La Faim des Haricots -...

All-you-can-eat salad buffet spread. Many items do contain egg and/or dairy, vegan to ask. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Buffet, Salad bar, French, Western, Take-out

First Review by justin
Kittybiscuit
Kittybiscuit

Very basic

3 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2013

Firstly, the staff were really nice, it was easy to find and I liked the decor. Secondly, it is reasonably priced and points to them for operating a veg restaurant in Toulouse. I'm vegetarian but prefer to eat vegan when there are options. As other reviews have mentioned there are not a lot of vegan options. I took soup and salad and whilst there was a good number of salads, it did remind me of a meal I would have made myself or others would make for me when I first became vegetarian. I just think more imagination could really make their food delicious and accessible for vegans.

Pros: nice staff, cheap
Cons: lack if vegan options, bland
JonJon
JonJon

Paradise for vegetarians, hell for vegans...

2 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2013

As a vegetarian, I would have probably ranked this restaurant with four cows. But, as a vegan, and because of the excessive use of dairy products (in almost every of the interesting dishes, even the houmous!) and the lack of vegan alternatives, I definitely rank this restaurant with two---unhappy---cows.

The restaurant offers unlimited hot and cold vegetarian buffet (including different pies), unlimited soup and unlimited dish of the day at a very reasonnable price. The staff is friendly, and is aware of what veganism is even if the restaurant is not really vegan friendly. The location is practical and the place very nice. However, as a vegan, it is not really good value for money because there is very, very few choices, only in the cold buffet, with mostly a flavorless taste. Moreover, vegan choices are not clearly indicated, and worst, some of the dishes, whose ingredients are written in front of the buffet and appear to be vegan, contains in fact milk, without it was written! That is the case of the houmous. Why milk in houmous?!

Concluding, go if you're vegetarian, avoid if you're vegan. Needs a lot of improvements to be interesting for vegans.

Pros: unlimited buffet at reasonnable price, friendly staff, good location and nice place
Cons: very few vegan choices, no-dairy & no-eggs not clearly indicated, savorless vegan choices
number6
number6

limited choice for vegans

3 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2013

Great place for vegetarians and my two omnivore friends loved it, too. However, often limited to just the salad bar for vegans (and a number of the cold dishes are not vegan including the hummus). The food is divided into a cold salad bar and hot dishes and you choose if you want one or the other or both with/without a dessert (all options are cheap). On the two days I ate here, only one day was there a vegan hot option. Overall: friendly, cheap and cheerful but could cater a lot better for vegans with a little thought.

Pros: friendly, cheap
Cons: limited for vegans
savouringsustainable
savouringsustainable

Excellent Vegetarian Restaurant in the City Centre

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2013

This place is fantastic! You choose which courses you want to eat (salads, tartes salees, soups (in winter), dish of the day, and desserts) and then can eat all you want of their delicious offerings! I particularly like the salads and tartes salees, though the desserts are great too! You can read a bit more and see some photos on my blog post about this restaurant - http://savouringsustainability.blogspot.fr/2013/04/vegetarian-restaurant-in-toulouse.html

Highly recommended!

Pros: great food, good value, vegan and gluten free offerings
Cons: can be noisy, busy after 8pm
O-liv
O-liv

Don't go there

2 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

We stopped off at this restaurant, looking for a place to eat. My friend and I are both vegan, so we asked what the vegan options where. The waitress was very nice, and let us in to show us.

None of the dishes were vegan (there were 3 quichs, and some cooked vegetables). What was left was a salad bar, with limited options, and even more limited vegan options. In fact, there was no more here than in any regular salad bar. Worst of all, is that we found out that even the humous isn't vegan, as it contains milk, and that the food isn't even cooked on location. I'm glad we left when we saw how little there was for us to eat.

Cons: not vegan, not cooked on location

WarrenM
WarrenM

Convinced my kids!

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

Turned up at 14:30 and they had run out of food. Went back at 19:00 when they re-opened for dinner and tucked into curry, couscous, quiches, salads, desserts and kept going until we were nearly exploding. Convince my kids that veggie food can be tasty and filling.

Prices are from EUR 10 to EUR 15 per person depending on which of the all you can eat options you choose.

Pros: Tasty, Great value for money, Wide choice
Cons: Food runs out quickly at lunchtime
Olive
Olive

Great all you can eat !

5 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2012

The restaurant is very well located in the center of Toulouse.
The staff is friendly.

It's an all you can eat restaurant where you pay 10 to 14 € according to how many categories of food you choose (salads, dish of the day, salty tarts, soups, desserts and ice cream), so it's quite cheap !
The variety of food is very satisfying, especially for salads. The food is fresh and tasty, and some of the dishes are very original !
The only bad point is the ice cream : it's cheap low quality industrial one...

But besides this, I highly recommand this place !!!

Pros: well situated * friendly staff, fresh and tasty food, quite cheap
Cons: ice creams is low quality
heuschrecke
heuschrecke

Nice location

4 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2011

When we arrived at 7 we thought we would be the only ones there - as so often in vegetarian restaurants in France - but within half an hour the place was bursting. It was very loud in there but the food was good and there was plenty of it. The nice waiter spoke English fluently.

Pros: various kinds of food, nice staff
Cons: noisy, few options for vegans
AlysonJayne
AlysonJayne

Don't mention 'bio'

2 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2011

I'm a vegetarian and only eat dairy produce which is organic - for its ethical, environmental and health reasons. As most of the dishes in this restaurant include cheese I asked the waiter if any of their cheese was 'bio' to which he replied "We are a vegetarian restaurant - not a bio restaurant!". Not an unusual response to expect from a French waiter, but I don't think I'll be going back.

Pros: Location
Cons: Not enough vegan dishes, No organic dairy produce
CarlLienert
CarlLienert

Hungry Bean

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2011

Highly recommended. It's not vegan but pretty much as close as it gets in France. If you're not a strict vegan well worth a little dairy. It's on a nice quiet street in Toulouse - even fewer smokers sitting outside than usual!

Don't be confused by the format - it's basically "all you can eat," you just have to pick which sections you want to eat from.

Pros: good food, nice location
estefinparis
estefinparis

Limited options for vegans

3 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

La faim des haricots deserves praise for going fully vegetarian in Toulouse, but vegans will have a hard time concocting a satisfying meal. Located in a quiet street in the city centre, shortly after sitting down and indicating one of us was vegan, we were taken aback by the waiter's comment - "you won't find much to eat here". Certainly not off to a good start. The options were vegetable lasagna (with cheese), several quiches (with cheese and egg), about half a dozen desserts (none vegan) and a good selection of salads, which were clearly labeled. A couple of salads were the only vegan options that day. The quality was ok, nothing to rave about, not sure I'd be going back if in Toulouse...

hoppipolla
hoppipolla

undoubtedly best in Toulouse

5 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2011

This is my totally favorite place in Toulouse. I always leave it completely replete, because one cannot resist to taste everything :) Even if I prefer the vegan food, that's no problem,'cause the consistency of most of served food is clearly marked or can be get by staff speaking perfect english. You can choose any of the offered menu: salads, soup, main dish, cheese cake and dessert; there is a discount when taking all of them.
Perhaps the only cons is that the room is quite small and sometimes overcrowded.
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 02, 2011

Pros: all-you-can-eat, clear marking of food ingredients, very friendly staff
Cons: small tables and room
faith77
faith77

La Femme des Haricots

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

We are in Toulouse for the first time and just had dinner at La Femme des Haricots and have fallen in love with it! The restaurant is very welcoming and colorful and we were immediately greeted and helped, despite our lack of French! They have multiple stations there: 3 soups to choose from a and tart/quich area (where we had the most amazing eggplant and feta tart and vegetable soup), a salad area with an astounding array of choices-fresh spinach and wheatberry salad, curried zucchini, greek pasta,lentils, hummus, the list goes on and on. And last but not least, the dessert section was amazing! We indulged in the plum and abricot cobbler with toppings of your choice and I topped it with some fresh French yogurt while my husabnd chose the coconut pound cake with a scrumptious chocolate sauce on top! We also got an appertif of a drink which had variety of fruit juices (guava, pineapple) with rum in it! They encouraged you to go back as often as you wanted and the price was amazing, about 14 euros per person. We are here for a few more days and I already want to go back again. hope you can check it out sometime! Also, the waiter was very nice! I hear they have an organic outdoor market 2x a week so I am looking forward to checking that out too!

beavers
beavers

Not to be missed

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2009

We went to this place twice in the four days we were in Toulouse, on the Saturday night we got there and then on the Tuesday lunch time before we left. It is quite superb,ticking all the boxes in terms of taste, variety, value and ambience. Once you've deciphered how it works it's a joyful experience. You are charged not on what you eat but on how many courses you have. Hot and cold food count as separate courses but in each case you are allowed (indeed positively encouraged) to go up and refill as often as you like. It's the same with the sweets. The salad bar was superb, so many choices and all mouth-watering. The hot section had a choice of four different tarts as well as a curry. There were also eight different puddings, tempting you to have a dip of several - though the main courses are so good the problem is in keeping back enough room. The decor is bright and colourful and the all the staff were friendly and attentive, constantly refreshing your supplies of (fresh) bread and water. It's a place you feel like lingering, not least in the hope of finding room for more, and despite its popularity you never feel hurried. We went to both the town's main veggy eateries - and this is much the best, indeed one of THE best we've eaten at anywhere. Don't miss it.

Pros: Taste, choice, value
Cons: potentially confusing system
justin
justin

Fantastic place to eat.

5 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2007

You don't find many veggie restaurants in France like this, besides in Paris. If you're in Toulouse, stop by. The lunch buffet is unbelievable.

Pros: selection, quality of food, all-you-can-eat
Cons: busy

Dear Owner and Manager of La Faim des Haricots - Puits Vert: