Serves meat, veg options available. Formerly called Wrenkh. Creative cuisine menu with several vegetarian choices. Reservation on weekends suggested. Rooms for parties and private functions. Price: Expensive more-less
Austrian, European, International, Gourmet, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by jasminetea
Maguffinator
Maguffinator

should be 5 stars

4 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

Everything here is amazing! After we finished, we re-ordered the polenta and quinoa salads, they were so good, but switched plates.

Visiting Vienna for a dew days, this wS a great find and a must try. Found it on Happy Cow! The restaurant is technically called "Wrenkh"

kfpixie
kfpixie

Yum!

4 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2013

Delicious! The food was excellent and the service was good. I'm always a little wary going to vegetarian friendly restaurants because sometimes the options aren't that great or they find it hard to accommodate me. Not at all with this place. I didn't have to make changes or substitutions. They clearly mark the vegetarian options and even say which can be made vegan. And they gave me a menu in English. Win. The biggest thing to know in advance is this place is cash only.

Pros: Great location
Cons: cash only
chicintelligente
chicintelligente

Nice Option in Vienna

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

This is a really great option for vegetarians and vegans in Vienna. Yes, I know that it is not all veg, but the options that they do have are really nice. The atmosphere is also more upscale then in most vegetarian or organic restaurants in Vienna, which I appreciate.

All four in my group started with different soups, which were all tasty and well-spiced. We then had some spreads to share, which were moreish and delicious. When I was not too keen with the menu's vegan option, the waiter kindly had the chef veganize one of the vegetarian dishes for me by replacing the cheese with tofu. I did not have dessert, but those of us who did expressed their approval!

Pros: Nice Ambiance/ Decor, Tasty Food, Friendly Staff
Cons: Not Totally Veg

havelock
havelock

Dr Jeckle and Mr Hyde

3 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2011

great food - a must visit in Vienna

Just ate in 'wrenkh' - this is what the street says BTW. Great setting, sit in restaurant, had a wonderful young waitress who spoke english and was very helpful.

We shared the olive tapenade and vegetables (good but not great); black salisify and parsnip puree (excellent), with a house salad (excellent) and potato's and vegetable dish (was excellent). Great menu but there are fish dishs on menu for the purists - also in Austria not alot of smoke around. Bad habit everywhere in Austria.
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 12, 2011

ate there the next day and it was like a different restaurant. the staff were rude and unaccomodating. The restaurant was busy but the seating was so cramped that we at one stage had a waitress derriere over our dishes for 7 minutes. While my wife was happy with her lentil salad - I had a parsnip and pear soup that had a berry coulis or jam at the bottom and it was just confused rather than satisfying.

Hard to reconcile the two different experiences - it's a hit and miss place. In balance though, there are few choices in Wien so you are probably better off taking the risk.

Pros: menu choice, quality of food, service
Cons: bad service, confused dishes, cramped
Alessandro
Alessandro

Great quality and presentation

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2011

Centrally located restaurant with creative menu (not 100% veg). Nice staff and good service. I tried a tasty carrot and ginger soup and an excellent quinoa salad.

Pros: friendly staff, quality and presentation, centrally located
Cons: a bit expensive
cmayr
cmayr

stylish place with modern cuisine

4 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2011

Restaurant is situated in the touristic centre of Vienna, has some outdoor seating and features meals that border on nouveau cuisine. Presentation of the food was very easy on the eye, ingredients were fresh and the staff was friendly. It's not a cheap place but we thought the meals were well worth the price.

Pros: imaginative dishes, nice staff
Cons: not cheap
hygienehost
hygienehost

WELL DONE

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2008

There are many well thought out vegetarian dishes. A smart and seasonal combination of vegetables. I will definitely return. A place to go for a nice dinner.

Pros: Well considered dishes, friendly yes
Seitti
Seitti

Very good!

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2008

This is a perfect place to go if you're looking for a bit fancier vegan/vegetarian food. Although there were also meat in the menu the waiter told me that every dish was possible to get vegan, too! And they gave me quite a generous discount when I had one dish without cheese.

jasminetea
jasminetea

Healthy food, but mostly meat

3 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2007

This place mostly served meat (check out their website - you don't need to read German, the pics of the lamb chops will assure you). That said, the waiter was fine to assure us that the invigorating dishes we chose were veggie. It still maintains a small (and I mean small) amount of veg options as it used to be fully veggie and had a reputation for it. May I say the meal was very yummy..... we went with two carnivores who also chose the veggie meals. It shouldn't have gone to the 'dark side'... you'll be hard pressed to find any 100% veggie place in Vienna anyway so you might as well come here if you're not fussed about meat in the kitchen as it was very healthy and compared to say London, quite reasonably prices in my opinion.

Pros: Yummy, Attentive service
Cons: Too much meat on menu

Dear Owner and Manager of KochSalon: