Serves meat, veg options available. Japanese restaurant in Stockholm. Has a separate vegan menu. Makes their own tofu. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by tjobb
Ekosmurf
Ekosmurf

Awesome Japanese vegan food

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2014

The food at this place is really amazing. A big variety of vegan asiatic food. I really love their dumplings!

Pros: Good variety, cozy atmosphere, So tasty!
Cons: a little bit expensive
sigurdas
sigurdas

Nice tofu place

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2013

All their vegetarian options are vegan. Many dishes are with their own tofu. The food tastes good, but after one has been to places like Lao Wai in Stockholm, Kokyo does not impress.

Pros: great choice of tofu dishes
Cons: more flavours needed
JonnaElofssonBjesse
JonnaElofssonBjesse

Yummy vegan goodness

4 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2012

I was here for dinner with my family, and my first impression of this cozy little hidden away restaurant was that it was a bit bland. That changed drastically when the food came! The BEST tofu I have ever tasted, I highly recommend their "Tofu platter" with their different homemade tofu's.

I can imagine this is a good lunch place as well, very good prices and a good amount of food for each serving, we left feeling full and satisfied, but not too full.

I highly recommend their "Kokyo stew (gryta)". It was amazing!
Very good assortment of vegetarian meal options, and the best part is they are all vegan as well!

If your party includes someone who absolutely won't eat vegetarian, they have non-veggie options as well, which makes it very diverse. My whole omnivorous family had no problem with not straying from the vegan menu, though, everything sounded deliscious!!

Last but not least, one of the best Misu soups I have ever tasted, definitely worth a try!

This restaurant is absolutely worth a visit, I was there a week ago I constantly want to go back.

Pros: Good value, Family friendly, Excellent food
Cons: not-too friendly staff

DontPanic
DontPanic

Great dumplings!

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

Their dumplings are delicious and all the vegetarian dishes are vegan! I even got my grandparents to like vegan food and not order any meat dishes. There are a lot of choises on the vegetarian menu. I really liked the food and the staff was really friendly.

Pros: extensive vegan menu , great staff, awesom dumplings
Cons: serves non-vegetarin meals aswell
ntj2
ntj2

Excellent vegan meals

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2012

We dropped into this quaint little restaurant and really enjoyed their menu. All of their extensive vegetarian menu is vegan. Their dumplings were among the best we'd had. The house-made tofu in the other dishes was fresh and tasty.

Pros: many vegan options, tasty food, friendly staff
Cons: not entirely vegetarian
sglcklch
sglcklch

Chinese-fake-Japanese

1 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2011

First off, this is NOT a Japanese restaurant, but an essentially Chinese one that gives itself a Japanese name, puts up a pseudo-Japanese decor, and happens to offer a few sushi items. That's all. The staff all speak Chinese, the calendar on the wall is in Chinese, the word "vegetarian" written on the veggie section of the menu is Chinese, and many items on the menu are just downright Chinese dishes. I know so because I am Chinese.

Food was generic at best. Both my partner and I got the vegetarian chef's special, which included a starter plate of sushi and the "Kokyo Wok", which was basically a simple veggie stir-fry with bits of tofu and seitan in it served with rice. The sushi was fair, but the stir-fry was absolutely oversalted, perhaps even with MSG. I had to gulp down glasses of water after eating to wash out that nasty aftertaste. The tofu didn't live up to the hype either, didn't taste all that special to me. The rice portions were also a bit stingy, it was like 1/3 bowl full. The bill came to SEK 300, way overpriced for what it was.

Bottom line - don't bother trying this place, much less walking all the way up here from the city center like we did.

Cons: overpriced, oversalted/MSG, location
johanandren
johanandren

Great for lunch or dinner

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2010

I eat vegan lunch here about once a week. Staff is really friendly and the food is good with quite a variety of dishes to choose from (even for lunch)

Try the tofu-platter with their home made tofu for starters if you are there for dinner!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
X-tul23
X-tul23

Self made Tofu!

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2009

The selection of self made Tofu alone makes it worth to visit this restaurant. The food is very pure and simple but it is fresh and the Tofu is excellent. It also has to be one of the most friendly staff I've met.

Pros: Tofu, Friendly staff
tjobb
tjobb

My favorite place!

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

They have a lot of vegan japanese meals and the staff are super friendly. The best veggie sushi in Stockholm if you ask me! They deserve 5 cows but the rules forbids them to get it. (maximum rating is 4 cows for a non vegetarian restaurant...)

Dear Owner and Manager of Kokyo: