Serves meat, veg options available. Has veggieham, veggiechicken, vegan sushi, salads and appetizers. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Non-veg
721 W 21st St
Norfolk, Virginia 23517
757-628-1025

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by burbank_spiffers
Plant Powered Eater
Plant Powered Eater

favorite

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

This has been a favorite for years. Quiet, relaxing atmosphere, great food, lots of vegan options, although mostly built from fake meat.

LmtWetmoney
LmtWetmoney

Love It

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

Eye been ploting on this place for a couple weeks now and finally got to go and it was definately worth the wait! I had the vegan seaseme chicken and it came with brown rice a soup and salad with an amazing japanese sauce. They have a full page of veggie and vegan options including salmon shrimp and lobster. Definately will recommend to a friend

Pros: Good Food, Full Page Vegan Menu, Nice And Quiet Atmosphere
Cons: Closed On Sunday
KaylaNichols
KaylaNichols

perfect little japanese place i have been to yet!

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2011

I just ate here for the first time last night and imediately fell in love. My husband isn't vegan however he often eats like one because of the places I can eat at. So its perfect when we can find a place that offers an extensive menu in both vegan and non-vegan items. I had the vegetarian seseame chicken, which i was informed is not made with any dairy products, and i really enjoyed it! for 13.95 you get a bowl of miso soup, a house salad with a delicious peanut dressing, your choice of brown or white rice, and your main dish which includes fried potato cakes and a spring roll. Needless to say, i was stuffed! I didn't get a chance to take a look at their vegan options for dessert, but the next time i go there for their vegan sushi rolls i wont be missing out on that! Because they have such a yummy vegan menu, fresh jasmine tea, great customer service, and moderate pricing, this is easily my new favorite japanese place to eat. I can't speak for my husband, but he left pretty full and happy too! - this place deserves 5 cows, hands down.

Pros: healthy options, excellent food, super friendly staff
Cons: none

Guest
Guest

Ichiban!

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2010

Best sushi in town and great vegetarian options. The vegetable tempura is highly recommended (the faux-shrimp that come in it taste like everything you have ever dreamed shrimp to be, but better because they're not actually shrimp!)

Pros: top-notch food, great service, inexpensive
jnorris
jnorris

Amazing

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2010

While I was there I ordered the vegan teriyaki chicken. I'm not a huge fake meat eater and hardly ever eat fake meat, but I am so glad I ordered this. It was amazing and came in huge portions with soup and salad as well.

Pros: Excellent Food, Huge Portions, Good Value
jmwatts
jmwatts

Delicious Japanese Food

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2009

We have been to Kotobuki several times. They are not a vegan restaurant but they do have an awesome and extensive vegetarian and vegan menu. My favorite is the "Beef" Teriyaki. You get a very good miso soup followed by a nice salad with a fantastic dressing. Then the beef teriyaki which is served with a potato cake and a crispy, non-greasy spring roll. The beef has an authentic taste/texture and you get two large pieces. This is a very filling meal.

I also really enjoy the sweet potato sushi and the asparagus sushi. I believe that there are 8 or 9 more types of sushi on the vegan menu but I have not tried them yet.

My partner is NOT a vegetarian. She recently had the vegan "shrimp" tempura and could not believe that it was not really shrimp. She was amazed at the flavor and texture.

They also have a good vegan cheesecake which you can have "regular" or dipped in batter and then fried.

This place is considered pricey by some. We generally spend about $50-55. The fountain sodas ARE ridiculously overpriced! Aside from the price of the sodas, I do not find that they are overpriced considering the amount and quality of the food. That being said, the service is impeccable. The staff know the menu, are courteous and the service is prompt!

Well worth the trip!

It deserves 5 cows!!!

Also, if there is no street parking, they have a free parking lot in the back of the store, just zip around the block.

Pros: Huge Portions, Extensive Vegan/Vegetarian Menu, Great Service
Cons: Overpriced Sodas
burbank_spiffers
burbank_spiffers

Good place

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2009

Agree w/ the above review in that the portions are big - was enough to quell a huge appetite like mine, bringing the other half away for the next day's meal. Very friendly staff.

Dear Owner and Manager of Kotobuki: