CLOSED: La Flor de Loto

Vegetarian Mexican restaurant. Name means "lotus flower." New location since spring 2008, now a large space. Friendly owner is from Oaxaca Mexico and specializes in a range of Mexican food that's vegetarian. Changing daily specials at around $6.50 each, rellenos, milaneza, tamales, tacos, horchata, smoothies. All-you-can-eat weekend buffet 12-5pm for around $10/person. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mexican, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by Shabs
Chia
Chia

Eat here when you're in the area

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and ate lunch here a while back. Here's my La Flor de Loto review.

It's a small place that serves all vegetarian Mexican food. On a quite street parallel to the bustling shopping street, Pacific.

The very nice owner is from Oaxaca, Mexico, where he used to run a vegetarian restaurant there as well. To me, La Flor de Loto is a brave little place that deserves a lot of recognition. It's the only pure vegetarian place in this area of Los Angeles. While the surrounding cities are lower income neighborhoods, Hunting Park is actually quite a vibrant place habituated by Mexican and Central & South American families.

We went on a Sunday when the main feature is an all-you-can-eat buffet for around $9 per person. It's a large buffet spread and some dairy/egg dishes as well as many vegan choices.

There's also lightly sweetened fresh juices, sweet bread, and fruit for dessert.

A varied a la carte photo menu is also available. The owner or server will tell you which dishes have dairy or egg, and which ones are vegan suitable. You have to ask.

Overall, I thought the food tasted kinda mild for Mexican food. Not spicy or heavy. It's a "lighter" version of Mexican food. I especially like the spiced red soup with faux shrimp and the fried tacos (yum). The sweet bread dessert was good, too (not too sweet).

retroearthgirl
retroearthgirl

flor de loto

3 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2007

they have an extensive menu. the food was ok. i went with the chorizo. If you go, i recommend the milanesa. its not in the best location but i believe they deserve a second chance so ill be going there again.

maryzaint
maryzaint

hmmm

3 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

i went to la flor recently and i was informed NOT MANY of the items were vegan. the gentleman who worked there informed me i had two options something or other with mushroom, or taquitos, i opted for the taquitos. i am still a bit weary about the food though, the guacamole tasted very much like the kind that has sour cream in it, that you can purchase at markets. and as for drinks with soy, i settled for simpled carrot juice just in case. i will go back again and talk to another employee about my options, and update my experience again. :)

Pros: friendly staff, decent pricing
Cons: unsure about vegan options
Shabs
Shabs

Sopes!!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2007

I wish I had written this review after having recently eaten there. All I know is that I ate there more than a couple of months ago, and I cannot stop thinking about their sopes. So amazing! Vegan, too. They also have amazing jamaica, and salsa. Can't wait to go again!

Pros: Friendly, Spiritual, Delicious

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: La Flor de Loto: