Health food restaurant. Food is vegan except for some cakes. Jan 2014 owner reported not using egg any longer. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Bulgarian, Western, Fusion
ul Tsar Simeon 72
Sofia, Bulgaria
+359-029834333
Now Closed

Mon-Tue 11:00am-9:00pm, Wed 11:00am-5:00pm, Thu-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm

First Review by Wong Fei Hung
kaminoge
kaminoge

Love the Kring Salad

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2015

My vegan boyfriend and I (vegetarian) always enjoy a visit to Kring. We generally spend a long time looking at the menu and then choose the Kring salad because it's just so good. A few times we've tried other dishes and they've always been fine, just not as good as the Kring salad! Service is ok although as other reviewers have mentioned it could be better, you do usually need to hunt them down if you want an extra drink or something.

Pros: The Kring salad!, They sell products (eg Seitan) , Easy to be vegan here
Cons: Location is a bit out of the way., Service isn't fantastic
Fearlesscat
Fearlesscat

Was not overly impressed

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2015

I ordered a takeaway from Kring today and have to report that I was not impressed by the quality of the food. The food to price ratio was a bit off balance too.
I ordered a rice and sprouts dish,a mixed vegetable stew, and I as was trying to take care of lunch for the next day, I took a chance on the sprouted lentil burgers.To my huge surprise the rice arrived soaked full of extra salty soy sauce or something of that kind, which made the rice almost inedible.( The sauce was not mentioned in the menu)
The stewed vegetables were mostly potato, which at close to 8 levs was kind of insultin. Three small florets of broccoli and similar count of cauliflower in a very imaginative sauce were keeping company to the potato, amongst a few shy slices of mushroom.
The sprouted lentil burgers were delicious though.
My advice - If you are there, instead of ordering online, do ask the waiters for details.

Pros: Imaginative flavours, Convenient online ordering
Cons: discrepancy between picture and food, lacking ingredient description
treemarks
treemarks

A wonderful experience

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2014

Dining in Kring is a wonderful experience.
The menu is varied and very tasty, prices are quite moderate considering the quality of the food provided and overall service is very good, with English spoken by most waiters.
I have been to Kring many times, alone or with friends, for sure it's not everybody's favorite, but it has a unique style.
Sauces on main courses are exquisite (seitan and tempeh dishes), the salads fresh and tasty and the variety of dishes is enough to make you spent time on the menu.
Seitan is home made and you can buy ready-made for home.
The cakes and sweets are marvelous and fresh made juices are offered as well .
Overall is a restaurant that allows you to enjoy and savor the taste of food, prepared with lots of care and with respect to living things as well .
Kring has a unique experience to offer and if you are visiting Sofia, I would encourage you to try it for yourself.

Pros: excellent food, menu variety, a place to savor the taste
Cons: not everyone's favorite, closing time a bit early

Joanna Karatsaneva
Joanna Karatsaneva

Controversial feelings about this place

Posted on 03 / 02 / 2014

I've been there few times, years ago,when they opened the place. I did not like it. The whole feeling on the details was not good - interior,service and food.

Now,I decided to visit Kring again, as they made some changes and I wanted to check on it.

I invited few girlfriends with me.
The place was empty,only one couple were dining.

I noticed, they added more room to the restaurant and made some renovations but the feeling is kind of too "steril".

I really don't like the music there - too religious for my taste.

The menu is quite big,but the focus,as I see it,is on "meat like" dishes - tempeh and seitan. This, I find a little disturbing.
From the other side,the menu is different from the other restaurants,so it's ok to try it, for a change.

We tried 3 different dishes:
Tender soy tempeh grilled fillets - we were not very impressed
"Meatballs" made ​​from sprouted lentils - We really enjoyed this meal
Aromatic rice with 3 types of sprouts - It was only me, who liked it

It looks like, the prices are higher this year and it makes it not cheap. For the same money - you can eat in a better place.

The service was not good - we were only few people there,but we had to wait and ask for the staff to approach. Obviously, they wanted to close,as as soon as we stepped out from the saloon,they switched off the lights?!

Pros: Interesting menu
Cons: Location, Not cheap, Working time till 21h.
Marilynka
Marilynka

The best veg restaurant!

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2014

I have been to this restaurant many times and I have to admit I have never tried better tasting food anywhere. The place is really cozy and the staff is friendly.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, many vegan dishes
TheHolyV
TheHolyV

Hearty vegan food, quickly delivered

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

Kring is a religious-lead restaurant (nothing wrong with that, many vegan restaurants I have tried all over the world also were) and as such it presents the thoughts of a spiritual guide: beside for his books and philosophy, your plate will be void of eggs, onions and garlic and obviously meat and fish.

Most dishes (90%) are vegan with a selection of starters, soups, salads, mains and sandwiches. The menu relies a lot on seitan, tempeh and tofu (to a lesser degree).

I had the cold gator soup, made with sunflower seed milk, the Russian salad (very tasty) and a main of seitan steak with mushrooms covered in tahini. Everything tasted very nice and the service was super speedy.

If I had to be picky I would note that the environment is a bit "cold": the space is clean and tidy but with little personality (and also a bit cold in temperature...). Also, all mains are served with the same sides: boiled potatoes, fresh salad of letter, shaved carrots and beetroot. While this is nice, if you order two mains because you are in a group, I would prefer more variety on the plate.

These are minor issues, though: Kring is nice and would go back if in the area.

Pros: Very fast service , Lots of seitan and tempeh
Cons: Not much personality in the space, Same sides for all main dishes
veggieriga
veggieriga

Delicious, inexpensive food

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2013

I ate here on my last day in Sofia for lunch. I wish I had tried Kring earlier; if so I would have eaten here more times. I had a lentil soup and moussaka which came with a big salad and delicious carrot side dish. Both were delicious. I also appreciated the complimentary tap water. The main dish was 5 lev and the soup was 2.20, excellent value. I like the moussaka so much I asked the waitress what was in the moussaka and she didn't know the name in English but kindly looked at the menu to find the right ingredient that was in another dish.

Kring has a happy hour from 3PM-5PM when food is ten percent off, but I'm not sure whether it is the daily menu or the a la carte menu that is ten percent off.

They also sell tempeh, seitan, vegetable sausages. Items on the menu are clearly marked vegan or can be vegan. They also have inexpensive doner sandwiches for 3.50 lev which is an excellent value.

It seemed to be a very popular restaurant and I really appreciated that the food was both delicious and inexpensive. Kring is the perfect combination of delicious and affordable food.

Pros: excellent, tasty food, kind staff
macello
macello

Good Restaurant

Posted on 11 / 20 / 2013

You can eat here a lot of vegan dishes, mainly eastern cuisine. Service is very helpful and speaking English. Good desserts. Low prices.

Pros: Big range of vegan dishes , Desserts
Guest
Guest

Great food, great find

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

Excellent restaurant, went for lunch on a nice day. Lovely music, nice waitress. Food was great, juices were fresh and great. Only gripe is they are too 'traditional' european vegetarian where almost all mains have some kind of tofu, tempeh or seitan -- time to grow their menu past these as many vegetarians are not interested in eating that stuff anyway. Otherwise great choice go there and enjoy!

Pros: Good fresh food, Good juices, Great music
Cons: Too much tofu, tempeh and seitan
lenka spotrsmenka
lenka spotrsmenka

much protein

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2013

Very good restaurant for those, who are doing sports. Much protein in every dish: seitan and tempeh are very tasty!
Very convenient for vegans also, you don't have to ask which dish is vegan, everything is specified in menu.

pupa
pupa

BG VEGGIE!

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2011

Quite a nice touch for vegans in Bulgaria!
the place is small and cozy, unless one gets intimidated by the religious vibe, i believe the atmosphere is calm and peaceful, with clean and modern decor.
the service is slow, which is typical for Bulgaria, but very pleasant, which is not so typical:)
i believe the extensive menu can satisfy descent range of tastes and everything vegan is clearly marked.
i settled on a Bulgarian classic dish, which i haven't had in close to 20 years, because it's meat, and i have to tell you that i was in love with it, it brought fond memories or authentic flavors without the dead flesh.

RachelLouise
RachelLouise

My favorite restaurant in Sofia!

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2011

I went to Kring 4 times on my recent 6-day trip to Sofia. It was close to my hotel, but I probably would have gone there a lot even if it weren't.
I had the Hawaiian-style seitan, seitan in exotic sauce, and a vegetable pancake with tempeh. The seitan was possibly the best I've ever had. The Hawaiian-style seitan was really fabulous. The tempeh was also particularly good. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the "exotic sauce", because it contained seaweed and I don't like seaweed.

The service was very good. When I went in the evenings, the waiter spoke decent English and was very helpful. The food arrived quickly. When I went at lunch with a group of 6 people, the waitress didn't speak much English, but she did her best to understand us, and was very friendly. We were impressed that she had managed to get our order correct despite all the language confusion. All six of us were happy with the food, too. It did take a while for all the food to come out, because they have a small kitchen and can't cook it all at once.

It's located a bit out of the center of town, but it is really not that far, and definitely worth the extra few minutes.

I wish I could have tried more of the menu items. The pesto pasta looked really good, for instance. It will give me something to look forward to if I ever go back to Sofia!

Pros: seitan, tempeh, everything else
Cons: not entirely vegan
Lady Vegan
Lady Vegan

Best in Bulgaria

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

Great atmosphere, good food, nice, friendly people, good music, great artistic decor. Really nice people, and very accommodating for me as a vegan. Great fun to be with, just really relaxing and a good place to de-stress. A very serious and hurtful personal clash and possibly misunderstanding, but lovely people and good food in a good atmosphere. I liked it and really liked the people, in spite of my own problems there, which were slightly exacerbated by their insistence on their own spirituality and constant loud spiritual references, at least on one occasion, which felt as if they more than bordered on harassment. It actually reduced me to tears, I was very upset, because I was and am quite vulnerable as a victim of intense media and possibly other stalking. I went for the food, atmosphere and friendship, and it all became very confusing for me and everyone else. Some of them were great and I love them. Rating 5 because overall its a great place and its staff are very sweet (not in the yucky sense).

Pros: Nice people, Flexible and accommodating, Good, down to earth food, Nice decor and relaxing atmosphere
Cons: Spiritual harassment, hope unintentional, No coffee ;-(, Early close Wednesday and closed Sunday
annice
annice

Good place to eat

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2010

We and a couple of friends had two meals at Kring on our trip to Bulgaria this month. The food was tasty, if a bit on the bland side. Tofu, tempeh and seitan are prominent on the menu. The first time, the soup was lukewarm, but we specified the next day that it should be hot, and it was.

Menus are both in English and Bulgarian, and the two waiters we had spoke some English and tried to be helpful.

It is a small place, but not many people were there either visit. The constant background music was kind of weird, sounding sort of Far Eastern, but it could have been Bulgarian for all I know. In any case, it wasn't obtrusive.

Pros: many vegan choices, inexpensive, helpful staff
Cons: food not always hot
vegansoul
vegansoul

Followers of Sri Chimnoy

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2010

I ate here on a Sat night. I arrived at 21:00 and there was only one other table seated (3 ladies). The waiter was nice enough and could speak English (which is a blessing in a foreign country). There were many vegan salads to choose as well as main courses, but there were no main courses that were wheat-free and vegan. The staff was very nice and adjusted one of the meals for me to accomodate. I had Tempeh fillets with lettuce and potatoes. It was supposed to come with a ginger sauce (which contained dairy). They substituted delicious hummus in place of the ginger sauce. Very nice. Drink menu is only juice (some fresh squeezed), water, vegan milks (oat, almond and soy), non-alcoholic beer, tea and coffee. They have pictures of Sri Chimnoy all over their walls and play meditative music.

Pros: friendly, English, Hummus
Cons: no wheat-free vegan items, no alcohol, side street location
Wong Fei Hung
Wong Fei Hung

nice place to eat!

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2010

close to the center and easy to find. they produce their own seitan which is very tasty. has english menu and takeaway service. a nice place to eat.

Dear Owner and Manager of Kring: