Vegan restaurant offering a daily menu made using mostly seasonal ingredients. Opened Apr 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Western, Take-out, Catering, Hungarian

AnneBam
AnneBam

Delicious! Omni loved it too

Posted on 08 / 30 / 2015

Great wide selection of delicious food including veganised Hungarian classics. Went to Budapest with my omni mum and she loved this restaurant too. Good wine and dessert too!

Pros: vegan wine , dessert selection , veganised Hungarian dishes
Cons: very small restaurant so might get busy but was qu
tauberl
tauberl

Welcoming and delicious!

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2015

I was so excited to try this place for some veganized traditional Hungarian food, and it didn't disappoint! I had the goulash soup and main dish with seitan and spaetzel - I can't remember what it was called! - and it was great. Other family members had the various burgers, which were also great. Definitely visit this place if you're in the area!

Pros: Great menu, Friendly staff
Cons: Can get really warm down there!
thisistyna
thisistyna

Delicious and cozy!

Posted on 08 / 24 / 2015

The place itself is really nice and relaxed and the staff is very friendly!
However, the food is even better :) We really loved it there, so we had to go two times in a row :D

Pros: delicious, friendly, inexpensive

s.degresti
s.degresti

Nice and good

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2015

Good food, nice location, reasonable prices. To be suggested!

Alyannkar
Alyannkar

Quick and yummy midday stop.

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2015

This restaurant was conveniently located close to a museum I was visiting. It was a tad difficult to find, but worth the search. The restaurant has a stylish feel, located in the basement of a building with a cave-like appearance.

I had a veggie burger that was slathered with peanutbutter. It was incredible. I will say that the drinks were a tad pricey, especially for Budapest.

MikaChristina
MikaChristina

Studytrip and impressed non-vegans

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2015

The first evening my friend and I went to try and find it, we were a bit scared because of the location in the city and the basement. But as soon as we entered we felt comfortable. We loved it so much that we ended up eating our dinners there half of our trip! Delicious foods, with a good variety and a small amount of desserts, though delicious. I have brought four non-vegans with me to the restaurant and the all loved it and said that it was the best food they had gotten on the trip. One of my friends also complimented the wine.
The only thing to be critized is that it takes a bit long for the food to be prepared and served, and some of the waiters had a hard time explaining the menu to tourists speaking english.

Pros: All vegan, Delicious food
Cons: Time
Parisa_gabrielle
Parisa_gabrielle

Great food, poor service

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2015

Slippy burger and terrifying waitress. She was creepy and didn't smile once.

Although, great food and range

TheEverydayVegan
TheEverydayVegan

so soooooo good

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2015

fantastic little place. great decor. service was fast, discreet and friendly. dishes are well priced for portion sizes. the food was out of this world - everybody we sat near said so. we had the burger, gyros and goulash - all far too big for us and so, so YUMMIE. Please go and support these guys.

Pros: food quality and variety, friendly, efficient service, atmosphere
Cons: a little hidden - use the app to find it
GypsyGreenstone
GypsyGreenstone

Awesome place !

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2015

last minute we found this restaurant through the amazing happy cow app, it really saved the night. after walking for hours trying to find some vegetarian or vegan food, with no luck, this place saved our night!

the atmosphere is really cute, the staff is super friendly and helpful.

so much to choose from on the menu, really amazed me! wanted to order it all! got a super good bolognese half size, but was good size anyway!

over all a super good experience and got a lot for such a cheap prize :)

Pros: good location, amazing food, very friendly staff
Sassburger
Sassburger

Cheap as Chips

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2015

The prices were really cheap and there was a lot to choose from on the menu but both me and partner were disappointed with our meals. I felt like my burger was more of a fast food burger than a nice healthy one and my partner said his was tasteless. There was no atmosphere and we had to whisper as it was so quiet. The staff were lovely though and I think the location has great potential.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Vegan Wine , Cheap
Cons: No Atmosphere, Average Meal
LotusVFlower
LotusVFlower

Best vegan restaurant in Budapest

Posted on 05 / 29 / 2015

I have been in Budapest for a week.
I did a HappyCow-search before traveling there, so I already knew the vegan restaurants before going there.

The Kozmosz Vegan Etterem was the first Restaurant I tried and it was also better than the Napfenyes-Restaurant.

The portion sizes are great enough to get fully rich.
Realting to that, the prices are also very fair.

The people working there were very kind to me and also made great effort to understand me and fulfill my wishes the right way as I needed glutenfree meals for example.
They also made Take-away-Lunches for me, so I could do all the sightseeing I wanted with my vegan food already prepared by them in my backpack. :) Especially thanks for that! :)

The atmosphere is calm and inviting as I like it.

The restaurant is also very clean and well-kept.

I am very thankful having found this restaurant.

The Restaurant is also easy to find, next to Oktogon Place.

I would recommend visitin this restaurant to everyone!

Thanks for all! :)

Love, Stefanie

Pros: Portion sizes big enough to get full, Fair Prices, Very inviting atmosphere & kind staff
elbobro
elbobro

Great!

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2015

We ate there two times during our visit of Budapest and food was really great. We got goulash, burgers and pancake cake, all very good and tasty (and with beer and water we paid +-16 Euros). Yes, restaurant is in the basement, but clean and nice. English speaking staff, so all good. Location is great, just few meters from Vorosmarty utca metro station.

Pros: Great food, English speaking, Fair prices
Cons: Doesn't have outdoor seating
TrevorKramer
TrevorKramer

Great place!

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2015

My partner and I ate her twice in two days!

Great food, very reasonable prices, and large portions. The restaurant has a nice, relaxed atmosphere, and the staff is pretty friendly. The Goulash was my favorite dish. Their burgers were also quite nice.

If i'm ever back in Budapest I will definitely come back here!

Pros: Great food, Reasonable prices, Large portions
itzjac
itzjac

Lovely staff, yummy goulash!

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2015

My partner and I went here for dinner recently on a trip to Budapest.

We arrived for an early dinner and were greeted by a lovely young gentleman.

We ordered an entree of goulash soup - which was really yummy! We then ordered a main of hungarian stew and mexican tortilla. Unfortunately the mains were not as tasty as the goulash - the hungarian stew had some flavour but not really enough for our taste - but then we were not sure what the traditional taste of this dish should be? We also weren't fans of the seitan it was kind of chewy and not the best I've tried.. I think the dish would have been better with tofu, tempeh or beans instead. The mexican tortilla's weren't bad, however the flavour was a little off - it had oregano and italian herb seasoning which made it confusing as it was a mexican dish but didn't have any mexican flavours to it. It also could have been improved by added some beans as well as mexican spices and maybe coriander and a vegan sour cream or vegan cheese sauce.

For dessert we ordered the chocolate-pancake cake - I really enjoyed it - I especially love the chocolate sauce and wished there was more of it! My boyfriend liked it, but didn't love it - which was fine with me as I got to eat most of it!

The restaurant itself had a nice feel to it, kind of reminded me of being in a cool little cave and the service was great.

Overall not a bad meal, however definitely could be some improvement. I would go back if I was in the area to try some of the other dishes and definitely the goulash again :)

Pros: Staff, Goulash, Pancake Dessert, Location
Cons: Mains - A bit bland/lacking flavour
Noe
Noe

very nice!!!

Posted on 04 / 10 / 2015

We had a very nice lunch at this super comfy place, and we're planing to come back!
Goulash is delicious and there's quiet a few options on their menu.

Pros: very friendly staff, pet friendly, good prices
Cons: hard to find! located on a basement and the entran, pasta was a bit lame
stardustie
stardustie

friendly staff & nice simple dishes

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2015

Staff is very helpful and detailed with introducing the weekly dishes special that are not on the menu. I had "Austrian week" as they have adopted the dish from their Austrian neighbor.

The potion is very generous and taste of food is not flamboyant but simple and heart warming.

anazuz
anazuz

Excellent, all vegan :)

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2015

I recommended, we were very satisfied. Excellent bean goulash, seitan with dumplings, but you can choose of various dishes. Service is nice and agreeable, interior is cozy (without lights).

Pros: all vegan, delicious food, nice service
VeggiTiny
VeggiTiny

Yummy, excellent!! :)

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2015

Yummy food, nice ambiance, great and friendly service. :)
We had the Gyros which was delicious, bean goulash, salad was great, spaghetti Bolognese very good and the pancake layered cake was excellent!!
Definitely recommend it!

zsanett0820
zsanett0820
  • fruitarian

Excellent! :)

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2014

I usually eat fruits, but sometimes I need something else, and I always find it in this restaurant. :)

aleal
aleal

Great little spot with a variety of options

Posted on 12 / 06 / 2014

We really liked this spot, located right of the main Andrassy Ave. The zucchini soup and goulash were great. I was happy to be able to have a vegan goulash! Their seitan gyro was also yum!!

Kittybiscuit
Kittybiscuit

tasty burgers and friendly service

Posted on 11 / 01 / 2014

I came here for dinner one night. I liked the setup and style of the restaurant, and contrary to another review, I didn't feel I was in an unsafe area. The waitress was lovely and gave us an English menu. We both chose burgers which came with chips and salad. I thought it was really tasty and I was only disappointed that they'd run out of the chocolate and banana cake! I wished I was staying longer so I could return

Pros: decor, options
londt
londt

Great Lunch

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2014

Nice and cozy underground place with nice staff and great selection of meals. I tryed here creamy garlic soup, gyros plate and home made apple juice. Everything was just delicious!

Pros: Nice Stuff, Great Selection Of Foods, Nice Interior
LiviaMvanHeerde
LiviaMvanHeerde

affordable, good food in a not so chic place

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2014

It is located downstairs in a cellar which is quite dark and rustic. The waitress was really nice and spoke good English. We ordered the pear juice and apple juice, goulash soup, the spinach pasta, the chocolate and banana cake, the layered pancakes and the vegetable tortilla. Everything was really good and made with love. We consumed all that for 18€! That's 6€ per person and we were completely full afterwards cause the portions weren't small at all! Don't expect a fancy romantic place where you can have your 3 year anniversary with your loved one. However it is a good vegan restaurant compared to the others in Budapest. Budapest seems just not to be ideal for vegans...

Pros: good food, friendly waitress, really affordable!
Cons: interior is not so nice, not that fancy, small menu
claireh12
claireh12

Amazing Vegan food

Posted on 10 / 11 / 2014

I visited Budapest with my partner and friend who are both meat eaters. We chanced upon Kazmosz and decided to go in for food. The food was delicious - we all had soups, bean goulash and a creamy garlic soup. I had the Cheeseburger; my partner had the weekly special, Burritos with rice, salad and guacamole; our friend had the seitan stew with dumplings. We all really enjoyed our meals - costing about £6.50 each including a beer. It was actually the two non-vegans who were very keen to return the next day. The following evening we decided to skip the soups in order to leave space for deserts, two of us had the Burritos and my partner had the Gyros plate - all very good again. We then had a dessert each - carrot cake, cheesecake and the layered pancake - all delicious! We would all head straight to Kozmosz if visiting Budapest again - Lovely friendly restaurant, attentive staff and very reasonably priced delicious food!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly, attentive staff, Fantastic value
Pitanguinha
Pitanguinha

best burger!

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2014

I went there to have lunch after having run a half marathon in Budapest and it was the perfect treat meal for me! The restaurant is in the cellar and the rooms are a bit dark. I like clear places, but it wasn't a problem at all. They have a small menu with options of Hungarian dishes and burgers. I had the Hawaiian curry burger and it was heavenly delicious! In a homemade bread, with vegan mayonnaise and Accompanied by salad and potatoes. My friend had a seitan pörkölt (Hungarian speciality in vegan version) with Hungarian pasta and it was also very tasty! It's very well located near the heroes square and Andrassy ut. The staff was really friendly. I will visit this restaurant again for sure when I'm in Budapest.

littlepandi
littlepandi

Hearty Hungarian vegan food in Budapest

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2014

At Kozmosz we tried the following meals:
- fruit soup: nothing special just thickened fruit juice (cherry) with vegan whipped cream on the top. I was not bad but not as a big as it was written ön FB recommendations.
- goulash soup: this was great, full of veggies, seitan. I would personally recommend this to everyone!
- seitan stew with dumplings: very good! Try it with pickles, and you can completely enjoy the vegan version of a poplular Hungarian meal.
- pancake filled with nuts, poppy seeds and marmalade. Super dessert, very substantial!
- home made lemonde
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 20, 2014

Pros: Delicious meals, Huge portions, Friendly staff
Guest
Guest

A good surprise

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2014

Housed in a modest basement with dimly lit brick archways, the atmosphere at kosmos is tranquil and comfortable. This restaurant is brand new, and it shows a little, but Kosmos serves up better than average/expected vegan fare with some traditional Hungarian influences. Service is attentive and efficient, and the ladies at Kosmos will make sure you are comfortable and well fed. The dishes we tried were excellent and original, and although there is still some room for improvement, given some more time and experience, this place could be formidable (they have existed for about 4 weeks as of this writing). Credit cards are accepted, wi-fi is available, and the staff speak a functional level of "Euro-English". Do it.

Miss.Muesli
Miss.Muesli

UNPROFESSIONAL

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

This restaurant is down at the basement in a dark smelly place at a neighbourhood that you woudn't call the safest in Budapest. I had a look at the waiter and my first thought was "sure he must me vegan (or at least vegetarian) he just doesn't look like one". Then we clearified that there are no daily offers at this restaurant, but you can choose from the few simple dished on the menu. So my friend and I made an ordered of a gyros meal and a hawaiian burger. "What would you like to drink?" said the waiter. I ordered some water and my friend asked for a watermelon soup. He brought us the raw soup, which was ok, very easy to make at home if you have a blender, and the water. We were the only two customers in the restaurant then two people arrived after us and they got their food before us. Anyway, we were in a good mood and kept chatting along with each other. After 60 minutes of waiting for our main course we asked how our chances were on getting them soon. "What food?" demanded the waiter. "What food?? I didn't hear you order anything. Why didn't you remind me?". No, he wasn't joking. He simple forgot about our order and during those 60 minutes never approached us to ask if we wanted anything to eat. He didn't apologize either or offered a free lemonade or something, like they would at a professional place, instead we were made at fault for not having reminded him of our order. We quickly paid for what we had and left this unprofessional, dark, gloomy, smelly place.
If you are the owner of a vegan restaurant in Budapest that had been recently opened what's more at the same month as 2 other vegan resaurants, is struggling to get customers and your strenght is not your menu or location, at least why don't you employ a professional waiter or at least a smart guy who looks healthy and perhaps is polite?

Pros: none
Cons: unprofessional service, dark and smelly restaurant, easy to make at home dishes
minrathous
minrathous

Favorite in Budapest

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

This was probably my favorite place I ate at in Budapest. The vegan burger was very good, and the bite I tried of my friend's plate was also delicious. Will be coming back someday, for sure.

Pros: all vegan, excellent food
pizzadave
pizzadave

OK vegan food

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2014

The location is central the staff are friendly and speak good English. I ordered a pasta dish it was tasteless they used a lot of fake cheese really highly proccesed soy. The dish was well presented but really tasteless the use of fake cheese is not my style.it is a nice restaurant maybe some of the other dishes may be better.

Placek
Placek

Quality food and superb location

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

It is really nice to see that vegan lifestyle is expanding in Budapest. Around the financial crisis a lot of restaurants, shops disappeared, however new ones have been popping up recently.

The restaurant is like a 5-10 minutes walk from Oktogon - city centre -. It is located in a nicely decorated cellar. For some people it might be a bit dark, but I like such places. I arrived at around 18, but I was not the only guest. A group of foreigners entered right after me. English menu is available, and the staff speaks English as well.

There are a few permanent dishes, however there is always a daily offer focusing on seasonal ingredients. There are gluten and soy-free options too. I ordered vegan lasagne, apple-cinnamon muffin and a drink. Everything was very delicious, had to wait like 10-15 minutes to receive the food.

Considering the fact that the place is not a fast food place - snooty vegans welcome - the prices are really good value. I paid like ~6 Euros which is inexpensive compared to European standards.

At the moment there isn't a wide selection of dishes, however please keep in mind that the place just opened. Allow them some time to survive and make the restaurant familiar within the community.

Pros: excellent location, value price, friendly staff
Cons: limited selection of dishes
michellen990
michellen990

Good food

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

Ate here for dinner recently with family. We had lasagna, spinach pasta, and a gyros plate. The lasagna was alright, the pasta was great, and the gyros was just okay. We shared a layered pancake for dessert, which was amazing. We were here on a saturday night and we were the only customers, which I thought was a bit odd.

It seems they change the menu often, though they probably usually have soups, pastas and other main dishes. Didn't have any salads when I went. A good place if you want inexpensive vegan comfort food.

travelswithveg
travelswithveg

Best vegan meal ever? Fabulous food!

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

We popped in here for lunch as we were nearby. My partner usually prefers vegetarian rather than vegan places but not in this case. We had a starter of borscht with fresh Hungarian chilli on the side to add as much as we liked. Really lovely warm soup with beans and tofu. For mains I had the seitan stew with noodles (homemade, like German spatzle). Lovely tomato flavoured stew, we'll spiced. My partner had the seitan gyro which came with pita, couscous and homemade tzatziki. Best seitan I have had anywhere. Both dishes were so flavourful. Service was very good as we'll. All in all a fabulous meal that I can't fault in any way. Really can't recommend this place enough.

Pros: Fabulous food, Good seitan, Reasonable prices
Cons: Nothing!
TheresaKuttner
TheresaKuttner

Review by WeLoveBudapest

Posted on 05 / 22 / 2014

I haven't been there myself yet, but "WeLoveBudapest" just posted this review (sorry, in Hungarian only), so I thought I share this here: http://welovebudapest.com/kavezok.ettermek/vegan.sajtburger.es.vegan.lasagne.a.hunyadi.teren.kozmosz.etterem

The reviewers really liked it - they say, they had the best vegan cheeseburger there, and the lasagne they tasted was also great. Plus, they've posted a couple of fotos of the place and the food. It seems, you can also get traditional dishes there - like beangulyas, seitan-pörkölt and palacsinta (pancakes that are thinner than American ones, but thicker than french crepes) - all vegan.
I'll definitely check it out next time I'm in Budapest and will write my own review then. As I have to rate in order to post this "review", I'll give 5 cows based on the overall positive article.

Dear Owner and Manager of Kozmosz Vegan Etterem: