Serves meat, veg options available. Ki's, the "i" pronounced long "i," features some vegetarian and vegan-friendly choices on its breakfast/lunch menu, which includes a marinated tempeh sandwich, vegetable stir fry, fajitas, tostada, veggie millet burger, butternut squash and corn enchiladas, fresh juices and smoothies. Breakfast/lunch is priced reasonable and inexpensive - you order at the counter and food is brought to your table. Dinner menu has fish in addition to veg-options and is full service. Seating is on 2nd floor with ocean view. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Non-veg

First Review by vegheadhonna
Chia
Chia

Good choice when in the area

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Ki's review.

My husband and I had driven on the Coast Highway past the restaurant a some years back but it was not until our last trip to San Diego that we made an effort to check it out. It was worth the trip, especially considering that there are not many pure veg or vegan choices in the area.

We knew that is was not pure veg; however, the breakfast/lunch menu appeared to be veg friendly. Veg dishes included a marinated tempeh sandwich, butternut squash and corn enchilada, vegetable fajita, tostada, stir fry, and a couple more others. Main dish prices ranged from $8+ to $11 each.

We shared the tempeh sandwich which was filled with double-decker tempeh, carmelized onions, avocado, chipotle mayo.
Came with a beautiful side salad and house-made dressing. Tasty and hearty. We also shared the butternut squash and corn enchilada which came with a side of brown rice, black beans, salsa, and tortilla chips. We said no to the soy cheese, because it was not vegan (at the time of this writing they used "Veggie Slices" brand which contains casein). Tasted okay though my husband liked it better than I.

We each also ordered a smoothie, and they were both yummy.

Breakfast/lunch menu prices are good and reasonable. Order at the counter and food is brought to your table. Dinner is full service and maybe more expensive. Seating is on the second floor with ocean view.

A good choice when in the area.

Pros: has veg choices, inexpensive lunch prices, ocean view
Cons: also serves meat
Guest
Guest

Ki's a no go for vegan customers

2 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2011

Okay I don't like giving bad reviews and I read the others from other customers. But I don't think any of them tried the vegan food on the menu. I think that the cooks aren't familiar with cooking vegan cuisine because my risotto tasted like a garden, earthy taste and everything. My family got two other dishes there and in total we tried the curry, the risotto and the taquitos and none of them were very good. They wanted to take vegetarian and meat dishes and just take out certain ingredients to make it vegan. Yes, sometimes you can do that but you have to be very familiar with cooking vegan. While it is nice they were trying to be accommodating it would be better for them to stick to what they know or take some classes in Vegan cooking because the dishes they were offering could be very tasty with the right skill set.

Pros: Location
Cons: Vegan food dull
mrshmtaylor
mrshmtaylor

Also a fan

4 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2009

I love Ki's - Their prices look a little intimidating at first, but the quality is well worth it. Most portions can actually be two meals, plate sharing might be a good idea if you are a small eater. I've had several breakfasts and lunches there and have been in love with each dish I've tried. If you like muffins, you'll love these. The view is fun, the atmosphere is casual, and the staff are very friendly. I love their smoothies as well, but did not notice any yogurt alternatives. Organic Coffee is a plus, with free refills. I enjoy stopping in for to-go items on my way to work.
I think it's a great place to take your non-vegetarian friends or family also. They'll easily be able to appreciate the amazing taste of these dishes.

EncinAdia
EncinAdia

One Of My Top 3 Favorite Spots In SD!

4 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2009

I absolutely LOVE Ki's! I was lucky enough to stumble upon this place years ago, when I first moved to SD...and I have been there countless times since. I take EVERY guest (family and friends) who are in town to visit me. The view of the crashing ocean waves always wows 'em! And the food just feels so "California". Lunch time is great because you do not need to tip! The special house dressing is sooooo amazing! You will swear is has dairy, but it does not! I even buy their dressing sometimes from Jimbo's...delish (but check for honey, which I do eat). I always order the squash/corn enchiladas for lunch. And the Acai smoothie is the best in San Diego (I substitute blueberries instead of strawberries). Ki's is a completely different experience at night. The place is very romantic and dimly lit. They sometimes have a live jazz band or piano players. I love the more formal/expensive dinner menu for two reasons...the Santa Fe Tempeh entree and the Chocolate Cake. Both are vegan and both are divine! Yum!

Pros: Ocean View, Parking, Vegan Options
Cons: N/A
vegheadhonna
vegheadhonna

Awesome Tempeh Sammich.

4 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2009

I adore Ki's. I had something like a tostada there once that was incredible, just asked for no cheese and it was perfect. The tempeh sandwich is generous and delightful with avocado!!! Also has the best view you could ever ask for.

Dear Owner and Manager of Ki's: