CLOSED: La Petite Gardette...

Delightful B&B set on sixty private acres in beautiful provencal countryside 40 minutes north of Aix-en-Provence. Owners reported to happycow that it has been shut down, August 2012. more-less

First Review by mikeyh
JaneMcG
JaneMcG

My new favorite place in the world

5 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2011

Our 3-night stay here was perhaps the most refreshing, revitalizing vacation my husband and I have ever taken. Let's talk about the food first: it's amazing. Gaia, the chef, made us a gourmet breakfast, picnic lunch, and dinner each day - and I swear, we haven't eaten this well in... well, certainly not since we went vegan, and maybe not ever. We're talking "my grandmother doesn't feed me this well" good: comforting, nourishing, and delicious. I have eaten in probably 40 or more different Happy Cow reviewed restaurants in the past few years, including two Michelin-starred vegetarian restaurants - but Gaia's cooking is by far my favorite anywhere. My husband and I already started daydreaming: If we ever win the lottery and can afford a private chef, we are either going to try to hire Gaia or fly our chef out to Provence to be trained by Gaia. My favorite recipes: a spicy Italian sausage with pasta, a flaky apple pastry hot out of the oven, the waffles in the morning, sesame seed pastry puffs as a welcome-to-the-B&B-snack, a crisp pasta salad with vegan coleslaw and peanut butter cookies in our picnic basket. I've never had so much energy on vacation as a vegan, because I've never been able to eat so well and so much at every meal. Okay, now let's talk setting. The B & B is set on a pretty large and gorgeous swatch of land, it feels tucked away and very private, and the air is clear and beautiful as you would expect in Provence. It has its own fruit trees and grapes - you can each right off the tree and vine, which we did. B & B rooms are very pretty, very cozy, and just as rustic as you would hope in such a setting without sacrificing any comfort. You can walk or bike to nearby villages, or run as we did, through the hilly terrain of the Provenical countryside. Finally, hospitality. Gaia and her family are amazing. Her husband, son and daughter all pitch in, and they even have a superfriendly dog that will race over to you to say hello. They gave us great advice for where to go, what to see, and were just super-lovely to sit on the porch with a chat awhile. They went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and well taken care of. I caught a cold on our last night, and Gaia and her husband actually served our 3-course meal, one course at a time, to our room so I could eat in bed. They even packed some biscotti for us on our way out so we could have some vegan snacks on the long trip back to San Francisco. Summary: a seven-star experience.

Pros: amazing food, warm hospitality, gorgeous views
Cons: 2.5 hour drive from Nice
Plant Lover
Plant Lover

Idyllic Vegan Vacation in Provence!

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2011

My husband and I stayed two nights at La Petite Gardette in May 2011 and wished we stayed longer! The setting is unbelievably gorgeous with complete privacy, yet still conveniently close to the many surrounding attractions. We stayed in the Lavender Room, which came with its own fireplace, which Damon kindly started for us in the evening. During our stay we ordered two dinners and a picnic, all which were extremely good and would impress the most distinguished vegan foodie. The gourmet breakfasts were served outside on our private terrace surrounded by beautiful flowers. Gaia is amazing in the kitchen and you will taste the love she pours into the food! Seriously, I still catch myself daydreaming about her food and it's two weeks later!
Everything about our stay was exceptional. The attention to detail was apparent in the beautiful presentation of the food, to the organic toiletries and optional vegan snack bar in our suite. If you ever venture out to this stunning part of the world, stop by and experience one of the most peaceful and delicious vegan vacations ever!

Pros: amazing vegan food!!!, super friendly hosts, beautiful location!
mikeyh
mikeyh

Vegan Paradise in the heart of Provence!

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at the vegan bed and breakfast for four days this past January, and it was wonderful! The room was incredibly cozy with its own fireplace. We woke every morning to a different delicious breakfast. We were also provided with drinks and a homemade snack. Gaia also makes prepacked picnic baskets for lunch which are perfect to take out when exploring Provence. The location is perfect for launching out on day trips (Aix-en-Provence - 45mn, Gorges du Verdon - 1hr, Le Luberon - 1hr), but there is plenty of great hiking just footsteps away from La Petite Gardette. We enjoyed it so much here, we decided to stay for an extra two and a half months at one of their self-catering cottages right next door. We'll definitely be coming back here.

Pros: excellent food, cozy rooms, beautiful location

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: La Petite Gardette Vegan Bed and Breakfast: