Kuan-Yin Vegetarian Tea House

Assorted mockmeat dishes and vegetarian meals priced between 4.00-10.00 AUD. Also bubble tea with many flavours and a large variety of vegan dishes. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese
198 Wickham Street, Fortitude Valley (opposite China Town Mall entrance)
Brisbane, Queensland
07-32524557; 0433943355
Closed now

Mon 11:30am-5:00pm, Wed-Thu 11:30am-7:30pm, Fri 11:30am-8:00pm, Sat 11:30am-5:00pm, Sun 11:30am-3:00pm

• Cash only

First Review by ampallang
EmilyGuo
EmilyGuo

Awesome Foods!

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

My husband and I have always enjoyed coming here, nice yummy foods, comfortable place, friendly owners and staffs. Many of our non-vegetarian friends enjoyed the foods here too, they were very surprised that vegetarian foods can be that delicious and have lots of varieties! Come and try it out if you have never come here before, I guarantee you will not regret it and be prepared to become addicted to it!!

Pros: Delicious Foods, Friendly owners and staffs, Comfy dining place
Jph71
Jph71

what a great place

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2014

Every time we come here we are never disappointed. Great variety, excellent presentation and the meals are always fantastic. We'll priced and definitely a favourite....

pitty
pitty

Great food and good location

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2014

This is one of my favourite vegan places in Brisbane. The staff is always super friendly and I like their selection of pearl teas. They have a large variety on their menu ranging from mock-meat dishes to dumpling soup. It's a cosy atmosphere and you get a lot for your money.

Pros: Teas, Friendly Staff, Great Food

veganstoner
veganstoner

favourite veg place

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2014

great food, great service at affordable prices.
the decor isn't great but that's part of its charm.

phraser
phraser

Generally OK

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

I took a non-veg friend here and for some of the food, he thought he was eating meat.

It can be a little greasy.

Not open in the evening, unfortunately. Prices are reasonable.

Pros: Mostly vegan, Tastes quite good, not very expensive
Cons: a bit oily, not open for dinner
Soybean
Soybean

Probably my favourite veg restaraunt ever.

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

Every time I visit Brisbane I eat here once per day. The owner is friendly, the service is great, the food is cheap and the quality is the most consistent I've ever encountered.

The mock dishes are simple soy, gluten or seitan substitutes.

For entrees, the Taiwanese fried chicken is maybe the best fast-food style vegan snack I've ever had, the vege pepper and salt oyster is also great. For mains, I recommend the Three Combo, which comes in a bento box and allows you to sample the main mock dishes, the Zhi-Shu is also great. The best drink is the taro bubble tea (with pearl) on soy.

Say hi to the owner Tony. Top guy and very friendly.

Pros: Good., Cheap., Consistent.
VegoTraveller
VegoTraveller

Best Vegetarian in Brisbane

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2013

I love this place, its inexpensive and has a great variety of vegetarian food that has no onion or garlic. The staff are really friendly. The only downside is that it isnt open very late, no easy parking and that there is no A/C.

Pros: good value, excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: noisy, no ac, not open late
Peppermintpatty
Peppermintpatty

Delicious vegan food in the valley

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2013

I really love kuan yin. The owner Michael and all the staff are friendly, the atmosphere is homey and comfortable and the food is consistently yummy. I recommend the sweet and sour pork rice.

Pros: friendly staff, good value, tasty food
HippoCampers
HippoCampers

Amazing food & price!

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

We are newly vegan so were a little nervous about trying mock meats. We were extremely impressed with the chicken and beef, and the sweet potato wedges were absolutely delicious!! We ordered an entrée, 2 mains and 2 drinks (iced tea and frappé) which cost just over $30 total. Great value & great food!

Pros: affordable, tasty, friendly staff
VegTim
VegTim

My favourite - I love it!

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

Going there is like a little holiday trip for me, brining back memories from my trips to Asian countries. I love their food, especially the mock meats, the soothing decoration and friendly service.

Pros: Good food, Friendly service, Good location
Cons: Not fully vegan
vegan mikal
vegan mikal

Passable, but not exciting

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2012

Our first experience of Kuan Yin was a late lunch on a Wednesday. The place was full and we thought that to be a good sign. However, when we got down to business, we realised that this venue is not special at all.

Our waiter was friendly, but had very little English and seemed flustered by the numbers he had to deal with. Our two entrees - deep fried calamari and some other seaweed/fishy dish that we just couldn't get the waiter to explain properly to us - were tasty and reasonably priced, but the mains - two different lunch sets - were very basic and rather bland, as well as not filling enough.

Kuan Yin's interior looked tired, and the lino floor has seen better days. Perhaps this venue can impress people who are new to mock meat restaurants, but for those of us who are used to this sort of thing, there is certainly better food and service in Brisbane. After all, if you really do crave a vegan chicken drumstick, you can always just get your own, frozen from Inala!

This restaurant would benefit from more experienced wait staff, an interior overhaul, and a far more detailed menu. It's really not enough to get a picture of a meal if you still can't work out what the ingredients are!

Pros: Entrees, Medium Price, Friendly staff
Cons: Staff lacking English, Tired decor, Boring mains
sickel
sickel

omm may i come again ommmmm

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2012

Kuan Yins is still one of my favourites the world around. Very good prices and cool asian fusion meals. You can sample the world of imitation soy meats cooked and deployed in very cute modern, slightly chic, servings.

It's a peaceful little abode, hidden amongst some of the grimiest streets of brisbane. A great place to pick up a meal, cooked super quick, and enjoy some traditional chinese herbal tea (or bubble tea in the summer) while you wonder "what the hell is there to do in fortitude valley in the day time??". Good question, go to Kuan Yins!!

The staff are helpful, friendly and a little shy. But they have no hesitation in helping you pick your way through the menu.

What to try?? EVERYTHING!! The menu has shrunk a little over the years but there is still plenty of fun to be had. The sizzlers are great! the spicy soups are feisty! the goyza'a are wicked! the "pancake", which is basically a roti, is luscious! Ice Coffee bubble tea with pearl balls is a must for lunchness wakey wakeys.

It's not open late nor on Tuesdays. I have been soooo dissapointed soo many times by turning up, all excited, on a bloody tuesday. I now hold Tuesdays in contempt and wish for their urgent and sudden demise!! curse you tuesday!! i deem you unfit for the office of weekly segments!!

Pros: supper snackworthy meals of joy, quick, cheap
Cons: in the dirty ol vally
sbszine
sbszine

Not bad

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2012

A fun place with good service. When I sat down they immediately asked whether I was vegan and went through the specials accordingly. I've been here a few times and it's getting a bit decrepit and run down now -- could use a refurb. The food is a mix of Beijing type Chinese yum cha food, Japanese street food, and bubble tea.

The last time I ate here (May 2012) I had "phantom chips" (sweet potato chips encased in taro and deep fried for added hairiness), Peking duck pancake (a lot of iceberg lettuce, not a lot of fake duck), and a yuzu / kumquat tea (very nice, not overly sweet as you often get with bubble tea).

Pros: Vegan info clearly marked, Service
Cons: Decor
DanielBull
DanielBull

The Best in Australia

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2011

This is the best vegetarian restaurant in Australia. It is superior to any other place in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. The food is sooo good. I would suggest veggie chicken rice, veggie pork rice, veggie sweat and sour pork. Entree's - Taiwanese friend chicken, calamari, sweet potato wedges, thai-spicy chicken are all awesome. The best drink is a 'soy-coffee frappe'.

Opening Hours:
Monday 11:30 - 3
Tues Closed
Wed & Thurs 11:30 - 7:30
Friday 11:30 - 8:00
Sat 11:30 - 5
Sun 11:30 - 3

Do yourself a favor and eat hear :p

Danie
Danie

pleasant surprise!

Posted on 08 / 13 / 2011

i actually meant to buy my lunch from sanitarium kitchen and found out that they do not have much vegan choices on the menu, i ended up getting just a small beetroot salad for take-away and went on to china town 'cause my friend wanted to buy her lunch there. we then stumbled upon kuan-yin tea house and saw that its vegan friendly, which was a pleasant surprise!! the food taste great, price is reasonable, the staffs are very friendly and helpful in explaining whats vegan on the menu and whats not. will definitely go back the next time i visit Brisbane

Pros: vegan friendly, good food, friendly staff
Cons: none
dumpling
dumpling

really good

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2011

I really miss this place and considered moving back to Brisbane just so I could eat here all the time. Great lunch box type meals suitable for one person to eat by themselves. The bubble milk tea is good too even the peanut one. Good value and variety. Good people. Yum yum yum

Pros: good value, yummy, no onion or garlic, good location
Cons: too good, want more, and more
KingKong
KingKong

About the only good thing about Fortitude valley

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2009

I was quite disappointed with Chinatown till I found this place. Very good food and good price.
Does a good selection of teas (including bubble tea).
Nice and cosy and not at all threatening, so it's a good place for a first date.
Minor criticism: needs better signage.

Pros: Food, Price, Atmosphere
Cons: Location, Visibility
reneembm
reneembm

Fabulous!

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2009

The owner Michael is fantastic. They made a vegan pancake meal (okinomiyaki) due to requests. Always found them very vegan-friendly, most dishes are vegan. Excellent Taiwanese fried faux-chicken!

Pros: Great staff, Fun, Cheap
Cons: Crowded on weekend lunch, more tables!, Few healthy options
veganboy09
veganboy09

vegans be careful

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2009

I was most disappointed at the service. I ordered a banana smoothie with my meal and stipulated that I was vegan and didn't consume milk or any other animal products and the waiter said they can use soy milk instead. When I received my order I asked is the drink definitely made with soy and they said "oh sorry we used normal milk". The waiter apologised and said we will make a soy one for you. The waiter then brings back a replacement banana smoothie (supposedly made with soy). After I had taken a drink from the second replacement banana smoothie, the girl runs out saying, we have given you the wrong one (dairy again!) and was laughing as if it was funny. Too bad if I had an allergy to milk protein or lactose. I wouldn't eat at this place ever again. If you are strict about your veganism - be very careful!

Pros: cheap
Cons: Staff are careless in preparing food, Restaurant on main road (very noisy), Cash only
  • sickel sickel

It's a shame you were so disappointed. Im vegan and Ive been here a hundred times and I love it. The staff are casual, and I really appreciate it. They have always been super helpful. I wouldn't take a little laughter at a mistake too personally. Im sure it wouldn't be spiteful. It's kind of refreshing to not be so serious. Give it another go!

susanm
susanm

Highly recommended

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2009

I love this place and have been going there for a couple of years. The sweet and sour pork rice is my favourite. It's always pretty busy at lunchtime, so there is sometimes a bit of a wait, but well worth it.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Great value
camerongreen
camerongreen

One of the best in Brisbane

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2008

This is a restaurant you can keep going back to.

The decor is plain, even a little kitsch, but the staff are friendly and the food and teas are great.

My favourites are the Veggie Pork dish and the sticky rice. A dish such as veggie pork comes with rice and an interesting smatter of vegetables around it.

If you've never had a bubble tea you've missed out on an asian phenomenon. Ask for a soy bubble tea with taro in it, it's purple, unusual, and highly addictive.

Pros: Cheap, Nice people, Bubble Tea
Cons: Kitschy
VeganAmy
VeganAmy

Awesome food

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2008

Kuan Yin's food is consistently good. The bubble teas are great & the main dishes are very good.
My favourites: Taiwanese Fried Chicken, Wonton Noodle, Fried Dumplings.
Beware: The restaurant fills very quickly on weekends - I'd advise getting there before 12 if you want a table. Michael (the owner) is able to reserve for large groups.

mystikiel
mystikiel

A great little place

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2008

One of two (remaining) vegetarian places on Brunswick St alongside the Tea Master, which I narrowly prefer. Still, this is a wonderful place to have a meal. The combo hot pots are served in a metal bowl kept hot by these little flammable blue rocks underneath. Dont ask me how, but its cool. Prices are as cheap as you would find anywhere. Why eat prefabricated muffins and overpriced coffee in some sterile city cafe when you can walk ten minutes and get great food here?

Pros: Good value, good food
ampallang
ampallang

yummy

Posted on 03 / 22 / 2007

The food is great, many vegan options and great staff. Really nice cold tea. Food is reasonably priced. Though they close early around 8pm.

Pros: Vegan options, great tea, nice staff
Cons: no toilets

Dear Owner and Manager of Kuan-Yin Vegetarian Tea House: