Macrobiotic restaurant, moved here in Mar 2013. Uses seasonal vegetables to create vegetarian/vegan Japanese food. Makes its own miso paste. Apr 2014 reported still open. Previously located in a different location on Akasaka, Minato-ku. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Beer/Wine
Scenario Kaikan, Floor B1 5-4-16 Akasaka, Minato-ku
Tokyo, Japan 107-0052
n/a

Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-2pm and 5pm-10pm with last order 9:30pm, Sat open only by reservation in advance, closed Sun and holidays.

First Review by sglcklch
johnp89
johnp89

CLOSED - 2-4-14

3 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

Saw an empty building with this shops name on the front. Definitely was closed down, but may of moved, would love confirmation...?

• nanamagari nanamagari

Allow me to follow up on the question of whether open on Saturday or not....
    I saw the owner just coming out of her shop at closing time yesterday and confirmed about Saturday. She is only open Saturday by reservation. So to sum up Kobachiya's open days/times:
    Monday - Friday Lunch (11:30 - 2pm I believe) and Dinner (5pm - 10:00pm with last order 9:30pm)
    Saturday: open only by reservation in advance
    Sunday and holidays: closed.

• nanamagari nanamagari

You went to the shop's old location. Yes, the old building is still vacant and the shop's name is still there. Very confusing indeed.

The new location is here:
    Scenario Kaikan (name of building)
    Floor B1
    5-4-16 Akasaka
    Minato-ku, Tokyo

and here is a Google maps street view link.

The new location is hard to find because Kobachiya has no real clear sign. Ive complained to the owner about it. For sure they are open for lunches and dinners Monday thru Friday. Sundays and Holidays they are definitely closed. Ill check about Saturdays. I believe they are closed on Saturdays but will double check.

• Ricardo Ricardo

Hello, I wonder if you went there on a Sunday or a Holiday, because they are closed on those days (the information in Happycow is not accurate regarding this).
    Also, I've been there in February, and the building did not look empty to me.

nanamagari
nanamagari

Great vegan place in the heart of Tokyo (Akasaka)

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2014

To say that its difficult to find vegetarian food in Tokyo would be a mild understatement. So having a vegan restaurant right near my place was a godsend- I was here 2 or 3 times a week. However, in late 2012 I believe it was, they closed their doors and I never got notice about any reopening.

Today, by a series of concidences, I found Kobachiya at their new location. I have always been a Kobachiya's fan when it came to lunch and was once again not disappointed. I will once again be visiting very often.

Regarding their dinners, in their previous location, I ate dinner a few times. The food was great. Very elaborate and not surprisingly a bit expensive (3000yen range). Once in a while an elaborate meal is nice. However, there were many times I just wanted the basics (kinda like they have at lunch). So I was pleased to learn that at their new location, they now have various dinner options, some of which are priced along the lines of their lunches. Now I am looking forward to more dinners here as well.

I love their genmai brown rice and reasonable sized portions for the price that include vegan miso soup and salad. The owner is great and she is very passionate about what she does.

I am also very appreciative of the owner's flexibility. I am a picky eater and dont do well with white creamy milky looking things (including any kind of tonyuu). The owner more than a few times changed something out for me and Ive always appreciated that.

Pros: healthy, delicious, good value
Cons: on a main road, but a bit tricky to find
Akitakomachi
Akitakomachi

My favorite restaurant

5 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

Kobachi-ya is one of the best vegan restaurants I've ever eaten at. I eat the lunch plate here two to three times a week . I sometimes go to their cooking lessons, and learn how to make vegan dishes. I learned that organic food is important for our health. If you'd like to have a lunch plate, I recommend that you come here after 1pm. And if you're not very keen on traditional Japanese foods, such as seaweeds (wakame, hijiki), konnyaku, ask them to substitute some ingredients in simple English before you order.

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Excellent food, Good value
iokan
iokan

Best meal in Japan

5 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

Finding vegetarian restaurants in Japan is hard, finding a gem like Kobachi-ya feels like a blessing. This restaurant is very small (only two tables), so the chef prepares a meal just for you and even comes and explain everything to you.

Basically we had a traditional Japanese meal, but with all macrobiotic and vegetarian ingredients. While I ate all the same things in other restaurants, the meal from Kobachi-ya was a world apart. The freshness of the ingredients, the subtile taste (the tempura isn't fat, greasy food) and of course the skilful preparation made this the best meal I've ever tasted in Japan (and I've been here for quite a while).

Pros: taste, personal service, only two tables, so very personal
Cons: seriously expensive, just two tables, so do make reservations, hard to find address
VeggieGardners
VeggieGardners

Wonderful!

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2013

We had dinner here while visiting Japan on our honeymoon. The food was absolutely delicious! We couldn't decide what to have, so we asked for recommendations from the owner. We shared a variety of dishes including the tofu mushroom steak, veggie tempura, brown rice, pickled veggies, daikon with umaboshi, miso soup, and something with seaweed. Despite the fact that we speak/understand very minimal Japanese, the two ladies working there were so sweet and helpful. They even gave us little cards with Japanese writing, to show at other restaurants, to explain that I am a vegetarian.
Would highly recommend this place to both vegetarians and non-vegetarians.

Pros: Welcoming staff, Delicious food, good value
Cons: none

sglcklch
sglcklch

Friendly owner, nice homecooking

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

My partner and I came here for dinner, and were surprised by how easy it was to find this place (Everybody knows Japanese addresses can be quite tricky). It was just steps away from Akasaka metro station.

The place was small but open, and super clean. They teach cooking classes there as well, which may explain the open setting. The owner (?) was an old lady, whose kindness reminded me of a loving grandmother, and we felt like guests in her own kitchen.

We ordered a dinner combo plate as recommended, which included a platter of nine different items, miso soup, brown rice, and a drink. We also got a sweet and sour soy meat with a brown rice onigir set. Nothing fancy, but tasty home-style cooking. The bill came to JPY5400, which was reasonable. The owner also gave us a bag of homemade vegan cookies to go, so nice of her!

Pros: homecooking, easy to find, very friendly service

Dear Owner and Manager of Kobachi-ya: