Doesn't live up to the hype...
Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013
I hate to be the first person to give this establishment a 1 star rating (HC doesn't allow 1 star ratings for vegan places, but this place is a clear 1), but Kitchen 17 does not live up to all the 5 star hype. I understand a lot of people are upping the rating because the owner is really nice - he is, and that makes it hard for me to give a negative rating. But I wouldn't be fair to others if I just gave them 5 stars because of a nice manager when I clearly intend to never dine at K 17 ever again. Also, feedback is important to restaurant owners so that they know what works and what doesn't.
My dining partner and I ordered many things from the menu so I feel fairly confident that my rating is warranted. Also, when we finished our meals we both made the observation that nothing appeared to be made in-house, each entrée seemed to be thrown together with store bought ingredients.
- Nachos: VERY average. The nachos were covered in black beans, TVP, canned salsa, vegan sour cream, and a tasteless vegan cheese (note, this is one thing we think was made in-house, but it seriously tasted like nothing). You could easily throw this together with a bag of chips, a can of black beans, a jar of salsa, and a tub of Tofutti vegan sour cream - which is what we think they did.
- Sloppy Joes: Not that good and not worth ordering. There was nothing sloppy about these Joes. The sandwich was literally bread and dry TVP. We asked the owner for BBQ sauce and since they didn't have any he whipped up something quickly. The sauce he made was good and made the sloppy Joes taste much better.
- Philly Cheesesteak: Vegan Philly Cheesesteaks are my vegan food drug of choice, so I've tried these all around the country. This one was among my least favorites. The sandwich/seitan was mostly dry, I didn't care too much for the ranch-like sauce on top, but I was happy there was Teese cheese on the sandwich.
- Potato Salad: Never arrived.
- Peanut Butter Cake: This was actually good and would be the only thing I'd eat from K 17 if I were to go again.
- You order your food at the counter and they bring it to you. Although it's really confusing who to place your order with as the girl that was standing at the register (who we thought would be taking our order) kind of ignored us - but the owner wasn't, as he was the one taking our order. It was just confusing.
- This is BYOB, which is a nice feature.
Harrassed by owner for critical review