Serves meat, veg options available. La Zucca means "the pumpkin." Has a few vegetarian options. Direction: on Ponte del Megio on the Rio del Megio. Take Calle Larga north from Campo San Giacomo dell'Orio, cross the first bridge on your right. Price: Moderate more-less
Italian, Non-veg

First Review by louis
deadpledge
deadpledge

A Zucca Experience

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

We ate twice at La Zucca whilst in Venice and on both occasions enjoyed some fantastic food and even some vegetarian wine (look for the Bio option on the wine list). The waitress at La Zucca was extremely helpful in translating the menu into English for us and although there are few vegetarian dishes on offer, the ones we had were delicious. Having heard rave reviews about the pumpkin flan we ordered this immediately alongside a rigatoni pasta bake, with a vegetarian platter to follow containing rice, green beans, carrots, curried lentils, artichoke and roasted peppers. You can also get a number of sides which we did on our second visit when we ordered potato gratin. The food at La Zucca is very creative and value for money and the total bill only came to 65 euros with a bottle of wine. The menu also changes quite frequently. The pasta dish we had on the second occasion was a cheese, courgette and courgette flower bake, which was delicious. I would definitely recommend going here when in Venice but make sure you book a reservation in advance, oh and make sure you get the pumpkin flan!

Pros: Fantastic Food, Vegetarian Wine
Cons: Few Vegetarian Options
veggylvr
veggylvr

Wonderful Veg-Friendly Restaurant!

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

We ate at La Zucca, and it was the probably best meal we had in Italy. My husband tried the pumpkin flan, which he still can't stop raving about. (Although it wasn't vegan, I tried a bite and it was melt-in-your-mouth good!). Their vegan options are limited. I had the pumpkin soup, with chick peas and leeks, which was yummy, and their vegetarian plate, which is a sampling of their sides served with rice (the waiter informed me the couscous had butter). It sounds boring, but it's not. The chef is obviously very creative here, and each side was prepared in different ways. The lentils were curried, the cabbage and eggplant prepared with more Italian spices, so combined with the rice, it was an absolutely delicious medley of flavors! Make reservations. It's hard to get a table here. This is one of those small places with an excellent chef that meat-lovers and vegetarians flock to. The menu is printed daily. Even if I wasn't vegan, I know I'd get tired of the standard pizza/pasta options here in Venice. La Zucca breaks the mold! Definitely have the pumpkin flan. It's to die for! Price for 2 of us, each with appetizer, main dishes, and one bottle of wine (18 Euros), the total bill was 76 Euros.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 06, 2013

Pros: Delicious Food
Cons: Limited vegan options
Sincarne
Sincarne

great food, friendly staff!!

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2013

This is a great vegetarian-friendly restaurant and the waiters will explain any ingredients in English.

LisaC
LisaC

Best Dinner Date

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

This place was awesome. I loved watching the gondolas go by. It was one of the best meals of our honeymoon and right before Feast of Rendentorie fireworks.

Pros: excellent food, great service, beautiful place
Guest
Guest

Best Find in Venice

4 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2012

Venice is not known for its cuisine, but La Zucca is a real treat. Great pasta dishes, fresh vegetables and bread, and lots more. The best culinary experience we had in Venice, and one of the only restaurants we tried in the city that was not bland.

Fredomoni
Fredomoni

Wonderful place to have dinner

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2011

It was our last stop in Italy. Romantic city...
Teh restaurnat has wonderful location. The staff is very nice and helping. We haev arrived without any reservation but they have managed to give us the seats. Food was very nice.
You cna take away the meals.. We woudl defintely recommend thsi restaurnat to have one of teh best food not so expensive during your visit in Venice.

Jess McNeill
Jess McNeill

Delicious!

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2011

We tried a couple of time to visit this restaurant but it was closed (darn siesta time)
We finally made it (I would recommend making a reservation at dinner time, even on weekdays) and it was well worth it. My mom and I are vegan and my husband and father love meat and potatoes. It was fantastic for both! I had the pumpkin soup. yum!!! [edit by staff] They needed cooler air conditioning in he summer, but it was cooler in the back. Request to sit there instead of in the front room. I would definitely visit here again!

Pros: veg and non veg, good food
Cons: little pricey, a/c weak in front room
Jamila10ten
Jamila10ten

Delicious! Worth a visit

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2011

The pumpkin flan was otherworldly. Amazing. The wine cost maybe 2 or 3 euros, which is incredible in Venice. Really perfect meal!
The avocado and mustard was incredible. Who knew those two things went together so well!?!?

Only issue were the sides. The cheesy potatoes were too cheesy and boring and the broccoli tasted frozen ...

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly Staff, Good portions
Cons: Side dishes
chorte23
chorte23

Best Vegetarian Food in Venice

4 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

I happened upon a review of La Zucca in the comments section of the NYTimes that recommended the restaurant for vegetarians. I was not disappointed--everything was delicious. In fact, during a short trip to Venice I went back twice because it is simply the best vegetarian food to be found in Venice. Be sure to call ahead for a reservation!

I must have sampled over 10 different plates, and my favorite was the pumpkin flan. The menu changes daily, since they use seasonally fresh ingredients. There are non-vegetarian plates, but there are a significant number of veggie options. The menu is in Italian, but my waitress was happy to quickly translate. There are veggie entrees as well as at least 10 different delicious veggie sides (that can be combined for a meal). The veggie sides range in price from 5-7 euros. The entrees are a bit more pricey, but I think the most expensive one when I was there was 12 euros.

Pros: fresh ingredients, good value, delicious
Dougie
Dougie

Best available for veggies

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2011

Having spent four days in Venice this Easter, this was the best Veg-friendly restaurant we found. You really need to book in advance for dinner because space in the dining room and outside is limited. I had a very tasty almond and zucchini lasagne and my partner had tagliatelle with pesto. We shared a side of asparagus. Everything was very tasty although portion sizes weren't huge. Service was excellent - just ask if you need anything on the menu translated.
Go to La Zucca if you want something more enticing than spaghetti marinara or pizza margherita.

Pros: Tasty food, Helpful staff, Good value
Cons: Need to book, Small portions
kimward8
kimward8

Helpful staff

3 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2010

The staff spoke English. The only vegan options were Tagliatelle or spaghetti with tomato and basil sauce, and zuchini in olive oil and herbs. Maybe just because it was my first pasta with tomato sauce in Italy and not the millionth, I thought it was very good. The zuchini was also very good. The waiter was also helpful by telling me that sometimes pasta has eggs in it in Italy, but pizza crust never does.

BlokefromBristol
BlokefromBristol

Pumpkin Flan

4 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2009

Visited La Zucca on a Friday night in November. We tried to get in the previous night, but it was fully booked and they could just about squeeze two of us for the following night. We had to share a table with another english couple, but there was plenty of room.
The menu is only in Italian but with a phrase book, you can work out most of the menu. The waitress we had was very friendly and spoke very good english. She was able to explain anything we did not understand and although busy was patient with us. This is a veg friendly restaurant, so there is meat on the menu, but there was at least five or six choices for veggies from the starters and mains. There was also a selection of sides, which I think had a good choice of veg dishes as well.
We started with potato soup and the famous pumpkin flan. Both were nicely presented and very nice to eat as well.Then we both had different versions of the tagliatelle, mine was with gorgonzola and pistachio. I thoroughly enjoyed mine and could of eaten it again. For dessert my partner had the chocolate mousse and I chose randomly from the menu, which turned out to be Murano biscuits and a glass of dessert wine.
All together the bill came to sixty euros, which included two drinks each. Overall we enjoyed the meal and would recommend that you try it out if you are in Venice. Just make sure you have a good map and book in advance.

Pros: Good choice, Friendly staff, nice setting
Westy
Westy

Disappointed

2 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2009

Having read reviews I expected a quality vegetarian-friendly restaurant. This is in fact a normal Venetian restaurant which has very limited suitable options on the menu, basically like most restaurants. Veggie dish was some pre-prepared vegetable side dishes served with a portion of rice - yes it was vegetarian, but not a lot of effort made or particular sustaining or tasty. Person in charge was unfriendly and unhelpful. She had no idea whether the cheese in the tart was vegetarian and seemed confused as to why I was asking. Other staff were very friendly and efficient. Having gone to the effort of finding and booking for an anniversary meal on the basis of this being presented as suitable for vegetarians we were very disappointed.

Pros: Table by canal
Cons: Poor choice, Poor service, Dull food
davib
davib

Wonderful restaurant -tucked away

4 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2009

As with many places in Venice this is tucked away and difficult to find, but worth it! It is not wholly vegetarian but does not sell much fish which is a bonus for me to avoid the stink. 7 of us [three vegetarian] had a wonderful leisurely lunch. Not cheap [but what is in Venice?]but well worth it!

Pros: Food - excellent, Staff, Decor
dpoole
dpoole

A great vegan meal

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2008

I had lunch at La Zucca, when recommended by HappyCow and was not dissapointed. The menu consists of veggie food and meat dishes. It is very popular so its best to book, lots of people kept coming in after us and were turned away. I had the plate of vegetables with rice and sesame. I was expecting something quite plain but it wasn't at all. So much care had been taken over the veg, some had been roasted, others marinated, it was all very lovely. I think for vegans this is the best and safest bet. My husband had the asparagus tart which he said was delicious. There are lots of smaller items on the menu so you could easily peice together a meal or have lots to share between you. The menu is all in Italian but the waiter was happy to translate. For two meals, a couple of drinks and a coffee it was 60 euros.

Pros: Fab Food!, Helpful staff, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Bit expensive but isnt all venice?
fm
fm

Excellent, good quality food

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2008

We visited here twice for dinner during our week-long stay in Venice in March 2008 and enjoyed it very much - perfect for me as a longstanding vegetarian but also for my husband as a lifelong carnivore.

On both occasions we were extremely happy with our food - good choice of vegetarian food (whether it be as an appetiser followed by first course, or first course & side dish, or main dish), and both the vegetarian & carnivorous food was cooked perfectly with a great mix of flavours (imaginative combinations which we would never have anticipated to have worked so well) and the vegetables cooked absolutely "al dente".

No criticism at all, although it might be wise to bring an Italian dictionary and a pen & paper to scribble on as, although the staff are very helpful at translating the menu which is only available in Italian, it sometimes helps to have some time to think about the choices available and to have them written in front of you!

NB. Ensure that you book in advance - you may need a couple of days' advanced notice, especially at weekends and in high season (which is apparently April-October in Venice).

Pros: Imaginative flavour combinations, Vegetables cooked 'al dente', Good choice of menu
louis
louis

La Zucca

3 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2008

Cosy atmosphere, popular with locals. Reasonable prices and good service. Limited vegetarian and vegan options, however the waiter was able to suggest a vegan meal of the vegetable side dishes, served with rice and sesame. Also a 'mousse' made from pureed Eggplant, with herbs. All very good. Worth bearing in mind, given the shortage of vegan options in Venice. Improvement could be made by expanding the choice of vegan and vegetarian options to include tofu/seitan dishes as the vegetables are great but it's nice to have a bit of protein and for vegetarians, using vegetarian cheese.

Pros: tasty, good service, one of few places offering vegan food
Cons: limited vegan options

Dear Owner and Manager of La Zucca: