Serves meat, veg options available. Artisan bakery making pastries, cakes, and seasonal flat breads(ovo, lacto). Menu includes vegetarian friendly sandwiches and baked goods, but no vegan ones. Uses packaging made of 100% recycled paper. Has a booth at the Ojai Certified Farmers' Market on Sunday. Price: Expensive more-less
Lacto, Ovo, American, Italian, Delivery, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg
469 E Ojai Ave (downtown)
Ojai, California 93023

Wed-Sat 8:00am-4:00pm, Sun 9:00am-3:00pm

• Wheelchair accessible
  • Cash only

First Review by rgraham33

Ovo-lacto vegetarians okay

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Knead Baking Company review.

We came to Ojai in February 2012, and I was so excited to try this place (I like baked goodies). Unfortunately everything that's vegetarian suitable contains egg and dairy. The only thing I found that's vegan suitable was a bag of crackers that cost over $10.

The food menu offers some plates and sandwiches that are okay for ovo-lacto vegetarians but not for vegans.

On a positive note, the pastries and baked goods are all very fancy and artisanal.

Cons: expensive

Not much for vegans

Posted on 06 / 26 / 2010

I'm not sure how this place is vegan-friendly. They serve sandwiches and pastries, neither of which are vegan. Their bread is vegan, but I didn't go there for bread. I gave it two cows as this site said the lowest I could give it is 2 cows. It's more like 0 cows.

Cons: no vegan pastries, no vegan sandwichwes

Knead Baking Company

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2010

If you search the Internet for an Ojai company using the terms "artisan", "savory", "local", "fresh baked" and "just plain good" your search would return Knead Baking Company in Ojai, California.

Knead provides individualized artisan pastries baked to order. Their rustic, Italian-influenced baked goods feature a variety of flours, grains and local farm-fresh fruits and vegetables. My mouth is watering as I type. Their food is that fresh, that good.

If you have an anniversary, a birthday or need someone to provide creative food for a special party, they will bake, deliver and set up for individual plate or buffet orders. Your choice! They have an extensive offering including mini pastries, bars, cookies, cakes, coffee cakes, scones, cinnamon buns, pies, galettes and breads.

One of my favorite items continues to be their flat bread. The neat thing about Knead flatbreads is their seasonality. The savory rosemary flatbread has a combination of potatoes, cheese and fresh herbs. Perfect for fall weather. If you walk into their bakery today, don't be surprised to see a colorful pizza flatbread with sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, goat cheese and baby green chard. A flatbread for all seasons.

Knead Baking Company products are delicious and they are good for the environment. They pride themselves on using local organic ingredients and their packaging is made of 100% recycled paper.

Pros: Fresh, Artisan
Cons: Pricy

Dear Owner and Manager of Knead Baking Company: