was nervous about finding a place for great vegan food. Luckily, the Lamb's Bread Vegan Cafe was on the way in Columbia, and I was able to enjoy delicious vegan food and excellent service.

I highly recommend the purple cabbage, but my friend and I both loved everything we ordered and we were thrilled with the decor and the friendliness of the staff.

If I'm ever in the area again, I will definitely come back!

Pros: Food, Service, Price
nvlvstv
nvlvstv

Why didn't I go sooner?

5 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2012

Had the tempeh reuben sandwich and the teriyaki shitake mushroom dinner with rutabagas and curried potatoes....amazing!! And the owner is adorable, as is his daughter(?)...very clean, very friendly, and very yummy!!

Ganeshaka
Ganeshaka

Vegalaxy-funka-delicious-mazing omigodbest-I-ever8

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2011

Imagine if Sun Ra had been a cook and opened a restaurant with decor cherry-picked from the West African Anthropological Collection in George Clinton's Funkchamber on the P-Mothership. OK? Can U dig it? Masks? Mute carvings. A giant wooded Boa. Elephants. In Brass. In Ebony. In Cowry...Shazaam you are inside Lamb's Bread Vegan Cafe! Now meet the cook/owner/vegan-of-45 years Khuru. He's an elegant Afro-American man (and I suspect - a Venusian shaman, too -feathers and all)...and above ALL a Benevolent Culinary Djinn.

But I digress, I digress...I doubt - SERIOUSLY - there is a finer Vegan restaurant in the USA. I ordered the one protein, w/three vegey sides $12.49 Plate. My wife ordered the smaller plate, w/two veg sides. Mistake! Too much food!!! We had to take home 2/3rds...or forever be labelled gluttons in our own Pilgrim's Progress.

We partook of the best EVER pinto beans, eggplant marinara, biotic rice, raisin-sweet potato, yellow squash and onion. All seasoned subtly to perfection. The mock meatballs could swing a Tony Soprano to the V-side. My wife and I shared the Sorrel drink, which was ginger, hibiscus, magic,and moonbeans...an elixir like like like the smiling teardrops from Marilyn's eyes when Joe DiMaggio got down on one knee & proposed. Dee-D D-Dum, D-D, dah dah...Oh Mrs. Robinson!

Even the plates were unique...mine was blue and gold, square and mosaic-a-delic. Hers was round and floral and swirling.

Restaurants like this are usually found only on the Astral Plane. Get yourself to Columbia, SC before the Cosmic Force Lines shimmer or shake or xsplode and this Delisha-catesen vanishes like a Fata Morgana.

Truth!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 19, 2011

KrisDuVall
KrisDuVall

My favorite place ever!

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2011

I try to make the hour plus drive to Columbia to visit this place as often as I can. I love everything, can't even name a favorite dish. Also the staff is very friendly, and the atmosphere is so relaxing and welcoming. I can't wait to go back!

Pros: amazing food, amazing staff, amazing atmosphere
Cons: parking lot seems small
halfthejob
halfthejob

My Favorite Vegan Resteraunt

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2011

Lamb's Bread Vegan Cafe is my favorite vegan restaurant. I am regularly in Columbia for business and stop in to eat at Lamb's Bread every time. Sometimes (depending on my travel schedule), I will pick up several to go meals to bring back home to my wife and children who are several hours away from Columbia! Not only is the food and staff great, but I find myself inspired to cook foods new and creative ways after eating at Lamb's Bread.

Pros: delicious food, great staff, an every changing menu
tinamarie
tinamarie

Great Food!!

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2011

I took the advice of the previous reviews and went to Lambs Bread and it was delicious!! Great tasting food, large portions, and great price. Very friendly people too!!

hippublican
hippublican

Awesome!

5 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2010

My husband & I ate here for a late lunch/early dinner & it was great. The building isn't in great shape, but it's nicely decorated and clean.
The woman working at the counter was amazing and very nice. She explained the menu to us & gave us recommendations.
The food only took 5-10 minutes (we were the only ones there, but still). I ordered the bean curd stew which was very tasty and had a great texture. My husband got the pepper steak strips, which were even better! Very spicy and flavorful. We enjoyed our sides too, which were home fries (perfectly cooked), lima beans, and rutabaga.
The food was great and the service couldn't have been better. We're told the menu changes daily, so we'll definitely be back.

Pros: reasonably priced, friendly service, excellent food
Kangarupe
Kangarupe

Great experience!

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2010

I recently stopped by Lamb's Bread Cafe on my way through Columbia. Since it was on the way I figured I had to check out the only Vegetarian restaurant Columbia offers.

Lamb's Bread offers an afro-carribean style of interior, complete with drums and wooden figures all over the place with the kitchen hidden from sight, and a small counter visible in the back.

The lady I spoke with (apparently the owners daughter) was incredibly nice, and I enjoyed speaking with her.

I had previously ate, so I unfortunately was not incredibly hungry and did not order one of the larger dinner plates. Instead I went with the mock chicken sandwich which was a pretty standard setup: patty, lettuce, tomato, veganaise, toasted bread. It was fantastic. As I spoke with the lady I discovered that they brought the patty in from another source. Regardless it was still one of the best mock chicken patties I had ever tried. The meal also came with a sweet potato souffle which had apple, raisins, and coconut. It too was absolutely fantastic.

I don't go to Columbia often, but when I return I will definitely be coming back. And if you pass through Columbia, SC you should help out the biz by stopping in.

I am giving Lambs Bread 4 stars. It is worth the full 5, but I have to reserve that for the restaurants like The Laughing Seed in Asheville, NC that have gone above and beyond on food, environment, location, etc. However, don't let that dissuade you!

Pros: Staff, Food, Proximity to I-26
Cons: I think the A/C was broken/wasn't on :/ , ...nor were the ceiling fans on.
hoffmans2
hoffmans2

Amazing

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

We went in April or May 2010. The decor was fabulous, the staff was super friendly, and the food was out of this world. We enjoyed lasagna and strawberry-chocolate cake. The carrot-ginger juice was amazing and so was the natural orange soda. This is a memorable place to dine with very distinctive food. We live 2 hours away and want to drive back just for the food!

Pros: Food, Staff, Decor
Plattburger
Plattburger

Healthy southern goodness

4 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2010

I was visiting Columbia with my father, Eugene Platt to deliver his petition signatures for his State House 115 race and as a reward for helping was allowed to choose a place he would treat us and 3 other supporters to. So I brought these four carnivores here with me and all were very impressed and satisfied. As a vegan from San Francisco I've been to a lot of outstanding restaurants and so I can't say it was one of the best I've been to, but certainly the best I've been to in Columbia and one of the best in SC.
The decor is set up like an African museum and very cool. The owner and staff were very friendly and helpful and service was very quick as the food was prepared already. Organic sodas and smoothies were available, disappointingly they were served in styrafoam cups.
I left feeling satisfied and healthy and would like to try it again as their menu changes often.

Pros: Cheap, Fast, Friendly service
Cons: Styrafoam
cshaw11
cshaw11

Lambs Bread Review

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2010

I was driving through Columbia, SC and had seen some reviews about this place on other sites, so I thought I would give it a try. As far as I know its the only vegan restaurant in Columbia and I thought it was fantastic. The staff was very friendly and the food was great. The decor inside is very unique, but I liked it. They also serve big portions and I thought it was well priced.

Pros: vegan, tasty food, good value
Cons: limited options

Dear Owner and Manager of Lamb's Bread Vegan Cafe: