Serves meat, veg options available. 60+ years old pork cutlet restaurant with also a Chinese vegetarian menu. Veg choices include a few types of noodle soup (main dish), a few side salads, and deep fried vegetable protein dishes such as "chicken" balls or fried "shrimp" - ask if uses same fryer as meat. No English spoken, but staff understands "vegetarian" and "macrobiotic." Directions: from Tsurumai subway station exit 2, cross footbridge to the other side of the large road, and walk up, keeping the Family Mart and JR Tsurumai station to your right, turn up the first street to your left (a one-way street) and walk a short way. KiHarutei is a tall white building with the characters 気晴亭 on it. Price: Moderate more-less
Chinese, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

FruitMonstar
FruitMonstar

Salty and heavy

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2016

I have tried this place twice.

A good option especially if you want to go out with non vegans wanting to try ramen.

I just feel a bit yucky as it is a pork restaurant, and have some macrobiotic (vegan) dishes. The restaurant feels quite sticky (they do lots of deep fried dishes).

The owner is quite friendly and have English menu, so that is probably why I have decided to go there twice.

For the second time, I had asked to make the Tantan men (I think this is the best vegan choice here) but it was quite salty again.

Both time I went there, I felt heavy and needing to do some detox as the dish is really heavy and salty.

Pros: Location - 5 min walk from Tsuruma
Cons: Restaurant does not seem clean, Smells like deep fried pork, Vegan ramen
abbajen
abbajen

Great way for vegetarians to try traditional foods

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

My husband and I went to Kiharutei and tried both varieties of tantanmen (noodle soup) and their kushiage. Make sure you ask for the macrobiotic versions - those are the vegetarian ones. Everything was super delicious, and extremely filling. The staff was super nice. The chef at Kiharutei cooked at the Berlin Olympics, too! If you make a reservation, you can get all kinds of special Chinese style foods.

Pros: Close to Tsurumai Station, Friendly Staff, Delicious Food
Cons: No English (Not really a con?)
tblois
tblois

Unique Dining Experience

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2013

I found this restaurant on a Japanese Vegeterian website. When I got there, I figured I had made a mistake; the sign said it was a pork cutlet (miso katsu) restaurant, and the front looked like it came from the Meiji (Victorian)Era.

We decided to try it and discovered they have a small number of macrobiotic vegetarian dishes; 2 types of noodle soup, 3 types of fried "chicken" (Karage), 3 types of some other deep fried "meat", and a variety of salads, and brown rice (Genmai).

Inside the restaurant feels more 1950's era, and slightly upscale. The staff speak little to no English, but they are friendly, can point out the Vegetarian choices on the menu, and ask if you want Genmai (not on the menu, but available). A good place to go if you want a change of pace from the usual Indian or "Organic Japanese" restaurants.

Pros: Different from usual vegetarian places, Friendly Staff, the Karage is delicious!
Cons: Limited menu, No English

Dear Owner and Manager of Kiharutei: