CLOSED: Kingdom of Vegetarians

Chinese vegetarian cuisine. Dishes are mostly vegan except for honey used in some dishes - ask. Offers a range of vegetable dishes, tofu, and faux meat like orange chicken. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Kosher

First Review by condekedar
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Great food but declined over time

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

Sad to hear this place has closed. Their food was amazing. Once they were bought by new owners, they started trying to be more fancy, and it killed off a lot of their usual customers. The food was amazing, though. Sad to see it go.

Pros: All-veg, Very friendly
Cons: Closed, Tried to be too fancy
kbd
kbd

Like!

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2012

Something I missed once becoming vegetarian was Orange chicken. This was the only almost vegan that had orange chicken. (most has orange beef). It was basically tofu, fried which tasted great to me! The orange sauce was spicy although they said it wasn't. I don't like any hot spice. I also got vegetable fried rice which is the best I've ever gotten at a Chinese restaurant because it had a lot more vegetables than normal places. He also gave an extra side of broccoli. I don't know if that's normal because I called him twice asking how the veggies were cooked. I didn't want any sauce so it was perfect. Also shared coconut triangles and fried sesame balls. All Delicious!! Best meal for me. Highly recommend it!

Pros: Excellent food, Good value
John Kevin
John Kevin

Good Near Convention Center

3 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2011

I usually stop by Kingdom of Vegetarians once on every trip to the city -- mostly because it's so convenient to the Convention Center. They have the usual fake meats (OK by me), but it's definitley not health food. Hot and sour soup here I always think is too salty and with too much pepper. They have strange and sticky plastic sheets over the tables, which destroy the atmosphere, but it's the food that makes this stop worthwhile ... and the reasonable prices!

Pros: Prices, Location
Cons: No atmoshphere

ccc
ccc

kingdom of vegetarian

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2010

mostly vegan

Pros: excellent food, extensive menu, reasonable prices
onlyahuman
onlyahuman

Fake meat, but Great cheesecake!

3 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2010

I've had two trips to Kingdom of Vegetarians so far. Being a vegan vegan (I don't like fake meat) there is little for me to choose from. I ordered Mushu vegetables with pancakes and I tried to order a side of brown rice and was denied. "No! you don't eat rice with Mushu it comes with pancakes!". The mushu was very greasy/salty and I couldn't even eat half of it. It seems like the main reason to go to any vegetarian Asian eatery is if they have good dessert and they certainly delievered on that. They had an awesome chocolate vegan cheesecake that I would go back again just to get.

Pros: dessert
Cons: main course
rvasquez
rvasquez

Good Food, Great Selection

4 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2008

I was overall pretty pleased with this restaurant. We ordered way too much food since it all sounded so good. The only thing I didn't like was the veggie beef, but the rest was all quite good. The ribs were great, but more like chicken tenders then ribs. Soups were good too.

Pros: Good Food, Friendly Staff
Cons: veggie beef = weird
Merciless666
Merciless666

The name rules!!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2008

i've been in the kingdom back in 2004 with a couple of friends and really enjoyed the food in there even though i didn't liked th atmosphere at first. we all went out nearly exploding and unable to move. Amazing place!!
check it out!!

Pros: good value, exellent food, friendly
Cons: to far from home
kindlizard
kindlizard

Good dim sum, wrong takeout order

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2008

We really enjoyed the dim sum. We left a lot of it uneaten if we did not like it. They brought the dessert and we asked for more dim sum, it is after all, all you can eat. So we had some that we really liked. much of it was deep fried, and others were steamed, so it was a mix. Your arteries would not want it everyday, but it was good. The soup was just ok. We also took a large to-go order since veg Chinese is rare around us, and they got the entire order wrong. We were disappointed by that. All in all a nice place, very cost effective, too.

Pros: price, dim sum all you can eat
Cons: soup , wrong takeout order
tablemoonspoons
tablemoonspoons

dim sum.

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2008

i have only been here for dim sum, so here we go. when you order the dim sum special they basically bring you out lots of little different things until you can not eat anymore, so it is a really good deal. but here is the warning: some of this food is so good and so filling and is probably about as bad for you as vegan food can get so be prepared (if you like good tasting filling fatty stuff) to bring the range of your palate to another level, a level you probably can not even imagine. you may leave thinking you will never come back, you may leave wanting to come about 36hrs later (probably the next time you will be hungry again) but you no matter what, in the end you will not be able to stop thinking about going back, but maybe it is just me... who knows.

SKMass
SKMass

Definitely not health food

3 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2008

For me, it was way too deep fried and way too salty...come to think of it, pretty sugary as well. It was tasty, but I left feeling heavy. I am planning to go back to try the Dim Sum. It looked really attractive. Unfortunately, I was seduced by the six dollar lunch special. That is one thing I will say: the prices are fantastic.

Pros: great prices, good service, many choices
Cons: fatty, sugary, salty
beautiful_sky
beautiful_sky

cheap and yummy!

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2007

First of all, I'm not even a fan of Chinese food, but when I had food from Kingdom, I was hooked. It was fabulous. Their lunch menu is cheap and you get a ton of food including soup and tea. I've brought several of my meat eater friends here and they've loved it and have requested that we go there again. The atmosphere of the visitors and the staff is great. The look of the place could use a little sprucing up, but when the food tastes good and I'm being treated well, I have no complaints.

Pros: cheap, delicious, large portions
Cons: appearance
will-travel-for-food
will-travel-for-food

Mock meat central

4 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2007

If you are into mock meats, this place is great. We each got the dim sum special ($10) and, despite being hearty eaters, couldn't finish all of the different foods presented to us. Ten dollars goes a really long way here. You'll need a big nap after a dim sum meal here. The staff is very nice, and there is kitchy artwork for sale on the walls.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly, Huge mock meat selection
condekedar
condekedar

Disappointing

2 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2007

I found the food here to be quite disappointing. I had the Beef Chow Fun and a Chicken Hot Pepper with Broccoli, both of which were bland, oily, and generally uninspired. The mockmeats were both gooey and had the texture of steak fat. While I appreciated the quantity and variety of vegetables they offered in each dish, the flat tastes and the low-quality mockmeats made this place a major disappointment. I also tried their mango vegan cheesecake, and it tasted all right, but was clearly not fresh.

Pros: Large portions, Large menu
Cons: Bland, Bad mockmeats, Stale cheesecake
Guest
Guest

Inoffensive- but I prefer Singapore

4 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2007

My mom and I recently went to Kingdom of Vegetarians for lunch (mostly because of the high reviews on this fine website) and were underwhelmed. We were promptly seated (as there was no one else in the restaurant) by the very nice waitress. My mom was a little grossed out that they had a cat hanging out in the restaurant, but it didn't bother me so much. We both ordered lunch specials, which basically amounted to huge portions of food (kung pao 'chicken' for my mom, and eggplant with garlic sauce for myself). The 'chicken' wasn't really believable as far as faux meat goes, but the sauce was pretty nice with lots of different veggies. My eggplant was good, but the flavor was secondary to the virtue of my single portion being able to feed at least 2 people with ease. The soups we got before our main entrees were underwhelming, my mom's hot and sour being a little too sour, and my wonton being a little bland. However, we left with huge take out bags, enough for my broke college student self to get 3 more meals out it, and a desire to try the dim sum--which hopefully will be a lot more remarkable.

Pros: Cheap, No Wait, Nice staff
Cons: Faux meat clearly faux, A little bland, wished we got dim sum
  • Euphony Euphony

Update, I went for dim sum the other day. Yes it was all you can eat, but half of it was not good at all. My friend and I left full to the point of nausea, but were disappointed that half the dumplings they served were just inedible. In sum, I doubt I will ever eat here again.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Kingdom of Vegetarians: