Panaderí­a y cafetería. Menu features mostly Mexican dishes, plus salads, pizza, and sandwiches. Has a nice inside patio. In the same building you find a Spanish school, cinema club, and yoga room. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Mexican, Western

First Review by knowlesnotbeyonce
LaTia
LaTia

So so and expensive

2 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2014

I didn't care for the food I ordered - I had a soup and a tamale plate. It was too bland. Also very expensive. They advertise as "organic" but many people have said it's simply not so - there is some organic food but much is just Sams flour in the bread (The House of Bread) and selling it as organic so they can charge more.

Pros: Vegetarian, Easy to get to
Cons: Untrustworthy, Bland
shadowmack
shadowmack

Excellent

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

I am so surprised to read some negative reviews about this place. The food here is delicious. The ingredients used are of high quality. The lunch buffet has beautiful prepared salads. There are many vegan options. The staff is nice and efficient. It is moderately priced. Excellent!

Pros: Quality Ingredients, Lunch Buffet, Delicious
Cons: Space could use a feng shui makeover
MichaelKalmanovitch
MichaelKalmanovitch

Casual Vegetarian Eating

3 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2014

Last time I was in San Cristobal de las Casas I ate here and though it was good I found it expensive. I ate mostly at another vegetarian restaurant (sadly now closed).
Someone reminded me about this place yesterday and I thought I would try it again since I do like my money to go and support the vegetarian/vegan/alternative culture.
I had excellent enchiladas verdes for breakfast (their coffee was not as smooth as the coffee shop next door).
I also tried out their buffet for a late lunch. It is MX$120 but if you are hungry and can eat lots it is certainly worth the money and the volume you can eat. Unfortunately someone in the kitchen needs to use a bit more spice and herbs for some of their dishes (you can add salsas and condiments yourself though). The plantano lasagna was good but could have used some herbs and spices to take it to another level.
On the whole I would certainly return but I would recommend that they encourage their kitchen to use more spices and herbs. We are here to experience the flavours of Mexico - not mediocrity.
Great Lime pie for dessert.
I would give it 3.5 cows but the system only allows 'fair' and 'very good'.

Pros: Vegetarian, Support Counter Culture
Cons: Needs more spice/herb/flavour

Crustina
Crustina

Good but not great

3 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2014

I agree with some of the comments being made about the food being bland. Me and my partner went twice while in San Cristobal. Once for breakfast, which was encredibly bland and lacked salt and spice. The Chilaquile was great with extra salt though.
And once for lunch, which was much better. We had potatoes & oyster mushrooms in sauce which was good. And grilled veggies with beans and rice, which was great. The homemade bread was awesome! Vegan options were many, but be very specific (it doesnt hurt to say it twice) as they forgot both times and served us stuff with cheese and cream. They took it away and gave us new food without complaints though.

Pros: Lots of options to be made vegan., Traditional mexican food! , Lovely setting.
Cons: Lacks spice and salt. , Many young backpacker hippy types.
Eric_
Eric_

Good but there's no lack of alternatives

3 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2013

The veggie burger was nothing out of the ordinary, but the breakfast tamales were great (and very filling). The croissant was different from the normal European ones - much thicker - but tasty.

Pros: Lots of options, alcohol, wifi
Cons: Feels very touristic
choogirl
choogirl

A good meal

4 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2013

I went here twice. The first time I just had the vegan lemon coconut tart and it was so delicious. Highly recommend trying. The second time I had a vegan burrito and it was really good. I also tried the yogi tea, which you can order with soy milk. This was one of the nicest teas I've tried in a long time.

I think if you're vegetarian, this restaurant is great. The menu says they can veganise anything, but I'm not sure how that would work for some items that are particularly cheese heavy. Still, I liked what I ate and would recommend going here.

Pros: Vegan dessert, Yogi tea
Cons: Can be a bit expensive, street sellers coming in while you eat
enRoute
enRoute

Could be a lot better, some very bright spots

4 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2013

In general, I feel that the other reviewers have a point, but may have not approached the place from the right angle.

True, this place could be SO fantastic, it has the space, kitchen, and resources to put out some incredibly creative food. The attached health food store sells ingredients which would easily make this a 5-star option. However, there are some issues (blandness, lack of vegan options), which I think they are trying to address with their upcoming new menu.

There's no doubt that the current menu is "ovo-lacto" on steroids; it seems to come from the school of thought which believes you should eat eggs, milk, and cheese morning, noon, and night. It's disheartening to see a page of egg breakfasts and nothing featuring the fresh tofu that they also have access to.

However, there is still great food to be had here, and a lot of potential which isn't found on the menu. For example, you can request to replace many egg dishes with tofu, or ask for customized vegan options (just double check that they really brought you something without cheese, as it depends on the waiter's communication with the kitchen).. Yes, the food is typically bland, but you can request chile, spicy sauce, freshly ground lback pepper, and other condiments, or even buy them from the little shop next door. The buffet is hit or miss; sometimes it's great, others it seems like hunks of melted cheese things with some lettuce. They occasionally have delicious vegan tofu cream pie deserts.

Give it a try, but be patient and try to wring what you can out of the place. With so many recent closures of veggie restaurants, it's almost all we have left. The space is beautiful and sometimes features live music, most employees are friendly and helpful, and if you put some effort into it you can get some satisfying breakfasts and lunches.

Pros: One of the only veg restaurants left her, Nice space, Special requests generally welcome
Cons: Menu is way too ovo-lacto focused, Food is hit or miss, Does not live up to its potential
bianchina
bianchina

unfortunately not as great as it could be

3 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

I was also disappointed that the food here was bland. Strangely, I think the Mexican food I make at home is much nicer, more spicy, well flavoured and delicious. This food was quite plain, the mole which I was excited to try just tasted like sugary BBQ sauce or something. That said, I loved the blue corn tortillas; there was a good heap of vegies with the food; and the service was reasonably quick and friendly. I'd try it again.

Pros: got vegan food with no problem, decent service and atmosphere, interesting, cheap cinema out the back
Cons: not much flavour , a little pricey
bencamps
bencamps

Mediocre at Best

3 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2012

Visited on 15th June 2012. After reading the first review I have to admit I was a little unsure weather to go to La Casa del Pan on Real de Guadalupe, however I figured that after a couple of years they may not food poison people anymore. Luckily they don't. The restaurant is in an old, pretty colonial building and the decor is pleasant. I had tamales with beans and asked for no cheese, cream etc (in Spanish), my girlfriend had enchiladas with mole sauce. Unfortunately the centre of my tamales had a small amount of cheese. I had eaten enough beans that I couldn't be bothered to complain. Apart from the rouge cheese in my food it tasted bland anyway. And my partner said the same about her meal. All in all not so good.

Pros: Nice place, Friendly
Cons: Not really that vegan friendly, Bland
knowlesnotbeyonce
knowlesnotbeyonce

Please avoid this place!

2 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2010

I read great reviews about the Navarro location so my girlfriend and I decided to try the Guadalupe locale since we had some shopping to do on that street anyway. What a big mistake! We both decided to take the daily buffet for 80 pesos and it was horrid. We started with bland vegetable soup of the like served in retirement homes. Then we had a salad bar which was actually pretty good, although plain. Our main course was stewed potatos in old bay seasoning. Thats it. Just potatos. Nothing Mexican, nothing delicious. Just potatos. We then had a decent flan for dessert. All of this would have been fine, as we were full. We would have just chalked it up to bland vegetarian food and would not have returned. About two hours after eating it, my girlfriend got violently ill. She has spent the entire night puking with horrible stomach cramps, shakes, and diaharrea. We had not eaten anything else yesterday except the buffet. There was no one eating here on a Saturday afternoon and now maybe I see why. It was overpriced and un-fresh. Maybe some of the lettuce or veggies were old or unwashed. I dont know, but it ruined the rest of our weekend. With so many delicious veg places to choose from in this town, dont bother with this one.

Pros: decent flan
Cons: made us ill, bad service, completely empty restaurant

Dear Owner and Manager of La Casa del Pan: