Serves meat, veg options available. Chinese food place that also offers extensive vegetarian and vegan dishes. Many substitute meats including mock shrimp, chicken, duck, and beef. Sample dishes such as sweet & sour vege chicken dish and vege kung pao beef. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Asian, Take-out, Delivery, Catering, Non-veg
7853 Santa Monica Blvd (N Fairfax Ave)
West Hollywood, California 90046
323-848-9888
Now Open

Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm

First Review by bignameactress

Modern and Trendy with Tasty Fusion Food

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2015

Under the recommendation of a friend I'm met with, I arrive to one of the worst parking lots (*see Note) as it competes with the Whole Foods Market, but hey, if you do get a parking spot, you can shop after you eat. As I wait for my lunch companion to arrive, I notice the "communist" gray with ironic red trim that reminds me of the lucky red envelops you receive on lunar new year. I couldn't help but think of a rich culture escaping and rising above an oppressive and depressing mindset.

Once my friend arrives we order Vegan Orange Chicken Lunch Special and the Vegan Beef with Broccoli. This establishment carries a large vegan menu which also sensitive to food allergies and gluten free diets. As we wait for the food, we discuss the interior design and to my relief he says "oh, yea...this is totally communist gray...and it's totally ironic". Also, check out the bathroom, it reminds me of the Tim Burton movie "Beetlejuice". Let me know if you think so, too.

The food arrives and to my delight the lunch special is served on a sectional red and "communist" gray tray that's about as big as an old school laptop with a huge scoop of rice, egg drop soup, salad, condiments, and a tasty egg roll. A good egg roll makes everything better. My Orange Chicken's crunchy edges balances textures and flavors. The ginger zings in the salad dressing. We agree the egg drop soup is authentically slimy, but its unusual vegetable overload redeems it. "I usually don't get the veggie beef, but this is really good," my sleepy friend seems woken up by the surprise enjoyment. I sample a fork full to whole-heartedly concur.

I wish I knew about this place when I worked in West Hollywood.

Veg out,

www.VeggieArmy.com

*Note to West Hollywood: you've known that you're one of the hottest most fashionable areas in Southern California for decades now...get some affordable parking structures.

Blind_Mary
Blind_Mary

Definitely Worth Checking Out

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2013

My parents were in town visiting so I tried to find a place that was vegan friendly. I stumbled upon Kung Pao Bistro and I have to say I'm in love. I tried the vegan chicken and spinach wonton soup, vegan cashew chicken, and vegan robot chicken; all of which are phenomenal. They also have a large tea selection which is nice. The servers are friendly and the food came out pretty fast. I'll definitely be back!

Pros: Excellent Service, Delicious Dishes, Large Vegan Selection
bignameactress
bignameactress

Favorite chinese restaurant!!

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2011

Welcome to HappyCow, Kung Pao!!

This is, hands down, my favorite chinese restaurant simply based on their vegetarian mock meat dishes.

The Vegetarian Orange Chicken and the Vegan Kung Pao Beef are TO-DIE-FOR. Admittedly, I've not tried many other items, because these are just so delicious I can't imagine another dish tasting any better.

-The Vegetarian Orange Chicken is excellently sweet and crunchy/chewy, but not too sweet.
-The Vegan Kung Pao Beef has a delicious assortment of vegetables, and the crunchy peanuts make it so delicious!! I actually love to take this dish home and eat it with A1 sauce,. the beef is so beef-like that it goes wonderfully with steak sauce.
Together, the beef dish and the chicken dish are a perfect pairing.

I have since moved away from Los Angeles, but this is a definite stop anytime I am in town. Cannot say enough good things about this restaurant.

The only negatives are that they also serve meat and that the dishes are a bit too expensive. However, the portions are generous, so dishes can last for a few meals.

I would rate this restaurant 5 'cows' but I can't, because it serves meat. (According to happycow's rules.)

Pros: DELICIOUS food, High quality to-go containers (eco), DELICIOUS FOOD!
Cons: They also serve meat, A little expensive (but well worth it)

Dear Owner and Manager of Kung Pao Bistro: