CLOSED: Korma Sutra

Serves meat, veg options available. A fine dining Indian restaurant with a vegetarian menu section which includes vegan entrees, appetizers and bread options. Located in downtown within walking distance of downtown hotels. MAR 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN, PHONE NOT WORKING - REMOVED. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
706 Main St
Houston, Texas 77002
713-229-8200

Open Mon-Fri11am-2pm and 6-10pm, Sat 6-10pm, closed Sun.

First Review by Yahcna
Yahcna
Yahcna

BRILLIANT, YET HIGHLY PRICED FOR SMALL PORTIONS

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2011

If you are ever in the Downtown Houston area and you:

a.) Want to impress a romantic interest
b.) Want to entertain potential business partners and clients by showing off

Then Korma Sutra just might be the place for you.

Honestly speaking, the pricing for Indian spiced lentils (Dal), chickpeas (chana), veggies (korma), and breads (Naan and Puri), is a bit far-fetched for the meager portions they give for lunch. (This is actually coming from someone that believes in portion control.)

In my Vegetarian days, (now Vegan)I was a regular there that would pay an average of $55.00 USD for their a la carte lunch items but the issue is THE PORTIONS THAT I WAS PAYING ALL THIS MONEY FOR WOULDN'T FILL UP A CHILD! With Downtown Houston having meager Veg-friendly options, I would bite the bullet and pay the price because it was located close enough to where I was working.

For example, my business partner and I would order 1 Dal Mahkni ($12) 1 Veggie Korma ($17) 2 Onion Bhajis ($8 each) and 2 Iced teas totaling up to about ($55.00) not including the tip for lunch. Paying the $55.00 would have been fine if our food wasn't the portion of a kids meal, and I'm not exaggerating! By the way, don't forget to factor in that you pay $12 for parking downtown even if it's just for ten minutes, so add that in too!

I would order about thirty minutes prior and would still have to wait at least 15 minutes after I got there even though they weren't that busy sometimes.

The prices for meat eaters is fair because they do sell quality meats for omnivores,but maybe they should rethink the pricing or portions on their veggie items.

Don't get me wrong, the owners are nice and put a lot of thought into their menu and have a wonderful ambience going on, hence, this place is ideal for marriage proposals, Valentine's Day dinner, Wedding anniversaries, and entertaining business affiliates. It's the kind of place you go when you want to go all out.

I hear that they now serve a lunch buffet, maybe the pricing for this is better.

In summary, give them a try, but make sure it's payday! ;)
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 18, 2011
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 18, 2011

Pros: BEAUTIFUL, ROMANTIC
Cons: OVERPRICED FOR THE PORTIONS THEY GIVE, PAY FOR PARKING DOWTOWN

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Korma Sutra: