Tokyo Taiwanese restaurant. Food is all vegetarian. Address in Japanese: 東京都中野区中野5-52-15. Price: Moderate more-less
Taiwanese
Nakano 5-52-15, Nakano Broadway 2F
Tokyo, Japan

Open until 8pm, closed Sunday.

First Review by clark
Jishinseiren
Jishinseiren

Too oily, not accomodating

2 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

I used to live very close by- I loved how there was a vegan restaurant in Nakano Broadway, but I am a health-focused vegan, and I avoid added oils, especially vegetable oil.When I asked if she (the owner/cook) could make the dish with little to no oil, she glared at me, made her "least oily dish", which was still too greasy to eat. I ended up just paying and not eating, so she asked me not to come back.(I didn't even complain to her!! Or at all. I just didn't eat it.)

Pros: Location
Cons: greasy, bad service, tiny/no space
clark
clark

good taiwanese-style home cooking

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

Korinbo is the place to go to if you're in the mood for some homestyle cooking. The owner is a friendly Taiwanese lady (incidentally her brother is world-renowned artist TF Chen) and coming to eat here is like being served a meal at her home. The menu is fairly limited consisting of maybe 5-6 items but it is all very good and all vegetarian. I'm not sure if the owner speaks English but the menu items are all accompanied with pictures. I recommend trying their teishoku or higaeri set meals. Adding to the homely feel is the space, which is tiny. It seats maybe 6 at most, seated around a counter, so it's not a place to go to if you're in a large group. I've been coming to Korinbo for over five years and it's always on my list of places to go whenever I'm in Tokyo. It's located in Nakano Broadway mall which is a mecca for anime/tokusatsu geeks if you're into that sort of thing.

It's a little hard to find, but here are rough directions: Get off at Nakano station and take the north exit. Follow the path 50m to the brightly lit walkway of covered shops and continue walking for another 200-300m. Eventually you'll see a sign overhead for Nakano Broadway and an escalator. Don't take the escalator as it goes to the 3rd floor. Instead veer right and take the stairs to the 2nd floor. Head to the NW corner of the mall. If you have trouble finding it, look for 香林坊 on the mall map.

Pros: friendly staff, good value
Cons: tiny
  • Paulineteo Paulineteo

Many thanks Clark. Your directions makes the place very easy to find and Nakano station is less complicated than many stations. Nakano station is only few stops away from Shinjuku station where I stayed nearby. The Taiwanese lady opened the shop 28 years ago and the shop is still standing. Totally happy with the set meal, and amazed at the quality of the homemade vegetarian cutlet the Taiwanese lady made. This restaurant is also suitable for vegetarians who do not eat onions and garlic.

Dear Owner and Manager of Korinbo: