Menu is an eclectic mix of American and Mediterranean food in an intimate deli-style setting. Serves all vegan sandwiches, salads, and pizza. Opened May 2013. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Western, Pizza, Take-out, Delivery
613 W Briar Pl (Broadway)
Chicago, Illinois 60657
773-661-1757

Open Tue-Fri 3-11pm, Sat 10am-11pm, Sun 10am-6pm.

First Review by Veggie46
Mcarlsonlane
Mcarlsonlane

Check it out!

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2014

I know when this place first opened, people were impatient while the kinks were being ironed out. Remember people, this is not some chain like Native Foods. Kitchen 17 is independently owned by a local person, not a corporation (no offense, Native Foods-just making a point) who is probably relatively new at running a restaurant.

That being said, in my opinion, the owner and staff have done a great job getting up to speed and I can't wait to go to Kitchen 17 again. It has the great, unique vibe of an independent restaurant, which I really like. When I went, I had the shawarma (which I've never seen as vegan before-I was psyched) and it was super good. The people next to us got a pizza that looked so good! Next time, I'm going for the pizza...and probably one of the lovely looking desserts.

If you've never checked out Kitchen 17 before, I totally suggest you do. If you haven't checked it out in awhile, I'd say it's definitely worth checking out again.

lolamigas
lolamigas

Completely Average

2 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2013

I've gone here twice and both times I've been severely unimpressed. The first time I ordered a pizza, which was undercooked to the point of just tasting like raw rough.. and normally I would have returned it and requested it be cooked longer but I didn't have time. Even if it was cooked completely, the sauce was unexciting and the toppings were expected. My friend ordered a rosemary burger, which was okay except for the buns tasted super cheap. For a relatively expensive burger, I'd expect decent bread. I gave this place a second chance, I think I ordered a burger with different bread (obviously not very memorable), but again, I was really disappointed. I'm not coming here again. The restaurant itself has a bit of an uncomfortable vibe, and both times I was anxious to leave.

Pros: all-vegan
Cons: poor value, disappointing food
smoothsweetness
smoothsweetness

Amazing vegan place!!

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2013

I've gone here a couple times and each time it was delicious. The food is all vegan so I don't have to ask about any substitutions.

The owner/cook is right out front, chatting and answering questions and asking if you want to change the playlist he has going.

The beverages are free (I think it's tea and coffee and lemonade and water?); you just grab a glass and help yourself.

Very reasonable prices for extremely filling food. I'm so so so so happy there is a new vegan joint right by my house. It is a bit out of sight, but I really hope that people will continue to go here because if it closes I will be a sad panda.

Pros: Tasty food, Free drinks, BYOB
Cons: Half a block off the main street
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Doesn't live up to the hype...

2 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

I hate to be the first person to give this establishment a 1 star rating (HC doesn't allow 1 star ratings for vegan places, but this place is a clear 1), but Kitchen 17 does not live up to all the 5 star hype. I understand a lot of people are upping the rating because the owner is really nice - he is, and that makes it hard for me to give a negative rating. But I wouldn't be fair to others if I just gave them 5 stars because of a nice manager when I clearly intend to never dine at K 17 ever again. Also, feedback is important to restaurant owners so that they know what works and what doesn't.

My dining partner and I ordered many things from the menu so I feel fairly confident that my rating is warranted. Also, when we finished our meals we both made the observation that nothing appeared to be made in-house, each entrée seemed to be thrown together with store bought ingredients.

The Food:
- Nachos: VERY average. The nachos were covered in black beans, TVP, canned salsa, vegan sour cream, and a tasteless vegan cheese (note, this is one thing we think was made in-house, but it seriously tasted like nothing). You could easily throw this together with a bag of chips, a can of black beans, a jar of salsa, and a tub of Tofutti vegan sour cream - which is what we think they did.
- Sloppy Joes: Not that good and not worth ordering. There was nothing sloppy about these Joes. The sandwich was literally bread and dry TVP. We asked the owner for BBQ sauce and since they didn't have any he whipped up something quickly. The sauce he made was good and made the sloppy Joes taste much better.
- Philly Cheesesteak: Vegan Philly Cheesesteaks are my vegan food drug of choice, so I've tried these all around the country. This one was among my least favorites. The sandwich/seitan was mostly dry, I didn't care too much for the ranch-like sauce on top, but I was happy there was Teese cheese on the sandwich.
- Potato Salad: Never arrived.
- Peanut Butter Cake: This was actually good and would be the only thing I'd eat from K 17 if I were to go again.

The Service:
- You order your food at the counter and they bring it to you. Although it's really confusing who to place your order with as the girl that was standing at the register (who we thought would be taking our order) kind of ignored us - but the owner wasn't, as he was the one taking our order. It was just confusing.
- This is BYOB, which is a nice feature.

Cons: Harrassed by owner for critical review
KatieB
KatieB

Great conversation, desserts, and inventive food!

5 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2013

My parents and I stopped in to check this place out. We tried a bunch of the desserts first, and the cake was amazing! Very rich. The proprietor was really friendly and shared his secrets to making incredible seitan. My omnivore father tried a sample of his home-made pepperoni and LOVED it. Will definitely be back for pizza. We also tried a cold chickpea salad (like tuno salad), which was delicious. Drinks are free with a meal, and they're fine with BYOB, so there's no excuse not to make an afternoon of sampling
e v e r y t h i n g .

Veggie46
Veggie46

delicious deli style food!

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2013

This place is fantastic and cheap! Pizza, burgers, nachos, and salads!

Pros: cheap, delicious, homemade setian

Dear Owner and Manager of Kitchen 17: