Serves meat, veg options available. Offers healthier Puerto Rican and Caribbean food with sandwiches, wraps, and salads plus 4 daily lunch meals. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Ovo, Puerto Rican, Caribbean, Non-veg

Mon-Sat 8:00am-4:00pm

First Review by Vittorio San Pietro
veggieclaire
veggieclaire

Great for Vegetarians, not so good for vegans

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2013

I went and asked for a vegan sandwich, they told me all the sandwiches were vegan so I had the carrot burger. I took it home and when I took the first bite I notice something strange with the cheese. I called and they told me they're sure it was vegan cheese but when I asked the brand the told me it was veggie slices, which are not vegan because it contains casein. Because of the cheese issue I became suspicious of the bread too, and when I asked they told me they didnt know the ingredients and that they had to ask their supplier. I think they should be more informed about what they serve.

Pros: expensive, poorly informed
Cons: tasty
Stefan Daystrom
Stefan Daystrom

yummy specials at a good price and good service

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2012

There were about 5 specials on the board, plus a soup. The specials were all $8.99, and all specials come with rice and beans and a little salad. I had a layered dish made of mashed potatoes and spinach, and everything was ymmmy. I found the portion size to be perfect. (For the salad, there was a choice of either the house dressing -- not sure what kind -- or oil and vinegar bottles on the table.)

I tried a desert of carmelized papaya, and it was good, though a bit much after the filling main meal, so I couldn't finish it.

The specials on the board were all in Spanish, but the waitress spoke good English and translated everything for me.

At about 2:30 pm on a Thursday, I was the only one there while I ate in. It was apparent they were getting ready to close at 3 because some of the tables already had the chairs upside down on them. But there were several free tables still ready, so I didn't feel turned away at all.

At this hour at least, I had no problem getting a parking space right in front.

Pros: yummy, good value, good service
Cons: limited hours, English version of specilals only verbal
maltinej
maltinej

Yummy eggplant and tofu sandwich

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2012

Had never been at la zanahoria (the carrot in spanish) and it wasnt bad at all. They open monday through friday until 3pm and saturdays until 4pm. They have daily specials, most menu items are vegan or can be modified easily. All their meats are vegetable based but I saw a cod plate that looked like real cod but I didnt ask. I have been here twice and ordered the eggplant and tofu sandwich which in puerto rico is like a miracle that they offer items like that. I had a ginger lemonade which was very tasty as well. Will definitely be back (not that there are many other options around).

Pros: Vegetarian/vegan fare, Excellent eggplant and tofu sandwich , Nice health food next door
Cons: Price, Location, Looked like only over person cooking

aradhakr
aradhakr

Marginal quality

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

I was at La Zanahoria in February 2012. The service was very poor at first as no one acknowledged that I was there or seated me, etc...Finally I just sat down at a table. A few more minutes went by and no one came by and asked me anything. Eventually a lady who might have been the owner came over and spoke to me. I don't speak Spanish and she tried to translate the specials for me. She was nice and helpful.

The food was OK. I wasn't really impressed. Unfortunately it is one of the few places in San Juan that has vegetarian food. Prices were ridiculous though. Way too high all things considered. I spent close to $20 for lunch!

Cons: expensive, food not that great
Marboricua
Marboricua

Perdio el concepto . . .

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

Ya no es lo que fue, ni lo volvera a ser. Carisimo para la calidad de comida que venden, la verdad no es la mejor. No lo recomiendo.

Pros: Atienden bien
Cons: Comida de baja calidad, No es tan natural
talena0827
talena0827

more or less

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2010

Great service but wayyyy to expensive. The food is not that good either

cookiem
cookiem

Oh yum!

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2008

This place is a little bit off the beaten path, but worth the trip! Small and quaint, but you can actually talk to the people who prepare your food, if you so desire! The food is not 100% vegan, but they are very friendly and certainly willing to make anything vegan for you upon request! They even made a special vegan sauce for the lunch dish that I had ordered! Very filling, hearty and satisfying. The food was very fresh and very tasty, their house dressing is wonderful (cilantro-based) and vegan! Nice traditional style Caribbean fare, no frills! Go and enjoy! Don't forget to stop by the small health food store next door: no produce, but lots of staples, like chips and dried fruit, snacks and the like! The only two complaints: the soy cheese may not be vegan and the tortilla chips are not local, but a mass-produced American-based chip company (Herr's?). Hopefully, the chips were just being used this time because they were out of their regular brand? Hmmm.. All in all, worth the time to go!

Pros: Service, Vegan-friendly, Traditional taste
Cons: Soy cheese, Tortilla chips
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Not that great for vegans, but nice people

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2008

The only vegan breakfast is oily tofu scramble and oatmeal. The natural foods store attached to it is really great, though. They've got just about everything. So before a trek off to the RainForest or the Radio Telescope you can stop here and get a little bite to eat and grab some snack.

Pros: natural grocery store
Cons: no so vegan
VeganPike
VeganPike

A little slice of Veggie Heaven!!!

Posted on 11 / 25 / 2007

Like the old-school veggie places of yore, this fabulous little restaurant has an excellent selection of delicious foods, with an emphasis on Health. The adjacent health food store is also fantastic (they even have vegenaise!!!). The portions here are hearty and huge, and while none of what we got was terrifically seasoned, the garlic oil that sits on the table made everything taste amazing. Our servers were very sweet, everything was written in both Spanish and English, and for what you get the food's a good deal. Not to mention our food came out at breakneck speed- like seriously, 2 or 3 minutes after we'd ordered. If I had been in San Juan longer I would've haunted this place often!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Comfortable, homey atomosphere, Yummy, filling food
Vittorio San Pietro
Vittorio San Pietro

La Zanahoria may need less improvement now

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2007

It's a rule of life that some things will change. I believe La Zanahoria has, for the better. Simple, clean, innovative flavors. The beans were to die for. Tasty rice, great ripe plantain dishes. Fresh salads were a bit dissapointing. Service was efficient but not very informative or particularly helpful. Good seating space and nicely packed for lunch. Prices about $10-12 per person.

Pros: good food, good seating
Cons: stale salad

Dear Owner and Manager of La Zanahoria: