Vegan bar serving tapas and bar food including hot dogs, soya burgers, seitan fajitas, vegan cheese tostas, seitan, chorizo, and chocolate cake. Note: Kitchen may not open until 8pm. Anarchist atmosphere. Previously named Bar Kunin. Closes August month. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

Mon-Thu 5:00pm-1:00am, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-2:00am, Sun 12:00pm-1:00am

First Review by lups85
Sarah Baker
Sarah Baker

Ok option if you are in the neighbourhood

Posted on 03 / 19 / 2015

This is not the place you would go to on your birthday. But if you are in Lavapiés and you want to go somewhere with an all vegan menu (isn't it nice to look at a menu and have several options!) it's a good one.

Pros: great location
Cons: fills up quickly, service is sometimes grumpy
LiaTraballero
LiaTraballero

a Bar, with Bar Food

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2015

It is exactly as it is described: a vegan bar with anarchist atmosphere. Do not go expecting a restaurant or if you want to eat healthy. It's not like they serve junk food.. but it's a bar food. It seemed like most of the things were pre-prepaired and the rest was frozen. Staff was nice and the food was ok.

Pros: Cheap, Location
barbaramaidel
barbaramaidel

Good place to drink

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2015

Anarchist atmosphere (which is not my thing, but I didn't go there to discuss about government or gender) and good location. They have some options to eat (I loved mushroom croquettes, despite of the price) that goes well with beers, and the place is really more about drinking than eating, so don't expect this bar will serve you a complete meal.
I would go back when in Madrid again.

Pros: Nice place to drink, Delicious croquettes

JoScott
JoScott

Uninspiring

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2014

Really bland food, lacking any inspiration (think packet fries, and tofu straight from the pack). Good value for a big feed though. Plus, judging by the crowd, I don't think people really come here for the culinary delights.

Flouffy
Flouffy

great vegan tapas bar!

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2014

Typical spanish recipes in vegan version, delicious food, delicious desserts, good drinks menu. Very reasonable prices and friendly service. 100% vegan & dogs accepted! Really central location too.

maggles
maggles

AWESOME!

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

Definitely not closed. They close for the month of August, like most places in Madrid, but SO WORTH A VISIT.

This is a good, old-fashioned Spanish bar with a vegan/anarchist twist. Order a beer and they'll give you a vegan tapa. Perfect for going out drinking with both vegans and omnis.

Good hamburgers, tostas, stuffed peppers, and fajitas. If you want a froufrou vegan dinner with raw macadamia cheese and kale chips, go somewhere else. If you want to eat, drink and be merry for CHEAP, this is your place!

Pros: Vegan tapas, Great value, Cool location
Cons: Service a bit slow
heuschrecke
heuschrecke

Still open - but not very good

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

I went to Oveja Negra last week but I didn't feel comfortable there. The staff made the impression as they did not want to have guests and I was barely greeted or smiled at. The selection on the menu was very good. However, the food didn't have much taste and there was almost no salt in it.
I was very disappointed.

Pros: Good location, Good choice on the menu
Cons: no welcoming staff, no good food
Jeffeateasy
Jeffeateasy

NO, it's OPEN ! And very good :)

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2014

I was welcomed by a nice girl. I ordered a hamburger (veg of course) which was "great", a bier and some french fries. The sitting room was full so I stayed standing but enjoyed the food. It's not expensive. And the girl was nice despite my terrible spanish langage...

Go and enjoy !

pekeville
pekeville
  • non-vegetarian

I Felt Unconfortable

Posted on 02 / 08 / 2014

I went in sunday. I felt uncomfortable because it look like we disturb her. I don't eat soya when I ask her if the bakery have soya she told me she didn't know but she never try know it.
I talked with the other people about this and they think the same like me. The place is good, the prize too and the location too but I don't like the ambient.

Michal in Wonderland
Michal in Wonderland

Great place

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

The stuff are very nice, the food is great.
Sometimes there are missing things from menu,
We really loved the place

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Great stuff
Cons: the menu is a recommendation ;-)
Grazer
Grazer

Not for the health conscious

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

Worth coming to this place for the ambience, the anarchic vibe was very, very cool.

The food was not. If one of the reasons that you are vegetarian is health, then this is absolutely not the restaurant for you. A menu almost exclusively of vegetarian 'meat'. Completely misses the point of vegetarian cuisine, which is the variety of food available to play with in the absence of meat or fish. One of the worst vegetarian meals I have ever had, devoid of colour, variety or life - dead food.

If you are trying to impress people with the joys of vegetarian food, go somewhere else. Don't offer them the vegan chorizo (barf). This is primarily a BAR. If you wanna party, have a few beers and a vegetarian hot dog, then you'll have a great time here.

If all vegetarian food was like this I would end up eating a happy cow. A shame - the left wingers running the bar are misinterpreting one of the most important revolutions taking place today - food.

Pros: Great Ambience
Cons: Bad Food
auroravegana
auroravegana

la oveja negra

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

hola!
sitio muy agradable y barato. el menú es delicioso, a 8 euros, ahora abren por la mañana y tienen también brunch y muchos cafés diferentes. los camareros son muy agradables.
muy recomendable!

hello!
Very nice and cheap place. the menu is delicious, 8 euros, now open in the morning and have brunch and many cafes also different. the waiters are very nice.
highly recommended!

kateborgo
kateborgo

Absolutely delicious well-priced vegan food

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2013

Went here a couple of nights ago with two omnivorous friends. We had the fajita, burritos, chorizo, spinach croquettes, soy-bean stuffed peppers, and the chocolate cake.
Each and every dish was full of flavour and worth every penny. My friends loved it despite their usual dislike of veg food. Would have returned had we been staying in Madrid an additional night.
Was a bit out of our way, but completely worth it.

Pros: Great menu, Excellent food, Friendly staff
Cons: Location
Daveggie
Daveggie

Great place (mostly for locals and non-shy tourists)

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

Food was delicious. We went at 3pm and the only patrons were local punk rockers. we had great food with some difficulty reading the menu and ordering but it was all veg, made after we ordered and yummy! It's a laid back vibe, must order at the bar but worth the experience. It started to fill up with more young rockin people after we were done. It reminds me of some veg places back home, the only difficulty was the language barrier but minus a few smirks we got what we needed and with smiles from the staff (prob at my brutal Spanish) it's worth the experience and good food if you aren't too timid!

Pros: great food, cool vibe, all veg
Cons: no English , somewhat intimidating
earthville
earthville

Great for a snack and a drink

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2013

We came around 8:30pm hoping for dinner, but the only food available was five types of tapas. The food was good and the service was friendly. We just wish there would've been more options on offer. Still, very happy to have vegan tapas, and happy to support an all-vegan business, so since it's a bar (not a restaurant) we're rating it 4 happy cows.

Pros: all vegan, affordable
Cons: limited selection of food (it's a bar)
Placek
Placek

Home sweet home

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

I was there last November with some friends. It was a bit hard to find the place, but with some help we managed to get there.
It is a typical Spanish bar (so please keep in mind that this is not a restaurant!!!), we were there, if I remember well, at around 8pm on a Friday. It was full of with punks and probably political activist, and the first thing that happened to me while I was queuing to order the food was that I was asked if I had some rolling paper on me. :p ACE!!! I was surrounded with like minded people so I felt home from the very first moment I entered the bar. I think the staff speaks a bit of English, since I know a bit of Spanish I had no problems with ordering, however the 2 bar tenders were smiling on me all the time (prolly the bad Spanish I used :)
I had a burger with fries and a beer, so nothing fancy, the others I think had tapas. I paid at around 8-10 euros which is kind of normal price in Europe.
All in all if you are into anarchism, or political activism and you are vegan, this is the best place for you.
If you are a snooty health-oriented vegan who looks for a diverse menu, then the place might not rock for you.

I will definitely return to this place, when I am vising my friends in Madrid.
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 12, 2013

Pros: Atmosphere, Simple food
Cons: Nothing
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Taste the coming anarchist revolution

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2012

This bar is totally awesome! In typical Spanish style, it really starts to get going at about 11pm on Friday or Saturday and is packed to the rafters with Madrid's thriving vegan and anarchist community. There's beer and great tapas - interesting vegan versions of hamburgers, meatballs and other delights. There's also a selection of political pamphlets and lots of passionate discussion and enjoyment to be experienced. The Spanish have a long tradition of knowing how to enjoy themselves, and how to build anarchist revolution - as they did back in 1936, and are continuing to do today. Come to Bar Kunin to experience the new world being created in the shell of the old! It's name is an irreverent pun on the name of the fiery anarchist philosopher Bakunin and a beautiful painting of him hangs in the bar (painted by a prisoner). He famously wrote, 'Freedom without socialism is privilege, socialism without freedom is tyranny!' Bar Kunin can sometimes be chaotic, but it's the beautiful chaos of freedom and revolution in the making.

Pros: Discover the flavour of anarchist revolution!
Cons: Give up your privileges and prejudices
flormadel
flormadel

Cozy!

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2012

I've been here twice and it has been great both times. On both occasions my non-veg companions have loved their meals. I cook quite a lot, so at least to me their cooking is not something out of the ordinary. However, it's quite nice to be able to walk into a bar in Spain and have vegan tapas. There is not a lot of light, and visually, it's not the best, (it looks kind of Andalusian, with a few clashing pictures and posters) but overall, I liked their eclectic vibe. The staff is incredibly amazing, and the prices are dirt-cheap. I love the neighborhood the bar is in, and it's a great place to start your night with their cheap beers. Loved their chill vibe and definitely see myself going back there again.

Pros: cheap, vegan takes on Spanish food, chill vibe
Cons: not well-lit
ranbarth
ranbarth

Nice simple food and nice atmosphere

Posted on 11 / 29 / 2012

Had a nice dinner with a toast and filled peppers.
Interesting taste combinations (very good), nice atmosphere and good prices

Pros: Good food, Good value, Good atmosphere
Jemah
Jemah

alright

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

Good atmosphere, food is ok... Bit cheap. The mini capsicum/ red bell pepper things stuffed with curry wee awesome... But the other things we had were just average

Natalia
Natalia

Really nice

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2012

BAr with Vegan "tapas" all really nice and with very reasonable prices. We had dinner for around 15€ each eating probably more than we should have because everything was so nice.

Pros: food, nice people
Cons: few tables
lups85
lups85

Tasty vegan burgers

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2012

Well, I went to the Kunin Bar a late sunday afternoon and I really liked the friendly atmosphere and the Burgers there.
They were just was too tasty to eat no more than one.
The Prices are really affordable so I was happy all over.

Pros: Tasty Burgers, not expensive, good beer

Dear Owner and Manager of La Oveja Negra: