Busy coffee shop offering a small vegetarian food menu with a couple of vegan options. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Ovo, American, Western
537 Great North Rd, Grey Lynn
Auckland, New Zealand
+64-9-379-2868

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Petesternz
corrinalyon
corrinalyon

Kokako

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2015

Coffee is great however I have rarely had the patience to eat here due to how busy it is. Meals can take a LONG time and staff often seem quite flustered but if you are after a high energy cafe this is a great location to take vege or non vege friends for classic breakfast options. For a vegetarian cafe, the vegan options are surprisingly limited but the avocado on toast is great.

Great spot to grab coffee after gettin takeaway from Tart Bakery across the street.

Pros: great coffee, location
Cons: quite noisy, despite size,limited seating during peak, limited vegan options
Plantpower
Plantpower

Very good coffee - and cafe

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2015

One of the best cafes in Auckland (if you ask me...). I really appreciate their commitment to create yummy vegan muffins or dishes. Being a roaster, they also make great coffee.

AllyG
AllyG

Limited or no choice for gluten free

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2014

This is a great café if you are vegetarian or vegan, but not so good if you are gluten intolerant.
Both times I've been here, I walked out without buying anything. My choices if I were to have g.f were both vegetarian with eggs and cheese.
It would be good to have at least one time in the cabinet that is g.f.

Pros: Good Coffee, Central Location in Grey Lynn
Cons: Not many if any, gluten free option, Parking can be hard

Petesternz
Petesternz

Nice place with solid vegan options

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

I have always been a fan of Kokako - since its first incarnation in Parnell. It has now moved to a bigger space in Grey Lynn and I'm still a fan - mostly. Their coffee is delicious and they have vegan hot chocolate too. They also have carefully marked vegan wraps, but they have removed some of their yummier vegan options - like curried scrambled tofu - from the menu. We still managed to find some good vegan muffins and a lovely oatmeal/porridge, but they no longer go out of their way to mark options for vegans as they once did. Vegetarians will have a field day here, and there is enough for vegans to get by, especially if you like wraps. Smoothies and coffees are a plus here too.

Pros: Cute place
Cons: Labelling erratic

Dear Owner and Manager of Kokako: