Serves meat, veg options available. All veg except for fish (tuna). Based in a former chocolate factory. Serving hot and cold drinks, soups, tapas, and main dishes with vegan choice. Very informal and casual. Wi-fi access and plenty of reading material. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Spanish, Non-veg
Calle Flassaders 30 (Carrer de la Princesa, near Metro L4 Jaume I)
Barcelona, Spain 08003
0034-933199866

Open Wed-Sat 13.00-23.30, closed Tue.

First Review by dagny70
apartment2504
apartment2504

La Bascula – a charming place with not so charming

1 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2014

I was there just on the 12th of August so I don't think it's gone. It did not look like it would be closing any time soon but might have been hard to find

This is another restaurant I found on happy cow.

La Bascula is a restaurant located in one of my favourite parts of Barcelona – Passeo del Born. The walls are red, the lights are dimmed and the tables are made of old doors. The restaurant has defenitely the typical Barcelona charme which draws me back to this city.

When we first came in we saw signs saying ”order at the bar” so we got the menu at the bar without realizing that the actual menu was written on a huge chalkboard at the left side of the bar. I read later on that it is only possible to get the full menu behind the bar – well too late. So I chose a hot sandwich with seitan and a cherry – chocolate cake. The sandwich was ok, I definitely had nicer sandwiches before. The only vegan cake available was also sugar free, but sadly absolutely disgusting. It was dry and tasteless at the same time. I had one bite and could not eat more.

The food was served in paper plates with biodegradable plastic cutlery which is questionable on how environmental friendly it is. There was a few other customers in the restaurant and the portions on their plates were rather small for a high price.

All together the food is overprized and sadly the cake was a real dissapointment. I would not recommend this place for anyone visiting Barcelona, there is lots of other beautiful vegetarian restaurants in the area.

TauTau
TauTau

Seems to be gone

1 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

There's a different restaurant in the same location with another name. Seems the owner changed. New restaurant has no signs of vegetarian or vegan food

boruzo
boruzo

high cost for what it is

3 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

The taste is ok, but i considered it a little high in costa and they werent really complicated dishes.
Though i do recommend it, maybe its what you're looking for ;)

bella tomato
bella tomato

ok for a quick bite

3 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

My omni boyfriend and I went here for a quick dinner. We didn't realise that there was a full menu as there were about ten options written up on a chalkboard and a menu wasn't given to us. You have to ask behind the counter to get the full menu, which we realised later. You also order at the bar.
We ordered off the specials board a rice noodle stirfry and a curry served with cous cous. The food was served in paper plates with biodegradable plastic cutlery. The stirfry was tasty but lacked any protein source and I was still hungry afterwards. The curry came with large chunks of veggies but was fairly bland. The food was certainly passable, but nothing special. My boyfriend got a housemade lemonade with mint which was tasty but again, served in a plastic cup. Our meals were about 9 euros each, which seemed a bit expensive for what they were.
Since I was still hungry I looked at the full menu but found only one or two vegan options. I was also a bit weirded out to notice there was salmon (though apparently no other fish or meat) on the menu.
I would eat here again if I was in the area and needed a quick bite, but I wouldn't seek it out.
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 22, 2013

Cons: serves salmon
hack_man
hack_man

Little Jewel

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2012

A splendid rustic little place in a magnificent part of town. Set on a narrow street in a former chocolate factory, dimly lit with an old fashioned interior. Tables are simply old wooden doors raised on legs with high chairs. They serve a soup of the day which is usually vegan but it's a bit pricey at €5. All food and drinks are served in paper cartons, cup and plates and they use plastic cutlery. This obviously saves on the washing up but is it environmentally friendly? There could be good cases for both arguments. We didn't have main courses but they looked very good with good vegan choice. There is also a large range of teas and infusions and decent coffee. I'd certainly like to go back for an evening meal to make a more infomed opinion of the place. It's certainly somewhere you could spend an afternoon reading a book, surfing the net on the free wi-fi whilst supping a few hot drinks and just relaxing.

Pros: lighting, ambience
Cons: expensive, rickety chairs
Calypso Angst
Calypso Angst

Cosy quirky vegan food in Barcelona.

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2012

La Bascula is a lovely little vegetarian cooperative run cafe with a quirky and fun old interior that is typical of Barcelona: red walls; the lighting is low; the table tops are doors; and there are chairs stuck to the walls. That is so Barcelona. And lots of big windows.

See pics and read more about La Bascula here:

Pros: dog friendly, wi fi, Atmosphere
Cons: bad hot chocolate
asantarpia
asantarpia

Perfect little neighborhood spot!

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2012

An adorable little spot on Carrer dels Flasseders, #30 in Passeo del Born (apparently, the SoHo of Barcelona - which I may differ with). Maia, the manager there, is very welcoming and speaks great English and is willing to help with menu suggestions. She was so welcoming that she reminded/warned us that we have to be careful in Barcelona and particularly, in Born for a "pregnant" older woman who asks for money while she's taking yours. We were appreciate of the wisdom and on the lookout while we still thoroughly enjoyed the laid back atmosphere here and the food (very casual, shorts, bikes, flip flops, any outfit and anyone but that pregnant lady thief, of course, welcome there). For a vegan like me to travel out of my vegan comfort zone in the US, I am extremely happy with my first choice in Barcelona for dinner. To top it all off, La Bascula offers "take away" and Maia had just finished preparing the raw vegan dark chocolate cake; so, how could I resist a slice of Vegan Barca Heaven on the way out? That should go well with a cava to end the evening, right?!

Highly recommend this little nook of a vegan place. Maia is a delight and seriously, a chill spot that reminds me of living in Park Slope.

Pros: Delish, Casual, At Home
dagny70
dagny70

Great Food

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

We had a great meal here on our last evening in Barcelona. Interior is very basic - old doors form communal dining tables and it's all a bit dingy, but perhaps this is part of its charm. The server did warn me to keep a close eye on my handbag, and there were several posters dotted around saying the same thing - but I think you just need to apply some common sense and street smarts. The menu was pretty substantial plus there were several daily specials (and there is an English/Spanish dictionary at the back of the menu to help you figure it out). In the end I had zucchini & tofu with lentils and basmati rice and my partner had aubergine escalopes with rice & salad, plus we had 2 coffees, all for 20 euro. I thought the paper plates and plastic cutlery was a bit weird and not environmentally friendly, but the food was delicious and it was right in the heart of the city. Bueno!

Pros: Great food, Good Value, Good location
Cons: Disposable plates?

Dear Owner and Manager of La Bascula: