All vegan restaurant, friendly owner (Bee). Located on Had Lamai 4, which is thought of as an unnamed street, a little north of the gas station and morning market (same side of the street). Sometimes offer a buffet consisting of a couple dishes and a soup. Has a menu other times which includes Thai dishes with mock meat options. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Thai
138/14 Moo 4 Maret Lamai Beach (Had Lamai 4)
Koh Samui, Thailand 84310 Suratthan

OnDine
OnDine

Excellent food

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2015

This place is awesome and cute. We went there for lunch a few days ago. The woman running the place is very friendly and explained her one-dish brown rice policy to us. It was very delicious, healthy and cheap (50b). Serving size could be bigger but I guess one would need to pay more than. Unfortunately we could not go a second time as she closed the restaurant for one month or so to go to India and learn meditation.

Pros: Healthy, 100% vegan, delicious, cheap, English spe
Cons: one dish only
beancurdled
beancurdled

happy place

Posted on 01 / 01 / 2015

If you stay awhile in Lamai and eat here more than once, it's impossible not to become friends with the restaurant's sole owner/ operator, Bee. The cute, cartoon bee on the sign out the front reflects here bright personality, buzzing energy, and perhaps the sting in her tail! Bee is an awesome, strong woman and I really appreciated all our chats.

She runs the restaurant on her own so, yes, if you arrive and she's out the back cooking, you might wait a while to be served. Relax! You're on an island in Thailand, what's the hurry? If you're really hungry, grab yourself a bag of crunchy, sweet and sour, dried soya chunks with lime leaves from the counter as an appetiser. They're packaged to go along with a range of fake sausages and burgers made in house which pack a protein punch on long bus rides, so stock up if you're moving on. There's quite a range of other vegan grocery items. I bought a couple of Thai spice powders and pastes to take home as a reminder of my trip and meals eaten at Lamai Veggie.

I spent over a week in Lamai and lost count of the number of times I ate here. Every time I intended to try something cooked to order from the menu, particularly the papaya salad, but always ended up tempted by the daily set menu. Don't expect an all-you-can-eat buffet style - the image above of a customer serving herself could be misleading. A bowl of brown rice (which in Thailand is actually red/purple) with two dishes will be brought to your table. For 50 baht, I always found it a nicely filling lunch.

Any inconsistency in the opening hours could be because Bee cooks a load of extra food on the days when Thai Buddhists eat vegetarian (perhaps the 1st and 15th of the lunar calendar, like in Vietnam?) and then takes the following day off.

Looking forward to visiting again some day.

Pros: brown rice, healthy food
Cons: not open for dinner
An Drew
An Drew

Amazing Food And A Great Atmosphere!

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2014

Delicious food, the owner is lovely and speak good English, very cheap. The 'vinegarish' tea that someone spoke about earlier is kombucha tea and it's absolutely delicious and nutrient rich. Bee the owner is very helpful and wrote me a paragraph explaining what I eat for others. I'm now a regular... :)

Pros: Delicious Food, Cheap, Vegan
Cons: None!!!

mikeybutt
mikeybutt

amazing and simple!

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2014

it's 50 baht for an amazing plate of food. the menu changes everyday so you get whatever she's cooking that day. it was AMAZING. such simple dishes just loaded with flavor. we added the extra soup for 30 baht also it was a hearty stew. really delicious. I also loaded up on the spicy soya meat sticks. I'm addicted to them now. if you ever liked a slim jim or a morning sausage get these for sure!

Pros: simple and delicious
Andrewrgibbs
Andrewrgibbs

Simple and honest food

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2014

A small, very nice restaurant. The owner clearly puts a lot of effort into her establishment, and rightly so.

When we (me, my wife and 3 year old daughter) ate, there was only a set menu; soup and then noodles. And only a very vinegary tea to drink. The food was really nice, but the tea was an acquired taste, to say the least.

All things considered though, we'd eat there again.

We tried to eat here twice; the times listed online are likely wrong; it was closed on a Sunday at 3:30, but open the following Monday at 12:30.

If you're worried about trying to find it, the map location is bang on.

Pros: cheap, tasty
Cons: limited selectionc some days
Fulanito123
Fulanito123

Ok food but beware on bill

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

The food is ok. Owner was nice until the last time I went.

Last time I went I got a quite small portion. The owner sat down to talk to me. Then she asks if I want some more. I was not that hungry but accepted as she was so friendly. Afterwards, however, she charged me double.

She charged me for two meals even though she offered me more as if it was a free refill. That has never happened to me before, that someone in a restaurant asks if I want more and then charges me for it afterwards (and without saying so before). I was so surprised when I paid, that I did not protest.

I never came back as most restaurants can make you vegetarian/vegan food if you ask.

Pros: not so spicy, nice furniture etc
Cons: prices are not clear, veggie burgers not that good
AngelaDatlen
AngelaDatlen

Great food, lovely owner

Posted on 05 / 01 / 2014

This was a lovely place, really nice set menu for 50 Baht. Bee, the owner, is a gem- very friendly, kind lady who is passionate about veganism.

matkat1989
matkat1989

Wonderful Vegan food!

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

All vegan - food is incredible and the owner is super friendly and cooks everything herself. It's really cheap (like 50baht a meal and the takeaway buffet - one or two options - is 30baht). It's a little hard to find, the map on here is wrong but it's totally worth it! Also sells lots of lovely vegan treats we had deep fried crunchy soy beans with sweet and sour sticky sauce!

veggiebubble
veggiebubble

Nice little place

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2014

We enjoyed eating here on a few occasions. As others have said the owner is very friendly and you have the option between menu and pre-made food. It's a little more expensive than standard thai vegetarian places but it definitely caters better for tourists and is right by the beach. Definitely worth a visit!

Pros: Good food, Friendly owner, Convenient location by beach
Cons: Little more expensive (still cheap!)
LukasCech
LukasCech

Great food and very friendly owner

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

It's a very nice little restaurant with plenty of options - all vegan. The owner, Bee is very friendly and has been vegan for 7 years. Inexpensive, good choices and tasty!

Pros: many options, good quality food, inexpensive
Cons: portions a bit smaller than other places
rokkarolla
rokkarolla

great food friendly people

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2013

Great food friendly people. Vegan recipie is freshly cooked everyday in a nice and relaxed environment! :-)

radtechg9
radtechg9

Great experience at Veggie Lamai

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2013

A bit tough to find. As you enter Lamai the street you are looking for is on the side of the road where the ocean would be. Between a larger gas station and an apparently unnamed food market with a structure above it. It was not easy to find a local who knew where we were asking directions to. As you turn down the street look to the right several stall down from the market, on the same side....look for a circular red and yellow sign. Bee was great to me. We had conversation about veg nutrition and veganism. We talked about elephant conservation and the increase in pet and stray animal care on the Island. She made me a huge pile of veggies because after all the noodles and rice I had I just wanted vegetables. She took pictures with me and a patron wrote in Thai for me a paper that said that essentially 'no animal products' and they taught me how to properly ask for that (chan gin j....phonetically). Food was great, she was great. ..well worth the frustration to find amongst the sea of dress shops and regular food stands. Also Bee speaks English so no worries about that if you didn't brush up on your Thai before you came :)

Pros: excellent healthy food, great locals contact with like minded people, good value
Cons: hard to find
Greensalad1971
Greensalad1971

Very tasty

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2013

Hi! I spend much time in Lamai each year and even if iam not a "full time" vegetarian i visit Lamai veggie a few times/week. Its very cheap dishes and wonderfull settings on the plates Bee, the owner, manage to do for that low price.I dont think any meal from the menu cost more then 80 baht?!And the 3-4 pots with already cooked food you can take away is only 30 Baht-Cant be better :-). Someone wrote that she didnt smile but i have the opposite experience. She actually sit down and chat very much with the customers that been there during my 50-70 visits:-).Overall she is charming lady but it can sometimes be stressfull when guests arrive at the same time she is out in the kitchen.I think the best solution is patiente.Its a small resturant but i think she runs it more then well and as i said before the food is very yummi.

Peace from cold Europe

anjobaba
anjobaba
  • fruitarian

HAppy Cow, but sad people.

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

I was lucky to find the restaurant empty so I was able to order and eat within a decent amount of time. But if the lady is busy cooking you have to wait her for order and make your food since there is only one person working there.
I tryed the Veggi Burger 70bhat. The bread was huge for a burger and the soy-meat was very small. so most of the bites where just bread only. had to buy 2 extra sausage to eat with the bread. at the end I was charged more for the burger 80bha: often in thailand they mistake in the bill but somehow always charging more. anyway..over all the place is ok. but the lady was alone and she was quite stressed (at least when i have been there) she didnt smile at all.
I have been back again and the owner was busy cooking far back in the kitchen, she couldnot listen to me. so had to wait 10 minutes for just take-away already-made food.
the already-made food is all spicy (basically for thai people) so if you want a non spicy you have to order a la carte.

Pros: Veg food, good position near market
Cons: Long time waiting, not so happy place/ not so friendly, wester veg food need improvement
PatriceHeitz
PatriceHeitz

Bon p'tit restaurant vegetarien à Lamai

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

Je vous conseille vivement ce restaurant végétarien ou vous
pouvez déguster différents plats à base de soja, riz et légumes. Bee vous préparera ces petits plats plus ou moins pimentés selon vos souhaits.En tout cas vous y serez bien accueillis.

Pros: excellent plats, bon rapport qualité prix, acceuil sympathique et convivial
vtraveller
vtraveller
+2064

great find!!

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2012

While this little shop doesn't have a huge menu, it's a great find considering the limitations in the area. The owner is very nice and speaks good English. I had a masaman curry which I was very happy with. On Buddhist holidays (and maybe other occasions) there are some set dishes offered. You can get that for only 25baht takeaway. Very reasonable prices.

Pros: All Vegan, Nice owner, good food
AkashaBertozzi
AkashaBertozzi

great cheap vegan food !!

Posted on 11 / 26 / 2011

we eat here a lot, bee the owner is a passionate vegan and she cooks great food in her little kitchen ! also buffet and take away. we loved it !

Pros: food, price, owner

Dear Owner and Manager of Lamai Veggie: