Vegan restaurant offering a daily menu made using mostly seasonal ingredients. Opened Apr 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Hungarian, Western, Catering, Take-out
Hunyadi ter 11
Budapest, Hungary H1067
+36-205146663

Open Tue-Fri 11:30am-3pm, 6-10pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-10pm.

First Review by TheresaKuttner
littlepandi
littlepandi

Hearty Hungarian vegan food in Budapest

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2014

At Kozmosz we tried the following meals:
- fruit soup: nothing special just thickened fruit juice (cherry) with vegan whipped cream on the top. I was not bad but not as a big as it was written ön FB recommendations.
- goulash soup: this was great, full of veggies, seitan. I would personally recommend this to everyone!
- seitan stew with dumplings: very good! Try it with pickles, and you can completely enjoy the vegan version of a poplular Hungarian meal.
- pancake filled with nuts, poppy seeds and marmalade. Super dessert, very substantial!
- home made lemonde
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 20, 2014

Pros: Delicious meals, Huge portions, Friendly staff
Marina Czarna
Marina Czarna

A good surprise

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2014

Housed in a modest basement with dimly lit brick archways, the atmosphere at kosmos is tranquil and comfortable. This restaurant is brand new, and it shows a little, but Kosmos serves up better than average/expected vegan fare with some traditional Hungarian influences. Service is attentive and efficient, and the ladies at Kosmos will make sure you are comfortable and well fed. The dishes we tried were excellent and original, and although there is still some room for improvement, given some more time and experience, this place could be formidable (they have existed for about 4 weeks as of this writing). Credit cards are accepted, wi-fi is available, and the staff speak a functional level of "Euro-English". Do it.

Miss.Muesli
Miss.Muesli

UNPROFESSIONAL

2 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

This restaurant is down at the basement in a dark smelly place at a neighbourhood that you woudn't call the safest in Budapest. I had a look at the waiter and my first thought was "sure he must me vegan (or at least vegetarian) he just doesn't look like one". Then we clearified that there are no daily offers at this restaurant, but you can choose from the few simple dished on the menu. So my friend and I made an ordered of a gyros meal and a hawaiian burger. "What would you like to drink?" said the waiter. I ordered some water and my friend asked for a watermelon soup. He brought us the raw soup, which was ok, very easy to make at home if you have a blender, and the water. We were the only two customers in the restaurant then two people arrived after us and they got their food before us. Anyway, we were in a good mood and kept chatting along with each other. After 60 minutes of waiting for our main course we asked how our chances were on getting them soon. "What food?" demanded the waiter. "What food?? I didn't hear you order anything. Why didn't you remind me?". No, he wasn't joking. He simple forgot about our order and during those 60 minutes never approached us to ask if we wanted anything to eat. He didn't apologize either or offered a free lemonade or something, like they would at a professional place, instead we were made at fault for not having reminded him of our order. We quickly paid for what we had and left this unprofessional, dark, gloomy, smelly place.
If you are the owner of a vegan restaurant in Budapest that had been recently opened what's more at the same month as 2 other vegan resaurants, is struggling to get customers and your strenght is not your menu or location, at least why don't you employ a professional waiter or at least a smart guy who looks healthy and perhaps is polite?

Pros: none
Cons: unprofessional service, dark and smelly restaurant, easy to make at home dishes

minrathous
minrathous

Favorite in Budapest

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

This was probably my favorite place I ate at in Budapest. The vegan burger was very good, and the bite I tried of my friend's plate was also delicious. Will be coming back someday, for sure.

Pros: all vegan, excellent food
pizzadave
pizzadave

OK vegan food

3 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2014

The location is central the staff are friendly and speak good English. I ordered a pasta dish it was tasteless they used a lot of fake cheese really highly proccesed soy. The dish was well presented but really tasteless the use of fake cheese is not my style.it is a nice restaurant maybe some of the other dishes may be better.

Placek
Placek

Quality food and superb location

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

It is really nice to see that vegan lifestyle is expanding in Budapest. Around the financial crisis a lot of restaurants, shops disappeared, however new ones have been popping up recently.

The restaurant is like a 5-10 minutes walk from Oktogon - city centre -. It is located in a nicely decorated cellar. For some people it might be a bit dark, but I like such places. I arrived at around 18, but I was not the only guest. A group of foreigners entered right after me. English menu is available, and the staff speaks English as well.

There are a few permanent dishes, however there is always a daily offer focusing on seasonal ingredients. There are gluten and soy-free options too. I ordered vegan lasagne, apple-cinnamon muffin and a drink. Everything was very delicious, had to wait like 10-15 minutes to receive the food.

Considering the fact that the place is not a fast food place - snooty vegans welcome - the prices are really good value. I paid like ~6 Euros which is inexpensive compared to European standards.

At the moment there isn't a wide selection of dishes, however please keep in mind that the place just opened. Allow them some time to survive and make the restaurant familiar within the community.

Pros: excellent location, value price, friendly staff
Cons: limited selection of dishes
michellen990
michellen990

Good food

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

Ate here for dinner recently with family. We had lasagna, spinach pasta, and a gyros plate. The lasagna was alright, the pasta was great, and the gyros was just okay. We shared a layered pancake for dessert, which was amazing. We were here on a saturday night and we were the only customers, which I thought was a bit odd.

It seems they change the menu often, though they probably usually have soups, pastas and other main dishes. Didn't have any salads when I went. A good place if you want inexpensive vegan comfort food.

travelswithveg
travelswithveg

Best vegan meal ever? Fabulous food!

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

We popped in here for lunch as we were nearby. My partner usually prefers vegetarian rather than vegan places but not in this case. We had a starter of borscht with fresh Hungarian chilli on the side to add as much as we liked. Really lovely warm soup with beans and tofu. For mains I had the seitan stew with noodles (homemade, like German spatzle). Lovely tomato flavoured stew, we'll spiced. My partner had the seitan gyro which came with pita, couscous and homemade tzatziki. Best seitan I have had anywhere. Both dishes were so flavourful. Service was very good as we'll. All in all a fabulous meal that I can't fault in any way. Really can't recommend this place enough.

Pros: Fabulous food, Good seitan, Reasonable prices
Cons: Nothing!
TheresaKuttner
TheresaKuttner

Review by WeLoveBudapest

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2014

I haven't been there myself yet, but "WeLoveBudapest" just posted this review (sorry, in Hungarian only), so I thought I share this here: http://welovebudapest.com/kavezok.ettermek/vegan.sajtburger.es.vegan.lasagne.a.hunyadi.teren.kozmosz.etterem

The reviewers really liked it - they say, they had the best vegan cheeseburger there, and the lasagne they tasted was also great. Plus, they've posted a couple of fotos of the place and the food. It seems, you can also get traditional dishes there - like beangulyas, seitan-pörkölt and palacsinta (pancakes that are thinner than American ones, but thicker than french crepes) - all vegan.
I'll definitely check it out next time I'm in Budapest and will write my own review then. As I have to rate in order to post this "review", I'll give 5 cows based on the overall positive article.

Dear Owner and Manager of Kozmosz Vegan Etterem: