La Cocina Restaurant and...

Serves meat, veg options available. Global cuisine with a focus on fresh, local ingredients. Offers multiple vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free items clearly labeled. Sustainable wines. Seating areas include large courtyard, cantina, and dining room. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Mexican, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
201 N Court Ave (downtown)
Tucson, Arizona 85701
520-622-0351

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by deborahcanon
sweetheart930
sweetheart930

Only 1 vegan entree left

1 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2013

Since I discovered La Cocina they have been steadily getting less & less vegan friendly. When I first started going there about 2 years ago, they had a menu where all the items that were vegan (or could be made vegan) were clearly marked. A few months later I noticed they had changed their menu- vegan items were no longer marked & a few of them were gone altogether. However, at that time there were still several vegan appetizers & entrees on the menu as well as a vegan dessert, so we continued to go there. Tonight my husband & I met some friends there & found the menu has changed again. The items I had planned to order were all off the menu. I asked our waitress what items on this new menu were vegan & she started naming off a lot of salads-minus-the-meat-or-cheese that came on them. I asked about entrees & she said the quinoa with tofu...that was it. I knew the veggie burger used to be vegan, so I asked if it still was & she said she would check. We also said we would like to order the chips with salsa & guacamole appetizer if the guacamole was still vegan. When she returned she told us that the veggie burger was no longer vegan & neither was the guacamole. Then she actually said, "We're not a very vegan-friendly establishment." I ordered the only remaining vegan entree & a garden salad. The description of the garden salad just said greens, tomatoes, & cucumbers, but I asked just to verify that nothing non-vegan came on the salad. My husband didn't want the only vegan entree, so he asked if he could order their GLBT (guacamole, lettuce, bacon or tofu, tomato) with the tofu, but instead of the non-vegan guacamole just get sliced avocado. She said yes, but when our food came my garden salad had cheese on top & my husband's sandwich came with bacon instead of tofu! No one asked if we wanted dessert, so we're not sure if the vegan dessert is still available or not. Overall this was an extremely disappointing experience & we will not be going back to this restaurant very often, if at all.

Cons: no longer vegan-friendly
artlady
artlady

Nice

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2012

Nice atmosphere, awesome servers, great vegan and vegetarian choices. What a pleasant surprise in Tucson. Being vegan and having many non vegan friends, this would be a to go place. Nice menu for all with a chef willing to make changes. With that said, my tofu scramble was a little disappointing. I am finding out in Tucson that scramble to them means chopped. I will go back and order again and make sure it is scrambled. The choices to put into the sramble were many I am sure this will happen because we did some switch out and the server always said NO PROBLEM. I am also seeing Tucson restaurants using soy sauce and am learning to ask of they are because it is way too much sodium for me. I hate having to do that because it truely makes me feel like a real PITA ( pain in the a_ _ ). Also, the outdoor setting is awesome and natenolol do you sit amongst all these trees while you eat but you are surrounded by wonderful galleries and shops.

Pros: Friendly staff, Healthy cuisine, Great setting
Waldohood
Waldohood

Delightful!!!!!!!

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

Exceptional staff, delicious food, socially minded shops, quaint setting. It was perfect. I found a vegan option that was great as did my husband who is not vegan. And my son had a burger that he thought was delicious. I highly recommended this place!

Pros: Staff, Food, Shops/ courtyard

linaE
linaE

Very good food and great atmosphere! We liked!

4 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2011

My family & I walked over here after a childrens' event at the Main Library. It was around 2 and we got in on the brunch menu. Hubby's a vegan, 8yr old is an ovo-veg, and I eat it all. We all found something on the menu to please. There are a LOT of items listed vegan and important things like Walnuts in the veggy burger listed on menu. We shared the humus plate, a tofu scramble, and vegan b'fast burrito, plus coffee w/ soy creamer and an OJ... all came to about $26, not bad at all! Sadly we were told that there is usually music during brunch but they'd cancelled that day. 8yr old thought the courtyard seating was very cool as she could explore a bit and still be within sight, it wasn't very crowded. It didn't take very long to give our order nor for food to arrive, and check came in a reasonable time. It's definitely a place to relax and slow down and enjoy your food and music. We didn't get to wander too much around the artisan shops, but there were lots of lovely things in what we did see. I think we'll be bringing the in-laws here when they come to visit in Dec.

Pros: excellent food, great outdoor seating, very friendly staff
Cons: might be a little slow on a busy night
safara
safara

good title

4 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2011

I absolutely loved it. The restaurant is very accomendating to dietary needs. The food is tasteful and the atmosphere is lovely, with a courtyard, tables and music. Little shops surround it, its eclectic and colorful. Wonderful menu of ample veg meals

Pros: great atmosphere, eclectic food, accomendating
deborahcanon
deborahcanon

A great find in downtown Tucson !

4 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

As reported, very vegetarian & vegan friendly! Some dishes are naturally vegetarian, many others offer veg options. Good place for veg/non-veg couple or family to dine, even having same entree with differing options. Fantastic location, tucked inside a courtyard with overarchinglighte d trees, water pool, singing birds some nights have live music. Open hours are continuous so no need to worry about break between lunch & dinner. Highly recommended.

Pros: many veg choices, friendly staff, outside courtyard child & dog friendly
Cons: portions may seem smaller to some

Dear Owner and Manager of La Cocina Restaurant and Cantina: