Market and cafe. Stocks natural health products, herbal remedies, supplements, and organic foods and produce, and packaged deli foods. Also a natural cafe and coffee bar that is open 11am-2pm: prepared package foods, vegan nut loaf with whipped sweet potatoes, vegan raspberry almond cookies, and more; soymilk option available for coffee drinks. Open daily. more-less

First Review by Spiritualized1
lindamink
lindamink

Excellent place for local produce

5 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2010

I have been coming to Kimberton to shop for the past 9 years. I've read complaints here about the staff but honestly I have NEVER experienced any problems with the staff at Kimberton. In fact, quite the opposite. They are always very helpful when I need to find something. The only problems I have is when they have a new staff member who has to be trained to type in the produce codes, it takes a little longer to check out, but I understand that they are in training :)

I come to Kimberton first to get my produce needs because they locally source many of their produce items. This is important because it helps support the local community of farmers. Also, I purchase my bread from here when I can't get it from the Brick Oven Bakery downtown Phoenixville. Kimberton carries some of the best fresh baked bread items around (Stoudts Brewery, Oley Bakery, and Sweetwater Bakery). I also buy Camphill Kimberton's Raw Milk here, and I get fresh Seven Stars Yogurt. The items here at Kimberton are actually cheaper than you can get them at the Giant down the road. (Trust me I've done the comparison). Also a big cost saver is the bulk foods section. You can buy bulk Oatmeal, Rice, Beans, Quinoa, CousCous and spices in the back of the store near the coffee. I highly recommend buying your grains and spices this way! If you are an herbal tea lover like me, there is a very large selection of available pre bagged teas here too.

For protein sources for a vegetarian, Kimberton offers many selections, including a tofu that is available in a bucket. Look for a white bucket in the refridgerated section. Use the tongs to grab some of the densest tofu around! I love this tofu. In this same section there are Tofurky Sausages, Tofurky slices, Tempeh and "meat crumbles". Even more can be found in the frozen section, including my favorite Celebration Roast by Fieldroast.

And Kimberton also has a little cafe if you would like to grab something to eat immediately. I love this store. It changed my life. I hope you enjoy it too!

Pros: variety, quality, location
snowy11480
snowy11480

Love the store and cafe

5 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2009

I shop here often (more often at the store in downingtown) and love their selection of items. I usually find the staff helpful. not the cheapest place by far, but worth it because of the quality in the items as well as the cause - supporting local farmers and organic products as well. We eat in the cafe frequently - ordered the vegetarian rueben many times and LOVE it.

Pros: lots of organic and vegetarian items, cafe inside store, good food, staff are helpful
Cons: many items are pricey
julia
julia

review

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

this store hires people with both physical and mental challanges--which is a good thing to remember at the register! the whole purpose of this store is to support local and organic farmers--that is why it is still family run and not publically traded--OPEN your heart and support this establishment-the employees take less money because of the cause! YUM! any complaints--call a manager-they are always helpful

HappyFolkie
HappyFolkie

Excellent store

4 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2007

This is the home store of growing chain and does a nice job of showing how a small operation can compete with the bigger fish. They have carefully selected gifts and an excellent variety of products in the food section.

I had one negative experience there in several years of visiting (a member of the staff was rude) and when I e-mailed the manager with my concerns she apologied, offered a solution, and promised to talk to the staff. It makes me proud to have such a fine establishment so nearby.

As the previous person noted, the only thing keeping Kimberton Whole Foods from a 5/5 is that sometimes you run into a person who is distant or unhelpful. Example, I was buying a few items and the cashier actually chatted with another staff person while she checked me out, which is not the norm there. (At Giant, the cashiers do this all the time.)

It balances out though: The last time the manager actually rang me up and was awesome. And the cafe cook made the most aweinspiring grilled cheese for my son once, even taking a minute to chat with us as it sizzled on the grill.

If you are in the area, seek this place out. The in-store coupons help balance out the price difference, too.

Pros: Selection, Food , Most Staff
Cons: Some Staff
Spiritualized1
Spiritualized1

Smug little vegetarian oasis

4 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2006

The people who work there are a bit self-satisfied, but the market is very good. The cafe was good at one time, but I can no longer recommend their food as they too often have only pre-wrapped items that are soggy.

Pros: Great Selection
Cons: Smug Staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Kimberton Whole Foods: