First Review by kindlizard
Aspergirl
Aspergirl
  • non-vegetarian

A lot of good stuff but Expensive

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2014

I go there for the deli stuff mostly, but when a store has jars of spaghetti sauce for 8 bucks and they are overly picky about what they sell it's pushing it.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 08, 2014

Pros: Good Deli, Healthy
Cons: Expensive
tofuwrist
tofuwrist

Just don't.

1 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2014

This place smells of meat. I had high hopes for this place, especially because of its convienent location. Sure, there are a couple nice employees, but the few that are rude, ruined the entire experience for me. I've given it several chances, always walking out with regret that I spent a few dollars. If you're vegan, don't bother with this place, there's meat everywhere and it stinks.

Pros: Nothing
Cons: Meat smell , Rude employees , Overpriced
lovepj
lovepj
  • raw

good salads rude employees

2 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2013

I like the kiva the store carry's grass fed beef and few other items i use. They have great salads and sandwiches but the people who work here are rude they never have a smile on their face nor do they say have a good day or thank you for shopping here. There's never any excuse to be rude to anyone.The owner and manger need to retrain the employees on how to treat their customer, if it wasn't for customers the store wouldn't exist.

Pros: organic grass fed beef, great salads
Cons: rude employees, rude employees, rude employess

PommeDeTerre
PommeDeTerre

Expensive But Good

3 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2011

Kive is the go to health food store, location right next to the main bus station and the city library. It used to be dimly lit and the aisles were a bit narrow, but after the recent remodel it's well lit and more spacious. Product selection is decent, the prices are slightly higher than other health food stores in town.

Pros: Friendly Staff
Cons: High Prices
MarkUser
MarkUser

Flesh

1 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2011

The whole store smells like meat, dirty. The store just has an overall dirty feel as well and unfortunately, in case you didn't know, smells permeate everything even metal and especially plastic. I just won't buy anything from a store that smells like dead rotting flesh, I'm sorry.

Pros: Couldn't tell you
Cons: Meat, Meat Smell, Everywhere, Gross
Eric Devin
Eric Devin

Unless it's convenient, try another store...

1 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2010

I just don't understand this place. Of all of the natural food stores in town (and there are plenty, especially when Market of Choice is factored in), Kiva is on average, the most expensive. I understand that they are probably paying a premium in terms of rent for their location, but things are 20-30% more than places like Sundance or Red Barn, or even Capella. Also, I've had several unpleasant interactions with the staff, so friendliness in my experience may or may not be a part of the equation. Some of the folks that work there are nice, but a couple of bad apples have spoiled the basket as far as I'm concerned. Why would I want to come back and risk being treated poorly, especially when I have plenty of choices? The combination of expensive prices and sometimes unfriendly staff make this place wholly avoidable. Unless you are on foot or have some other reason why you can't get to another natural foods store, I'd steer clear of the Kiva.

Pros: Location
Cons: Prices, Staff (at times)
oregonveg
oregonveg

Good sandwiches

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2009

One of Eugene's good local grocery stores. Really good deli, small produce selection. great sandwiches.

Pros: excellent food, Friendly staff, local
Cons: small selection
  • kindlizard kindlizard

so you love this place for the small produce section but large meat deli? that's cool, are you sure you're veg?

kindlizard
kindlizard

not for me

2 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2008

I know many folks in Eugene swear by Kiva, in fact, when Whole Foods tried to move in town, many said oh no, poor Kiva and they never did. But the Kiva is an odd little place, imo. They have a ton of meat, the place smells like a meat market to me, and the produce seems off to the side. I don't get it, but I don't have to. I would only go there if I went downtown and needed a drink.

Pros: downtown
Cons: too much meat, odd place

Dear Owner and Manager of Kiva: