Ko-So Cafe

Opened Nov 2013, this is modern, healthy food cafe offering a selection of puree soups, vegetable curry, salad with pancakes, pasta, fruits deserts, housemade ginger drink, coffee, and alcoholic beverages. Food is mostly vegan; honey is used in a few dishes. Last order one hour before closing. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Japanese, Italian, Macrobiotic, Beer/Wine
Higashi, Shibuya-ku 3-25-3, Ebisu Lions Plaza 1F
Tokyo, Japan 150-0011
03-34093405

Open Mon-Fri: 9:30am-10pm, Sat-Sun11:30am-8pm.

First Review by MidnightSun112
MidnightSun112
MidnightSun112

Wonderfully unique!

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

If I were to make a minor complaint about some veg cafes in Tokyo, it would be that many dishes are similar and not as unique or creative as in other cities with a more developed veg culture such as Taipei or San Francisco. In that respect, Ko-so Cafe truly is a treasure! The concept behind the restaurant is that they use their own, homemade ingredient called kōso (酵素 lit. "enzyme") as a base for nearly every sauce on the menu. Rich in umami (savoriness), kōso is made from a blend of 88 different ingredients that are then fermented and aged for 18 months.
I went on a weeknight and started with the nut pâté & olive paste salad for an appetizer. The veggies looked beautiful and it was topped with fresh alfalfa sprouts, nuts, and vegan cheese. The waitress then appeared with tiny pitchers of 3 different homemade dressings to try: celery, red pepper, and onion. Each 1 contained only kōso and vegetables and the flavor was excellent. The salad also came with 2 slides of brown focaccia bread with some kuromitsu (lit. 'black honey', vegan and made from unrefined Okinawan black sugar) for dipping. Not everyone will be a fan of the sweet dipping sauce as it's typically used for desserts but I enjoyed it. For my main, I ordered the soy milk ricotta cheese & basilico romagna pasta. It was excellent, full of flavor, and the noodles were done to al dente perfection. I also found the portions of my salad and pasta to be generous by Tokyo standards. Overall, I had a great experience at Ko-so Cafe and my only regret is that I didn't try it sooner. Highly recommended!

Pros: flavorful, unique dishes, near the station, ample portions
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of Ko-So Cafe: