Chinese restaurant serving vegetarian food and using different kinds of soymeat. Sample items include sweet and sour veggiemeat, spicy vegbeef with black pepper and veggies, plus loose leaf teas, bubble tea, and more. Nice setting. Confirmed open June 2012. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by NicolaKnits
LaurenRees
LaurenRees

Amazing!

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

This was one of the best restaurants I've ever been too!! Highly recommend!

Pros: Amazing food, Nice staff, Excellent price
bforder
bforder

My Favorite Vegetarian Restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

I've been going to Lake Tai forever and I know the family quite well. I love everything on the menu. This place is a sanctuary for me. Rose is a true friend to her customers and provides outstanding service. Have a chat with her if it's not busy =) Her husband sometimes comes out for a smile & wave, but he's usually just focused on doing his thing... Cooking up some of the best vegetarian restaurant food in Western Canada! He was once a personal chef for the king of Taiwan, and the quality of every dish is ensured. Note that this is not Thai food - it's Taiwanese (very similar to Chinese, with some overlap from Chinese like "Sweet & Sour Veggie Meat", "Hot & Sour Soup" and "Ma Po Tofu"). Satisfaction guaranteed! You'll be back!

Pros: Quality in every dish served, Dedicated & caring service, Free simple appetizer & dessert
Cons: There is only one Lake Tai
gunslinger
gunslinger

NOT Vegan! :(

2 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

I'm not sure how strict of a vegan everyone is who is reviewing this, but Lake Tai's "fake meats" contain whey protein, which is most definitely NOT vegan. This is unfortunate, because I know Lake Tai boasts that they are 100% vegan, but upon further investigation... they are not. Very frustrating. Good tofu, still, but please be warned that this is not actually a fully vegan establishment, but simply vegetarian.

• vegan-d vegan-d

How do you know this? I've gone there many times and have asked several times if it's vegan.

If this is true, how sad!

deeholt*
deeholt*

Delicious Vegan Food

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2013

There is a nice atmosphere and friendly staff in this vegan restaurant that has food from Taiwan and not China as posted. It is delicious food that contains too much sugar/salt/oil in some recipees to be considered health food. The main protein is also soya bean unfortunately. They are however MSG free, and it is much healthier food than any Chinese food buffet. They do not state if they are GMO free, or try to use organics first, or what types of sugars and oils are used like most restaurants.

Pros: No MSG, Delicious Food, 100% vegan, no worries
Cons: High Sugar/Fat/Salt
VeganMira
VeganMira
  • herbivore

Amazing little hidden gem!

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

Great old school style Asian cuisine done Vegan. My non Veg husband salivated over each dish! While I prefer a little less sauce and a little less oil (read deep fried wontons with sweet and sour sauce), it's a delicious treat..... Incredibly good choice for carnivores who can still get their "fix" without grossing out the Veg dining company.

Pros: everything is vegan, tasty, well priced
Cons: saucy, lots of deep fried options, not enough veggies
vegan frog
vegan frog

Delicious!

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2013

An excellent hole in the whole. Very friendly and helpful owner/server. She confirmed everything is vegan on the menu even though it only mentions vegetarian.
We picked the special Lake Tai coconut curry which is wonderful, and spiced right. We had asked for medium spiced, which in some places is still bland, but this is really what I call medium spiced. The portion are very generous and there was enough food for leftovers.
We tried a number of dishes but the curry was the best in our opinion. Their mini chinese doughnuts were delicious. We went back the next day to buy some more!

Pros: All vegan, Tons of choice
trufflepiggy
trufflepiggy

um, yum!

4 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2013

Wanted to go to Lake Tai for a couple of years, and finally made it in today as I passed through Kelowna. Yummy! Had hot & sour soup, fragrant crispy lemon steak, and tofu, broc, and sugar snap peas in a spicy brown sauce, served on a sizzling plate. Everything was delicious! Lake Tai serves quality food for good value. We left stuffed. I also ordered a taro bubble tea to go - first time I've had one in eons. The woman who served us was warm, very nice, and extremely helpful.

We'll be eating at Lake Tai next time we pass through Kelowna, that's
certain - so happy there's a fully vegan restaurant within the Okanagan.

Pros: Great food, Inexpensive, Excellent server
lindatheveg
lindatheveg

Great Food and one of a kind

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

We enjoyed a fabulous meal at Lake Tai last week. It was freshly prepared and very tasty. The ingredients and seasoning were authentic, and there is no MSG! This is the only purely vegetarian (in fact, vegan) restaurant that we have found here. What an oasis. We will definitely be back.

Pros: Authentic ingredients, Completely veg, Compassionate owner
Cons: Street location isn't exactly charming
JewelsStrilaiff
JewelsStrilaiff

Amazing!

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2013

So yummy! The owners know us and we don't even go in super often. All of the food we've had is amazing!

Pros: So many options, All vegan! , No contamination worry!
Sashen
Sashen
  • raw

Fantastic, I'm a happy Customer

5 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

Food was beautiful and filling. Staff was kind and caring. Please support this place as their are not any Vegan places in Kelowna. As a raw foodie, it was a great compromise to have a big plate of steamed veggies. My parents and wife loved all the other dishes too.

PeaceGirl
PeaceGirl

I love this place!

5 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2012

From the warm welcome to the great service to the delicious vegan Taiwanese food, Lake Tai is a huge favorite! Some of our faves are Japanese rolls, curried hot plate and fried rice. The stewed soup is also delicious on a cold day. Sweet and sour veggie meat, oolong noodles, and spring rolls are all so good.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 18, 2012

Pros: delicious food, amazing service, friendly atmosphere
Cons: would love more healthy options
HappyVeganMom
HappyVeganMom

Not great

2 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2012

I really wanted to like this restaurant. Maybe my expectations were too high. However, I found the fake meat to be gelatinous, fatty, and bland. The BBQ appetizer seemed suspiciously like scrambled eggs with sauce. I also ordered the satay curry... but it was just mushy broccoli, cauliflower, and blobs of something fatty and unrecognizable. I felt embarrassed, as I didn't want to insult the staff by not eating it. The lady working there was really nice.

I've never written a negative review for a vegetarian restaurant before, as I really appreciate the effort. However, the food here was not good.

Pros: vegetarian
Cons: food isn't very good
superbiggi
superbiggi

Finally Back!

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2012

Last year, I was sad to hear that Lake Tai (previously on Pandosy) had to close to make room for the SOPA development. This week, I was excited to hear that it reopened in January 2012 on Kirschner Road. The location is good, very convenient, lots of parking and bright, friendly dining area. The food is the same and as good as ever, really being the only 100% vegan option in town. Prices are low ... for example, if you chose the Menu for Two, you walk out of there with a full tummy and only $30 less in your wallet (for two). The owners are friendly and the service is very fast. A great alternative to fast food elsewhere!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly owners, Prices
kitkatty
kitkatty

New location, same yummy veg food

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

Lake Tai is at it's new location on Kirshner! My husband and I were happy to see the return of this restaurant. The food is always freshly prepared and delicious. Our favorite dishes are: F3 the fried rice noodle, D2 stir fried vegetables and D1 black pepper veggie beef. The vegetable dishes are loaded with vegetables in a light sauce allowing you to taste the fresh vegetables. The black pepper veggie beef is flavorful and not too spicy. Both family and friends that have tried this dish say that it reminds them of pepper steak and they love this dish.

My husband and I are vegetarians and haven't had meat in over 10 years but every "meat" dish that we have had here is flavorful in a light sauce. The vegetable and noodle dishes are amazing as they are fresh, yummy and the portion sizes are large.

You don't have to be a vegetarian to enjoy the food at this restaurant.

Pros: Delicious food, Good selection, Friendly service
veggiebear
veggiebear

Nice place.

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2010

So far, my favourite restaurant on the BC mainland. The wonton soup is a bit bland, but other than that all the food (and the tea) is excellent. The fried rice is the best (vegan or otherwise) that I've ever had, omnivore mother agreed. Friendly and very fast service.

I went at non-busy times and didn't have a problem, however it is a fairly small restaurant. If you're planning on going at suppertime or on the weekend, it may be a good idea to phone ahead, not sure how full they get.

Pros: great food, great service, large menu
alliepat
alliepat

Yum...

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2010

I passed Lake Tai on the way to my hotel and made a mental note to check it out. It was great...really fresh and fast and wonderful flavours. It was great to find a place that served fresh vegan food amidst all the burger joints. The bean curd skin dishes (black bean or honey) are amazing! I'll be back next time I'm in Kelowna.

Pros: friendly staff, fast service, good value
thekelly
thekelly

I love Lake Tai

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2010

My boyfriend and I discovered Lake Tai one night when I was getting frustrated that there are no veg restaurants in our town. We found Lake Tai online and drove all the way to Kelowna just to eat there. We weren't disappointed!
We love to split the meal for two and add an appetizer. It's a lot of food and a lot of variety for a relatively small price. The food is delicious and we keep going back.

Pros: Large Menu, Delicious Food
Cons: Some of the food looks weird!
charmainey2010
charmainey2010

Best Vegan Thai Food ever!!

5 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2009

My family and I LOVE this restaurant!! There is not any other 100% Vegan restaurants in our area, so being vegans we appreciate this tremendously! My mother is not a vegan or vegetarian, but still loves this restaurant, so that says something in itself. They have a huge assortment of dishes and the service is always wonderful. It is by far my favourite restaurant and I would recommend anyone go here. The restaurant is totally 100% vegan and the prices are great!

Pros: excellent food, awesome service, great prices
bobcat
bobcat

Far from the best

2 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2009

My Vegan friend and I visited Kelowna for a few days, and having read the comments on this site, decided to make the long walk to eat here. We arrived and were happy that the menu had pictures, however a listing of the ingredients would have been helpful. The Japanese Cones were amazing, we both really enjoyed them, and although my friend is not a fan of Sushi, she enjoyed it. Next we had a mildly spicy fake beef dish, and a tofu and vegatable hot plate. The tofu vegetable hotplate was okay,but we found it to be too much sauce. The fake meat I disliked entirely, and my friend described it as simialr to granola. Overall, I would say that you are better to go to the DT restaurants and order veggie burgers or fajitas, or go to the local cafes for their wraps. If you do brave this little restaurant I would not recommend the fake meat, however the tofu was okay, just go light on the sauce. Or, order a BUNCH of the Japanese rolls...YUMMY

Pros: Vegan
Cons: Too Much Sauce
NicolaKnits
NicolaKnits

Love the Lake Tai

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2008

I love the Lake Tai. In a city full of fast-food outlets and steak restaurants, it's great to have a completely vegan place where we can go for special occasions. Our family of five eats a big lunch there for about $100. It's a small restaurant with personal service (owner-operated), freshly cooked food and a pleasant atmosphere.

Pros: excellent food, generous portions

Dear Owner and Manager of Lake Tai: