La Cantina del Huerto de Lucas

Serves meat, veg options available. Restaurant inside the La Huerta de Lucas, where one can find an organic store, different market stands (produce, bakery, ice creams, juice bar, tea/coffee) and an organic beauty center. A haven with hanging and vertical gardens, an indoor seating area and a social awareness towards special needs and special choice diets, including vegan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Juice bar, Salad bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
Calle San Lucas 13
Madrid, Spain 28004
+34-915135466
  • Wheelchair accessible

First Review by henrikw
henrikw
henrikw

a popular health food place!

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2015

La Cantina has a interesting menu where different items are clearly marked for people on different diets. The interior is airy with plants hanging from the ceiling and dining area surrounded fresh produce and other organic stuff on display. You can just take a bag and go pick up what you want as you wait for your meal. With high hopes, we were really looking forward to sample their food. Which turned out be a disappointment. The appetizer, a rösti with curry sauce, was okay but the main dishes were not. I had pumpkin (my favorite) with quinoa and my partner had a veggie burger. Both were dry and tasteless, and the french fries saggy with too much oil. Just the way I would think the non-vegans would imagine a vegan dish to be. As this establishment thrives to educate people about healthy eating, it's sad to see them fail quite miserably with vegan stuff. Also the service was bad. First they served us a mushroom risotto that we haven't ordered. I sent it back but it was still included in our bill and I had to point this out to the waiter. Overall the service was very slow. We had to wait for our main dishes for about 45 minutes. Then in the end it took me almost 10 minutes to get the attention of the waiter to get the bill. The place was full but that was not a excuse. Same evening we dined at Vega. It was full too but everything went really smoothly and the food was great.

Pros: the airy interior, Organic food store
Cons: Food, Service

Dear Owner and Manager of La Cantina del Huerto de Lucas: