CLOSED: La Faim du Monde

Vegetarian food menu items include macrobiotic salad, red wine and miso onion soup, African Maffé, veggieburger, sandwiches, Indian specialties, and more. Casual, low-key atmosphere. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Macrobiotic, Indian, International, Beer/Wine

First Review by raphalla
sfek
sfek

Great reliable spot

4 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2010

I've been to this restaurant a few times and have always really enjoyed my food. The flavor is always great.
The decor is also nice, and the servers friendly. I value the little touches, like lemon and anise in the water.

Pros: great flavor
iwilldeny
iwilldeny

next to ChuChai/Chuch

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

We're from out of town and had always heard awesome things about ChuChai so we went to check it out, I wasn't a big fan but we noticed another vegetarian restaurant right beside and went back to check it out the next day. I really like this place, I always make a point of going when I'm in Montreal. My favourite thing to order is the veggie pate wrap. It's huge and delicious. I've also ordered a yellow curry from the menu and it was very nicely spiced and hearty. I've brought friends here and they've ordered an assortment of things and enjoyed it, so it seems like they have a pretty solid menu.

I found the decor and size appealing, and while the service wasn't over the top friendly/attentive they got the job done.

Not all vegan, but mostly. I'm pretty sure the menu specifies if it's vegan or not (it's been a little while...time for a trip soon).

Pros: good value, hearty foods, nice place
Alli
Alli

Giant portions!

4 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2010

We tried La Faim du Monde last week & were not at all disappointed. We were starving so we ordered an appetizer,(which I still don't regret because the food did take a while to arrive), & were shocked at the enormous main dishes! Luckily the condo we rented had a fridge so we could take the leftovers. We would have hated to waste all of that.

The food has more of a comfort style to it; mellow & wholesome. The menu had many choices with something for everyone.

Our server was very nice & helpful. She checked back a good amount of times.

The restaurant is somewhat small inside, but cute. They have an outdoor area in the front which would also make for an enjoyable dinner atmosphere when weather allows. We sat inside & had a lovely, romantic meal.

Pros: Great prices, Giant portions, Cute restaurant
Cons: Slightly less flavor than some places

evZENy
evZENy

Mixed feelings

3 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

From the previous 7 visits to Montreal, this was one of our favorite vegetarian spots. We loved the food and the table in the corner, where one can sit cross legged and the kids can play with the many toys while waiting for the food.
Yesterday we went again - walking all the way form the Old Port in the rain. We were short on time and asked for something that is probably ready and quicker to serve, like a soup. I guess our English wasn't clear enough as that wasn't communicated at all. No we could understand what is the soup of the day as our Canadian-French is pretty bad. Never mind - decided to order something in addition to the soup as there was only 1 other table with 2 people who came after us.
They were served first though. Our soup came extremely hot.
The waitresses were just switching shift, which could have been the reason why we had the cups from the previous customers half full on our table all the time. And never got our own. The food took waaaaay too long to prepare (which we usually don't mind). We aksed for taking it out and kept waiting. At the end I went to pay and it turned out it was ready and they didn't tell us.
So that's for service - very disappointing this time :-(
The food? The soup was good (why heat it so much though?). The Indian dish was great! Love every grain of rice in it :-). The noodles on the other hand - heavily burned. Threw most of them away. Guess not going again :-(
Not sure if it was our English which wasn't welcome, but we were quite sad after the visit of what we considered our favorite MTL spot :-(

Pros: ambiance, menu
Cons: service, communication
Jessica O
Jessica O

Good food, bad service.

2 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2009

Went here on a weekday afternoon, shortly after the lunch rush. Our waitress was awful. After being seated, she filled our water glasses and that was the only time they got filled throughout the whole meal and we were never asked if we wanted anything else to drink or how the meal was. We decided what we wanted, and waited about 10 minutes with our menus closed before she showed up to take our order. Our food came in a reasonable amount of time and it was good. I ordered the Mexican burger, which came with cabbage salad and rice. The salad was good, the rice was bland and the burger was delicious. My date ordered a plate of Indian foods, and quite enjoyed the food as well. Our waitress sat down to eat her meal about halfway through ours, before she even served the other party their main dishes...I only ate about half of what was on my plate, and the waitress took the rest and threw it away before I got a chance to ask her for it in a bag to take home. I should have asked immediately but I also think she could have asked me if I wanted to take it home, especially because it was still a large amount of food. Very disappointing.

Pros: good food
Cons: awful service
tiffanya
tiffanya

Bah

2 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2009

The first time I visited La Faim du Monde was shortly after it opened. I ordered a just OK Indian meal there and was so not impressed that I avoided the place...I mean ChuChai is next door and consistently good, so why bother? I re-visited Faim du Monde a couple of weeks ago and was once again disappointed. I ordered Buddha noodles and for a place that aims to be organic and eco or whatever, I was pretty put off by the insanely large portion. Actually, if the dish was any good maybe the wasted food on my plate would not have pissed me off so much since I would have eaten it. Way too much tempeh and tofu in the dish, not enough veggies or flavour. My bf had an African (?) dish over semolina which was equally bland. For what it is, too expensive and I felt gross afterward. Huge disappointment and I'll probably never go back there even though I have heard the burgers are good.

Pros: bookshelf, anise flavored water, chopsticks
Cons: portion, price, taste
thelink
thelink

Great relaxed night out

4 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2009

We spent a couple of weeks in Montreal in June and went for dinner at La faim du Monde twice.

We liked the atmosphere / decor and the music was groovie. The cook and waitress were very busy, and yet we didn't have to wait for our meals too long and the waitress was really friendly.

We were three people, so over the two nights we tried quite a few dishes in total and everything tasted very nice.

On our second visit we couldn't resist trying the vegan cakes, and there were quite a few on offer. I had a HUGE piece of chocolat - mint cake which tasted great and my friends' cakes tasted great too (I can't rememeber the flavours they had).

We also sampled the locally made organic beers which had funny names. Olala!

cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Some great choices, staff hit-and-miss, fair.

3 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2009

This place is good. It has some really wonderful dishes (yum, like the veggie chilli), some unique ones (like a beet-burger if I am not mistaken), and lots of rather plain ones. In general I find the prices a wee bit inflated, but that doesn't stop me from having lunch here once a month or so.

The staff can be hit and miss. Sometimes they are great. Other times, not so much. The last time I went she was so rude to me I couldn't believe it (this was before I was even seated - apparently I was reading the specials menu too slowly before taking my seat... in the empty restaurant). In fact, despite being the only customer, I waited 15 minutes to order and when the waitress never came back I actually left and went somewhere else. On the other hand, I would say 80% of my experiences here have been positive. The food usually comes very quickly, the soups can be great, and the garlic toast is stellar.

The desserts are over-priced and not worth it. Go to aux-vivres for dessert.

This used to be somehow connected with Pushaps, an indian restaurant in town, but I don't know if they are still connected. I never found Pushaps to be very good so I never order the indian food.

Pros: Some great options
Cons: Slightly pricey, staff hit and miss
chipden
chipden

new

2 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2009

We have just arrived from the restaurant, and I am sure we will not return.I went there with my husband, we are both vegetarians. I read the reviews on the restaurant from this site, and decided to give it a try. We are new in the city. Everythig was very spicy(hot) from the soup to the main course, without us asking for this. We had indian soup and the vegetables and tofu soup (both very hot). Then my husband had the chilli and burrito combo (it was already ordered, otherwise we would have stopped), we expected it to be spicy, but was quite over what we've expected. My main course was a quinoa burger with vegetables and salad. I found the salad was really good, it had a very suitable dressing,the vegetables were so and so, but the rest... hot spices tossed together with sweet ones and covered with a plain tomato sauce...The person serving was nice and helpfull, she actually reccomended me the combination I took as main course, and I'm sure she was well intended,but overall the experience was really dissapointing for us. When we left, my husband was already feeling quite sick, and now he is lying in bed with a "nice" indigestion. So you draw your own conclusions.

Pros: service, ambient, environment
Cons: food, spices, too hot spiced
csbench
csbench

Comfortable and Nourishing

3 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2009

My husband and I visited with a friend late on a Saturday night and enjoyed the atmosphere. It's one of those traditional veggie-type places that has a strong communal feel, an overworked but friendly waitstaff, and a slightly haphazard approach to keeping a good stock of everything on their menu. I say this actually not as a complaint, but just as a way of saying that it's not trying to be a fancy place -- sometimes that can hit the spot, especially on a freezing January night in Montreal.

The menu is quite broad, which unfortunately means that they don't completely hit the mark on everything. Some dishes are fabulous (veggie burgers and indian selections) and some seem more average. But all in all, they serve big portions, strong flavors, and a generally satisfying experience.

Pros: fair prices, cozy atmosphere, big portions
Cons: menu too big to be good at everything
CassieStar
CassieStar

La Faim du Monde keeps you satiated!

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2009

I had the Buddha noodles with tempeh and tofu which was absolutely delicious and the portion was enormous! My beau had the beet and quinoa burger, and he loved it, despite being an omnivore. We took his coleslaw and the remainder of my stir fry as a doggy bag and nothing went wasted. I recommend this place for great casual dining.

Pros: Reasonably priced, Huge menu selection, Great alcohol selection
Cons: No wine sold by the glass
ehm
ehm

good food made with love

4 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2008

I went here for an early dinner. It's the first vegetarian restaurant I found in Montreal (I'm visiting). I was surprised by how good it was! Lot's of variety on the menu including juice, wine, and beer. I got a super-good salad that had a bunch of unique and fresh vegetables and it was nicely prepared. You can see the kitchen from where you are eating which I always like. There was just one wait staff for the restaurant and they probably could have used two once the place filled up. Overall, a really good place that gave me plenty of reasons to go back.

Pros: fresh produce, variety
Cons: no vegan options for cheese
khb
khb

large portions

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2008

We went here for lunch and sat on the patio. We had samosas (which were pleasantly spicy and came with an unusual sour-but-not-sweet tamarind dipping sauce), a hummus sandwich (which was HUGE - I could only eat half of it), and a burger (which was also large and came with potato wedges that were nice). The food was all pretty good, and the prices very reasonable. The water seemed to be flavored with anise or something, which is different. I didn't notice any problems with the service - it wasn't super-fast, but it wasn't slow either.

Pros: good food, large portions, pleasant environment
philjdomm
philjdomm

awesome et monde:worldly

3 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2008

dessert not so good but fresh cooked meals offered all over the world cuisines, magnifique

PlanetEarth
PlanetEarth

Worked here

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2008

I worked at this place as line cook for a while;
perfect philosophy. Awesome food. Menu is quite unique. Boss is friendly. A unique place...mandates a visit if you're into healthy food and a healthier planet. I'm biased cuz I worked here and wish I could keep working.

Pros: everything
Cons: can be slow
raphalla
raphalla

ok

3 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2008

Went there for dinner. Food was rather good, but service was a bit too slow. Our African meal and miso noodle took more than half an hour to be done.

Pros: Food, Ambient
Cons: Service

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: La Faim du Monde: