English-owned vegetarian hotel, bed & breakfast, and restaurant situated in a Normandy valley with 2.5 acres of organic landscaped gardens. Price: Expensive more-less
61120 Ticheville, Vimoutiers, Normandie
Normandy, France
02-33369584

First Review by bunnylover
anne nik
anne nik

Blissful vegan holiday!

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

My boyfriend and I had an amazing holiday at La Maison du vert vegetarian hotel in August. On arrival Debbie showed us up to our lovely room with far reaching views of the countryside and of thier gorgeous garden. There was an imformative file in the room with a menu in it, which Debbie kindly went through and pointed out all the dishes that were vegan or vegan option. So much choice! From memory there was 7 starters and 6 mains that were vegan but as our stay was for 2 weeks Debbie gave us menus on our 4th day with loads more choice made specially to order. My boyfriend was so impressed that after the 2nd day he ate vegan with me. The food was just delicious. So much care and attention clearly goes into everything. One of their veg gardens is just outside the kitchen door and most evenings we would sit outside for dinner and watch Debbie and Daniel popping in and out with handfuls of leaves, vegetables and herbs, it couldn't be fresher. Every dish was so memorable and the blend of flavours perfect. We often had to ask what some of the ingredients were, have you ever had raw golden beetroot?? (plucked fresh from the garden of course!) red shisho and lemon basil? Every evening was a delight. We are clearly not alone in loving it there the restaurant and the patio was full every night and we were told they regularly have to turn people away. We were so pleased to see so many french people there too, lots of obvioulsy regulars. The atmosphere is so relaxed and friendly, the waiting staff were so chatty and helpful we met lots of the other customers who like us raved about the place. Lots of delicious home made drinks too, sparkling elderflower and the quince vodka, yum!
The gardens are just so beautiful, full of wildlife, I have never seen so many butterflies, they clearly know what to plant to encourage birds etc and have lots of quirky things around the garden to attract them in. We spent a few afternoons just sunbathing, relaxing, watching butterflies and being waited on! Debbie made us tasty vegan packed lunches as well which was a life saver! (they know places you can find vegan food though so do ask)
We visited the coast, lovely beaches,interesting towns, local markets, chateau's, borrowed bikes and cycled on the quietest roads ever with wild flowers everywhere.
We did 2 recommended by Daniel circular walks, just stunning.
Breakfast was delish too. Best vegan I have had, even homemade Soya yoghurt! Booked already for next June, see you there!

Pros: Delicious food!, Great location, Friendly atmosphere
Steffi Giraffe
Steffi Giraffe

Tres belle

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2013

I have only recently returned from a week at La Maison and I really miss everything about it, from the large, picturesque gardens to the pretty hotel room; the delicious, fresh meals and the rescued animals who share the land.

We wanted a relaxing, quiet holiday in an attractive location and that is what we got. The garden is big and interesting enough to spend considerable time just relaxing in it, sipping a cocktail and enjoying the sunshine and wildlife that visits it. It is also easy and enjoyable to walk or cycle to surrounding villages or the nearest town. There are many public gardens within a reasonable driving distance and the region is full of orchards which makes for green scenery and plenty of cider and Calvados!

The menu is not marked with items that are suitable for vegans but don't let that put you off if you are vegan. Many of the dishes are vegan and the others are readily adapted for you with generosity. Much of the produce comes from the garden and so the freshness is a huge selling point. The restaurant appears to be very popular with the (meat-eating) locals as well as people from further afield. I can particularly recommend the chocolate and apricot pudding - absolutely divine!

The only thing I didn't like (as a wildlife-orientated person) was the resident cats always trying to catch things (sometimes successfully) in a place that is otherwise a haven for creatures. That has always been a personal bugbear of mine though and one that isn't shared by most. On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised to see they allow dogs to stay so it is possible to have a proper family holiday! :)

I hope I will go back one day.

Pros: Beautiful gardens, Peaceful location, Fab for vegans
maryveganclimber
maryveganclimber

Highly recommend!

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

Me and my dog, Bella really enjoyed staying at La Maison du Vert. It was our absolute favorite place. It's hidden in the country side... very positive and magical place. Lovely gardens/property. They have rescued chickens and turkeys. Their home is very comfortable... and the food is amazing! We highly recommend you to stay here!! It was totally worth our time... we will return soon. Very vegan friendly.

Pros: vegan food, amazing gardens, comfortable rooms

Jonathan Smith
Jonathan Smith

Gorgeous setting, great food

Posted on 11 / 18 / 2010

A vegetarian B&B with a restaurant attached. The food is absolutely top notch and all freshly prepared. It might seem expemsive but you really do get what you pay for. vegans are well catered for with advance notice. The dessert of caramelised oranges in calvados (I think)was amazing - and I'm not generally a lover of fruit only desserts! The garden and the accommodation is superb too.

Pros: Amazing food, Freshly prepared, Just fantastic
Sarah P
Sarah P

MUST STOP HERE

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

A vegetarian oasis in the French countryside! Although not vegan, the owners & staff are completely knowledgeable and accommodating with their truly gourmet menu. The guesthouse was well worth the 2 1/2 hour drive out of the planned route, as the accommodations were so comfortable, the owners & staff were so kind & friendly, and the food was the best I had in my 2 weeks in France. Try the homemade drinks and the dishes with all local ingredients. My non-vegetarian companion agreed that this was some of the best food we experienced.

Pros: gourmet vegan food, super staff & owners, beautiful, quaint location
Cons: proximity to other Normandy destinations
RachelLouise
RachelLouise

A veggie haven in Normandy

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2009

This place is amazing. Normandy is a desert for vegans, and La Maison Du Vert is an oasis. I ate here for dinner with my fiance and my parents. We got there early and sat in the beautiful garden and played with one of the cats, Scampi. The food is outstanding. I had a "rosti", which is a big potato pancake with sauce and vegetables on it. My fiance had the Indian thali. For dessert, they made us vegan chocolate fondue with fruit. Everything was delicious, and the English staff are all very friendly. The place was crowded, and almost everyone was speaking English.

It is easy to get lost getting there, though. Make sure you get directions to Ticheville, France. The map we got from Happy Cow wasn't correct. La Maison Du Vert is right across the street from the church in Ticheville. It's a tiny town, so I don't think it's possible to miss it.

Pros: delicious food, cats, friendly staff
Cons: far away
bunnylover
bunnylover

Vegan paradise in a tiny Normandy village

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2009

I can't say enough wonderful things about La Maison du Vert. I stayed at the small, family-run inn and had my meals (breakfast and dinner) downstairs in the restaurant. They will do vegan meals if you request in advance, and they are gourmet quality. (See the sample menus on their website, they're to drool over!)Enjoy local apple cider, poiré (alcoholic pear drink), and pommeau (apple brandy drink) with your dinner. The setting is very lush and peaceful and green, and they rescue animals so there are cats, sheep, ducks, geese, turkeys, and chickens to keep you company. The owners are English people who also speak French.

Pros: excellent food, local ingredients, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of La Maison du Vert: