King Join

Name in Chinese is 京兆尹. Address in Chinese is 台北市大安區四維路18號. Ancient Chinese delicacy as enjoyed by emperors of the Qing dynasty ("palace cuisine"). Popular among visitors to Taiwan for its beautiful interior and food. Lots of desserts and boxed treats as well. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Gourmet
18, SiWei Rd, Da-an District (near RenAi traffic roundabout)
Taipei, Taiwan
02-27013225

First Review by linjamie
Moraine
Moraine

A treat.

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2014

A friend is a frequent here and she suggested us what to order. All the things she recommended were amazing! Check the photos I updated for her recommendation list. I especially love their fried rice. The rice was cooked perfectly, not mushy nor hard. The fried rice was not oily at all. Crunchy nuts and sweet pepper made the fried rice even more interesting. But the radish bun (蘿蔔絲餅), which is not on my friend's list, was just okay. The filling was tasty. But the outer skin was a bit soggy and didn't have enough layers.

The attendants were very friendly and they dressed like Qing dynasty people. I went there on Sunday for lunch and there was a live guzheng music performance. Overall, very highly recommended.

Pros: Delicious! , Royal cuisine (special experience)
Cons: Higher price
vtraveller
vtraveller

Great food

4 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2012

I came here with a friend, but during the afternoon tea time when many dishes aren't offered. Of the one's available, I was pretty happy. You can see the photos I uploaded with what I ate as I'm not sure of many of dishes by name. I especially like the wild greens with sesame paste, and the radish cake. The sticky rich was also quite good.

Pros: Good food
mysoulisbare
mysoulisbare

Even the Chinese people will be impressed.

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

King Join is one of my favorite restaurants. I go there at least once a week. Chinese style decorating, but not grand. They provide fantastic food. Even chinese will be impressed.
however, I don't like their sets. To order a la cart is much better.

If you are a vegan, you have to tell they first. They do not use egg, but some of dishes have maik.

BTW, I don't think they use many butter. The special aroma should be a Chinese spice witch named "Toona sinensis".

Pros: tasty
greentea
greentea

Nice decor, but overly buttery food

3 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2008

The decor of King Join is beautiful and a good place to stay. However, vegans should let the waitresses know, especially if you get one of the sets. The dessert includes a large helping of yoghurt otherwise.

In the evening, there is often somebody playing live music on traditional Chinese instruments.

I found many of the dishes to be too buttery for my tastes, such as the vegetable dishes, but the noodle dishes were quite good.

Pros: Decor, Live Music
Cons: Price
skymonkey
skymonkey

unique dining experience

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2008

this is a very special restaurant. it focuses on dishes that used to be served to chinese emperors. it wasn't always a vegetarian restaurant. as most of us know, there was no way any chinese emperors were vegetarians. but the owner of this place converted to buddhism and subsequently converted his restaurant to vegetarian only. this has caused considerable decline to his business, but is great news for us vegetarians. the dishes still preserves the original ideals and can fool any meat-eaters. they are quite delicious and unique. the portions are quite small, but this allows you to sample more dishes. it is quite expensive, but i think is well worth it. the waitresses sometimes can be quite pushy, but looking past that, this is an overall excellent restaurant.

linjamie
linjamie

Very Special- I feel like an emperor :)

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2008

This is definitely a "Spectacular". The entrance is amazing, we took a few pictures. It is more than going out for dinner, it's like cultural experience too! A Must-try for sure!!!

We had several dishes and they all seemed pretty nice. One thing I'll recommend is their dessert. Ask for their recommendations, we had a bunch and we loved them!

As for location it is not far from the busiest shopping street, ZhongXiao East Rd., in Taipei.

Pros: yummy, setting , very different
Cons: a bit pricey