Koko Kitchen

Serves meat, veg options available. Quick sushi eatery with many vegan suitable choices not marked but visible on menu. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg
702 S 300 E
Salt Lake City, Utah 84115
801-364-4888

Open Mon-Fri 11am-2:30pm, Sat 11:30am-3pm 5:30-9:30pm.

First Review by MarzipanBreadLoaf
Navegante
Navegante

It's just OK.....

2 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2014

I went here for lunch. As I walk in, I notice a giant menu board with several different options. I scan it and don't see any vegetarian/vegan options right off, or symbols to clearly indicate those options. It just seems to be a lot of meat. I asked the lady at the counter, and she says that they can make some of their items vegan. She suggests the curry noodles or the teriyaki tofu. I tried the smallest plate of teriyaki tofu. It was inexpensive, and was a bowl of white rice, some vegetables, and a small pile of brown colored tofu on top with teriyaki sauce. The texture of the tofu seemed to be straight-from-the-package mushy texture. I don't really mind this texture, but when I go to a restaurant I sometimes expect them to grill, fry, or do something a bit different to my tofu besides soaking it in some soy or something to change the color. The taste of the dish was OK, but not great. The good thing about this place is that they have a great outdoor seating area, it is located close to downtown, and I was full at the end of eating my meal for less than $5. The service was also pretty fast. As I was leaving, I noticed a separate menu for the restaurant (maybe their old menu?) with several green leaves to mark their "vegetarian or can be made vegetarian" meals. If you go here - turn around to leave and you'll probably see it on the wall. The menu that is huge and seems to be their main menu above where I ordered was vast and confusing and didn't seem to cater to vegetarians/vegans at all.

Pros: Outdoor seating, Inexpensive
Cons: Confusing huge menu, No vegan choices clearly marked, Majority of dishes include meat
MarzipanBreadLoaf
MarzipanBreadLoaf

Japanese Food at a deal

4 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2013

I like this place. It is right on corner and probably often overlooked. They have many vegan options and the price is super reasonable. It's adorably small feeling. But surprising large with indoor and outdoor seating.

Dear Owner and Manager of Koko Kitchen: