CLOSED: Kitaro Sushi Bento

Serves meat, veg options available. Offers a separate full vegan menu with over 30 vegan sushi rolls, the option of a vegan alternative to every entree on the regular menu, including miso soup and udon soups, and a choice of brown or white rice for non-sushi items. Note: ask if tempura is fried in same oil as non-veg. Reported closed to HappyCow, March 2012. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Japanese, Non-veg
1624 N 45th St (Densmore Ave N, Wallingford District)
Seattle, Washington 98103
206-547-7998

Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-8:30pm, Sun 4-8pm.

First Review by kathleen_sachiko
thoor_ballylee
thoor_ballylee

Asian Food

3 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2011

I've only been here a couple times and I wanted to like it more then I did on both occations. It's not bad but the others are right to say that you can get better veggie sushi just about anywhere else. This place is really nothing special at all, especially if you eat vegan asian and veggie sushi as much as I do, all I could think about was how much I was paying to very bland and boring food. I wouldn't mind going back with friends and I don't mean to sound like I hated it or that the food was horible but it is trully nothing special. If you are looking for vegan or vegetarian asian food in Seattle you can do a lot better with Jhanjay right up the road or a number of others all around Seattle

Pros: vegan sushi options, location
Green Bird
Green Bird

Wonderful

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2009

This place is just wonderful. I've never seen such a long list of available vegan sushi. They also have other dishes in the regular menu suitable for vegans as well including a mushroom teriyaki that my husband really likes. We've been here a few times now since our first visit during various days of the week and it's never busy. Like others have said, it's a mom & pop place and they're very nice.

The food is excellent. We've tried a number of the different rolls and never been disappointed. One of my favorites is the spicy veggie tempura and broccoli tempura. In face all the tempura is wonderful, it's made without egg which I guess is common in other tempura. We took some friends who after having the miso said they'd highly recommend it.

I'm constantly craving this sushi and I'm sad and glad I don't live closer to it. Glad because I'd spend all my money if I was able to go there all the time, but sad because we have to drive to get there.

After trying veggie sushi up and down the west coast I have to say this is my personal favorite.

Pros: Excellent Selection, Friendly, Local Business
Cons: Serves fish, Small tea selection
tofutodd
tofutodd

kitaro....

2 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2009

I really wanted to love this hole in the wall. But from the moment you step in, you are overcome with cooked oil/fryer smell that turns your stomach. There is no music, the sushi bar is closed. There are 28 vegan sushi rolls, however all sound very similar and none stand out. No specialty rolls. The miso was not great, the agedashi tofu, while vegan, had a strange batter. Nothing steller. I was the only patron from 7:30 to 8:3 on wednesday. Poor kitaro, I had such high hopes. You're sadly better off going to any sushi bar and asking the chef to make you vegan rolls.

Pros: Vegan menu, Quaint, family run

lolamigas
lolamigas

Sushi Favorite

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2008

My boyfriend and I are vegan and try to come here often. A lot of the rolls are filled with vegetable tempura and are absolutely delicious. The vegetable tempura udon is also great (make sure you request a vegan broth).

Sunday - Thursday only the chef is working so be prepared to be patient or play a game of chess if there are a lot of people in the restaurant (though it's usually pretty empty). Friday and Saturday his wife works too so things are a little faster. They are both really friendly and sweet.

Pros: excellent sushi, vegan-friendly, friendly staff
Cons: slower service, closed sushi bar
kathleen_sachiko
kathleen_sachiko

Best Veg sushi i town!!!

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2007

My husband and I love this place! We're always worried it will go out of business because it's so small. They have a huge selection (20+) of vegan rolls, including VEGAN MISO! The Chef is very nice and makes wonderful food. This restaurant also serves fish, but don't let that scare you off, he keeps everything separated and understands because his wife is vegan. Try the Age Dashi Tofu!!

Pros: Cheap, Delicious, Convenient

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Kitaro Sushi Bento: