All vegan grocery store and deli, opened Jan 2013. The deli case features handmade seitan, tofu, pasta, tiramisu and cakes - do call to check availability of the day. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Italian, Take-out

First Review by Babai

beautiful place!

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2013

a really cozy place,also thanks to the availability and friendliness of the owners!the food was wonderful and helpful staff too. a good variety of dishes has not affected the quality of the food. congratulations for lasagna!

Pros: cozy place, good variety, lasagna

Five-Star Gourmet Deli

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

If you are vegetarian and in Ferrara, this place is an absolute must-visit. I cannot praise it highly enough. My wife and I are lifelong vegans (me from NY and her from Shanghai, two great places for vegan cuisine); now we travel the world sampling vegan food everywhere. Simply put, this is among the best vegan food you will find anywhere. Absolutely just like homemade food, made with love, care, and talent, just like grandma (if grandma were vegan). Shelly, the owner, is a loving person and it comes across in her manner as well as her food. You will feel like she is an old friend the minute you meet her. She is willing to make anything to order if you call in advance. The lasagna, rice balls, veggie burgers, homemade humus, farro salad, and potato salad were all phenomenal. I am very into cooking myself, using only organic ingredients and cooking according to authentic ethnic recipes. I can honestly say that Shelly's food is as good if not better than my own homemade dishes. We ordered an enormous amount of food from La Vegana over the course of a few days, and there was not a single disappointment. We had the good fortune of being there when Shelly's mom was visiting and helping out in the kitchen. The mom was also incredibly pleasant and loving. You would never in a million years expect to find a place like this in Ferrara. This is more likely found on a little corner on the Upper West Side in Manhattan; and it would do well there. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the sweets. Fantastic tiramisu, muffins, cake, and icing that sent me to happy heaven. Haha I ate the icing off of all the next days' muffins... mmm, the deep rich chocolate was mesmerizing. I promise you will not be disappointed. The place is a tiny little deli about a 20 minute walk outside of the historical center on a main boulevard but worth every step of the way. Every time I think of Shelly's face, it is heartwarming. I will miss her wonderful food and truly wish her the best in Ferrara. Thank you, Shelly for who you are and what you do!!! This is what vegan food everywhere SHOULD be all about! :-)

Pros: Phenomally Fresh Food, Traditional but Creative & Progressive, Shelly and Mom Are Pure Sweethearts
Cons: I ate too much tiramisu! :-)

Very friendly, pretty tasty.

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

A good selection of bain marie dishes and vegan supplies at reasonable prices. Some of the dishes were amazing (the seitan balls especially), the cheesecake and the patties/burger-things was very good.

The eat in options are sitting in a comfortable loungechair (only one), but you can take your dishes to a nearby park to eat, which is quite pleasant, and return them later.

The only complaint about the food is that it wasn't so fresh, though I did go there late afternoon on a weekend, so that's probably my own fault.

The owner (whose name I've forgotten) speaks Italian and English and is very friendly.

The store is a little hard to find as it has no sign out the front as of August '13 - but it is where the HappyCow map says it is.

Pros: Food is very good to excellent., Good prices. , Very friendly host.
Cons: Bit hard to find.

All Vegan and Lovely!

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

All vegan food fresh, tasty and well made by incredibly friendly and helpful owner who speaks english well.
It is a small shop, but with a nice range of all vegan dishes (when I went; lasagne, tempeh with veggies, a green bean dish, tomato and almond burgers, houmous, and a good few desserts; moist tasty choc muffins and a lemon cream tart). I was surprised at how little what I got cost - so good value for money too.
Everything is homemade - the seitan and tofu, even the pasta in the lasagne. I got a bit of almost everything and it was all wonderful.
There are also a few vegan goodies (chocs etc) you can buy.

Updated from previous review on Saturday May 11, 2013

Pros: All homemade tasty food, All vegan, Very friendly helpful owner
Cons: It is a little far from the centre

Incredible place for a small city like Ferrara!

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

All is vegan, mostly organic and delicious; best place in the area, IMO. In this small magic shop dishes are fresh and handmade; this is probably why I never found such lasagne, roasted seitan, tiramisu etc. ever elsewhere!
Also a place for vegan publications.
The girl running the shop speaks English and is eager to provide any tourist info!
I'd only like this place had tables and seats and I wish it was closer to the centre, but getting there is just a 15 minutes stroll after all.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 11, 2013

Pros: All is fresh and handmade daily, Mostly organic ingredients, Delicious and very cheap!
Cons: No seatings, 15 minutes walk from the centre

Dear Owner and Manager of La Vegana: